Leaders bemoan state of black community

Mar 12, 2011 Full story: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 12

Lamenting a "flat-lined" black community that's lost its cohesiveness and organization, Minister Louis Farrakhan said on Friday that many of the gains of the civil rights movement have been lost.

Full Story

“Obama is a Liar, Period!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Mar 12, 2011
Whatever happened to the content of our character?
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Mar 12, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
Whatever happened to the content of our character?
Well, at loooooooong last, old man, you're finally asking the right question of YOURSELF! And if you're honest, you won't much like the answer you get!

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Mar 12, 2011
Old Man Foibles wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at loooooooong last, old man, you're finally asking the right question of YOURSELF! And if you're honest, you won't much like the answer you get!
My character has been formed by 70 years of watching the truth. A Northsider who's watched a great city be slowly strangled. The Minister Farrakhan is one hundred percent correct.
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Mar 12, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
My character has been formed by 70 years of watching the truth. A Northsider who's watched a great city be slowly strangled. The Minister Farrakhan is one hundred percent correct.
Your character has been REVEALED in stating you have watched "70 years of the truth." Everyone has their own truth, based on their experince, their value systems and their inherent mental capabilities. For some, such as yourself, lacking adequate innate personal capabilities, experienced a materially and/or spiritually impoverished life that has sadly warped their value system, and lead to a negative conception of Pittsburgh & the region that most people simply do not share.

Pittsburgh's finances have been damaged by the fact that as the suburbs developed after WW II, it was not afforded the option to absorb surrounding communities (or create shared tax base systems) as many other cities across the nation were, and so grew and stabilized themselves; then, in the late seventies, a heavy-metals & manufacturing industries city was compelled to re-invent itself, and has done so with remarkable success over the past three decades.

To immediately follow your opinion the city has been strangled by stating that Farrakhan is one hundred percent correct implies the fingers about our throat were black. You, sir, are simply a bigot, but a brand of bigotry that will largely pass with the passing of your generation.

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Mar 12, 2011
How do you 'splain, Los Angelus and Philadelphia? They did as you suggested was the solution.

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Mar 12, 2011
Mr Foibles, how do you explain this?

DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane.“It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.

The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.

“If you lower the score for any group of people, you're not getting the best qualified people for the job,” Foward said.

“We need to work with the youth and make them interested in becoming law enforcement officers and firefighters,” said Beane.“Break down the barriers whether they are real or perceived, so we can move forward in this community.”

The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing.

The Dayton Firefighter recruit exam is coming up this summer. The chief said it’s likely the passing score for that test will be lowered as well.
Friday, March 11 2011, 12:17 AM EST
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Mar 12, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
How do you 'splain, Los Angelus and Philadelphia? They did as you suggested was the solution.
Come on, old man, don't get lazy now; exactly what ist it you need explaining? What is it specifically these cities supposedly did that I "suggested?" Was Los Angeles ever a former mid-western industrial giant? And Philadelphia is subject to the same state laws, so how could they do what I "suggested," eh, old fool?

Wow, what vacuous bullsh*t you fling, old man!
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Mar 12, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
Mr Foibles, how do you explain this?
DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.
It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.
Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.
Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.
The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.
“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane.“It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."
“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.
The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.
“If you lower the score for any group of people, you're not getting the best qualified people for the job,” Foward said.
“We need to work with the youth and make them interested in becoming law enforcement officers and firefighters,” said Beane.“Break down the barriers whether they are real or perceived, so we can move forward in this community.”
The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing.
The Dayton Firefighter recruit exam is coming up this summer. The chief said it’s likely the passing score for that test will be lowered as well.
Friday, March 11 2011, 12:17 AM EST
What has the above got to do with what I wrote, old fool? Was the topic ever affirmative action here? Absolutely not! And what needs to be "explained," old fool... beyond your clear racial hatred, that is?

I sorry, old man, but the Alzheimers' seems to be fast overtaking you... but not nearly as fast- or thoroughly- as your extraordinary bigotry!

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Mar 13, 2011
Old Man Foibles wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, old man, don't get lazy now; exactly what ist it you need explaining? What is it specifically these cities supposedly did that I "suggested?" Was Los Angeles ever a former mid-western industrial giant? And Philadelphia is subject to the same state laws, so how could they do what I "suggested," eh, old fool?
Wow, what vacuous bullsh*t you fling, old man!
Both cities employed regionalism and made the whole county part of the city. Wonder how that' s working?

Both these cities are in great shape and need no help from any other government, right?

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Mar 13, 2011
Old Man Foibles wrote:
<quoted text>
What has the above got to do with what I wrote, old fool? Was the topic ever affirmative action here? Absolutely not! And what needs to be "explained," old fool... beyond your clear racial hatred, that is?
I sorry, old man, but the Alzheimers' seems to be fast overtaking you... but not nearly as fast- or thoroughly- as your extraordinary bigotry!
Just relating obvious BS to the content of one's character. Which you choose to ignore.
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Mar 13, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Both cities employed regionalism and made the whole county part of the city. Wonder how that' s working?
Both these cities are in great shape and need no help from any other government, right?
Fer gawd's sake, old man... read my posts! For one thing, cities in a comparison need to be COMPARABLE, ya' old fool! Ever hear of socio-ecoonmic "benchmarking?" Our local universities have done considerable work in this area; you need to read up this basic analytic technology to craft a meaningful comparison. Do you realize how many models of regionalism exist? How to adjust for differences, or if such an adjustment is possible?

I'm soory, old man, but your blatant ignorance needs to be remedied before you can proceed to makeany conclusions, let alone the correct one! With some luck, that may also address your blatant bigotry as well.
Old Man Foibles

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Mar 13, 2011
Old Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Just relating obvious BS to the content of one's character. Which you choose to ignore.
One more time, old man: was the topic ever affirmative action? Stay on topic, please, though I realize it's difficult if one's argument lacks any credibility. Try re-crafting it based upon more reality and less predjudice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southwest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands move money to credit unions (Nov '11) Nov '11 Old Cynic 1
Specter, Casey Announce Funding for Southwest P... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Tired Taxpayer 1
Charity begins with ethics (May '09) May '09 Old Cynic 1
Oil and gas biz booming in Pennsylvania (Nov '08) Nov '08 Living In Margari... 1
Southwest Dating
Find my Match

Southwest Jobs

Southwest People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Southwest News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Southwest

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]