BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers

Full story: The Herald 71
BMW has agreed to pay $629,869 in back wages to 1,224 workers at its landmark plant in Spartanburg County under an agreement the German-based automaker reached with the U.S. Department of Labor. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
worker

Moore, SC

#1 Aug 8, 2006
Everyone would be suprised at how many ways BMW employees are treated badly and unfairly.
The wages are nowhere close to compesating for the abuse.
another worker

United States

#2 Aug 13, 2006
Thats true way under paid, the associates has no say into anything its BmW's way or the highway, Cant wait for the UAW to come in
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Roxboro, NC

#3 Aug 25, 2006
JUST BE GLAD THAT YOU HAVE JOBS AND PLACES TO WORK. WE LIVE IN AN AREA IN NORTH CAROLINA THAT THE FURNITURE BUSINESS HAS GONE TO CHINA..NO JOBS HERE..MAYBE WE SHOULD COME DOWN TO S.C. AND TAKE THE JOBS THAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT..BOOHOO..I HEAR YOU ARE ONLY MAKING $25.00 or more an hour, which amounts to $50 TO $60,OOO A YEAR. IF THE UNION COMES IN YOU MAY GET YOUR WISH ABOUT NOT HAVING TO SLAVE FOR SUCH A BAD PLACE...IT MAY CLOSE DOWN!!!!LIKE THE FURNITURE FACTORIES HERE HAVE DONE.
snoopyzpal

El Segundo, CA

#4 Aug 25, 2006
worker wrote:
Everyone would be suprised at how many ways BMW employees are treated badly and unfairly.
What can the Union provide for you as an individual or as a team that the company does not already provide? Make certain all avenues are visited before inviting an outsider to come into your home. Why give your hard earned money to a group of people that view "you" as just another number? Remember, they are only in it for the money. Why else would they want to form and get involved into your business? Hmmmm, could it be that for 4500 associates @$35 weekly dues for 52 weeks =$8,190,000 annually. That is alot of money to pay annually to some group just so that you can say your a member. This equates to $1820 of your earnings to a group that you don't even know! I would hate to know that I took this kind of money out of my families pocket to give away. But then again, what do I know. I once worked for the Union.
No Union

Roxboro, NC

#5 Aug 27, 2006
The only ones who truly benefit from the union coming in and charging dues, is the union...WAKE UP PEOPLE....You are making more money than anyone else.. Think of all the car makers that have the union and now they have closed down a lot of their plants [Ford for one]...I think I would rather have a job than have a union and pay the union dues.
xyz

United States

#6 Apr 9, 2007
worker wrote:
Find another job.
quit whining

United States

#7 Apr 10, 2007
another worker wrote:
Thats true way under paid, the associates has no say into anything its BmW's way or the highway, Cant wait for the UAW to come in
Since BMW "owns" the company and factory, they not only have a right, but an obligation, to dictate policy. Your right is to choose whether you want to work there or not. If you choose to work there, you have an obligation to consistently demonstrate a strong work ethic, and a positive attitude. If this is not possible for you within the BMW environment, you should work somewhere else.
Give it a rest

Marion, NC

#8 Sep 27, 2007
We have to put up with long hours and hard work....but this is a good job. I doubled my pay when I changed jobs....I enjoy the extra money.....yes I worked damn hard before...if you find somewhere around here that is giving money away let me know.I belive in freedom of speech and see no reason for a union...just chill out and let me save for later years...
Tired

United States

#9 Oct 16, 2007
worker wrote:
QUIT I DID
Stop Whining

Englewood, CO

#10 Oct 17, 2007
No matter how much these jerks make, they always whine
Give it a rest wrote:
We have to put up with long hours and hard work....but this is a good job. I doubled my pay when I changed jobs....I enjoy the extra money.....yes I worked damn hard before...if you find somewhere around here that is giving money away let me know.I belive in freedom of speech and see no reason for a union...just chill out and let me save for later years...
STOPYOURBITCHIN

Taylorsville, NC

#11 Oct 18, 2007
My husband works for a company that makes parts for BMW. He works just as hard and just as long of hours and doesnt make what you guys make. Not only that when your plant shuts down for a week or two you all get paid for it, and yet when you all shut down his plant has to shut down, but these guys dont get paid for it. They just get to sit at home and wait on things to get back up and running, while you all get to enjoy your two week holiday and not worry about how you are gonna pay the bills with no check coming in!
Buck

Englewood, CO

#12 Oct 18, 2007
Cry me a River...LOL
ProdAssoc

United States

#13 Oct 29, 2007
I enjoy the money I make and the ability to care for my family. I do not like the idea of a Union, however let me share some examples of why I would consider it now.
I was hired almost 10 years ago; the benfits where excellent!, the pay was more then I had ever made before, I had a true sence that they cared about me and my family, medical insurance was free and there were no pre-existing penalty. About five years ago the company began a shift; the pay was still great and most things had not changes with one exception, new hires had to pay for there dependents health care. Resonable right, the larger the company became the more health care expence there would be. Soon that translated into everyone had to pay for health care, still not too alarming.
The simple truth is that our benefits have been widdled down every year sence. Each time they take some away they try to make us think that it is for our own good, "JOB SECURITY". I got a letter today that explained how they are now going to take even more of our benfits away. There is no end in sight, they will continue to take things away as long as they can. The fact is they can do anything they want to, Right to Work State, you know.
I remember working check to check and I do not want to go back to that however I need my family to good health care coverage that does not cost me an arm and a leg when the job I was hired to do was going to cover it all but 10% co-pay for everyone.
Those who do not work there do not and will not understand my frustrations because they have not witnessed the erosion first hand.
These and others are the reasons I would entertain the thought of accepting a Union at BMW MC in Spartanburg SC.
Carmillworker

Spartanburg, SC

#14 Jan 13, 2008
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU wrote:
JUST BE GLAD THAT YOU HAVE JOBS AND PLACES TO WORK. WE LIVE IN AN AREA IN NORTH CAROLINA THAT THE FURNITURE BUSINESS HAS GONE TO CHINA..NO JOBS HERE..MAYBE WE SHOULD COME DOWN TO S.C. AND TAKE THE JOBS THAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT..BOOHOO..I HEAR YOU ARE ONLY MAKING $25.00 or more an hour, which amounts to $50 TO $60,OOO A YEAR. IF THE UNION COMES IN YOU MAY GET YOUR WISH ABOUT NOT HAVING TO SLAVE FOR SUCH A BAD PLACE...IT MAY CLOSE DOWN!!!!LIKE THE FURNITURE FACTORIES HERE HAVE DONE.
One word, "MOVE"!!!
BMWworker

Spartanburg, SC

#15 Jan 13, 2008
Maybe all potential BMW customers should know their Z4's, X5's, and X7's are being assembled by inexperienced, untrained low paid temp workers. BMW currently has about 900 @ plant Spartanburg and they continue to hire more and more each day. I personally have seen the quality drop dramatically since this trend began.
BMWworker

Spartanburg, SC

#16 Jan 13, 2008
Typo above, meant to type Z4's, X5's and X6's
right2worksux

Greer, SC

#17 Jan 15, 2008
Funny how all these non-BMW workers want to jump onboard with BMW. All I have to say is go ahead and work for $12.50/hr. That's right $12.50/hr as a temporary worker (because that is all BMW is going to higher from now on) while you bust your A%* right beside a guy that's making $25.00/hr. I know how it feels because I am a MAU (that's the temp. company I work for)worker. The only thing I have to look forward to is that BMW and MAU follow up on thier promises of hiring me full time. But you know what? I am starting to see what the production workers are facing and I'm not sure if I can trust that the "good paying,good benefits jobs will be there. I was told that the company goal is to have a workforce of 66% temp. Not to mention that the suppliers are being brought in to take our jobs. ie. Magna Stire workers taking over our door line and other jobs. It is true that the quality of BMW's product is built with less quality. My feelings about quality is that if I make half of what a BMW worker makes, then all I'm responsible for is only half the quality. Without a union BMW will never higher anything but temps. If they had union representation then maybe I'd have a chance at a better life for my family. Oh yah, Buck, what if they started replacing managers and staff with temps and your lame manager job was lost. Would you buy me a canoe and paddle before you start crying me a river? I'm sure it's going to be a looooooooooooong deeeeeeeeeeep river.
BMWworker

Spartanburg, SC

#18 Jan 17, 2008
There you have it, straight from the temp employees mouth. Quality is not a priority because they make less money than the regular BMW employees. That should make all you future customers very happy about your new 40 to 80k "Ultimate Driving" purchases. I agree we need a union because as far as hiring temps full time, I haven't seen it happen since I've been at BMW and thats been quite a while now. BMW is using you guys and promising a full time job that they never plan on delivering. Just like they did to the 8000 German Temps right before Christmas last year and also the Pindrum temps two years ago before Christmas. Any of us could be next.
A Worker

AOL

#19 Mar 6, 2008
I'm sure ther are a lot of other workers who have been hurt on the job at the plant. I personally have met many. I was terminated for being injured although my managers did not want me to go. They fought to keep me on even with restricted duty. BMW said either the doctor had to release me to full duty or it was over. I cannot stand 8 to 10 hours anymore, but I know there was something I could have done to keep a job at the plant. The pay IS great, but there are many people out there who are feeling the effects on their bodies. I feel that people are treated as a piece of machinery and if you break, YOU CAN AND WILL BE REPLACED! I do not mean to moan about my problems, but there are some real issues at the plant a lot of people do not know about. I wish everyone well and hope everyone can make it to retirement. Just don't bank on it.
8yrPA

United States

#20 Apr 10, 2008
All the non-Bmw workers see is the $$$.
They just do know the things that happen @ this plant. They love to project the good image....

I feel sorry for the MAU associates. At least we do get a good wage, they get half that to put up with the same treatment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Ford F350 7.3 powerstroke Sep 16 andrusha92 1
Gay Teens Of SC Sep 16 jity 3
Review: RTS LLC (Dec '12) Sep 11 Kirby Lover 15
14-year-old Girl Dies Week After Golf Cart Fall (Jan '08) Sep 9 FearGod-ForChange 16
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Sep 8 mossad was hacked 1,150
Any one knows John Birch from Boothill band? (Aug '09) Aug '14 Your mom 16
Review: Randys Auto Autobody Aug '14 public 1
•••
•••
•••

Spartanburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Spartanburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••