ymca swimming of the 1960;s

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tom

Hamilton, Canada

#1 Dec 16, 2009
did you know that the males actually swam nude at many YMCA swimming pools in the 1860's?
tunes

Rock Island, TN

#2 Dec 16, 2009
nope
bill

Hamilton, Canada

#3 Dec 16, 2009
It was nudes galore at the downtown hamilton ontario canada ymca. All swimming including lessons was conducted in the nude. It was a time when it was an all-male facility. Many people are fascinated by this topic. Can someone tell me if the practice of nude swimming at ymca was done at usa ymca"s?
well

Manchester, TN

#4 Dec 16, 2009
Ya know YMCA first stood for Young Men's Christian Association.
So what

Monteagle, TN

#5 Dec 16, 2009
tom wrote:
did you know that the males actually swam nude at many YMCA swimming pools in the 1860's?
Where did you find this info?
tunes

Rock Island, TN

#6 Dec 16, 2009
sounds like a sausage fest to me
bill

Hamilton, Canada

#7 Dec 17, 2009
so what from sparta tn asks where I got this information? I got it from myslef because I was a member of the Hamilton, ontario Canada downtown YMCA in the 1960's and it was mandatory to swim in the nude at their pool at that time
So what

Monteagle, TN

#8 Dec 17, 2009
bill wrote:
so what from sparta tn asks where I got this information? I got it from myslef because I was a member of the Hamilton, ontario Canada downtown YMCA in the 1960's and it was mandatory to swim in the nude at their pool at that time
Thank You!!
wee

Monteagle, TN

#9 Dec 17, 2009
tunes wrote:
sounds like a sausage fest to me
funny
Ernie

Hamilton, Canada

#10 Dec 21, 2009
I'd like to know if the males swam nude at YMCA's of the US of A in the 1960's as they did in the great white north of "CANADA"?
Towndrunk

Monteagle, TN

#11 Dec 21, 2009
I don,t know about it at the YMCA,but it was a very common practice at the Calfkiller River.
Lisa

Hamilton, Canada

#12 Oct 6, 2010
Mothers sent their boys to learn how to swim and everyone had to partake in the nude at the YMCA in the 1960's
Anna

Sarnia, Canada

#13 Jul 20, 2011
My boyfriend was a swimming instructor at the YMCA in Hamilton, Ontario in 1968 and he said it was a fantastic job.
John

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Jul 22, 2011
Enjoyed swimming nude at the YMCA both here in Winnipeg and at the YMCA in Hamilton also it was a great feeling of freedom nowadays the one's in Winnipeg you must wear a suit I do not know about other cities. There has to be at least some place that males can go swimming nude without the powers that be telling us we can't.
Bill

Sarnia, Canada

#15 Aug 30, 2011
The swimming instructors enjoyed teaching nude boys how to swim.
Citizen

Sparta, TN

#16 Aug 30, 2011
Bill wrote:
The swimming instructors enjoyed teaching nude boys how to swim.
They were only swimming instructors as a part time job. Their full-time job was Catholic Priest.
tippy

Sparta, TN

#17 Sep 2, 2011
thats interesting
yep

Manchester, TN

#18 Sep 10, 2011
The Y use to be a respectable place until they allowed women and the blacks to attend.
Lisa

Sarnia, Canada

#19 Nov 1, 2011
I heard about the fact that boys had to be nude during swimming lessons at the Y. This was the rule back then and the parents really didn"t care. Probably some of the swimming instructors enjoyed this fact, but I never heard of any problems with this.
PatMcGroin

Mcminnville, TN

#20 Nov 21, 2011
The reason men swam nude at the YMCA was because the first pool filters were not able to handle the fabric that was shed from wool bathing suits. The practice continued even after the filters got better for some reason...who knows?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does anyone know anything about window cliff? (Jun '10) 17 min neighbor 29
BASF hiring (Mar '10) 6 hr ArmyNG86 54
charles dennis 11 hr sotrue 35
Blue Springs daycare 13 hr Al Henry 3
Sparta man arrested for aggravated burgla 18 hr WTF 3
River Bank Books 22 hr factsnotstupidity 10
Holly Smith Thu Holly 5
Sparta Dating
Find my Match

Sparta People Search