Inflatables During School Time not for everyone...... not Fair

Posted in the South Webster Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
A very upset Parent

United States

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Every school year my kids done the fundraiser's, it just so happen that this year we didnt get to do it cause of illness. I just found out that my kids had to stay in a class room and do work, while the kids that sold the $ amount that the school required got an extra privilege of playing in inflatables during classroom hours, while less fortunate children done their regular class work and in a sense were punished for not making the school money. This is an unfair practice. The kids have to sell after hours but get to play during school hours, why not play on the inflatables after hours, so the other kids dont have to be punished.
Hmmmm

United States

#2 Oct 13, 2010
Amen! My kids go to Burg and this has been their practice as well. I've often opted to not do the fundraiser but rather pay the activity fees so as not to hound friends and family to purchase things they don't want nor need. I then allow my children to skip school the day they have the inflatables and stay home and do something fun with them. I have thought about the children who's families are less fortunate and aren't able to pay the fee outright or purchase the amount of items needed to allow them to participate in the fun. I feel that's punishing the children for the financial status of their parents.
are you serious

Yonkers, NY

#3 Oct 13, 2010
typical topix... put a tad of research into the subject before gripin'
A very upset Parent

United States

#4 Oct 14, 2010
Hmmmm, I wished I would have kepted my children home and from now on that is what I am going to do. @ are you seriuos--I have and I feel as parents if we dont grip then who will for the children. Someone in the crowd yesterday said they were going to call Frank Lewis and have him do a write up about this. I think thats a great Idea.
a mom

United States

#5 Oct 14, 2010
I sent an email to the principal over this issue a month ago. He never replied.(shocking)

We should send letters to the paper about this. It is a disgusting practice. I HATE this school. It seems that all they care about is getting money.
Parent

Corona, NY

#6 Oct 14, 2010
Hey a mom if you hate this school then send ur kids somewhere else and quit complaining!!!!! Try East that way they're feild trips can be goin to the corner to learn how to sell 8 balls or oxys. All of u get a life. I dont like doing it but MY kid means more enough to me to put some effort into it to get a smile out of my kid. They are only kids once!!!!!!
sw parent

Goshen, IN

#7 Oct 14, 2010
So where do we go from here, do we go to the board? I feel the school should have a carnival and that way if u cant afford it then u wont be lefted out.
GrandmaWebster

Portsmouth, OH

#8 Oct 14, 2010
my gramkids realy liked the inflatebles--the shcool trying to do beter thengs for the kids---
another parent

United States

#9 Oct 14, 2010
All you griping parents are the same ones that think that every child on the team should get a trophy?? Life isn't fair - better they learn early that you don't get rewarded for not doing the job.
happy

United States

#10 Oct 15, 2010
I DO believe that the children who spent there precious time trying to sell things for the fundraisers SHOULD be rewarded. Life isnt fair... only the ones who help out get to play. I love South Webster and my son had a blast on the inflatables. If he didnt meet his quota then he would have not went to school either. I think it is WONDERFUL that the school rewarded the children for their hard work! I hope they do the same next year also. My son is looking forward to another fundraiser so he can do it again.
Disappointed

United States

#11 Oct 15, 2010
I agree with u Happy---they should be rewarded and maybe thats the answer.....DONT SEND UR KIDS TO SCHOOL on the day of the inflatables, or maybe the school can do a carnival. I dont no the answer but for the kids sake everyone should come together.
mom

United States

#12 Oct 15, 2010
happy wrote:
I DO believe that the children who spent there precious time trying to sell things for the fundraisers SHOULD be rewarded. Life isnt fair... only the ones who help out get to play. I love South Webster and my son had a blast on the inflatables. If he didnt meet his quota then he would have not went to school either. I think it is WONDERFUL that the school rewarded the children for their hard work! I hope they do the same next year also. My son is looking forward to another fundraiser so he can do it again.
Guilting people to buy junk is not hard work.
welp

United States

#13 Oct 15, 2010
mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Guilting people to buy junk is not hard work.
We DIDNT guilt people into buying things. We bought items off other students whom in return their families bought items off of my son.... it was merely to help the SCHOOL raise money... thusfore, it is called a fundraiser. My son spent HIS time after school asking if anyone wanted to buy anything. Not everyone did and thats great too. But if your telling me it doesnt take courage and effort for a Preschooler to ask others to buy fundraiser items off of them you must be kidding me. Im proud of my son, he has learned valuable social skills from this experience. He has also learned that you will be rewarded for your good deeds. Positive reenforcement!!!!!! Now thats is something I believe in!
happy

United States

#14 Oct 15, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
I agree with u Happy---they should be rewarded and maybe thats the answer.....DONT SEND UR KIDS TO SCHOOL on the day of the inflatables, or maybe the school can do a carnival. I dont no the answer but for the kids sake everyone should come together.
I totally agree! Everyone should come together and find a MIDDLE ground if there is one. THe school didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings but merely to reward children for the fabulous jobs they did fundraising thus year!
PsychMom

United States

#15 Oct 15, 2010
welp wrote:
<quoted text>
We DIDNT guilt people into buying things. We bought items off other students whom in return their families bought items off of my son.... it was merely to help the SCHOOL raise money... thusfore, it is called a fundraiser. My son spent HIS time after school asking if anyone wanted to buy anything. Not everyone did and thats great too. But if your telling me it doesnt take courage and effort for a Preschooler to ask others to buy fundraiser items off of them you must be kidding me. Im proud of my son, he has learned valuable social skills from this experience. He has also learned that you will be rewarded for your good deeds. Positive reenforcement!!!!!! Now thats is something I believe in!
I had multiple children come to my door in GROUPS begging (literally begging.. "please, we have to sell 10 items to go to the party!") I would never allow my child to do that. Instead of allowing her to fundraise for the school, I sent a check in for $120 (the cost of buying 10 items) so she would not feel left out.

The children who did not get to go to the party were being punished for not raising money for the school. It is that simple. This party could have easily been planned for school after hours.

This school is greedy. A.R. testing has been proven to have a NEGATIVE effect the majority of childrens learning. Reading should never be rewarded or punished. Yet, the school forces children to take multiple A.R. tests each day because the school receives $$ from it.
mothertoo

United States

#16 Oct 15, 2010
The issue has been addressed and it will not be done in the same manner again. I, too, believe in rewarding kids for their hard work but I also felt this punished those who were less fortunate. We have an amazing superintendent and he will do what's best for kids. Concerning A.R., all kids are rewarded in A.R. so I don't see how anyone could think this is a bad system. Yes, it takes some kids more time then others, but that's o.k.We all learn at different rates, let's continue to encourage our children to strive to be better, not complain that "Johnny" gets more than you.
hum

United States

#17 Oct 15, 2010
I dont think this is about u have more then me and if u think thats what it is then u still dont get it. all anyone is saying is dont punish the kids for not selling. Dont make them do class work, while the other kids go play on the inflatables. Let them have free time or just relax and read.
Un happy

Portsmouth, OH

#18 Oct 17, 2010
My kids did earn the money for the party but where very upset that there friends did not get to go with them and left them in the rooms to do work. I think this should end. I think they should figure out other ways to earn money, honestly, how much did the spend on the inflatables??? come on people, would you have liked to have found out that your child sat back and watched the rest of them go have fun and then come back all excited...wheres the schools heart on this one. NO MORE INFLATABLES....
really

New York, NY

#19 Oct 17, 2010
you need to complain to the PTO, that is who brought it in. and collects from it.
SWParent

Portsmouth, OH

#20 Oct 19, 2010
I didn't let my kids sell the items either, and one of my kids was upset because the inflatables were set up outside of his classroom, and the kids playing could be seen. I say good for them, I would have gladly donated money for my kids to play, and I love the SW school system, I just feel this could have been handled better. We live in a tough economy and I don't feel like asking people to buy things, when the holidays are coming up, and gas/utilities/and food cost are all so high. Maybe the next time just ask if parents would be willing to donate money per child, and let them partake in the fun as well. South Webster schools are always doing what is right for the kids, I'm sure this was just an oversight. Hopefully next time it will go better, or the amount of items required to sell will be minimized, something so more can be included.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Webster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 13 min Pope Che Reagan C... 31,485
rats 26 min still happening 4
minford iga 2 hr jp 4
what is going on 2 hr jp 1
anyone know bradley swan? (Jul '10) 16 hr BradleySwansSiste... 14
Jackson Football 17 hr thankyou 13
hippy harrison 18 hr Jeremy Potts 6

South Webster Jobs

South Webster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Webster News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Webster

Personal Finance