400 Lb. Man Pulled To Safety In Motel Fire | WBNS-10TV, Central...

Full story: 10TV WBNS

Investigators said that a fire at a motel on Tuesday afternoon could have ended in tragedy if it were not for two bystanders.
Comments
1 - 20 of 89 Comments Last updated Oct 19, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
irritated

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

Judged:

it`s pathetic.if a person is so fat they have trouble getting around,why do they smoke-especially in bed?!!!!!!
Clear Eyed

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

Judged:

Wow, those are some brave people. Gives me hope for humans. Hope both men are doing ok.
Rob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

irritated wrote:
it`s pathetic.if a person is so fat they have trouble getting around,why do they smoke-especially in bed?!!!!!!
they smoke in bed because they probably never leave their bed. it's not just in the movies where people get so fat they cant get out of bed.
Colla

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

I think it was really good that there were two bystanders because otherwise the genleman would not be here today and I bet he thinks them with all he can.
Allan

Athens, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

Judged:

All kidding aside he was very very lucky.....Im sure hes greatful to all that came to his aid.....

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

It's good to know that there are some good people left in this world.
Yogurt

Trinity, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

While I'm proud of the heroics, obesity is a major problem.
2 cents

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

For those with the wisecracks keep your closet door shut one day your skeletons may fall out! The ability to speak or communicate does not mean one is intelligent. The proof is in the posts here!
CMH Rick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

This person put himself and everyone there in danger of being killed. He should be forced to pay every cent of the cost to restore the damage. Even if he has to use his allowance for tobacco and food until the cost is repaid.

He is lucky that there were some people there that cared more for his life than he did.

I hope that the people that saved his life get rewarded some way, they were true heros.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

What was Mark Mangino doing in a Columbus hotel? I thought OSU was playing Purdue this week?
ALSO A PARENT

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

I agree with you Yogurt - obesity is a major problem! It is a sickness and an addiction. Unless you have been in the situation you have no idea. So please don't make fun! They should have left the size of the gentlemen out of the headlines!!

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

ALSO A PARENT wrote:
I agree with you Yogurt - obesity is a major problem! It is a sickness and an addiction. Unless you have been in the situation you have no idea. So please don't make fun! They should have left the size of the gentlemen out of the headlines!!
How would they do that? "Man refuses to get out of bed while fire engulfs his room"?
CMH Rick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

ALSO A PARENT wrote:
The size of this man is probably the main reason he could not get out of bed. Obesity is a problem because a person will not control their eating, it's not a medical condition any more than being a drunk is.

You refuse to stop eating, you get fat. You refuse to stop drinking, you get drunk. If a person is drunk or fat, they should be made fun of.
wake up

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

I agree with Yogurt - really obese people do put all medics/firefighters in danger. There is special training & even expensive equipment to have to move people of this weight. Sure - it's an addiction - but get help. And for God's sake - don't endanger your own life by smoking in bed when you can't get up & thus endanger others.
Mattie

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

How is it possible that a 400lb smoker hasn't died of a heart attack? He is kinda beating the odds in more ways than one.
Heath

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

CMH Rick...right on!

I swear 80% of people's problems (obesity, drugs, drinking, ad nauseum) are all in their heads. The mind is POWERFUL folks. Do something about your problems. Convince yourself that the road you are on is going straight downhill. Take responsibility for yourself and quit blaming society and expect them to take care of you and the problems that YOU got yourself into. Work hard at it....I don't care if it means exercising and eating right or going into withdrawal, or refusing that drink being offered you. You want to get better?...then do it and quit feeling trapped. We only have one life....YOU decide how you want to spend it.

And I can hear the whiners now..."you don't know what it's like" "it's hard to quit an addiction". OF COURSE IT'S HARD! All the more reason to persevere.(One life...that's all we have!)
Tamika123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

I think that it is sad that people are more focused on his weight than the cause of the weight. People need to understand that obesity is a mental issue and until they get help with that then they will continue to be over weight. It could also be genetic. I myself am a emotional eater.I find a temporary comfort in food. Am I over weight? Yes!!!! to the point of being obese, for my height, yes!!! But I know that it has a lot to do with my depression and unitl I get help food is the answer. I feel for those of you that don't show compassion or have any idea what that person may be going through. I pray to God that you don't one day find yourself as the butt of cruel jokes and judgement.
Tamika123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

I also would like to give praise to both men that look past the size of the person and just saw a PERSON that needed help. May God bless you and keep you for putting yourself in harms way to help a fellow human being.
Christian

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

You know we may not have all the facts here. This 400LB MAN could be paralized in a wheel chair perhaps. Of course media wont tell that part. Maybe that is how he got so big to begin with. I ended up in a wheel chair for about two years and let me tell you if you cant get up your going to gain weight. But to make fun of someone over weight is not funny we come in different shapes and sizes for a reason, if we all looked and acted the same we would be bored out of our minds. It is like making fun of someone who wears glasses or braces. Maybe there is a reason he got so big to begin, perhaps not we do not know this answer.
Mattie

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Tamika123 wrote:
I think that it is sad that people are more focused on his weight than the cause of the weight. People need to understand that obesity is a mental issue and until they get help with that then they will continue to be over weight. It could also be genetic. I myself am a emotional eater.I find a temporary comfort in food. Am I over weight? Yes!!!! to the point of being obese, for my height, yes!!! But I know that it has a lot to do with my depression and unitl I get help food is the answer. I feel for those of you that don't show compassion or have any idea what that person may be going through. I pray to God that you don't one day find yourself as the butt of cruel jokes and judgement.
It seems to me that if you know you need help, you should go and get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent South Vienna Discussions

Search the South Vienna Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,208
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 1 hr super size 2,215
Paranormal Witness Werewolf (Oct '12) Thu DERRUFO 193
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed They cannot kill a Spook 231
Indictment arrest leads to alleged ... Jul 18 the wrath 2
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
OH Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in O... (Oct '10) Apr '14 squid 118
•••
•••
•••
•••

South Vienna Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Vienna People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••