Black Rock

There are 10 comments on the Reno Gazette-Journal story from Nov 16, 2010, titled Black Rock. In it, Reno Gazette-Journal reports that:

At all times, it's an exceptional place. Stretching across about 200 square miles, the playa of the Black Rock Desert is as flat as a tabletop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reno Gazette-Journal.

Garth T Elliott

Reno, NV

#2 Nov 22, 2010
No one knows for sure what the playa is taking. I have long wondered what the long term impacts will be from that much auto traffic. If you consider that the playa is perpetual mud a mere foot or so beneath it's surface, one would conclude that no permanent damage is being done. I have a far different concern regarding burn scars, fires set directly on the playa surface. Up till 2000 Burning Man's fire entertainment was done directly on the playa surface, also casual campfires by those camping on the playa, but to a much smaller scale. This practice leaves patches varying from a foot or so to many yards in circumference as with Burning Man's "Helco Tower" in 1996 or Pepe Ozan's fiery theater productions complete with burning log stuffed pyres that were a featured event for many a Burn!. These patches of red "fired" playa could last thousands of years! Thankfully BM was forced to expunge the products of their fun by such BLM field managers as Terry Reed after we toke him onto the playa surface to see where they had been covered up by BM cleanup crews. I am hopeful that succeeding Winnemucca Field Managers and Black Rock NCA managers are as conscientious as Terry Reed was! As far as casual users of the playa go, I hope education will result in dramatically reducing burn scars and other impacts (such as OHV damage to Coyote springs dunes). This will only happen with a visitor contact station permanently constructed in Gerlach, and continued outreach work done by the Friends Of the Black Rock/High Rock (their office is located on the main drive of Gerlach).
sip

Elko, NV

#3 Dec 16, 2010
Oh my yes lets save some dirt in the desert. You f'n hippies are so funny. Oh my a little dirt has burned so lets stop the world. Get a life my friend, 98 percent of the country think your a fruit.
Lowglow

Warrensburg, MO

#4 Jan 2, 2011
Since I own over 600 acres adjoining Black Rock, I think i'll light some fires.

Complaining about Fire, is like complaining about the damage rain does, it's a natural thing and nothing you Hippee control freaks say or do will stop nature.
Garth T Elliott

Reno, NV

#5 Jan 3, 2011
sip wrote:
Oh my yes lets save some dirt in the desert. You f'n hippies are so funny. Oh my a little dirt has burned so lets stop the world. Get a life my friend, 98 percent of the country think your a fruit.
Sorry not a hippie bone in my body! Sounds like there would be no reasoning with you! I have a life that does not include fixing flat tires from hundreds of burned areas with glass and screws embedded in them some 14 years after Burning Man was there!
Garth T Elliott

Reno, NV

#6 Jan 3, 2011
Lowglow wrote:
Since I own over 600 acres adjoining Black Rock, I think i'll light some fires.
Complaining about Fire, is like complaining about the damage rain does, it's a natural thing and nothing you Hippee control freaks say or do will stop nature.
That word Hippie thrown around a lot on this post! I think there is a big difference between the routine and much needed lightning caused range fire and hundreds of bright red clay-like fired areas on an otherwise pristine ancient lake bed that, according to the BLM, will last thousands of years. If Burning Man gets there five year permit (and I hope they do)they need to walk the walk and stand true to their credo of "leave no trace", by cleaning up their past use sites.
Boiled frog syndrome

Reno, NV

#7 Jan 3, 2011
Thanks Garth for your sensitivity.

While the reading the other posts in response; this axiom or story of sorts popped into my head.

A frog if he jumps into a po to of hot water will jump out immediatly. However if he gets in when it's cool ro warm he will cruise around in it and ignore the rising temperature until he is cooked meat and dead.

Same so "lowglow" got "sip"ped to death not because they weren't smart or sensitive but because they didn't care.

Boiled frogs.. seems to be the plight of a sect of degenerative humans,, that just swim around in the toxic crap of ignorance.
Garth T Elliott

Reno, NV

#8 Jan 4, 2011
Boiled frog syndrome wrote:
Thanks Garth for your sensitivity.
While the reading the other posts in response; this axiom or story of sorts popped into my head.
A frog if he jumps into a po to of hot water will jump out immediatly. However if he gets in when it's cool ro warm he will cruise around in it and ignore the rising temperature until he is cooked meat and dead.
Same so "lowglow" got "sip"ped to death not because they weren't smart or sensitive but because they didn't care.
Boiled frogs.. seems to be the plight of a sect of degenerative humans,, that just swim around in the toxic crap of ignorance.
I am trying to figure out if I agree to your train of thought (and its application) or not. I will liken this whole issue to Graffiti (I think this is the crux of your post) it seems pervasive, even on the rise, Panama even did a segment on it this morning on the BUZZ. Should we act like the frog in warm water with the flame blazing under the pot and just give up resolved to the plight? Hell no!
Lowglow

Warrensburg, MO

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Your point is flawed, you seem to forget fire is natural, just as rain, lightining etc.

Your attempts at legislating nature amuses me and you seem to forget Native Americans have been burning fires near Black rock for several generations.
Boiled frog syndrome wrote:
Thanks Garth for your sensitivity.
While the reading the other posts in response; this axiom or story of sorts popped into my head.
A frog if he jumps into a po to of hot water will jump out immediatly. However if he gets in when it's cool ro warm he will cruise around in it and ignore the rising temperature until he is cooked meat and dead.
Same so "lowglow" got "sip"ped to death not because they weren't smart or sensitive but because they didn't care.
Boiled frogs.. seems to be the plight of a sect of degenerative humans,, that just swim around in the toxic crap of ignorance.
Lowglow

Warrensburg, MO

#10 Jan 4, 2011
BTW, as far as leaving old tires, screws etc behind, that is a problem, not small campfires, and I will agree with you on that point, I hate when I ride my horses and Burro's through the Desert having to contend with garbage on my property and having to call a vet for my animals.

“His noodlyness astounds!”

Since: Feb 09

You tell me

#11 Jan 4, 2011
Lowglow wrote:
Your point is flawed, you seem to forget fire is natural, just as rain, lightining etc.
Your attempts at legislating nature amuses me and you seem to forget Native Americans have been burning fires near Black rock for several generations.
<quoted text>
YOUR point is flawed, as applied to the Playa. There is no way the playa would be subjected to naturally occurring fire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sparks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reno Music Forum (Dec '12) 9 hr Musikologist 16
Speed limit increase to 70 on I-80, I-580 and U... (Jan '17) 9 hr Local 6
Boost Sat Jleigh 1
cps reno nv (Jun '08) Fri Nana 56
Heavy clouds are back with likely rain Aug 14 Local 1
The media claims NV people are stupid (Nov '16) Aug 13 Moving back home 4
Hillary Schieve's repeated controversies Aug 12 Local 1

Sparks Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sparks Mortgages