Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriage Lawsuit

There are 116 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 14, 2013, titled Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriage Lawsuit. In it, EDGE reports that:

Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman, saying it promotes the state's interest in "responsible procreation" and the "optimal mode of child-rearing."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#55 Oct 15, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It's important to me. All other things being equal, a mother and father provide the optimal family.
2. I think they care very much. Why do you think they don't? Do you think two people that have grown apart should stay together?
3. Yes, that's very sad. A product of our educational system. The good news is it's not representative of typical family life.
4. Maybe in your biased mind. In reality, society is very concerned with those issues. Reality is something that escapes many homosexuals.
5. Why don't you and your partner create your own? If I were a child the last thing I'd want my elementary school classmates to know is I have two dads and no mom. "THE HORROR" could be very real for that child.
I don't see anyone trying to solve any of those problems, do you?? They're all too busy claiming that keeping the gays from legally marrying will somehow solve all these problems that are the exclusive domain of straight couples.

When was the last time a gay couple "accidentally" had a child they didn't want? When was the last time a gay person married four different spouses, had children with all of them, and then kept right on dumping them and starting again with another spouse?? When was the last time a gay person went on The Maury Povich Show to see if they could find out which one of the three dozen people they'd been having regular unprotected sex with is their baby-daddy?? When was the last time a gay couple had a kid that they didn't want and dumped it on the foster care system to raise?? When was the last time a straight couple had their children taken away from them because someone else's religion doesn't approve of straight parents??

When you can demonstrate to me how keeping gay couples from legally marrying will resolve any of those heterosexual problems, let me know, okay?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#57 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
Queers should never be allowed to be around children, let alone raise them.
It must really bother you that you don't have a say in that.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#58 Oct 15, 2013
Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman, saying it promotes the state's interest in "responsible procreation" and the "optimal mode of child-rearing."

I guess they forget that that argument has already been rejected by a higher court as unfounded.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#59 Oct 15, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<If I were a child the last thing I'd want my elementary school classmates to know is I have two dads and no mom. "THE HORROR" could be very real for that child.
If I were a child, the last thing I'd want my elementary school classmates to know is that my parents were uneducated right-wing bigots. Oh, the horror!
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#60 Oct 15, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
It says a great deal about them and their pretend "christian" values that they would rather see a child grow up alone in the foster care system with no one to really love them than allow them to be adopted into a loving family.
PRETEND being the operative word. They don't even have enough sense to be embarrassed for being so xenophobic.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#61 Oct 15, 2013
I suspect the state's argument won't withstand summary judgment. The state's primary argument has already been dismissed in numerous other courts, and as the article clearly says, the state doesn't even attempt to prove the unions to be harmful.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#65 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
<quoted text>
Queers should never be allowed to be around children, let alone raise them.
What about Internet trolls that fantasize about gay sex 24/7/365 but never actually GET any? I would think that people like you would be a far greater risk around children than any Queer I know (and, again, thank you for capitalizing Queer--we deserve the respect).

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#66 Oct 15, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because the federal govt, run by jews, needs to be abolished and the states to become sovereign and self sustaining.
Down with Israel!
ROTFLMAO!!!!

What an idiot you are.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Warrington, PA

#67 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
That's because the federal govt, run by jews, needs to be abolished and the states to become sovereign and self sustaining.
Down with Israel!
I'll bet you're a big hit at parties!!

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#69 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
It must really bother you that a lot of people do!!!
Like who? I see gay people raising kids all over the place. These people you speak of don't really "have a say" if they can't do anything about it.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#73 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
You also see queers molesting little boys all over the place, even though you won't admit it.
No, I see messed up MEN doing those things. Ask those men if they're gay. "Oh NO!" They'll tell you. "I'm totally straight! Just ask my wife!" They'll say.

These are people who have no concept of sexuality, consent, or the separation of adulthood and childhood. If they do have same-sex desires, they were never given the freedom to explore that and establish who they are, so they act out in massively inappropriate ways. They don't know the first thing about a proper relationship. More often than not, these degenerates are heavily invested in a religion, which only disbalances their concepts of sexuality even worse.

But an actual gay person? One who is comfortable with his or her identity? One who fights for equal rights, has a partner, or hosts the Emmys? These are not your molesters. These are people who were given the chance and the encouragement to discover who they are, and to properly integrate their sexuality into their identity.

Telling the difference between these two groups is clearly not something you care about. That makes you a danger to children. You'll expose them to people who appear "normal" to you, which is exactly what they want.
Roll Tide wrote:
That's why it's not easy for you freaks to adopt children. Because there's people looking out for kids.
It's not easy for ANYONE to adopt children. But your "people" who vetted Alan and Laura Shatto's adoption, or Larry and Carri Williams', did a pretty crappy job.

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#74 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
<quoted text>You also see queers molesting little boys all over the place, even though you won't admit it. That's why it's not easy for you freaks to adopt children. Because there's people looking out for kids.
If you, or any one else have seen anyone molesting boys all over the place, you should be arrested. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#75 Oct 15, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Says a fagg@t with a little boys d!ck in his mouth.
Save it for the confessional.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#76 Oct 15, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Like who? I see gay people raising kids all over the place. These people you speak of don't really "have a say" if they can't do anything about it.
I think our "Troll Tide" was just grasping and straws and hoping to sound clever. He clearly didn't think any more about that post than he does any other post.

But, credit where credit is due--it must be really difficult for the trolls to think, type, AND jerk off, all at the same time. One of them has to go. And it's clearly not typing or jerking off....

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#77 Oct 15, 2013
Kimberling wrote:
<quoted text> If you, or any one else have seen anyone molesting boys all over the place, you should be arrested. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Yeah, well, he's not exactly known for brightness. Or honesty.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#78 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Down with Israel!
Well you just go ahead an start working on that.

Meanwhile we'll keep getting marriage equality for same-sex couples in state after state after state.

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#82 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
<quoted text>I can hold a light bulb over a concrete sidewalk, then drop it. I don't have to see it to know it busted all to pieces. Same thing with you queers and little boys.
Stop ASSuming just because I don't agree with you I must be gay. You would be ASSuming wrong. The things that you must be thinking of you should be arrested for. It's obvious the filth is coming out of your own mind.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#83 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
<quoted text>
I can hold a light bulb over a concrete sidewalk, then drop it. I don't have to see it to know it busted all to pieces. Same thing with you queers and little boys.
Drop the bulb on your head and see what happens.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#85 Oct 15, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a marriage. Just in your delusional mind.
Denying the facts because you don't like them is delusional. Fortunately, the federal government does not agree with you, and the state bans are falling fast.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#87 Oct 15, 2013
Roll Tide wrote:
<quoted text>
Identify as
That's the famous words Queers use, Identify as. They IDENTIFY AS heterosexuals because they're closet Queers posing as heterosexuals. Not hard to understand....
You poor thing. Changing your name doesn't change your problems. geting some help, might.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Slickrock Towing And Recovery (Nov '12) Tue Outofstate 27
Birth Parents & Adoptees & Siblings Mon joanNYadoptees 1
News POLYGAMY: Utah Co. prosecutors want to see 'big... (Sep '10) Mon u need more meds 7
News Is this the year of women of color in politics? May 20 Lawrence Wolf 46
News MURDER: Man ordered to stand trial in aunt's sl... (Sep '10) May 18 Poo-Bear 5
News US court halts contentious law on contact lens ... May 18 AfricanAmerican 2
News Some LGBT residents critical of Utah anti-discr... May 13 Rainbow Kid 1
More from around the web

South Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]