Pit Bull Law Bites Down Hard in Desoto County

Full story: WREG

Keith Thomas says his mother knows all to well about the pit bulls in their Walls neighborhood.
Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
catherine mabe

Kiln, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

All dogs can be vicious. Alot depends on the owner. I have rescured 4 dogs in my house all puppy dump dogs, one is half pit and is so wonderful, kind, and playful. Owners need to get their dogs fixed, use collars, get shots, and teach them to be nice. Walk them on leases, and keep them in a fenced in area, also give them loving attention.
surge

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

It is really simple, Forensic Science exist, use it to investigate, prosecute, and to hold the owner or designated caretaker responsible for the dogs actions. damn and I am not even a rocket scientist.
bella

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

I am SO sick of all this pit bull crap.....I am hearing. Why all of the sudden is this all coming out.....I work for a rescue and I have come in contact with many pits that are wonderful dogs. There was even one in the paper the other day that saved a family from a house fire....I don't think I should have to suffer because of some stupid ignorant trash, white and black that raise these dogs to be mean. I agree something has to be done with the vicious ones,BUT start with the piece of crap owners. They are the ones that need to be euthinized. I actually saw something very disturbing on TV one nite. It was on pit bulls and it was an undercover camera. THis pit did not want to fight the other dog and kept trying to jump out of the ring. We were told later that the owner was so mad at his dog that he took it, beat it's head up against a concrete wall till it died. Now you tell me, who was the aggressor in this instance?
Don in Mississippi

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Way to go Desoto county!!! One day possibly other counties,cites,and even states will wise up and protect all the other pets as well as the people from these viscous breeds.
Dianne

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

What if you already have a pit bull in DeSoto County but it is not vicious?? Do you have to abide by all of these rules? I am not muzzling my dog. The only dogs you ever hear about are pits. No one ever talks about the good pits, only if they harm someone. I had a shitzu for a year and it bit my son and my pit has never so much as growled at me, my husband or my children. He only barks at fireworks. Come on people. This is absurd. We just moved here from Missouri and all of our friends have pits for family pets and none of them have ever done anything to anyone at all. Some people are not moroons and do not raise them to fight. So why punish the good one's?
Dianne

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Don in Mississippi wrote:
Way to go Desoto county!!! One day possibly other counties,cites,and even states will wise up and protect all the other pets as well as the people from these viscous breeds.
So, Don have you ever even owned a dog in your life? Probably not. Stop being so dumb and read up on these wonderful dogs. You might learn something. They used to be known as the "nanny dog" for being so good with people and children. Some people do not raise them right but there are plenty more that do. If you are gonna ban dogs then ban them all because they all can bite you at any point and time. They are all unpredictable!
tngirl

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

bella wrote:
I am SO sick of all this pit bull crap.....I am hearing. Why all of the sudden is this all coming out.....I work for a rescue and I have come in contact with many pits that are wonderful dogs. There was even one in the paper the other day that saved a family from a house fire....I don't think I should have to suffer because of some stupid ignorant trash, white and black that raise these dogs to be mean. I agree something has to be done with the vicious ones,BUT start with the piece of crap owners. They are the ones that need to be euthinized. I actually saw something very disturbing on TV one nite. It was on pit bulls and it was an undercover camera. THis pit did not want to fight the other dog and kept trying to jump out of the ring. We were told later that the owner was so mad at his dog that he took it, beat it's head up against a concrete wall till it died. Now you tell me, who was the aggressor in this instance?
The only way to stop this is stiffer penalties. Hit 'em in their wallets and longer jail time. None of this "time served" crap but a good 5 to 10 years labor. So many complaints about nasty, abandon buildings, garbage and trash on the streets, put these pieces of trash owners pansy a$$e$ out there and let'em start cleaning up. Too sick to clean, Hey how about a $500.00 a day fine while relaxing at 201 until they're "feeling better." Yep, make their butts work sun-up til sun-down and bankrupt them; you'll see a big decline in this kind of behavior.
Matt

Millington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Well pitbuls are not a problem if you trai them right. Ignorant people shouldn't have dogs at all cause they don't know how to treat them right.
Pitts4life

Horn Lake, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

tngirl wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way to stop this is stiffer penalties. Hit 'em in their wallets and longer jail time. None of this "time served" crap but a good 5 to 10 years labor. So many complaints about nasty, abandon buildings, garbage and trash on the streets, put these pieces of trash owners pansy **** e$ out there and let'em start cleaning up. Too sick to clean, Hey how about a $500.00 a day fine while relaxing at 201 until they're "feeling better." Yep, make their butts work sun-up til sun-down and bankrupt them; you'll see a big decline in this kind of behavior.
TnGirl... this article was about DeSoto County laws. If you would have read the article thoroughly before posting a comment, you may not have written about DeSoto County residents sitting in 201.... Because 201 is in Memphis Tn. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Pitts4life

Horn Lake, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Don you sound retarded. Keep your chihuahua in check as it yaps at every person that comes along. Pitt bulls are intelligent loving animals. It's the owner's responsibilty to raise & love these dogs. Your ankle bitters should be judged as quickly as pitts. Pitts are discrimintaed against while your wife's lap dog prances around thinking it's the same size as other dogs, but I'm sure your dog provoking & your weak mentality find it entertaining to tantalize these "vicious" dogs. Get real and adopt one! Before judging a book by it's cover, you'll discover how amazing these dogs really are.

Ya know what they say... ignorance is bliss, but you sound just plain dumb to me.
Mannie

Higley, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Pitts4life wrote:
<quoted text>
TnGirl... this article was about DeSoto County laws. If you would have read the article thoroughly before posting a comment, you may not have written about DeSoto County residents sitting in 201.... Because 201 is in Memphis Tn. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Wow! I got the point of TnGirl's post. No one knows the address for DeSoto's prison. She was trying to make a point.

I rescued a puppy, I think it's a lab mix but I'm not sure, but I know people tried to fight it because it was terrified of my dog. He was starved, his eyes were mudded shut and he was thrown into traffic. He's a good dog and now him and my dog get along great. The people who fight the dogs and the people who go watch the fights all need to blame for raising aggressive dogs.
tngirl

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Pitts4life wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected, my good man. My hand got a little ahead of my brain.
Pitts4life

Horn Lake, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Mannie wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! I got the point of TnGirl's post. No one knows the address for DeSoto's prison. She was trying to make a point.
I rescued a puppy, I think it's a lab mix but I'm not sure, but I know people tried to fight it because it was terrified of my dog. He was starved, his eyes were mudded shut and he was thrown into traffic. He's a good dog and now him and my dog get along great. The people who fight the dogs and the people who go watch the fights all need to blame for raising aggressive dogs.
My point was that she was rambling. She was writing to be writing on here. She wanted to rant. There was nothing deeper to her comment then the address to 201 Poplar. Sounds like you're not from DeSoto County anyway since you think "no one knows the address for DeSoto's prison." She should maybe write about the article instead of whatever she was babbling about.

It's good you rescued the dog; I have 3 rescues myself & one is a pitt. I've been around them a majority of my life.
Pitts4life

Horn Lake, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

tngirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected, my good man. My hand got a little ahead of my brain.
Sorry for coming off harsh. I really believe in the good of these dogs. My apologies. Fight the good fight!:)
tngirl

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Mannie wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Mannie, we also have a rescue dog (who thinks she's a child)- Went on vacation and spent over 300.00 on her boarding and grooming. I didn't spend that much on souvenirs for myself. Ha ha.
JGG

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

I see one running around my neighborhood, it's dead. Animal control and the law enforcement rep who responded to a loose one that my ignorant black neighbors owned said no problem if it was attacking me. So, adios pit bulls...
Sonia

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

I have never met a Lab that wasn't a sweetheart but if a jerk raised a lab to be a mean fighting dog that is what he would turn out to be. Some of the best tempered dogs I have ever been around are pit bulls! Just look at the "Dog Whisper "Cesar Millan and all the pit bulls he works with and saved.
How about dealing with the jerks that raise dogs to fight or be mean! Pit bulls raised by responsible owners are wonderful pets!
hometown girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

I am so sick of everyone downing pit bulls. It's not the dogs fault that their stupid owners make them vicious. I have 4 dogs 2 of which are male pits, and they are the biggest babies you have ever seen,even scared of thunder. BUT on the other hand my to mini Poms are the mean ones. Everyone is scared of my pits in the yard but they should be scard of the Poms in the house. So give it a break and just go after the trash that raise mean pits or as far as that goes any kind of mean dog.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

How can anybody abuse ANY dog? I hear stories about pit bulls being beaten to death because they won't fight and it makes me sick! Michael Vick should still be in prison!! If you can treat an animal like that then you are capable of doing it to a human. BTW I think the owners of the mean pits should be given a very long jail sentence. That goes for people who teach ANY dog to fight and kill! Dog fighting shold be punished with 5 to 10 years without parole. And the peole attending should get 6 months in jail and $25,000 fine. That would slow it down. But we all know that will never happen! They won't even put people in jail for murdering people most of the time and when they do, they get out early. This society is sick! We are supposed to defend the weak and powerless and the ones who have no voice. Children, elderly, mentally challenged and animals. If you could harm any one in that group, then you are a deranged S.O.B and deserve to burn in hell!
Thomas H Evans

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

catherine mabe wrote:
All dogs can be vicious. Alot depends on the owner. I have rescured 4 dogs in my house all puppy dump dogs, one is half pit and is so wonderful, kind, and playful. Owners need to get their dogs fixed, use collars, get shots, and teach them to be nice. Walk them on leases, and keep them in a fenced in area, also give them loving attention.
So what does all of that do for me when your "Pit Bull" gets lose and hurt somebody. It's to bad Memphis is so far behind the times when it comes to protecting it's citizens from these vicious dogs. Sorry, but you are simply in denial like so many like you. We will see you at the hospital sooner or later. I'm just saying!(THE)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Southaven Discussions

Search the Southaven Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 6 hr Jim 1,962
person who posts as River Rat Wed Cindi 3
vicky stewart Tue wondering 3
The Blonde at Wise Guy's Pizza? Jul 21 Nice Ones 1
Teller at BancorpSouth (Oct '13) Jul 21 nice ones 11
Are The Southaven Police Too Rude?? (Jan '08) Jul 18 Friend 303
gang stalking Jul 18 Danny Pelosi 10
•••
•••