Needing Advice!!

Posted in the Sparta Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kygal

Washington, DC

#1 Feb 13, 2012
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Sparta or a town near by. His job has recently relocated him up that way. I was wondering what town would be the best to raise a family of 6. We have 4 young children, 3 of which are in school. So give me your suggestions and opinions!! Please be honest!! Even if its harsh!!

Since: Dec 11

United States

#4 Feb 13, 2012
Freeburg. It has top shelf schools and is far enough away from Waste Management's Landfill. St. Louis is close and the SIUE and SWIC is in driving distance after high school. Thousands of newer homes to choose from and lots of places to build one too.
southern illinois

United States

#5 Feb 14, 2012
Will he be working at the coal mine in Marissa? I agree with Freeburg, and also recommend Smithton. Great schools, safe small towns. Good luck!
southern illinois

United States

#6 Feb 14, 2012
Also, I wouldn't let my kids go to school in Sparta. It's gotten pretty trashy.
Just Wondering

United States

#7 Feb 14, 2012
Steeleville is not a bad place. I would not to to Sparta though.
kygal

Washington, DC

#8 Feb 15, 2012
Yea he's at Prairie State Mines. I've heard a lot of bad things about Sparta so that's a definite NO!! LOL So how far is Freeburg from the mines? And are all nice 4 bedroom homes up there around $1300 a month?? Because that's all I have been able to find!! They are in various towns.. gosh that just seems high to me!! Im guessing the rent rates in IL are a little higher then in KY? What about Coulterville? I don't wanna be in a Hugh town and not to small. Ill check out the towns suggested so far. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!!
kygal

Washington, DC

#9 Feb 15, 2012
Are these small towns welcoming to newcomers? I know how some small town people can be!! I just don't want to move somewhere and not be welcome and feel uncomfortable!! This moving thing is just kinda stessful! I've never lived anywhere besides KY!!

United States

#10 Feb 15, 2012
That is a large house for a small rent. A repo is your best bet. Freeburg is loaded with development. New people are not the same there as the 3000 or less pop communities.

Being in larger schools and closer to St Louis has endless advantages but higher housing.

Nashville is another good community. The government is small. If your kids get in troubles everything is a hanging offense.

Freeburg is the best pick and 35 minutes from prairie state.
Freaks in Nature

Marissa, IL

#11 Feb 15, 2012
kygal wrote:
Are these small towns welcoming to newcomers? I know how some small town people can be!! I just don't want to move somewhere and not be welcome and feel uncomfortable!! This moving thing is just kinda stessful! I've never lived anywhere besides KY!!
You will find rude, unfriendly people no matter where you go. There are meany many good people here in Southern IL and if you are from KY you will find it is not all that much different here. People have their cliques but if you are good hard working God fearing folks,so to speak, you will fit right in here. Just don't get too close to the St Louis metro area, mainly the metro area on the east side. If you like the out doors and hunting, fishing, ect. you will love it here. There is a lot of public access land here.

United States

#12 Feb 16, 2012
Beliefs will differ for sure. I feel St Louis offers thing I wanted close. Concerts, plays, zoo, art museums, diverse cultural events, professional sports, and endless more.

"Down the hill" is what to avoid. From Hwy 15 at The Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows look down the hill. DON'T LIVE THERE.
okawville area

Patoka, IL

#13 Feb 17, 2012
Personally, I would stay away from Sparta, Marissa, and Coulterville, I will add Coulterville to the list of dumpiest towns, people are judgmental and back stabbing, that town is the worst when it comes to new comers. I will recommend the Okawville area, My family and I have recently bought a house in this area and the town was very welcoming, the school is very good its not to big and yet not to small. Sports are pretty big in this area and the whole town gets involved which is very different from the above list. To each their own, when it comes to city vs smaller towns. But if your looking for a good tight knit community that is friendly and very welcoming look into to Okawville. Also, there are many houses for sale, rent or contract for deed. Google Okawville and see what the community is like, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised, just as I was. Prairie State is just up the road, and quick easy access to interstate 64, which makes the city less them 30 mins away. In my mind I have the best of both worlds here. Good luck to you and your family with your up coming move.

United States

#14 Feb 17, 2012
Oakaville is another town close enough to STL yet for enough away from the geto. It is 20 minutes from the mine too. I agree with the Marissa Coultervile statement. Marissa is poisoned from the dump and Coulterville kids go there for school sports. Stay out of Marissa at all costs!!!!!!!!!!
Cowboy

Carbondale, IL

#15 Feb 17, 2012
Stay away from the inbreeding people of Coulterville!! Sparta is less than desirable to. Pinckneyville may be a nice a nice area to live?
Anyplace but Coulterville or Sparta!!!!!!
Just Wondering

United States

#16 Feb 17, 2012
Coulterville Is NOT that bad of a town. It's all in how your parents raise you. I was born and raised there, and have only moved because my job. It's all who you know, hang out with losers that's what you will be. The only bad thing is there sports are poor they have to co-op to play sports. Other then that's its not bad at all. Raise your kids with love, respect, manners and the know how to say know to say know to drugs (which are in all there local towns believe it or not)
Anonymous

Sparta, IL

#17 Feb 17, 2012
Coulterville is pretty decent compared to a lot of the small towns in the area. Freeburg would probably be my top choice, but I'm guessing rent would probably be cheaper in Coulterville.
kygal

Bowie, MD

#19 Feb 18, 2012
okawville area wrote:
Personally, I would stay away from Sparta, Marissa, and Coulterville, I will add Coulterville to the list of dumpiest towns, people are judgmental and back stabbing, that town is the worst when it comes to new comers. I will recommend the Okawville area, My family and I have recently bought a house in this area and the town was very welcoming, the school is very good its not to big and yet not to small. Sports are pretty big in this area and the whole town gets involved which is very different from the above list. To each their own, when it comes to city vs smaller towns. But if your looking for a good tight knit community that is friendly and very welcoming look into to Okawville. Also, there are many houses for sale, rent or contract for deed. Google Okawville and see what the community is like, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised, just as I was. Prairie State is just up the road, and quick easy access to interstate 64, which makes the city less them 30 mins away. In my mind I have the best of both worlds here. Good luck to you and your family with your up coming move.
Thank you very much!!! I'm sure gonna need all the luck I can get...I'm very nervous!! Would you happen to know a name and number of anyone in the Okawville area who has multiple rental properties?? I've been searching online for homes for rent but I know not every landlord post there rentals online. Looking for rentals or to buy on land contract.
Okawville area

United States

#21 Feb 20, 2012
kygal wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you very much!!! I'm sure gonna need all the luck I can get...I'm very nervous!! Would you happen to know a name and number of anyone in the Okawville area who has multiple rental properties?? I've been searching online for homes for rent but I know not every landlord post there rentals online. Looking for rentals or to buy on land contract.
sure I will get you a list of rentals or contract for deed homes. There are some listed in our paper each week which comes out every Wednesday. I think I may have last weeks still, if I still do I will get you that info. If not I can for sure get that for you Wednesday. I totally understand moving and how much stress is involved. But speaking from experience my kids made the transition very well to Okawville school and town, they jumped into playing sports and even my youngest who is 7 played soccer and is just now finishing up basketball. There are sports pretty much all year long for the young kids that the town offers, which is nice. Anyways I will try to post a list for you today if I have the paper. Good luck again
Funny

Patoka, IL

#24 Feb 20, 2012
Just Wondering wrote:
Coulterville Is NOT that bad of a town. It's all in how your parents raise you. I was born and raised there, and have only moved because my job. It's all who you know, hang out with losers that's what you will be. The only bad thing is there sports are poor they have to co-op to play sports. Other then that's its not bad at all. Raise your kids with love, respect, manners and the know how to say know to say know to drugs (which are in all there local towns believe it or not)
Its not about how your parents raised you its about what your last name is in Coulterville. It would be hard to not hang out with losers since that's the only kind of people that live there. I will add I speak only from personal experience, the town is and always has been the arm pit of Randolph county and it stinks.
kygal

Carlinville, IL

#26 Mar 11, 2012
Well we haven't moved yet but have looked at a few houses... I have to say that any anxiety that I had about the small towns up here not being welcoming to new comers is totally gone!!! Every person that I have talked to whether it be a landlord or the person at a drive thru have been so nice!!! The few landlords I have talked to think it's awesome that we want to relocate up here....and that we have 4 more children to add to the community!!! And everyone seems to want to go outta there way to help us in anyway they can!! I'm very impressed and greatful with the hospitality the people have shown my husband and I!!!
kygal

Carlinville, IL

#27 Mar 11, 2012
THANK YOU!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steeleville Police Force (Apr '13) 10 hr Kenny Heine 15
amanda kern and zack conner any info??? Oct 16 Bubba 6
Britney wadlow Oct 15 wtf 1
power outage Oct 12 jacrank 1
the dump (Dec '11) Oct 12 moecross 978
Marissa town wide yard sale Oct 10 Lady bug 1
Bus Abuse Oct 9 SickOfIt 1
Sparta Dating
Find my Match

Sparta Jobs