Great place to pick up fantastic meat.
Me too

New Lenox, IL

#2 Oct 11, 2010
Like it lots

Since: May 11

Bensenville, IL

#3 May 14, 2011
Maybe the Berkots store in your town is "a great place to pick up fantastic meat", but you might want to visit the one in South Wilmington. The place is a dump! You have to check the use by date on EVERYTHING IN THE STORE, and i mean everything. I purchaced a jar of pickles that had a throw out date of MARCH 15 last week. The Berkots in South Wilmington has become a dumping ground for all the expired food from all the other outlets. To me nd my family it is worth the 20 min drive to Morris to shop at Jewel, at least we are going to get food that will not make us sick! Screw Berkots!!!
jay

Bolingbrook, IL

#4 May 22, 2011
the berkots in dwight is over priced decent store but its the only thing in town we get stuck paying to much but with 4.00 gas you have to be stocking up to justify leaving town
grandma

Wilmington, IL

#5 May 29, 2011
mrsluggo wrote:
Maybe the Berkots store in your town is "a great place to pick up fantastic meat", but you might want to visit the one in South Wilmington. The place is a dump! You have to check the use by date on EVERYTHING IN THE STORE, and i mean everything. I purchaced a jar of pickles that had a throw out date of MARCH 15 last week. The Berkots in South Wilmington has become a dumping ground for all the expired food from all the other outlets. To me nd my family it is worth the 20 min drive to Morris to shop at Jewel, at least we are going to get food that will not make us sick! Screw Berkots!!!
You need to check the labels closely. The federal government has changed labeling codes. Some items are now posted with a "born on" date of instead of "expires on". So just be aware and look closely. Some of the items are a "sell by" date. So the item may still be good for a while after you purchase it. But, yes, if it was SOLD after the sell by or use by date thae store can be fined. Just be aware and read your labels.
Employee

United States

#6 May 10, 2012
You have to be careful of that anywhere you go, regardless of how popular the store is. I once bought chocolate milk from the Morris Walmart that expired either the day I bought it or the day after. I also think my sister bought baby food from there that had beed expired for a year. Shop smart and learn your lesson.
P.s. Yeah the South Wilmington store IS REALLY BAD about that though...
Shopper

Lyons, IL

#7 May 25, 2012
The South Wilmington store is worse now than it was Super Value. I had high hopes when I heard Berkot's were taking it over, that didn't last long. Anything they have in the sale papers are non-existant when you get to the store. They should just stick with the Coal City store, since that is the only decent place. Back when it was Marketti's people use to travel to SWilly from other towns to shop there. Now people from SWilly travel. Poor excuse for a store. I go to the gas station when I need milk.
Duke

Lockport, IL

#8 May 27, 2012
The Berkot's here in Lockport is excellent; always very clean and well stocked. We prefer Berkot's to Jewel or even Walmart.
chad

Oak Lawn, IL

#9 May 11, 2014
The berkots store in Dwight is a joke. Impossible to find a green pepper that isn't soft. The meat is garbage. Their so called filet Mignon looks like liver. They contend that it is all excellent but they have obviously never used it. Its an absolute joke. The selection sucks, the butchers are rude and on top of it all, everything is overpriced.
MEATMAN

Watseka, IL

#10 Nov 26, 2015
This whole chain is garbage, shady things going on there. Never trust them!!!!
Mike

Braidwood, IL

#11 Nov 28, 2015
chad wrote:
The berkots store in Dwight is a joke. Impossible to find a green pepper that isn't soft. The meat is garbage. Their so called filet Mignon looks like liver. They contend that it is all excellent but they have obviously never used it. Its an absolute joke. The selection sucks, the butchers are rude and on top of it all, everything is overpriced.
Braidwoods meat counter is questionable,.Never buy meat on monday its all left over from weekend. then try to buy a large roast,..it seems all they can cut are three pounds, i guess thats all the kid can lift. If you have a large family i nave to buy multiple ones,. i love coal cities berkots lots of variety.
Shasta McNasty

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 29, 2015
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Braidwoods meat counter is questionable,.Never buy meat on monday its all left over from weekend. then try to buy a large roast,..it seems all they can cut are three pounds, i guess thats all the kid can lift. If you have a large family i nave to buy multiple ones,. i love coal cities berkots lots of variety.
Boy ur family must be some real fat pigs if u have to feed them each a 3lb roast. Are u the fatso that rides the little scooter around?
irked in Homer

Homer Glen, IL

#13 Feb 18, 2017
Vague advertising. Orland ad didn't say it was for Orland only. Found that out after going to Lockport. Wasn't able to get sale prices I expected.
Dolphin

Lockport, IL

#14 May 15, 2017
You can't beat their meat.
Miss Petunia

Washington, DC

#15 May 16, 2017
Dolphin wrote:
You can't beat their meat.
says the guy sitting home waxing his Dolphin
Unincorporated

United States

#16 May 16, 2017
What Flipper and I do in our home is our business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hilarious 5 hr Obvious 1
2019 Interest 14 hr Wondering why 3
Braidwood gas $$$ 15 hr Gas buddy 8
Coalers Football Sat hammertime 48
Why is Wilmington so backward? (Oct '07) Jan 19 Clayton 186
Scared to move Jan 18 esch 2
Wilmington yellow hammers Jan 18 Comets1 21

South Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance