Clarks submarine Sandwich
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Tei

AOL

#1 Dec 17, 2008
What happened to this restaurant?? Anymore exist around the metro??
yawn

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Dec 17, 2008
Tei wrote:
What happened to this restaurant?? Anymore exist around the metro??
there was one in White Bear Lake on Highway 244 back in the late 80's early 90's. As far as i know that was the last one.

Jimmy Johns is the closest thing i can find.#9....MMMMMMM
Subs

Hartford, CT

#3 Jan 5, 2009
No, they are not around anymore. My grandparents owned 2 of them. They closed late 80's I want to say. Subway had taken over. Its nice my grandma still knows the recipe for the sauce and is going to make the subs in a couple of weeks for the family..
Mikey

Chanhassen, MN

#4 Jan 7, 2009
Geeze... I haven't had a Clark's Sub since 1971. They were the best around in Minneapolis. I loved the taste of the sauce the most. You are very lucky having your grandma know the recipe for the sauce.
Don Halen

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 23, 2009
It was more of an oil wasn't it? GREAT Subs!
Pat

AOL

#6 Feb 4, 2009
Subs wrote:
No, they are not around anymore. My grandparents owned 2 of them. They closed late 80's I want to say. Subway had taken over. Its nice my grandma still knows the recipe for the sauce and is going to make the subs in a couple of weeks for the family..
Could you please share the recipe?
Original Recipe

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 4, 2009
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please share the recipe?
I used to work there. This is the recipe for a mixed cold cut Clarks sub.

white american cheese
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
salt

chopped lunch meat
smoked ham
hard salami
cotto salami

the oil:

(I do not remember the exact size of those little square bottles but they probably held about one cup of oil. So you might want to play with the amounts of garlic powder and jalapeno juice until you get the taste you prefer. We did not use measuring utinsels to make the oil. We used to scoop the garlic powder into the oil with the end of a wooden coffee stir stick, and we just poured the juice right out of the jalapeno pepper bottles)

1 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. jalapeno juice
Original Recipe

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 4, 2009
By the way. There were not any Clarks franchises. All Clarks stores were exclusively owned by two brothers. Clarks went bankrupt. They kept the 7th and Arcade store open but changed the name to "The Original Sub Shop". I do not know why but they closed it sometime during the late 1990's.
Original Recipe

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 4, 2009
I was thinking about it. The peppers were not Jalapenos. They were hot cherry peppers. Sorry for the misinformation!
Maude

Pottstown, PA

#11 Feb 13, 2009
Q: 4 Original Recipe:
Do you remember what variety of vinegar you put on the subs? It seemed rather sweet to my memory and the onions were delicate too-not too pungent.
I judge all subs by Clark's, the smell is burned in my memory. Very sweet and aromatic. Too bad they're gone...:(
Original Recipe wrote:
<quoted text>
white american cheese
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
salt
chopped lunch meat
smoked ham
hard salami
cotto salami
the oil:
(I do not remember the exact size of those little square bottles but they probably held about one cup of oil. So you might want to play with the amounts of garlic powder and jalapeno juice until you get the taste you prefer. We did not use measuring utinsels to make the oil. We used to scoop the garlic powder into the oil with the end of a wooden coffee stir stick, and we just poured the juice right out of the jalapeno pepper bottles)
1 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. jalapeno juice
Maude

Pottstown, PA

#12 Feb 13, 2009
Q: Also what is "chopped lunch meat" is it the meat listed below or a separate meat? Thanks!
Original Recipe wrote:
<quoted text>
white american cheese
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
salt
chopped lunch meat
smoked ham
hard salami
cotto salami
the oil:
1 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. jalapeno juice
michelle germann

Boyceville, WI

#13 Feb 20, 2009
Subs wrote:
I would be willing to pay (honestly) to get the recipe for that sauce, as well as verification that spiced luncheon mean is indeed spam. My brother and I are moving to florida, and we were talking about how much we miss clark's and wish that it was still around. It was so much better than Subway.

michelle germann
[email protected]
Chuck - Saint Paul

Willmar, MN

#14 Apr 16, 2009
How about that AWESOME Chicken Salad!!! Yum... Could go for one now..
Original Recipe wrote:
<quoted text>
white american cheese
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
salt
chopped lunch meat
smoked ham
hard salami
cotto salami
the oil:
1 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. jalapeno juice
Bobbi Jo

Park Rapids, MN

#15 May 19, 2009
I was raised in St. Paul not to far from the University Ave. Clarks. Spiced Lunchmeat was my favorite. My husband was from Northwestern Mn. and was quickly introduced to my favorite staple.
After I became pregnant he made many late night trips to to take care of my craving. I do miss that oil dressing too. Italian is much to vinegary. Wish I'd have worked there and got in on the secret sooner. I'm going to try the oil, garlic pwd. and red bell pepper juice. If it's even close I'll be so happy.
Roland - MSP

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 7, 2009
I grew up in saint paul and often frequented the university and the white bear / larpenture clarks stores. The vinaigrette and onions were the best taste around and if they were still in business today, I am sure they could find a niche again to flourish in.

I as well have that unique taste burned into my memory and often to this day crave to have a clarks ham and swiss. Easily the best dam sub shop of itís time!

My other favís are the best steak house and angeloís pizza in the hillcrest shopping center. I also miss shakees pizza, another great place to eat in the good old days!
dillpickle4

Andover, MN

#17 Jun 24, 2009
Roland there is a Shakies pizza in Rochester,Mn. it is a good spot to eat still yet and the chicken is good also it is a busy place so if you want to or if you can take a ride to Rochester.
jack

Lakeville, MN

#18 Jun 25, 2009
Hello,

I remember the Clarks sub shop in Columbia Heights from when I was a kid. Any chance you could get me the recipe so I can relive my favorite sandwich of my childhood?
Subs wrote:
John

AOL

#19 Jul 14, 2009
I miss Clarks submarine! Rochester no longer have Shakey's pizza. Too bad, I like those Pizza place.
Dan

Albert Lea, MN

#20 Jul 15, 2009
dillpickle4 wrote:
Roland there is a Shakies pizza in Rochester,Mn. it is a good spot to eat still yet and the chicken is good also it is a busy place so if you want to or if you can take a ride to Rochester.
Sorry, the Shakeys' Pizza place closed a few years ago when they rebiult Highway 52. By coincidence I took my family there on there last night it was open, purely by chance, and the place was packed. As fas as Clarks, why doesn't someone reopen those places, the loyalty to that taste is amazing in the Cities!!
Susan

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Aug 24, 2009
Would someone please find out if we can convince someone to open them again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Paul / 2 men charged in fatal shooting (Feb '08) Wed Tasha Scott 33
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Saint Paul (Nov '13) Apr 22 Go Blue Forever 63
Richard Dean Renwick "dropbacknpunt" on ebay. H... (Jan '16) Apr 17 rashonda 4
News The Tax March Is Different From Other Trump Pro... Apr 15 ardith 1
News With one horse and one ride, one girl hopes to ... (Jan '09) Apr 13 FLgeezer 18
News Minnesota governor released from hospital after... (Feb '16) Apr 10 Ms Sassy 9
News Triple homicide: The latest Apr 10 Blink 1

South St. Paul Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South St. Paul Mortgages