White County School Closings

White County School Closings

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 09

Clarksville, TN

#1 Feb 25, 2010
Does anyone else find it funny and almost sda that our schools get closed every time there are snow flurries? Heck, sometimes we close our schools if flurries are in the forecast. I just thank God that my kids graduated from a school system that values education and doesn't close whenever a snow flurry is in the air.
snow

Columbia, SC

#2 Feb 25, 2010
Most of the time when the schools are closed it is because Bon Air Mountain has accumlated snow. this morning they had 2" Can't take a chance with kids on the buses. There may not be anything in town, but the mountain back roads are treacherous.
great

Columbia, SC

#3 Feb 25, 2010
Gift-of-Gab wrote:
Does anyone else find it funny and almost sda that our schools get closed every time there are snow flurries? Heck, sometimes we close our schools if flurries are in the forecast. I just thank God that my kids graduated from a school system that values education and doesn't close whenever a snow flurry is in the air.
Our school system values education to.There was snow on the mountain this morning.The days will be made up or taken away from spring break.You can't risk childrens lives just to get out of school on time.
concerned

Viola, TN

#4 Feb 25, 2010
I'm glad the school system values the lives of my children. Better safe than sorry. Not only could a bus wreck, but what if a child was ran over by a car sliding on an icy road while waiting on the bus? Then we would blame the school for being open.
well

Columbia, SC

#5 Feb 26, 2010
I live on Bon Air Mountain and yes is was very bad yesterday morning. It did melt quickly, but how were we suppose to know it would. Take it easy and get back, so what we got another snow day. who cares. lol
well

Columbia, SC

#6 Feb 26, 2010
kick back***********
Silly

Cameron, SC

#7 Feb 26, 2010
I think it is getting to be a joke. I can understand why they do it. Let them have school and a bus slide off the road and the lawsuites will be flying. My question is where is it written that it is required for a kid to ride a bus? I will be willling to bet if nearly every person on that mountian in the "blizzard" yesterday needed something at Wal mart they would have made it just fine. It is not right my kids are getting behind because some folks are to lazy to take their kids to school or a bus stop where the roads are clear. have the school and if a kid cant make it let them miss a day not get every kid in the county behind.
well

Columbia, SC

#8 Feb 26, 2010
I dont think your child is getting behind. But write a letter to your congressman and see if you can get help with your little problem.
poglad

Monterey, TN

#9 Feb 26, 2010
Silly wrote:
I think it is getting to be a joke. I can understand why they do it. Let them have school and a bus slide off the road and the lawsuites will be flying. My question is where is it written that it is required for a kid to ride a bus? I will be willling to bet if nearly every person on that mountian in the "blizzard" yesterday needed something at Wal mart they would have made it just fine. It is not right my kids are getting behind because some folks are to lazy to take their kids to school or a bus stop where the roads are clear. have the school and if a kid cant make it let them miss a day not get every kid in the county behind.
i have a granchild in school i would rather they be safe that sorry if a child is hurt when a bus slides off road you would think twice about therm going to school, i hope you value the life of your childern more than this missed day.

Since: Sep 09

Clarksville, TN

#10 Feb 26, 2010
Well to me it just seems that every time it flurries our schools are closed. It's almost a joke - 20% chance of flurries over night on the news - White County Schools will be closed

I agree with Silly - I know a few folks up on the Mountain and both the kids and parents had no trouble getting to town and enjoying the beautiful sunshine

Since: Sep 09

Clarksville, TN

#11 Feb 26, 2010
My comment on valuing education was based on the fact that White County ACT scores are traditionally lower . . . maybe if our kids were in school learning instead of being home due to a snow flake the grades would go up.

Since: Sep 09

Clarksville, TN

#12 Feb 26, 2010
By the way ... you can view all of the school districts ACT scores and how they compare at www.tvaas.sas.com ... look up White County - you will find that we are "Significantly below the average system in the state"

The national average ACT score is 21.1
The Tennessee average ACT score is 20.6
White County is 19.9
Silly

Cameron, SC

#13 Feb 26, 2010
poglad wrote:
<quoted text> i have a granchild in school i would rather they be safe that sorry if a child is hurt when a bus slides off road you would think twice about therm going to school, i hope you value the life of your childern more than this missed day.
No one said anything about putting a bus on a slippery road. If the road is bad turn the bus around and let the parent take that kid to school or have that kid catch up later rather than every other kid in the county. It is laughable at the way they will shut schools down. that Yesterday was a powder snow and would blow off the road with a car passing it was not slick. I didnt hear of one single weather related accident yesterday.
watcher

Monterey, TN

#14 Feb 26, 2010
Then you'd end up in a lawsuit because some kids weren't given the same chance to make it to school on the bus.
think about it

Monteagle, TN

#15 Feb 26, 2010
Gift-of-Gab wrote:
My comment on valuing education was based on the fact that White County ACT scores are traditionally lower ... maybe if our kids were in school learning instead of being home due to a snow flake the grades would go up.
The kids almost always have a project or paper due, have the children to be working on those things. Or they could help do house work, yard work (if u think weather is permitting), or things of that nature to help teach responsibility. On snow days from school, that does mean to have them play video games or be couch potatoes.
think about it

Monteagle, TN

#16 Feb 26, 2010
Sorry, I meant to say, it does NOT mean to let them play video games or be couch potatoes all day.
great

Columbia, SC

#17 Feb 26, 2010
Gift-of-Gab wrote:
My comment on valuing education was based on the fact that White County ACT scores are traditionally lower ... maybe if our kids were in school learning instead of being home due to a snow flake the grades would go up.
through you said your kids had graduated.

Since: Sep 09

Clarksville, TN

#18 Feb 26, 2010
great wrote:
<quoted text>through you said your kids had graduated.
Yes they are both graduated - from another school system - and ready to graduate college this year ... When I referred to "Our" kids I was implying the kids in the White County school system.

I live here and would love to say that our schools are good but with what I know and see I am sorry to say that that is not the case
Silly

Cameron, SC

#19 Feb 26, 2010
watcher wrote:
Then you'd end up in a lawsuit because some kids weren't given the same chance to make it to school on the bus.
Riding the bus is a service not a requirement of education. You would think we had a major blizzard the way people act. we can get out and do anything else we want to do but it is oh so bad to take a kid to school or go to work. We are teaching our kids that it is ok to take off anytime a snowflake flys and they even try that when they enter the workforce.
Silly

Cameron, SC

#20 Feb 26, 2010
think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
The kids almost always have a project or paper due, have the children to be working on those things. Or they could help do house work, yard work (if u think weather is permitting), or things of that nature to help teach responsibility. On snow days from school, that does mean to have them play video games or be couch potatoes.
Teach responsibility? Name me one other thing in White county that closed yesterday because of that major snow? Why not just say everything shuts down when schools do? we are teaching them that it is ok to just take off for any little thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who got busted on camp heights? Heard it was th... 3 hr Customer 17
white county on news channel 5 3 hr Topthat 9
DONT MISS violation of YOUR RIGHTS !!!! 4 hr threefoureighttwo 19
Schools 4 hr Trigger 6
mona Yvonne gentry 8 hr the ex husband 1
career change 12 hr lillove 7
Drug Dealer Alert 17 hr Wanderer 10

Sparta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sparta Mortgages