Ex-Officer Accused Of Threatening

Full story: Hartford Courant

Gary Allard is accused of illegally stopping and threatening another motorist, Thomas Barrett Jr.
Comments
41 - 58 of 58 Comments Last updated May 11, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hes son

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

does anyone even think abaut hes son gary that sold drugs in the town for years,hes a punk like hes father gary jr, if your listening stop selling drugs
John

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Allard is an idiot. I guess he will be wearing a jacket that zips in the back. Serves him right!
Mike

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Gimme a break wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think I didn't?
Allard no doubt made a serious mistake and it's fortunate nobody got hurt. But, in his favor, he took immediate steps to prevent it from happening again.
Porter had no reason to take any action during his encounter with Allard and Barrett. All the 20-20 hindsight in the world about what he might have done differently is meaningless. He did nothing wrong.
All the appropriate charges were filed and the case is preceeding through normal channels. So why is it you feel the need to continue to bash anyone over this?
He's a psycho. You want to defend him be my guest.
Mike

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

John wrote:
Allard is an idiot. I guess he will be wearing a jacket that zips in the back. Serves him right!
I agree Time for a stint at CVH
Barbara

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Why haven't the police come out publically and promised not to hand out toy badges? What has to happen before they will see this problem? Does someone have to go crazy and rob a bank or kill someone with these badges before the police will change their irresponsible practices?
Gimme a break

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Barbara wrote:
Why haven't the police come out publically and promised not to hand out toy badges?
The police do not hand out "toy badges." The police, like most uniform services, frequently issue special badges upon retirement as momentos. The vast majority of people who own such badges never abuse them.

For anyone who bothers to look at them, these badges are inevitably clearly marked as retirement badges.(IOW, if someone flashes a badge, have sense enough to ask to see it clearly and then ask for proper ID to go with it. Everyone is responsible for their own gullibility.)

If someone is going to misuse a badge, it's far more likely to be a fake purchased from any of dozens of uniform suppliers who can legally sell badges to pretty much anyone who wants to buy one.
John

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

My wife and I looked at houses in Southington a few years ago. After researching the town and its various departments, we chose not to buy there. The police department sucks! We learned about the wife of a cop growing dope in the house, an officer breaking into a hobby shop, an officer falsifying reports, and an officer beating his wife. I don't know about you but I have zero respect for the department. The very few that are good I feel bad for. I am so happy I bought in Farmington.
southingtonite

Rocky Hill, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

According to the Step Saver Article, new today for free, the retired officer pulled the guy over, asked for lic., ins., and reg.,when the driver went for his wallet, the x-cop showed his pistol in a shoulder holster with his retiree badge (and according to the southington pd, holds no weight at all) and said "reach for anything else and I'll blow your head off"! It was also reported that his son saw his father hold a gun to his head and asked if he should pull the trigger. The x-cops wife also made a similar statement.
He was brought to the hospital for emergency psych evaluation. He needs help and not just the old 'cops help out cops deal'. Maybe the driver was driving erratic, but that doen't mean he can be threatened with his life.
southingtonite

Rocky Hill, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

The police also searched his home and confiscated eight pistols and two pellet guns. The gun he had in a SHOULDER HOLSTER was a Glock 17 9mm pistol. By the way what cop wears a shoulder holster under their jacket. They usually wear the small clip on holster to the belt.
Zipster

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2008

mike wrote:
<quoted text>SHUT THE F--K UP
This guy is DEFINITELY a cop.
Former Southingtonite

Wolcott, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2008

I have the facts, from the inside out. You obviously do not.

All you have is hearsay, grossly embellished media accounts, the incoherent rantings of your fellow conspiracy theorists and your ignorant speculations. I have the truth.

Now seriously, go read a book.
CT Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously the one without a clue.
Former Southingtonite

Wolcott, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2008

Nice language, White Trash!
CT Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, jackass, if Allard witnesses a crime and tells Porter, doesn't Porter have to do something? Also, didn't Allard admit that he stopped, detained the motorist? What police powers does Allard still possess? NONE! Allard should have been arrested for illegal detention at the very least immediately! You are the one who truly needs a clue!
CT Citizen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Gimme a break wrote:
Some of you people are amazing...
When you need them, they can't show up fast enough to make you happy. But when something happens to them, you can't throw them to the wolves fast enough. Cops just can't make anyone happy.
Porter did everything he was supposed to do. There was no crime in evidence and Barrett refused to make a complaint to the authority having jurisdiction in this case -- the State Police. He's not clairvoyent.
Allard -- who retired honorably after a career as a good solid cop -- sought help after this incident _before_ any complaints or inquiries had even been filed. Has it ever occurred to any of you people that PTSD doesn't just affect soldiers?
Gary is getting the help he needs and I'm glad for that. He had my back -- and many of yours -- for almost 20 years. Maybe it's time we had his instead of trying to put a knife in it.
Still got his back? IDIOT!
CT Citizen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Former Southingtonite wrote:
I have the facts, from the inside out. You obviously do not.
All you have is hearsay, grossly embellished media accounts, the incoherent rantings of your fellow conspiracy theorists and your ignorant speculations. I have the truth.
Now seriously, go read a book.
<quoted text>
You obviously don't know what the facts are. THe fact is, this guy needs to be locked up in a rubber room, and throw away the key.
mike

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

Zipster wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy is DEFINITELY a cop.
what gave you that idea?
Barbara

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Gimme a break wrote:
<quoted text>
The police do not hand out "toy badges." The police, like most uniform services, frequently issue special badges upon retirement as momentos. The vast majority of people who own such badges never abuse them.
For anyone who bothers to look at them, these badges are inevitably clearly marked as retirement badges.(IOW, if someone flashes a badge, have sense enough to ask to see it clearly and then ask for proper ID to go with it. Everyone is responsible for their own gullibility.)
If someone is going to misuse a badge, it's far more likely to be a fake purchased from any of dozens of uniform suppliers who can legally sell badges to pretty much anyone who wants to buy one.
With all due respect, I think you live in fantasy land. When people are scared and approached by someone who obviously knows how to act as a real police officer, it's not practical to expect everyone to be able to detect that the badge is a toy.

Maybe the vast majority of people wearing these toy badges do not abuse them but we are worried about the sick few not the responsible majority. And you are talking about PTSD, I saw Rambo and I know how this works. Rambo thought he was still a soldier and these sickos still think they are cops. And giving them toy badges only encourages such sick behavior.

I'm going to talk to my various acquaintances in town politics and see what can be done about this. Let's hold the whole police force accountable for these sick acts and demand, NO MORE TOY BADGES GIVEN OUT BY SPD. Sheesh.
ricbee

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Incompetence Patrol wrote:
True. But the Blue Gang protects their own, without fear of repurcussion.
Watch Allard get no jail time for this. Clearly, he is is psycho case. And one who was allowed to keep his guns up until this moment. Freaking scary.
If he was a regular citizen, versus a past member of the Blue Gang, he would have had his weapons confiscated long ago.
Isn't this the guy who claimed that he had no idea that his wife was growing and selling weed a few years back? You know, throw the wife under the wheels of the train-kind-of-guy?
SPD's finest. Ahhhh, the City of Progress.
The officer on the scene should also be charged with at the very least incompetence. Even former cops get away with anything that can be hidden away.
Tax Payer

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

Allard is an a**shole....comes from a family of a**holes. His father was a terd back in the day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Southington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hospital Closing Aug 5 Dr Feelgood 1
Motorcycle Accident 07/20 Woodtick Road Jul '14 Kelly 1
suit filed in triple fatality (Nov '08) Jul '14 Truth 56
FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) Jul '14 Cahoots 15
Connecticut high school student can wear anti-g... (Mar '13) Jun '14 Imprtnrd 5
Tokyo Sushi Restaurant Fresh Ingredients, Sushi... Jun '14 Fresh Sushi 1
should i expose a cheater? Jun '14 Kim CT 14

Search the Southington Forum:
•••
•••