Bear in White County?

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Huntress

Quebeck, TN

#1 Jul 10, 2010
Big round brown furry animal spotted near Story Mountain. Too big to be a dog, not quite as big as a full-sized horse. Pretty sure this was a bear, saw it from behind as it ran off into the woods. Anyone else seen anything like this?
Zack

Sparta, TN

#2 Jul 10, 2010
There were rumors of a bear in Spencer, so perhaps this isn't too far-fetched.
HS Thompson

Orangeburg, SC

#3 Jul 10, 2010
I keep a big ol gal up there, I call her Gladys. I take her a big sack of Sonic burgers or Krystals every couple of days it might have been her.
Shes kind of hairy and spooks real easy so be careful or it could have been one of those vampire women, they like hamburgers too.
wow

Quebeck, TN

#4 Jul 10, 2010
has anyone ever seen a black panther up in blue springs area?

“I'm The Cult Of Personality”

Since: Jun 09

The Ville

#5 Jul 11, 2010
The militant african american group or a actual black panther?
I have

Sparta, TN

#6 Jul 11, 2010
wow wrote:
has anyone ever seen a black panther up in blue springs area?
I have seen a black panther on Coal Bank, which leads into Blue Springs. I've also seen black panther in Glade Creek area.
Fullofit

Quebeck, TN

#7 Jul 11, 2010
There are NO panthers or bears in White County
Show pictures or shut up
Huntress

Quebeck, TN

#8 Jul 11, 2010
Well, actually I have heard of several who have seen black panther on Bon Air Mtn and tell you this WAS a bear. Had to be. Too big to be any breed of dog.
General Lee

Lexington, TN

#9 Jul 11, 2010
Fullofit wrote:
Show pictures or shut up
I'll have you know that there are a few on the hill and some on Lee st.!
CitizenX

Manchester, TN

#10 Jul 11, 2010
Was it Chris Faught with his shirt off running around?

“I'm The Cult Of Personality”

Since: Jun 09

The Ville

#11 Jul 11, 2010
Wasn't me, I shave.
yesfan

Carlisle, SC

#12 Jul 11, 2010
There are bears out past Spencer, Savage Gulf park had bears. Remember it wasnt but a few summers ago there was a bear killed on 40, was it up by Monteray? All I can remember is towards Knoxville from here. They roam a huge area, so it is certainly possible. Years ago, they were tracking one that was meandering from up north and was coming down through Kentucky. And this spring saw a bob cat in Van Buren County, a big one. Then again, dont know if it was the same cat. Magnificent animal.
whoops

Sparta, TN

#13 Jul 11, 2010
there was a bear claw print found a couple yrs ago on gum spring mtn. the game warden came out & measured print etc and said it was definitly a bear print...
con man

Robbins, TN

#14 Jul 11, 2010
a year or so ago one attack a horse behind gribbles landing
believer

Sparta, TN

#15 Jul 11, 2010
Fullofit wrote:
Show pictures or shut up
Maybe when one eats your ass off, it will make a believer out of you!
Bottom Line

Oneida, TN

#16 Jul 12, 2010
Didn't the wild life people release black bears in to South Fork Park several years ago, and it was killed closed to Monterey last year. From the size given the bear would have had to be under one year of age. Most likely 9 months. I feel sure the Bear sow was in the vicinity because she takes good care of her young.
Bottom Line

Oneida, TN

#17 Jul 12, 2010
I shold have said"one was killed" close to Montery
correct

Mcminnville, TN

#18 Jul 12, 2010
There were some bears released a few years ago in Big South Fork Park. The summer before last when it was so dry, there was a few spotted in different areas of White County. It was so dry the natural food sources they have were dried up so they were going closer to houses looking for food. On Coal Bank there is a small pond that had ducks on it. The ducks were disappearing on at a time each night. The man that owns the pond went back there at night and saw the bear getting another of his ducks.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Jul 12, 2010
why wouldnt there be large cats and bear ? We have mountains and woods all around us ?! it dosent surprise me at all <<<(Fullofit)
BearCove

Edisto Island, SC

#20 Jul 12, 2010
To my knowledge, the last KNOWN bears in White county were in Bear Cove(thus the name). I had a great uncle that passed away in his 90's a few years ago that actually had a photo of some bear cubs that were in the bear cove area(Early 1900's???). No idea where that photo is today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oddie Shoupe Minions 2 hr MRS TTH 3
Farron Miller 2 hr moma lulu 10
Billy Ray arrested (May '14) 2 hr Jeff Foxworthy 3
Democrats 3 hr The Don 20
The Sheriff Race Is Underway ! Sun Matchgame 18
Classmates that are gone but not forgotten (May '09) Sun Dan Strickland 604
White mustang Sun Chevy 12

Sparta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance