Deputy Involved Shooting Today

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
JohnnyNitro

Cookeville, TN

#1 Jul 22, 2011
anyone hear what happened? who all was involved?
on news

Columbia, SC

#2 Jul 22, 2011
JohnnyNitro wrote:
anyone hear what happened? who all was involved?
It was on Channel 5 news but no names.
on news

Columbia, SC

#3 Jul 22, 2011
on news wrote:
<quoted text>
It was on Channel 5 news but no names.
Here is the link.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15133014/ma...
Roger Rabbit

Cookeville, TN

#4 Jul 22, 2011
Isn't this the second person in 3 years the deputies have killed?
Beebop

Cookeville, TN

#5 Jul 22, 2011
Shoupe's Storm Trooper Deputies.
stop the madness

United States

#6 Jul 22, 2011
Roger Rabbit wrote:
It has been 18 months.
White County resident Melvin Whitefield was reportedly killed in an exchange of gunfire with deputies from White County Sheriff Department in the parking lot of Highway 70 Market, on Smithville Highway, in Cassville.

According to Kristin Helm with Tennessee Bureau of Investigations, officers with WCSD reportedly responded to a call regarding goats being “at-large” at the convenience store, at approximately 8 a.m., on Jan. 16, 2010.
I'm sure the DA will say this one was justified too. You should know by now, they can and will do what they want too.
Just saying

Cookeville, TN

#7 Jul 22, 2011
Roger Rabbit wrote:
What's your point? Have you given any thought that maybe their lives were in danger from this person? They don't take that kind of durastic measures for no good reason.
stop the madness

United States

#8 Jul 22, 2011
Just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point? Have you given any thought that maybe their lives were in danger from this person? They don't take that kind of durastic measures for no good reason.

The point would be maybe there is a better way to deal with individuals. Communicate, negotiate, defuse the situation. Brutt and/or lethal force should not be the SOP for bringing someone in.
lol

Sparta, TN

#9 Jul 22, 2011
ask shane tate of grundy county that got a bullet in the head if he wishes he negotiated...he was shot and killed in 2008 in the same situation..you are a idiot madness..get real
Wait a minute

Manchester, TN

#10 Jul 22, 2011
stop the madness wrote:
<quoted text>
The point would be maybe there is a better way to deal with individuals. Communicate, negotiate, defuse the situation. Brutt and/or lethal force should not be the SOP for bringing someone in.
Thats easy to say when your not the one with a split second to make a decision on how to deal with an individual pointing a weapon at you.
on news

Columbia, SC

#11 Jul 22, 2011
on news wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the link.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15133014/ma...
Looks like WSMV also has information about it only they list the address. http://www.wsmv.com/story/15133131/man-killed...
Just saying

Cookeville, TN

#12 Jul 22, 2011
stop the madness wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhh, I see, so by your silly comment we should ASSume that the idiot with a gun is in the mood to negotiate? Let me ask you something, what would you do with some jerk came up to you and he had a gun? How many balls does it take to be waving around a gun (or whatever he was doing) around the cops? If it takes that many cops to serve a warrant, they must have known his background. But, you go ahead, communicate, negotitate and defuse the situation with the man with a gun. Better yet, why don't you walk in the cops shoes for a day and see what all they have to go through"? Don't put down the cops when you don't know the situation or what they were faced with.
Citizen

Cookeville, TN

#13 Jul 22, 2011
stop the madness wrote:
<quoted text>
One question for you "stop the madness" What would you do if someone pointed a gun at you?? Would you want to take time to "communicate"? Maybe you could say "lets talk about this" while he was firing his weapon AT YOU! Get real.....the only "madness" was the man who drew a weapon on an Officer. What happened today is called SELF DEFENSE. The Officers were doing their job. If the Officer were your husband, son, father or loved one would you want them to chance "negotiating etc" in this situation?? I think not!
wavy gravy

Oneida, TN

#14 Jul 22, 2011
If someone points a gun it's all bets off you have the right to protect yourself no matter what, shoot first, talk later...
My Sparta news

Cookeville, TN

#15 Jul 22, 2011
There is a small article on myspartanews.com it doesn't say too much at this point, just what the rest of the news is saying, there are pics.
BOUTTIME

Manchester, TN

#16 Jul 22, 2011
Just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhh, I see, so by your silly comment we should ASSume that the idiot with a gun is in the mood to negotiate? Let me ask you something, what would you do with some jerk came up to you and he had a gun? How many balls does it take to be waving around a gun (or whatever he was doing) around the cops? If it takes that many cops to serve a warrant, they must have known his background. But, you go ahead, communicate, negotitate and defuse the situation with the man with a gun. Better yet, why don't you walk in the cops shoes for a day and see what all they have to go through"? Don't put down the cops when you don't know the situation or what they were faced with.
AMEN!!!!! Preach on!!! oh how easy it easy for people to sit back, judge and ridicule and not be there at the time the sh!t went down, NO and I repeat NO two situations are the same!!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#17 Jul 22, 2011
James Edward Margeson from doyle
Really wanna know

Pleasant Hill, TN

#18 Jul 22, 2011
Yes the cops knew this guys background...gosh who doesn't...he was a dope head, that wasn't no secret, his wife had her kids taken away from her because of drugs...so i don't blame the cops for showing up with back up...but all i have to say is the fact remains...if your going to pull a gun on a person...and a cop at that...then you deserve for something like this to happen....i mean come on...why would you point a gun...loaded none the less at a cop????? When it comes to a person pointing a gun at a cop...sorry guys...all beats are off!!! One more dope head off our streets...oh and they arrested his wife as well..however she got out on bail...
Ravishing Ruby

Morrison, TN

#19 Jul 22, 2011
My son is a police officer and as a mother, I pray that he never has to be involved in something like this but I know that if he is in that situation that he has been trained to do whatever it takes to secure his safety and if at all possible the safety of the suspect. I don't think that we should jump to any conclusions as to whether the deputy did what was necessary or not since we weren't there to see what actually happened. It is a sad situation and I am sorry that anyone had to lose their lives.
Common sense

Cookeville, TN

#20 Jul 22, 2011
I just think the whole thing could have been handled in a much wiser fashion. This is White Co. Tn, not Los Angeles. They could have taken him as he was leaving the corner market and then took him to Moccasin Bend for some real help. Instead, this Sheriff took the heavy handed approach (as usual) and sent an enormous number of heavily armed men dressed in para military garb. The shooting may have been justified, but the adrenaline charged atmosphere the Sheriffs Dept. created was not justified. Remember this when voting time comes back around. I will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ponzi Scheme 1 hr spartaguy65 7
J Wilson (May '13) 5 hr Phine 7
who is Kane young? 6 hr OneBanana 1
El Tap or El Long View 8 hr nutzaplente 4
Religious blinding 8 hr nutzaplente 6
Nutzaplente 8 hr nutzaplente 43
Sparta's finest 8 hr TTH 24
Beer NO, Alcohol YES - Crazy Vote 11 hr Sparta 87

Sparta Jobs

More from around the web