Univ of Phoenix is a scam

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A real College Graduate

Columbia, TN

#1 Apr 14, 2013
I really hope that all the people that waste their money on these, "online colleges" realize that they are just pissing their money away. Statistics show that they simply are nothing more than a fraud, as in most professions it is nearly impossible to get certified jobs such as; teaching, engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. Basically, you are wasting your time and your money on a worthless electronic degree. If you really want to go to college then go to a REAL SCHOOL! Tennessee Tech is just up the road folks. Even if you can't attend class everyday, Tech offers real online classes towards a real degree. I'm just trying to warn you folks on the dangers of trusting an online "college". They're scams.
So true

Lexington, SC

#2 Apr 14, 2013
Yea they shouldn't be allowed to mislead people the way they do. They're nothing but a diploma mill. Most companies refuse to hire them and nobody considers them actual college graduates. They're not. Not even a real college.
I agree

Murfreesboro, TN

#3 Apr 14, 2013
I have a couple friends that graduated from phoenix and both have been told by several companies that they dont recognize their degree. but best of luck to whoever goes there, there is always a few lucky ones.
Bull

Clinton, TN

#4 Apr 14, 2013
A real College Graduate wrote:
I really hope that all the people that waste their money on these, "online colleges" realize that they are just pissing their money away. Statistics show that they simply are nothing more than a fraud, as in most professions it is nearly impossible to get certified jobs such as; teaching, engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. Basically, you are wasting your time and your money on a worthless electronic degree. If you really want to go to college then go to a REAL SCHOOL! Tennessee Tech is just up the road folks. Even if you can't attend class everyday, Tech offers real online classes towards a real degree. I'm just trying to warn you folks on the dangers of trusting an online "college". They're scams.
This is a naive opinion. While I do not doubt that some throw resumes in the trash; it's simply because they're naive.

1. The United States military uses UoP for educating soldiers.

2. The college is completely accredited.

I hire people on a routine basis and have seen people with an associates, and even a bachelors degree get a masters degree with Vanderbilt.

They either had an associates and got a bachelors degree with Vanderbilt, or had a bachelors from UoP and got a masters from Vanderbilt.

The real problem is with older people not understanding how online education works.

University of TN, Vanderbilt, University of Mass, Pitt, Ohio .. All of them offer online degrees.

Further, UoP has live campuses. Are those degrees worthless too?

What IS important is that you further your education and better yourself.

That being said, it's also important for people to research into cost. UoP is very expensive.

I obtained an AA from UoP, BS from UT and now I'm in my Masters. If my AA was worthless, I wouldn't have been accepted into UT or the other college that I am now attending.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Law Doggy”

Since: Sep 11

New York, NY

#5 Apr 15, 2013
A real College Graduate wrote:
University of Phoenix isn't just an online college. They have campuses around the country.

You condemn online schooling, yet you promote it in the same rant. Oh the irony.
PowerT

Nashville, TN

#6 Apr 15, 2013
There's nothing wrong with online schools. Just watch out for schools that exist solely to make a profit. University of Phoenix is part of a for-profit company. You can get a much more respected and more affordable degree from a state school.
well

Kansas City, MO

#7 Apr 15, 2013
PowerT wrote:
There's nothing wrong with online schools. Just watch out for schools that exist solely to make a profit. University of Phoenix is part of a for-profit company. You can get a much more respected and more affordable degree from a state school.
Show me one school that isn't out for profit. LOL
So true

Salisbury, NC

#8 Apr 16, 2013
Lol only people that go to online "schools" are ones that can't cut it in a real college. They differ from places like Tn Tech and others that offer online degrees. Not to mention that the accreditation Phoenix have are made up and about as useless as the "degree" you get. Most college educated people laugh at the ones that go to such a place.
good grief

Morristown, TN

#9 Apr 16, 2013
So true wrote:
Lol ony people that go to online "schools" are ones that can't cut it in a real college. They differ from places like Tn Tech and others that offer online degrees. Not to mention that the accreditation Phoenix have are made up and about as useless as the "degree" you get. Most college educated people laugh at the ones that go to such a place.
Their accreditation is the same exact as Purdue university. Not quite "made up" as you assert.

I would be interested to hear, however, how you determined that this school is different from other online schools.

Question though, what about the people who never attend online but go to the live campus?
Warning

Clover, SC

#10 Apr 16, 2013
DONT waste your money!!!!! Went there to be a teacher and the only job I could get was at a pre school, didn't even need a degree for that. it's not just phoenix, all those online schools are the same. People are slowly learning after they graduate.
Funny

Dallas, TX

#11 Apr 16, 2013
Warning wrote:
DONT waste your money!!!!! Went there to be a teacher and the only job I could get was at a pre school, didn't even need a degree for that. it's not just phoenix, all those online schools are the same. People are slowly learning after they graduate.
To clarify, in your mind, University of Phoenix online is the same as Middle Tennessee State University online? Wow.

University of Phoenix isn't just online.

Jobs don't just pop up out of no where when you finish your last class. You have to work for and toward a job; it's not just given to you because you completed a degree.
Warning

Clover, SC

#12 Apr 16, 2013
MTSU is not an online school. The point is online schools like Phoenix should not be compared to real colleges. Hell, a community college or trade school has more prestige than any online school. The fact that you can't grasp that shows you've probably believed the infomercial they sold you.
good grief

Greeneville, TN

#13 Apr 16, 2013
Warning wrote:
MTSU is not an online school. The point is online schools like Phoenix should not be compared to real colleges. Hell, a community college or trade school has more prestige than any online school. The fact that you can't grasp that shows you've probably believed the infomercial they sold you.
University of Phoenix isn't just an online school, either, super-genius.

LOL
Warning

Clover, SC

#14 Apr 16, 2013
Yes it is. They do not offer a traditional 4 year degree at any of their satellite campuses. They offer a small amount of classes that are mostly for labs. Try and sex it up all you want, they're just an overpriced trade school.
good grief

Greeneville, TN

#15 Apr 16, 2013
Warning wrote:
Yes it is. They do not offer a traditional 4 year degree at any of their satellite campuses. They offer a small amount of classes that are mostly for labs. Try and sex it up all you want, they're just an overpriced trade school.
Oh, so simply because you can obtain two degrees instead of one specific one means that it's not a "real college?" LOL..

Most community colleges don't have traditional 4 year degrees, either. Are they not "real colleges?" LOL

Please go ahead and explain why Vanderbilt would accept someone into a graduate degree program that has both an AA and BS from the University of Phoenix.

Go ahead, I'll wait ...
Funny

Dallas, TX

#16 Apr 16, 2013
Warning wrote:
Uhm. Most community colleges don't offer "traditional 4 year degrees" either.

Do you even think prior to hitting the "post comment" button?
good grief

Greeneville, TN

#17 Apr 16, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm. Most community colleges don't offer "traditional 4 year degrees" either.
Do you even think prior to hitting the "post comment" button?
Apparently they don't. It's humorous, nonetheless.

To them, it's a worthless degree. Yet, it's quite interesting how I was accepted into the MBA program at Vanderbilt with said worthless degrees. I wasn't even required to take the GMAT for entry. My transcripts completely transferred and I didn't even have to take additional prerequisites. But I had worthless degrees, right? lol .. ;)

Expensive? Yes. Overpriced? Yes. Worthless? No.

“666”

Since: Oct 09

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Apr 16, 2013
Warning wrote:
Perhaps you need to educate yourself a little bit.

Right now, many community colleges don't offer the traditional 4 year degrees. There's a reason for this, which we will come back to and discuss.

Additionally, they actually offer a wide range of classes at their campuses like Nashville.

In short, you've based your entire premise, which has conveniently changed over course, that the school is not legitimate because they do not offer the traditional 4 year degree programs.

Let us draw a parallel, shall we? By your logic, that would mean all community colleges that are 2 year based would be illegitimate. Oops!

Sit down, I'm not finished.

Further, let's draw an extended argument. Many of the 2 year based community colleges also have online degrees. Oops!

Now, let us switch tracks.

The majority of colleges and universities that offer online degrees, do so in specific degree increments (Associates, Bach, Masters, Doctorates). This would include MTSU, ETSU, etc.

Yes, you can do a traditional 4 year at the campus, but not online. There is also a reason for this, which we're fixing to cover.

The fact that the college doesn't offer a 4 year degree is based on many reasons, but the one we will point out more specifically is that it isn't economically of interest.

You see, traditional 4 year programs are decreasing in demand. This is because instead of 1 baccalaureate for one concentrated program, it's much more feasible to have two specific degrees in certain areas.

Therefore, them choosing not to provide a traditional 4 year program is completely irrelevant; as you're now just trying to grasp straws.

It sounds like you have a bit of sour grapes from not getting a job you naively believed you could get without your research.

Simply completing a degree program does not qualify you to be a teacher. At ANY school.
Warning

Clover, SC

#19 Apr 17, 2013
At no point did I or anyone else on here say anything about a community college offering a 4 year degree. Everyone that read your replies left a little dumber. Very few colleges will accept credit transfer, TN Tech,MTSU, UT, etc. will not take them. So keep lying to yourselves. Watch your little infomercials. "unvi of phoenix" is a joke to academia and deserves the backlash it gets from everyone.
good grief

Greeneville, TN

#20 Apr 17, 2013
Warning wrote:
At no point did I or anyone else on here say anything about a community college offering a 4 year degree. Everyone that read your replies left a little dumber. Very few colleges will accept credit transfer, TN Tech,MTSU, UT, etc. will not take them. So keep lying to yourselves. Watch your little infomercials. "unvi of phoenix" is a joke to academia and deserves the backlash it gets from everyone.
No shit, Sherlock. The point being that you insisted that the University of Phoenix is less of a college because they didn't offer traditional 4 year degrees. Well guess what, a community college doesn't either.

Oh, and UT accepts the credits. I checked prior to changing my mind to Vandy.

You're just full of ignorance, huh?

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sparta car wrecks extortion 44 min keysa71 1
Jeff Young caves to Lowery 2 hr Another Citizen 14
Rachel Lowery & Mike Phifer 2 hr Seriously 7
Trump-Out Pence-In 2 hr Lola 38
White County Sheriff Race , Simmons or Page 4 hr palo alto 34
UFO sighting (Mar '17) 8 hr Dairyman 44
Bearded guy at Hardee's? 10 hr Mexico 1

Sparta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance