Quogue Village police officer honored...

Quogue Village police officer honored posthumously

There are 75 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 22, 2009, titled Quogue Village police officer honored posthumously. In it, Newsday reports that:

Richard Kappel, an eight-year member of the Quogue Village Police Force, was honored as a fallen hero Monday as the flag at village hall flew at half-staff and residents went into mourning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

LI Raised

Pittsburgh, PA

#21 Jun 25, 2009
From the NY POST....

'A Hamptons cop who died Sunday after crashing a borrowed Ferrari did not have permission from the owner to go on a joyride, The Post has learned.

Quogue Officer Richard Kappel, 40, and a passenger, Christian Gomez, 33, were killed after Kappell lost control of a 2002 Ferrari Spider that police sources said was speeding in excess of 100 mph.

Southampton Town Police Detective Sgt. Randy Hintze confirmed yesterday that Jason Rabin -- CEO of Wear Me Apparel/Kids Headquarters, a minority owner of the New Jersey Nets and a business partner of Beyoncé-- owned the vehicle, worth some $170,000.

Sources told The Post that Kappel, a part-time caretaker at Rabin's Water Mill estate, offered to store the Ferrari while his boss' garage was being renovated.

While Kappel was in lawful possession of the car, sources close to Rabin said Kappel was not given permission to joyride.'
The Fuzz

Bellmore, NY

#22 Jun 25, 2009
LI Raised wrote:
From the NY POST....
'A Hamptons cop who died Sunday after crashing a borrowed Ferrari did not have permission from the owner to go on a joyride, The Post has learned.
Quogue Officer Richard Kappel, 40, and a passenger, Christian Gomez, 33, were killed after Kappell lost control of a 2002 Ferrari Spider that police sources said was speeding in excess of 100 mph.
Southampton Town Police Detective Sgt. Randy Hintze confirmed yesterday that Jason Rabin -- CEO of Wear Me Apparel/Kids Headquarters, a minority owner of the New Jersey Nets and a business partner of Beyoncé-- owned the vehicle, worth some $170,000.
Sources told The Post that Kappel, a part-time caretaker at Rabin's Water Mill estate, offered to store the Ferrari while his boss' garage was being renovated.
While Kappel was in lawful possession of the car, sources close to Rabin said Kappel was not given permission to joyride.'
The owner of the car can sue the estate of his idiot and hopefully the family of his passenger will sue also.

Typical ego maniac loser with a small member trying to drive big.
LI Raised

Pittsburgh, PA

#23 Jun 25, 2009
The Fuzz wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner of the car can sue the estate of his idiot and hopefully the family of his passenger will sue also.
Typical ego maniac loser with a small member trying to drive big.
True. The bad thing about that though is his poor wife and children will be the ones to suffer. I just have a problem 'honoring' someone who breaks the law and kills themselves AND someone else.
no one really

United States

#24 Jun 25, 2009
Get a Life wrote:
You people have no idea what you are talking about! As for Rich sucker punching people in high school...they probably deserved it! The car wasn't borrowed either! Get your facts straight! So sick of ignorant people! He was a good person, a loving father and he is gone now. Let him rest in peace! How would you feel if this was your loved one! Show some respect! He is honored for his time he served in the service for your freedom!
here is a question for you, how are you so sure of your facts. Maybe you are a member of the Quogue police, which by the way too much corruption going on there, officers threatening citizens, marital affairs in and out of the police station (rich? huh and others), friends with many felony convicted drug addicts, the list is endless, and by the way I am a friend of a friend that has their facts straight very straight. so yes he was a good person, and deserves a funeral, buttttt we deserve to know if he commits a crime also,
Get a Life

AOL

#25 Jun 25, 2009
I'm not saying what he did was right! But, no need to rip someone apart that is gone. Forever! His poor wife and 2 little girls......
Crazy Peeps

Landing, NJ

#26 Jun 25, 2009
Fact of the matter is a man had died!!!! He left behind 2 children. Like none of us would have like to take a lil joyride in a Ferrari. Come on. When did everyone get so self ritious!!!
And for the guy/girl holding grudges from high school...get a life...move on...how many years ago are you crying about. People change and people grow. You apparently are still living in the past. Get over it. Let a dead man rest in peace. He must have been a good person for their are a lot of people very sad about his passing!!!!
Jeff

Philadelphia, PA

#27 Jun 25, 2009
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
You're so right. Officer Chi gave me a ticket for 35 in a 30 and insisted that if I just showed up in court I could plead it down to an equipment violation. What a racket!
Love how these cops are all above the law. And, don't Ferraris have seat belts? Luckily only he and the passenger were the victims. It could have been worse, he could have taken the lives of people in other vehicles.
The way I see it, he took the life of his passenger. Just because I'm in the car with you, it doesn't make it my fault if something happens when you drive like an idiot. Had the driver lived and the passenger died, the driver would be going to jail, at least for manslaughter in my opinion.
John Gottis Corpse

New York, NY

#28 Jun 26, 2009
Crazy Peeps wrote:
Fact of the matter is a man had died!!!! He left behind 2 children. Like none of us would have like to take a lil joyride in a Ferrari. Come on. When did everyone get so self ritious!!!
And for the guy/girl holding grudges from high school...get a life...move on...how many years ago are you crying about. People change and people grow. You apparently are still living in the past. Get over it. Let a dead man rest in peace. He must have been a good person for their are a lot of people very sad about his passing!!!!
and this dead cop apparently never grew up. Everyone in the department was aware of his flying around in this Ferrari. This, along with his other "antics", was no surprise to everyone who knew him.

Could you imagine the tongue lashing he would've doled out had he pulled over someone driving a Ferrari in excess of 100mph and then to discover that they werent' wearing a seatbelt? Knowing this pr!ck, he would've gotten more pleasure out of giving the seatbelt ticket. Not to mention what would've transpired when he learned that the driver was driving a car like that which he didn't even own.

What burns up a lot of non-cops, and is vehemently evidenced on here, is the outward doublestandard and hypocracy by which cops operate and how very very few, if any, ever take a non-cop stance in a situation like this duhoochebag created.
Effigy of the Forgotten

Richmond Hill, NY

#29 Jun 26, 2009
Crazy Peeps wrote:
Fact of the matter is a man had died!!!! He left behind 2 children. Like none of us would have like to take a lil joyride in a Ferrari. Come on. When did everyone get so self ritious!!!
And for the guy/girl holding grudges from high school...get a life...move on...how many years ago are you crying about. People change and people grow. You apparently are still living in the past. Get over it. Let a dead man rest in peace. He must have been a good person for their are a lot of people very sad about his passing!!!!
Please go back to school and learn to spell.

" ritious " - lol
LI Raised

Pittsburgh, PA

#30 Jun 26, 2009
John Gottis Corpse wrote:
<quoted text>
and this dead cop apparently never grew up. Everyone in the department was aware of his flying around in this Ferrari. This, along with his other "antics", was no surprise to everyone who knew him.
Could you imagine the tongue lashing he would've doled out had he pulled over someone driving a Ferrari in excess of 100mph and then to discover that they werent' wearing a seatbelt? Knowing this pr!ck, he would've gotten more pleasure out of giving the seatbelt ticket. Not to mention what would've transpired when he learned that the driver was driving a car like that which he didn't even own.
What burns up a lot of non-cops, and is vehemently evidenced on here, is the outward doublestandard and hypocracy by which cops operate and how very very few, if any, ever take a non-cop stance in a situation like this duhoochebag created.
Yet at his funeral they came from all over to honor him. He broke the law and killed someone. It infuriates me that this fact is overlooked. If it was me....they would have had cuffs on my corpse.
Kojack

Bellmore, NY

#31 Jun 26, 2009
LI Raised wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet at his funeral they came from all over to honor him. He broke the law and killed someone. It infuriates me that this fact is overlooked. If it was me....they would have had cuffs on my corpse.
Thank You!

And to add to the OP about affairs and other imoral behavior I heard a female cop gave a herpes some guy.
get out now

Valley Stream, NY

#32 Jun 26, 2009
LI Raised wrote:
I've said this on other topics but I can't understand why they are honoring hm for breaking the law. He was speeding and was ejected from the car. Not only did he take his life but his passenger died from his recklessness.
It is a shame this happened but if he followed the rules of the road he would still be alive today.
Don't you know, the police, ESPECIALLY on LI are far above the law. They want us all to follow it and if we don't we are criminals/perps and whatever other word they learned in the academy.

While they are civil servants who should 'serve' US, instead they feel it is the other way around...we should bow down to them, and kiss their a*s*s.

And if you don't like the police for the above reasons, somehow you should not have an opinion on it even though we pay their salary.

Oh it is quite the life, an LI police officer leads living on some other planet.

Hey, they guy took a chance, broke the law was not only speeding but exessively speeding and he lost the game. Somehow I'm supposed to feel sorry for HIS decision? He was not killed on the job, he killed himself...special honors for that? Please.
get out now

Valley Stream, NY

#33 Jun 26, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Please go back to school and learn to spell.
" ritious " - lol
Hmm, so what you are saying is we should all go 'steal' whatever care we've always dreamed of driving and take it out for a 100mph joy ride with total disregard to who we may kill along the way?

Ok, got it...let me put that on my "to do" list...lets hope I don't hit you and kill you because clearly all would be forgiven over a little joy ride of a GROWN MAN who was a CIVIL SERVANT (ie-paid police officer by US taxpayers).

Yes we should not expect our civil servants to obey the laws they should be enforcing..because as we know...the POLICE do not follow laws, they are above them.

And for tomorrow's lesson let's talk about all the Narcotics police who turn around and sell the very same narcotics they confisicate. I know police officers who do this....again, they are ABOVE the law. I mean who hasn't wanted to sell drugs and make tons of money....I see your point..it is all becoming clear.
Crazy Peeps

Landing, NJ

#34 Jun 26, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Please go back to school and learn to spell.
" ritious " - lol
I am in High School!!! LOL
Effigy of the Forgotten

Richmond Hill, NY

#35 Jun 26, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Please go back to school and learn to spell.
" ritious " - lol
Here is my reply to some idiot who couldn't spell.
get out now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, so what you are saying is we should all go 'steal' whatever care we've always dreamed of driving and take it out for a 100mph joy ride with total disregard to who we may kill along the way?
Ok, got it...let me put that on my "to do" list...lets hope I don't hit you and kill you because clearly all would be forgiven over a little joy ride of a GROWN MAN who was a CIVIL SERVANT (ie-paid police officer by US taxpayers).
Yes we should not expect our civil servants to obey the laws they should be enforcing..because as we know...the POLICE do not follow laws, they are above them.
And for tomorrow's lesson let's talk about all the Narcotics police who turn around and sell the very same narcotics they confisicate. I know police officers who do this....again, they are ABOVE the law. I mean who hasn't wanted to sell drugs and make tons of money....I see your point..it is all becoming clear.
And here is your reply to me..... not sure if you meant this for someone else, but I have no clue how my simple statement has anything to do with your rant.
Effigy of the Forgotten

Richmond Hill, NY

#36 Jun 26, 2009
Crazy Peeps wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in High School!!! LOL
Maybe it's funny to you, but it's pathetic to me that you can't spell.
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

#37 Jun 26, 2009
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

#38 Jun 26, 2009
Robert McCoy and the Dunbar Factory Singers...
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

#39 Jun 26, 2009
The Kerokee downs...
do it

Bronx, NY

#40 Jun 26, 2009
Crazy Peeps wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in High School!!! LOL
hurry and apply at McDonalds before your classmates scoop up all the "high" paying jobs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) 13 hr lkjlk 79
News James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Foun... (Dec '11) Jun 20 James 2,895
News De Blasio mandates restroom access for transgen... Jun 10 Nopal 4
Song about the Citiots! Jun 8 John_Albert 1
News Billy Joel's daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, hospital... (Dec '09) May '16 drugs thin the herd 34
News $1M Bail for Suspect in Fatal East Islip Home I... (Apr '11) May '16 The executioner 15
News Mattituck man arrested in DWI incident (Dec '07) May '16 Strike 5 your sti... 41
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Southampton Mortgages