Billy

Smithville, TN

#1 May 13, 2009
Does anyone know what happened in Pig Alley in Sparts, IL, 1966
Billy

Smithville, TN

#2 May 13, 2009
I'm not sure of the date. But i lived in Sparta for many years and heard some local legends about "Pig Alley" next to the funeral home. So I would like to hear from anyone who might have any facts.
Thanks,
Billy
AAugust

Corona, NY

#3 Jul 2, 2009
I've been told that in 1966 during the filming of "In the Heat of the Night", one of the first scenes of the movie was of a dead body lying in pig alley. I grew up in that neighborhood directly across from the old Sparta Lincoln gradeschool and the lady who lived next door to me told me this (and she was in her 80's when I was born so I'm pretty sure she was there when this all occurred).
Billy

Smithville, TN

#4 Jul 2, 2009
Thank you for the info. Local lore and legend seem to make a big thing about "what really happened in pig alley". I was 3 when they made the film there. I lived on N. Walnut and went to the gradeschool. I also lived on Jackson st. and worked at Hood Lumber as a kid. We moved away when I was in 6th grade. Sparta was kind of rough in those days. Now it's like a ghost town.
Thanks for the info.
Billy,
Franklin,TN
SPARTA PIG ALLEY

San Francisco, CA

#5 Aug 17, 2009
Years ago, at that time when home owners could have livestock, would take their pigs and walk them to Watson's Livestock business on Jackson Street which is now the parking lot directly across from the current Sparta Police station.(8-16-09) Their journey started on North Maple Street all the way to Jackson Street. This went all the way thru at that time. Now there are buildings on Broadway Street that seperated Maple & Jackson Streets. "In The Heat of The Night" murder scene, the film in "Pig Alley" was shot at Maple St.(pig alley) and Broadway St. in downtown Sparta Illinois back in the early 60's. I watched a big portion of the the actual filming of this movie. Any other questions I will try and help you with!
Billy

Brentwood, TN

#6 Aug 17, 2009
Thank you. That would have put the Watson Stockyard near the Sparta Farm Machinery company? By the train tracks.
Thanks for your help. I didn't think I would find a big murder mystery in my home town. When I was a kid the "legend of pig alley" as it was told to me "Sparta's biggest mystery" was, "what really happened in pig alley". I hadn't thought about that since about 3rd grade and then ealier this year I went back to Sparta for a funeral which is on Pig Alley. So it's funny to find out the legend of pig alley is that they walked pigs down it and it was in the movie. Not much of a mystery but when I was a kid we were scared. To us there was a dead body in that alley at least once. That was enough for us.
Glad to be gone

United States

#7 Oct 26, 2010
Pig Alley is country club road in 2010
Spartan eagle

Herrin, IL

#8 Aug 2, 2013
Pig alley is next to the funeral home, well actually across the street from the bank of steelville's ATM. there is a sign posted nameing it as such.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
justin fulkerson Mar 2 Larry Michael 1
Fires in marissa Feb 28 homeowner 13
Who do you support for State Senate in Illinois... (Oct '10) Feb 24 who cares 29
Joe Phelps (Nov '13) Feb 24 Karma 5
the dump (Dec '11) Feb 22 wtf 993
Where is Marissa Fire Department? (Jan '14) Feb 18 Marissa 44
Jessica McBride Feb 17 enter username 2

Winter Storm Warning for Randolph County was issued at March 04 at 5:57PM CST

Sparta Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Sparta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]