Sparta Expositor Obits

Sparta Expositor Obits

Posted in the Sparta Forum

wrong

Carlisle, SC

#1 Jan 23, 2010
Sparta Expositor should be more aware of the way they do the obituaries. Now I know for a fact that Melvin Whitefield (the one who was shot at Highway 70 mkt) has been ignored it seems. He was a citizen of Sparta, regardless of what he did, and they have added NEW obits. and NEW NEWS several times since his death, and they still have not announced his death, yet the Baxter paper did. What's up with that? Just because things happened like they did, does not give reason to do a person like that. And it is not only him, there have been several people die, you see thier name in there and you are like when are they burying them, I'd like to attend their service and keep reading, they was buried a week ago! That is just rediculous. If they can put new news, then surely they can do obits ON TIME! Or at least tell them period, like they have NOT done Mr. Whitefields...

“Jelly making banjer plucker ”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 Jan 23, 2010
wrong wrote:
Sparta Expositor should be more aware of the way they do the obituaries. Now I know for a fact that Melvin Whitefield (the one who was shot at Highway 70 mkt) has been ignored it seems. He was a citizen of Sparta, regardless of what he did, and they have added NEW obits. and NEW NEWS several times since his death, and they still have not announced his death, yet the Baxter paper did. What's up with that? Just because things happened like they did, does not give reason to do a person like that. And it is not only him, there have been several people die, you see thier name in there and you are like when are they burying them, I'd like to attend their service and keep reading, they was buried a week ago! That is just rediculous. If they can put new news, then surely they can do obits ON TIME! Or at least tell them period, like they have NOT done Mr. Whitefields...
When you die your family writes your obituary and sends it to the newspapers they want it printed in .
not always true

Quebeck, TN

#3 Jan 23, 2010
Hunter Funeral Home charges include running the obit in the paper. The family doesn't have to do it.

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, TN

#4 Jan 23, 2010
not always true wrote:
Hunter Funeral Home charges include running the obit in the paper. The family doesn't have to do it.
Was he at Hunters.

Location hidden

#5 Jan 23, 2010
DR SAWBONES wrote:
<quoted text>Was he at Hunters.
NO

Location hidden

#6 Jan 23, 2010
My condolences to Mr.Whitefield's family and friends ...

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010

BAXTER -- Funeral services for Melvin J. Whitefield, 69, will be held Friday, Jan. 22, at 11 a.m. from the chapel of Baxter Funeral Home. Burial will be in Maynard Cemetery. Family will receive friends Thursday, Jan. 21, from 5-9 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 22, from 10 a.m. until time of services at the funeral home. Mr. Whitefield died Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010, at White County Community Hospital. He was born March 28, 1940, in Putnam County to the late Virgil and Annie Steele Whitefield. Mr. Whitefield worked for Ford Motor Company in Chicago for 30 years.

His family includes his wife, Doris Whitefield of Salem, Ind.; a son and daughter-in-law, Alan and Eva Whitefield of Hobart, Ind.; a daughter and son-in-law, Heather and Terry Steele of Momence, Ill.; a brother and sister-in-law, P.V. and Anna Whitefield of Baxter; a half-brother, David Loftis of Austin, Texas; a son-in-law, Thomas Lagacy of Lowell, Ind.; two brothers-in-law, Larry Dobbs and Willard Tallant; eight grandchildren, Christina Wisler, Shannon, Nicole and Kimberly Whitefield, Britni, Aaron and Phillip Lagacy and Kaitlyn and Tyler Steele; and four great-grandchildren, Jose and Dominic Perez and Gavin and Arinna Wisler. In addition to his parents, Mr. Whitefield was preceded in death by a daughter, Tina Lagacy; and two sisters, Sue Dobbs and Ruth Tallant. Pallbearers will be family and friends. Bro. John Pippin will officiate the services.
watcher

Monterey, TN

#7 Jan 23, 2010
The funeral home is supposed to send the obit to the paper. They must not have sent it to the Sparta paper.

Location hidden

#8 Jan 23, 2010
watcher wrote:
The funeral home is supposed to send the obit to the paper. They must not have sent it to the Sparta paper.
they would have if the family requested it ..When my mother passed her service was in Smithville and I had to request they send a obituary notice to Sparta and Cookeville ..

Location hidden

#9 Jan 23, 2010
PS... I had to pay for all the obituary notices I had sent ...
watcher

Monterey, TN

#10 Jan 23, 2010
Yeah that's how it worked for me too.
Hillbilly

Smartt, TN

#11 Jan 23, 2010
I think the Expositor now charges $25 to list an Obit. some families can not afford it on top of all the other funeral expenses or they choose not to pay it.
Surely some businesses would pay for ads on the obit page to support that without charging the families. Whoever made the decision to charge families for that should be ashamed.
Question

Manchester, TN

#12 Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone know of an obit # that you can call and get the latest obits in time to attend the funerals without having to call each individual funeral home? I sure miss the radio's line from when Don Howard was alive. I wish they would have continued it.
I think

Carlisle, SC

#13 Jan 23, 2010
Question wrote:
Does anyone know of an obit # that you can call and get the latest obits in time to attend the funerals without having to call each individual funeral home? I sure miss the radio's line from when Don Howard was alive. I wish they would have continued it.
I think the swap and shop announces them, I am not for sure. I just assumed everyone who died in Sparta, thier obit was automatically in the paper, but yea, when my mama died, we had to tell the paper (from the funeral home) what to say and they printed it in the paper, in the price

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, TN

#14 Jan 24, 2010
banjopickin Girl wrote:
<quoted text>NO
point made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeff Gentry 57 min MoneyChangesEvery... 78
Mike Mahan 3 hr Veronica 8
Lindel Frank 3 hr Veronica 1
Brandy Cantrell (Dec '10) 4 hr Veronica 36
Found hair in my Hardee's fries and shake! 4 hr josie wails 5
Decent Apartment/Duplex 8 hr Jeff Steerman 1
Who is Brooklyn Paige Gribble? 10 hr Red neck country ... 2
County Dog Catcher (Oct '10) 14 hr In your face 99

Sparta Jobs

More from around the web