BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg ...

BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers

There are 71 comments on the The Herald story from Aug 3, 2006, titled BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers. In it, The Herald reports that:

BMW has agreed to pay $629,869 in back wages to 1,224 workers at its landmark plant in Spartanburg County under an agreement the German-based automaker reached with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald.

Bmw worker

Duncan, SC

#21 Jun 9, 2008
This week a 3yr old child named Tyler toured our plant who is dying of cancer. Through the "Make a Wish Foundation" that was his dream and wish made to come true. I've been at BMW for 8 years and I know how tough it can be, but through this I realize how thankful we must all be for our jobs, family and health. Sometimes God uses the little, innocent things in life to open our eyes.
T Clarke

Tallulah, LA

#22 Jul 10, 2008
I was involved in the start of this plant. Back then with the threat of a union the Management was more in a “lets work together” frame of mind. Now they are coming into the suppliers and dictating that the plant managers speak German or the American could hit the highway. At another supplier they had a list of employees to fire. Coincidently they were all the employees that had been there over 10 years. Because they have gotten away with treating their outsourced employees like crap they now can move on to the suppliers.
Since the republicans have been in power the common middle class person is getting stiffed by this globalist. These “be happy you are working” are the same type of people that fell for Stalin and his thugs depending on the masses being afraid of not getting their next meal.
Wake UP
Tony

Elizabethtown, KY

#23 Jul 17, 2008
Asian carmakers still show loyalty to their workers and their quality is tops. Other carmakers/companies take note: happy employees secure the company's future. Conversely, Unions protecting poor workers undercuts morale. Cutting costs by cutting workers' compensation and benefits is a downward spiral. I am experiencing the declining quality of BMW. I have put 900 miles on my X5 in the last 14 months just driving it to the dealer for warranty repairs. The 4 year warranty coverage is nice, but at today's gas prices, it still has cost me some $$$. This is my third and likely last BMW for a while.
another worker

AOL

#24 Jul 25, 2008
If you wanna work there so badly why don't you? You have no idea what the conditions are that we work under so shut your yap. Ever built 330 cars in 10 hours without a moment of time between at all? Furniture went over seas because of NAFTA. Talk to Bill Clinton. We are comparing ourselves to other automotive companys in that we make what your average Ford employee makes for a premium car brand and a higher qaulity car I might add. Every few months they come up with some other reason not to give us any more money and ration stupid stuff like gloves to save a penny. Meanwhile they seem to have plenty to build yet another plant here and in China. Not to mention putting there precious headquarters up on hydraulics so it will move up and down like a freakin' four cylinder engine. They cry poor and expect us to make up for it while 45% of the company's profit is made right here. They love this state because there is no business law whatsoever and they get to walk all over our rights. If we what to have a voice at all we need to unionize, the germans do and they get the whole summer off. There is also no night shift which I've been on for 8 years with no hope of ever going to first because you have to wait for someone on A-shift to die, retire, or get busted molesting children. I myself am quitting next year because the money is not worth the loss of time spent living like a vampire. Don't let this company make you a slave, hell the benefits are even being taken away slowly and I guarantee you when they open this company hospital thing it'll only get worse. They'll give you a bag of ice and ibuprofen for cancer. Wise up people they're laughing all the way to the bank while they throw that "weak american dollar" crap in your face, hey aren't they paying us with that same dollar? Huh? I'm outty!!
Tony

Elizabethtown, KY

#25 Jul 27, 2008
another worker wrote:
If you wanna work there so badly why don't you? You have no idea what the conditions are that we work under so shut your yap. Ever built 330 cars in 10 hours without a moment of time between at all? Furniture went over seas because of NAFTA. Talk to Bill Clinton. We are comparing ourselves to other automotive companys in that we make what your average Ford employee makes for a premium car brand and a higher qaulity car I might add. Every few months they come up with some other reason not to give us any more money and ration stupid stuff like gloves to save a penny. Meanwhile they seem to have plenty to build yet another plant here and in China. Not to mention putting there precious headquarters up on hydraulics so it will move up and down like a freakin' four cylinder engine. They cry poor and expect us to make up for it while 45% of the company's profit is made right here. They love this state because there is no business law whatsoever and they get to walk all over our rights. If we what to have a voice at all we need to unionize, the germans do and they get the whole summer off. There is also no night shift which I've been on for 8 years with no hope of ever going to first because you have to wait for someone on A-shift to die, retire, or get busted molesting children. I myself am quitting next year because the money is not worth the loss of time spent living like a vampire. Don't let this company make you a slave, hell the benefits are even being taken away slowly and I guarantee you when they open this company hospital thing it'll only get worse. They'll give you a bag of ice and ibuprofen for cancer. Wise up people they're laughing all the way to the bank while they throw that "weak american dollar" crap in your face, hey aren't they paying us with that same dollar? Huh? I'm outty!!
I don't think you were replying to me, but I wanted to comment on a few things. I have been in your plant many times as well as several Ford, GM, Chrysler and Nissan plants. The BMW plant might or might not be your only automotive experience- but 330 cars/shift is a leisurely pace. I'm not belittling your complaints but at the minivan plant in St. Louis in the mid-90's, for example, they were building 1100 cars/shift. Many other plants run close to a pace like that. The BMW plant is the quietest, cleanest plant I have been in and air conditioned. Many Northern auto plants did not used to be air conditioned and still may not be. Also, the autoplants around Detroit are not the safest places to work. I have seen holes in the walls from gunshots, restrooms and even some areas of the plants that must be avoided. I won't mention whose autoplants they were but one common thread among them- many workers always seemed to be near homicidal. Location didn't matter- North or South- these people were always stressed to the max.
My complaint about the Automotive industry is that nothing is for certain these days. If we perform poorly- for certain we will soon be out of work, but even when we perform exceptionally well, it is no guarantee that we will keep our jobs. If it can be done a little cheaper tomorrow in Mexico or China- the work is gone.
JoeDirt

O Fallon, MO

#26 Sep 18, 2008
As soon as the Dems retain office again, the Economy stabilizes, The Employee Free Choice Act Legislation passes. You guys in Spartanburg can vote in a Union and management wouldn't even know about it, nor who or how anyone voted. I have been a UAW brother for 25 yrs, I am 43 yrs old and will retire with full benefits at 48 yrs old. I've had Carpal Tunnel, Tendonitis, broken fingers, torn rotar cuffs etc...in my 25 yrs. I have been fixed by the company on their dime and am back 100%. This was accomplished because my Union protected me during my injuries that were directly caused by repetative motion and stresses of such work. Machines break down and wear out as do Humans and the Company should fix you just as they do the machine and put you back to work. The Union gives you a voice, stops harassment, favoritism, unfair workloads etc...My Company has made Billions of dollars with a unionized workforce and yes I have been compensated appropriately. I have a voice, if my boss unfairly harasses, yells at me and uses me as a whippin boy. I can and do yell back, tell him what I think and where to stick it, all as I am telling him to "Get My Steward" anyone in management dispises those words. Let me assure you those 3 words are the most effective words on a shop floor. That is the equalizer for the men and women doing the grunt work to produce the product. The Union Dues are nothing compared to piece of mind...Think about it...Joe
Curious

Durham, NC

#27 Nov 20, 2008
Doesn't unionization put BMW/SC on the path that has brought Detroit to its present state?
whycomplain

Wellford, SC

#28 Nov 22, 2008
If you are not happy leave!!!!!!
BMWMAU

Wilmington, NC

#29 Mar 20, 2009
I have worked at BMW under MAU. we were told we were going to get hired, and we would recieve higher pay and better benifits. never happend. It makes me sick that someone is getting paid double what I make and job secuirity and great benifits while the rest of us getting paid nearly nothing.

the only guys that said NO to unions are the over paid workers at BMW who don't have a clue what it was like or they must have forgot what it was like to make less. we are talking about a job that requires NO real education. They make more money than grad students who are starting their career. there is somethign wrong with that. and the supervisors there don't do anything they sit around and talk.

YES we do need a union, YES we do need new laws to protect workers.
Umustdidntgethir ed

Wellford, SC

#30 Mar 20, 2009
Move, quit, whiners, etc. Its funny how all of you who make these comments either do not work for BMW but tried to get a job there or you work their but its not the back breaking job that I perform. Hell no I won't do none of those things you have suggested because as long as I am there you people can not get hired there. I doubt if you could even do the work, at least that is what BMW thinks because they did not hire you. Just know this, if I had a wife who I loved but she continued to cheat on me and take take take what would I do if I believed all women were the same? Exactly, I would stay with her and pray things get better. That is what we do at BMW, we pray. The comments you make are like saying to an inmate in prison, I know you are getting rape every night and jumped on daily but you are living! Trust me there were the good ol days at BMW but they are long gone. True story!!!!!!!!!!
donald j curlew

Tampa, FL

#31 Jul 21, 2009
If you think the way they treat you now is bad, wait until they catch you trying to organize! But don't lose faith- Go for it!- you'll be happier and so will they when they see the product that workers with pride and a stake turn out!
citizen

United States

#32 Jul 22, 2009
the ONLY reason that plant is in s.c. is because they can get away with anything,treating workers like crap, been through it ,seen it firsthand.
kaibab

Campobello, SC

#33 Jul 22, 2009
Now the same plant is starting to get their parts form China instead of local suppliers. This is the same company that the citizens of SC paid millions of dollars in taxes to bring the plant to the state.
unemployed

Roxboro, NC

#34 Jul 22, 2009
I will be glad to take anyone's BMW job who does not appreciate it. Try making it with a family of 4 on $16,000 a year. Beans and taters might bring you back to reality.
kaibab

Campobello, SC

#35 Jul 23, 2009
unemployed wrote:
I will be glad to take anyone's BMW job who does not appreciate it. Try making it with a family of 4 on $16,000 a year. Beans and taters might bring you back to reality.
You won't do much better at $12.50 an hour at BMW. Remember this plant is suppose to be providing middle class jobs in an high tech industry. Heck, Costco's avg pay is $19 per hour!

If you ever did work there, you would find that the plant is used to protect the German work force whose unionized salaries are much higher than compared to the Americans... we are 2nd class.
kaibab

Campobello, SC

#36 Jul 25, 2009
unemployed wrote:
I will be glad to take anyone's BMW job who does not appreciate it. Try making it with a family of 4 on $16,000 a year. Beans and taters might bring you back to reality.
Maybe you will get your chance. BMW is now willing going to pay their associates to quit so they can hire more contract help. If you get a job, it will be the $12.50/hr rate.
Aaron

Panama City, FL

#37 Jul 25, 2009
kaibab wrote:
<quoted text>
You won't do much better at $12.50 an hour at BMW. Remember this plant is suppose to be providing middle class jobs in an high tech industry. Heck, Costco's avg pay is $19 per hour!
If you ever did work there, you would find that the plant is used to protect the German work force whose unionized salaries are much higher than compared to the Americans... we are 2nd class.
At 12.50, times 40 hours a week, times 52 weeks, thats $26,000 a year. Or $10K more than the guy with the family of 4 is making. Your still not going to be the next Bill Gates, but at the moment, it really is a whole lot better than nothing. Try working at McDonalds. If your the store manager, or the one or two salary level assistant managers, you will make a ton of cash. OTOH, even if your as high up as a shift manager on hourly pay, unless you have the rank for several years, you may be lucky to get 10 an hour.

BMW may not be the proverbial gravy job, but ask yourself this question. What's the unemployment rate in the Greenville/Spartanburg area? And unless you can get a job at Ingles or Wal-Mart, would you want to flip burger patties at McDonalds all day, as a part timer, with no benefits period?

Also, what will you do if the company decides to close shop. You will be out of work, and I guarantee there will be a lot of american owned, non union parts suppliers that will be very displeased with you.
citizen

United States

#38 Jul 26, 2009
earl suck, along with all of nc. and sc.
kaibab

Campobello, SC

#39 Jul 26, 2009
Aaron wrote:
<quoted text>
At 12.50, times 40 hours a week, times 52 weeks, thats $26,000 a year. Or $10K more than the guy with the family of 4 is making. Your still not going to be the next Bill Gates, but at the moment, it really is a whole lot better than nothing. Try working at McDonalds. If your the store manager, or the one or two salary level assistant managers, you will make a ton of cash. OTOH, even if your as high up as a shift manager on hourly pay, unless you have the rank for several years, you may be lucky to get 10 an hour.
BMW may not be the proverbial gravy job, but ask yourself this question. What's the unemployment rate in the Greenville/Spartanburg area? And unless you can get a job at Ingles or Wal-Mart, would you want to flip burger patties at McDonalds all day, as a part timer, with no benefits period?
Also, what will you do if the company decides to close shop. You will be out of work, and I guarantee there will be a lot of american owned, non union parts suppliers that will be very displeased with you.
Wow, Aaron sounds like you would probably sell out your Mother or daughters pretty cheap. Your arguments are typical of that from a regular company suck-up.

Bottom line, you are solely advocating the trasfer of wealth from the middle class to the big corps!

If you new anything about manufacturing, you would know the the average pay (union/non-union) for hourly workers has not kept up with inflation or the pay/benefit standards established in other industrialized nations. We are working our way to being 2nd class citizens and you are expressing support for this.

Lastly as a tier 1 mfg engineer, I know from first hand experience the US auto suppliers are suffereing from due to big auto companies out-sourcing parts to China!

Fact: Ford Motor Co - all competitive quotes must be from Chinese sources!
Lynn Smith

Roxboro, NC

#40 Aug 13, 2009
Carmillworker wrote:
<quoted text> One word, "MOVE"!!!
Be happy you have a job if you don't want it. I take it, jobs are hard to find. I been out of a job for 11 months. You should be thanking God every for allowing you to work.Quit it's alot of people who will take your place. Have Bless Day!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prominent Spartanburg, SC Plastic Surgeon: Dr. ... (Nov '09) Wed One and only 4
Chelsea Nicole Sanford May 23 Wondering 1
Pastor No Better Than a Thief (Mar '16) May 15 Theourgoi 3
Where to buy spice (Nov '16) Apr 28 lol 2
Childcare Apr '17 Stayathomemom 1
Reidville Road McDonalds (Aug '10) Apr '17 Frustrasted_w_Window 7
Mungo Homes - New Ivywood on Old Furnace Mar '17 Buyer beware 1

Spartanburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spartanburg Mortgages