Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriag...

Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriage Lawsuit

There are 116 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 14, 2013, titled Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriage Lawsuit. In it, EDGE reports that:

Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman, saying it promotes the state's interest in "responsible procreation" and the "optimal mode of child-rearing."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#32 Oct 14, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they should. Why should any state deny any child the basic human rights to be endowed with a female mother during the childs most indelible years of their lives? That's not only reasonable and logical, but also natural for all species that are born and have a female mother, goofy. Excuses excuses.
Your ignorance is showing again.

There are species where the biological mother has little or nothing to do with the raising of the children. And before modern medicine it was far too common for young mothers to die during childbirth, leaving the fathers to raise the children.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#33 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course they should. Why should any state deny any child the basic human rights to be endowed with a female mother during the childs most indelible years of their lives? That's not only reasonable and logical, but also natural for all species that are born and have a female mother, goofy. Excuses excuses.
Based on your "logic", a child with Lesbian mothers would be TWICE blessed with TWO "female mother(s)". If "female mother(s)" are so critical, wouldn't a Lesbian couple be twice as good for a child as a straight couple??

Maybe we should ban straight couples from raising children unless they could match the awesomeness of Lesbian couples by bringing in a second wife so that THEIR children will have two "female mother(s)", too!!!

It pays to think about what you post before you post it, doesn't it??

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#34 Oct 14, 2013
I love how you people keep making up "basic human rights" to deny legal rights.

You have no idea what happens in nature; some mothers EAT their young, or kill weak offspring. Shouldn`t these also be rights, using your logic?
<quoted text>

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#36 Oct 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
You have no idea what happens in nature; some mothers EAT their young, or kill weak offspring. Shouldn`t these also be rights, using your logic?
<quoted text>
Let's start with the Democrats.:)

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#37 Oct 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep!! I love how these idiots are always hammering away at "a mother AND a father!!!", yet they care not one little bit about the 50+% divorce rate, 80% of kids NOT being raised by their two bio-parents, absent fathers (and mothers), people that have kids and then dump them on society to raise, those women that bring 10, 15, 20 guys onto the Maury Povich show trying to find out which of the dozens of men they've been having unprotected sex with is their baby-daddy, people that have kids with three or four or five ex-spouses, only to dump them and find a newer and better spouse to have MORE kids with...

None of that matters at all. No problem. But let ONE gay couple adopt a child in need and it's a sure sign of the end times!! THE END IS NEAR!!! Children in need are getting loving homes!! THE HORROR!!!

LOL!!! Idiots.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#38 Oct 14, 2013
Neemis wrote:
Two men who f*ck each other up the as should not be allowed anywhere near children.
What about the ones like you that just fantasize about it 24/7/365? Should YOU be kept away from children?

“A long time ago”

in a galaxy far, far away....

#39 Oct 14, 2013
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that if same-sex marriages are banned, then gay people will suddenly stop raising any children? How does that magic work?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#40 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Because it's NONE OF THE STATE'S BUSINESS!
Praxis33

Agawam, MA

#41 Oct 14, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is showing again.
Funny you can't name such defects.

Indianapolis

#42 Oct 14, 2013
Nah, it`s the teabaggers who demonstrate weakness and inferior genetics.
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's start with the Democrats.:)

Indianapolis

#43 Oct 14, 2013
Catholic charities actually shut down rather than allow gays to adopt...adoption being a legal, not religious process.
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep!! I love how these idiots are always hammering away at "a mother AND a father!!!", yet they care not one little bit about the 50+% divorce rate, 80% of kids NOT being raised by their two bio-parents, absent fathers (and mothers), people that have kids and then dump them on society to raise, those women that bring 10, 15, 20 guys onto the Maury Povich show trying to find out which of the dozens of men they've been having unprotected sex with is their baby-daddy, people that have kids with three or four or five ex-spouses, only to dump them and find a newer and better spouse to have MORE kids with...
None of that matters at all. No problem. But let ONE gay couple adopt a child in need and it's a sure sign of the end times!! THE END IS NEAR!!! Children in need are getting loving homes!! THE HORROR!!!
LOL!!! Idiots.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44 Oct 14, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! Idiots.
THAT just needs to be said again ... and again ... and AGAIN ...

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#47 Oct 15, 2013
Under that "logic" people straight couples who don't want children or can't have children can't get married either, right?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#48 Oct 15, 2013
Corbin wrote:
Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman.
DUH!
Why was this ever questioned in the first place. THAT'S THE REAL PROBLEM!
Because it is unconstitutional and irrational.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#49 Oct 15, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
There are species where the biological mother has little or nothing to do with the raising of the children.
So gays are like those other species? Can those other species get a marriage license?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#50 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Mothers are WONDERFUL. My kids have two.

And, I haven't seen any of these anti-marriage bans with a provision for preventing gay people from having or raising children, and there are NO such bans in the works, so I am trying to grasp your point, here.

Are you saying that the many many thousands of kids being raised by gay couples are better off if their parents are unmarried? Can you provide any studies or statistics that prove this goofy assertion?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#51 Oct 15, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Yep!! I love how these idiots are always hammering away at "a mother AND a father!!!",
2. yet they care not one little bit about the 50+% divorce rate, 3. 80% of kids NOT being raised by their two bio-parents, absent fathers (and mothers), people that have kids and then dump them on society to raise, those women that bring 10, 15, 20 guys onto the Maury Povich show trying to find out which of the dozens of men they've been having unprotected sex with is their baby-daddy, people that have kids with three or four or five ex-spouses, only to dump them and find a newer and better spouse to have MORE kids with...
4. None of that matters at all. No problem.
But let ONE gay couple adopt a child in need and it's a sure sign of the end times!! THE END IS NEAR!!! Children in need are getting loving homes!! THE HORROR!!!
LOL!!! Idiots.
1. It's important to me. All other things being equal, a mother and father provide the optimal family.
2. I think they care very much. Why do you think they don't? Do you think two people that have grown apart should stay together?
3. Yes, that's very sad. A product of our educational system. The good news is it's not representative of typical family life.
4. Maybe in your biased mind. In reality, society is very concerned with those issues. Reality is something that escapes many homosexuals.
5. Why don't you and your partner create your own? If I were a child the last thing I'd want my elementary school classmates to know is I have two dads and no mom. "THE HORROR" could be very real for that child.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#52 Oct 15, 2013
Neemis wrote:
Two men who f*ck each other up the as should not be allowed anywhere near children.
Neither should you.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#53 Oct 15, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It's important to me. All other things being equal, a mother and father provide the optimal family.
2. I think they care very much. Why do you think they don't? Do you think two people that have grown apart should stay together?
3. Yes, that's very sad. A product of our educational system. The good news is it's not representative of typical family life.
4. Maybe in your biased mind. In reality, society is very concerned with those issues. Reality is something that escapes many homosexuals.
5. Why don't you and your partner create your own? If I were a child the last thing I'd want my elementary school classmates to know is I have two dads and no mom. "THE HORROR" could be very real for that child.
Then you should provide a mom & a dad for your family.

We believe having loving parents with the legal protections of marriage makes the optimal family.

Kids today aren't as bigoted as when you were growing up. The only kids who would tease or taunt another kid with 2 moms or 2 dads are those few who are TAUGHT to be hateful little bigots by their hateful bigoted parents. Unfortunately there are still a few morons who insist on teaching their kids to be bigots & bullies.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#54 Oct 15, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Catholic charities actually shut down rather than allow gays to adopt...adoption being a legal, not religious process.
<quoted text>
It says a great deal about them and their pretend "christian" values that they would rather see a child grow up alone in the foster care system with no one to really love them than allow them to be adopted into a loving family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stupid utah drivers (Feb '08) Sun Rod 122
specialized bicycle Problem Nov 15 JammedTrailBike 1
News Nurse Arrested For Refusing To Take Blood From ... Nov 12 Angela miek 43
News Protesters demand to see footage of fatal shoot... Nov 11 Angela 2
News Homeless hotline won't take reports, Liberty We... Nov 9 Bully McBullerspits 1
Apartments that forbid pitbulls in So SLC (May '16) Jun '16 ThomasA 4
News Lawmakers to consider 'grand boulevard' entranc... (May '16) May '16 Cheri 1

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Salt Lake Mortgages