Driver goes wrong way on I-81; 3 injured

Driver goes wrong way on I-81; 3 injured

There are 59 comments on the Public Opinion story from May 3, 2010, titled Driver goes wrong way on I-81; 3 injured. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Three people were flown Sunday morning from a crash caused by a woman driving the wrong way on Interstate 81 in Southampton Township, Franklin County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wow

Huntingdon, PA

#1 May 3, 2010
First of all, thoughts and prayers for those injured. How does something like this happen? Typically, this kind of accident would involve and elderly person or drunk, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Ouch

Kensington, MD

#2 May 3, 2010
Probably got on the wrong way at Scotland, where the on ramp and off ramp are side by side. Just took the wrong path and wasn't paying attention. Probably not much traffic at that time on a Sunday. Prayers for all involved and hope they all pull through.
Just Another Bubba

Chambersburg, PA

#3 May 3, 2010
The crash was SOUTH of Exit 24 and the the young lady was driving SOUTH on the NORTH bound lane wouldnt she have to have gotten on at exit 24 or north of exit 24 ?
Spunky

Carlisle, PA

#4 May 3, 2010
Alcohol, or drugs?

Tested I do hope??
Spunky

Carlisle, PA

#5 May 3, 2010
Ouch wrote:
Probably got on the wrong way at Scotland, where the on ramp and off ramp are side by side. Just took the wrong path and wasn't paying attention. Probably not much traffic at that time on a Sunday. Prayers for all involved and hope they all pull through.
Traffic was heavy actually, considering Sunday time of day being early, lots of folks on the Interstates now with travel season here. Sunday was no exception.

She had to have gotten on in Shippensburg at that infamour store, and the new light and intersection PennDOT just built there.

It is poorly marked, FYI, in many ways - especially for those unfamilar with its odd design and flow.
Down Memory Lane

Greencastle, PA

#7 May 3, 2010
I wonder if this is the Steve Myers whose wife works at Dr. Toothman's office. Anyone know?
Jeff and Lexie Chambers

Delray Beach, FL

#8 May 3, 2010
Steve, we are so sorry to hear about this tragic accident. You and your son are in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery! God Bless!
Ouch

Kensington, MD

#9 May 3, 2010
Spunky wrote:
<quoted text>
Traffic was heavy actually, considering Sunday time of day being early, lots of folks on the Interstates now with travel season here. Sunday was no exception.
She had to have gotten on in Shippensburg at that infamour store, and the new light and intersection PennDOT just built there.
It is poorly marked, FYI, in many ways - especially for those unfamilar with its odd design and flow.
You are correct. Exit 24 is Shippensburg, she would have had to head South from there. Not sure what I was thinking earlier.
not taken it

United States

#10 May 3, 2010
This was a horriable looking accident. We drove by at 8am on our way out of town. WOuld have thought nobody survived by looking at the cars. God bless!!!
Disturbed

Greencastle, PA

#11 May 3, 2010
From witnesses on scene. She was intoxicated (at 7AM no less; must have been an "all nighter" and underage as well).
Just before impact, the "legal" driver swerved at the last second which (although still basically was head-on), it was more of a "front corner" instead of "dead-on" middle.
It just goes to show, and actually make you sit back and think that, "well, it shouldn't have happened (crash) cause the legal driver could have swerved out of way in time cause of seeing a car coming at you". Well in reality, its easy to assume and think this way, but it doesn't always work that way cause, first off, initally both vehicles traveling at 60+ MPH heading towards each other doesn't take long to reach the "impact" point, plus your mind isn't thinking about a car coming at you, and initally would only appear as a car ahead in passing lane and when realizing whats happening, and vehicles speeds doesn't leave much time to react. Not to mention which person swerves in opposite directions, or swerve towards each other.

My thoughts and prayers are with the male gentleman and child. God Bless You and hope for a speedy recovery with no permanent injuries.
As for the femaile, her actions, age and overall matter should deem permanent license suspension and jail time. Their is no "explainable good-cause" that she should "get off".

And before it starts, I don't want to hear anyone posting or saying anything about "oh, she's a wonderful girl and I can't believe something like this happened, and blah, blah, blah. I don't give a da** cause that doesn't fix this problem she created (by HER choosing to drink underage and drive). She could be an "angel" for all I care before, but not anymore. She could have killed the inicent ones (which we still don't know their outcomes either). God Bless them !!!
Disturbed

Greencastle, PA

#12 May 3, 2010
Lastly as well, if you want to see the accident damage (cars), click on this link below and scroll down just a little for pictures and story.

http://www.fayettevillefirerescue.com/
Embedded Citizen

Hagerstown, MD

#13 May 3, 2010
WOW!
Disturbed wrote:
Lastly as well, if you want to see the accident damage (cars), click on this link below and scroll down just a little for pictures and story.
bill

Chambersburg, PA

#14 May 3, 2010
Wow is right...none of those pictures are from the May 2nd accident.
Embedded Citizen

Hagerstown, MD

#15 May 3, 2010
Huh? I guess the caption that says, " May 2nd - Co 7,15 and 73 was alerted for an auto accident this morning just after 07:00 hrs on interstate 81 at the 22 mm North bound. Three people were trapped and had to be extricated . All three were flown from the accident scene with serious injuries. Command 7 requested an engine from CC 52 to set up the LZ on the interstate.", and the second picture with the Exit 24 sign post in the background threw me off.
bill wrote:
Wow is right...none of those pictures are from the May 2nd accident.
Hmmm

York, PA

#16 May 3, 2010
Disturbed wrote:
Holy crap!
I hope that man and his son are ok. We were heading north out of town about 11:30 and 81 was still basically at a stand still in Chambersburg (I had no idea how early or what had happened)
I hope that girl pays for what she did. She had to be intoxicated in some form, you don't get on the highway the wrong way and then ACUTALLY drive the wrong way on it for over a mile unless your blind or drunk. Sorry, thats not a "mistake". All exits and on ramps are marked clear enough. So don't give me the excuse that they are confusing.
I agree with the a previous poster...I hope she goes to jail and she sure as heck should never EVER be allowed to drive again. Sorry, thats the price you pay for being a dumb a$$ kid. Driving is a privledge...one she doesn't deserve (amoung other things).
I also agree with the previous poster about not giving us that "she was a good kid crap", I don't want to hear it either. The man and his son could be two of the nastiest people on earth for all I know, but guess what, they didn't deserve what happened to them...so I don't give two sh!ts if she was a honor student or a kind and thoughtful daughter. She's a dumb a$$.
MacKensie

Saint Thomas, PA

#17 May 3, 2010
Down Memory Lane wrote:
I wonder if this is the Steve Myers whose wife works at Dr. Toothman's office. Anyone know?
Yes it is and she is away and is having a hard time getting a flight.
oh my

Chambersburg, PA

#18 May 3, 2010
wow, those pictures are horrible! yellow car is the girls, white car is the son/father
Down Memory Lane

Greencastle, PA

#19 May 3, 2010
MacKensie wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is and she is away and is having a hard time getting a flight.
Oh, that is heartbreaking. They are such nice people. Any one know how we can help?
Say What

Reading, PA

#20 May 3, 2010
Embedded Citizen wrote:
Huh? I guess the caption that says, " May 2nd - Co 7,15 and 73 was alerted for an auto accident this morning just after 07:00 hrs on interstate 81 at the 22 mm North bound. Three people were trapped and had to be extricated . All three were flown from the accident scene with serious injuries. Command 7 requested an engine from CC 52 to set up the LZ on the interstate.", and the second picture with the Exit 24 sign post in the background threw me off.
<quoted text>
Just checked and rechecked and the last time their website was updated was April 22 0r 23rd, so not sure where you're getting this info.
and ta think

Chambersburg, PA

#22 May 3, 2010
Embedded Citizen wrote:
WOW!
<quoted text>
WOW is right !! Those people must of really had someone looking out for them to make it thru that crash !! All are lucky to be alive !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lacey Park (Mar '16) Mon Swany 3
Lacey Park - 1948 (Oct '10) Jan 16 Swany 60
News Police seek murder suspect (Oct '07) Jan 6 RamapoU 44
Trump will win, wait and see just watch Aug '16 sgt Witold Kowal 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Apr '16) Jul '16 ariel sullivan 4
Review: J and A Abstract Inc Jul '16 jenn6789 1
News Dispute leaves 1 dead on Lindsay Lot Road (Aug '09) Jun '16 Desirae Buttermore 154

Southampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Southampton Mortgages