Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32001 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20526 Feb 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!!! I am not acquainted with common sense or logic, yet you are the one posting south park websites as a place to gain truth?? I have actually seen that episode of south park and found it quite funny. I have a sense humor. However, looking to south park for gospel truth is ludicrous. If you want the truth about something, ask people who practice it. Hell, ask people who have left it. Even many of them will give you truth. but asking a person who has never practiced the faith is ridiculous. Get your head out of the sand.
Btw way, DUMB is a person who can not speak or hear. I think you were looking for a different term :)
1. I’ve posted plenty of times where ex-Mormons warn people, so why didn’t you b’tch about them? Because you know your criticism is dumb. I posted the link to South Park for people who are too dumb to get it unless it’s explained in the simplest terms.

2. Here’s my response to your last dumb comment:
dumb
/d&#652;m/ Show Spelled [duhm] Show IPA adjective, dumb·er, dumb·est, verb
adjective
1. lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.
2. lacking the power of speech (often offensive when applied to humans): a dumb animal.
3. temporarily unable to speak: dumb with astonishment.
4. refraining from any or much speech; silent.
5. made, done, etc., without speech.

Notice the FIRST, MAIN DEFINITION???
You could have looked that up yourself, just so you didn’t look really dumb, but you seem to also be lazy, or maybe the only thing that mattered was finding as much BS as you could use to criticize me, even though you’re always wrong. I don’t see how that can be worth the effort.

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20527 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)
No, just common sense, evidence, testimonies, and the courage to accept the truth, whether it's what I want or not.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#20528 Feb 21, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
Who
CARES?
Either way its not Christian, your ship is sinking and burning at the same time and you are worried what time lunch is.
Umm, you should care if what you were trying to establish was truth based on historical facts? But since you don't care if what you said had a total contradiction, that means you don't care if what you post about Mormons is an out right lie or the truth.
That means you prove you're willing to tell a whopper of a lie to just have something to say. And that speaks a lot about your character that you obviously don't care about. It's called self disrespect.
Now if you were an honest type individual, you would have cared and would have said something to the effect of, "No, I didn't see that contradiction. I thought they lined up all the settlers and the settlers willingly let those Mormon elders slit there throats so they could fulfil their blood atonement doctrine. I didn't know that most all those settlers were shot and stabbed to death. You're correct. Being shot and stabbed to death does not meet the requirement of death for the blood atonement doctrine that Young made specifications about, to use a knife on the throat. Gee, thanks for that clarification! I would rather post what is true than a lie."

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20529 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're idiot if you see agreement in our posts,.
lol...there was agreement. You agreed with yourself not to answer the question and I agreed you agreed not to answer the question...debate coward, how you you be anything less?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20530 Feb 21, 2013
I am also anti-lie
lol...self proclaimed liar...lol.

You just posted historical information along with an opinion that contradicted itself as an out right lie. You agreed that the MMM was done from the blood atonement doctrine that requires the throat to be slit by a (usually)willing victim.
The settlers were shot and stabbed at two main points. They were shot at while encircled and died. Than thinking they were under truce, they were ambushed while walking and were shot and stabbed to death very quickly.
No blood atonement method was used (slicing the throat by a knife) during that massacre that is known of.
Since you claimed the blood atonement doctrine/method was used for that massacre, you lied. Kind of simple understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20531 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
The only conclusion we can come to is you are a liar as you still have not posted a quote from LDS scripture that states we had Spirits that look like our Bodies do now.
Hey dumb dumb just wondering have you really thought this one through.
Did our Spirits look like us when we were 2 months old, 2 years old 20 years old or 45 years old or 98 years old.
Yeh you are a dumb dumb that is clear and not a Christian to boot.
You didn't read the information. If you had read it which you didn't, and since you claim you did but you didn't, you made a liar of yourself AGAIN.
See, if you had actually read that information, you would have understood that the design of the physical body was to conform it to the shape of the spirit/intelligence that would possess it.
But you din't read that info and you claimed you read it. That means you call yourself a liar.
Have a nice day now :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20532 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're God started out as a man. That means when you claim he was the same yesterday, today, and forever, you lie.
<quoted text>
Stop lying Carol.
You were a Mormon for 30 years and all you can do is lie about the doctrines you claim are lies? You can't get any lower in lying than that can you? Maybe you can.
First, as a Mormon you should know God was God before he became a man, that is Mormon 101.
Second, God has always been the same yesterday, today and forever because how he thought and spoke never had deviations from always being truth. That's Mormon 101.
Third, attaining a physical body was part of the process we all have went through that he also went through in attaining divine perfection to be as his Father was. That is Mormon 101.
Fourth, God never ever started out as a man. Mormon 1901 has never ever taught any such thing. And for you to claim it does is an out right lie. God had his existence as the rest of us as an intelligence. That intelligence has no beginning and has no ending. At one point that intelligence was blessed for what it was and stood among the great and noble intelligences that have always been. But it was more pure in itself than all others and always had been. That's Mormon 101 taught in the priesthood meetings you claim you attended and listened to.
Yet you know nothing of those teachings that exist that you claim don't exist. That means you are your own liar.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20533 Feb 21, 2013
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just common sense, evidence, testimonies, and the courage to accept the truth, whether it's what I want or not.
Common sense as you call it that's used not to believe anything in the BOM can be actually true, it's only been around for about 180 years.
In 1830 when Smith wrote his book of possibilities, educated men and educated men of science in that specific year knew for a fact that the following didn't exist and or never happened.
No indigenous peoples of the Americas had a written language.
None had a mathematical number system.
The indigenous people knew very little about astronomy.
They neither knew how to build multi-story buildings.
They knew next to nothing of farming till the English arrived.
Except for skirmishes here and there, the indigenous peoples were and had been very pacifistic type people.
The indigenous peoples knew nothing of large scale war and or how to build defences for war.
The indigenous peoples never made human sacrifices as it happened in the old world.
Prior to Columbus, no one had ever came to this continent by boat.
I'll stop there. I could go on including elephants mentioned in Smith's book and the elephant head relief carvings now found on Mayan/Aztec temples but I'll stop there.
Yet every one of those things spoken of by Smith in his book to some degree or another, men of science AFTER Smiths death, decades to one to two centuries later would prove Smith's statements in his book were not only possible, but had happened and or did exist.
Do those things prove the BOM true? Of course not. But when Smith claimed those things did in fact exist and happen when educated men said they didn't, Smith got it correct and they didn't :)
and again

Morristown, TN

#20535 Feb 21, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
That message was for the people in Paul's time. Not a letter for you or me. Lrn2comprehend
Wait, you're saying parts of the Bible were written to the people of Paul's time and do not apply to us??? Are you serious? That letter was preserved in the canon for no reason other than...well, what? He wrote it?

Everything in God's word was preserved because it is necessary for Christians to know the truth. It was passed down for followers to be able to grow to be a mature Christians, able to discern good from evil.

In the same letter Gal. chpt. 6 it speaks of the very reason to pass down this information.

Gal. 1:6-9 is the very verse that answers the title of this post!!!

The apostle Paul himself says that Mormons would not be accepted as Christians Everything they teach, beyond what the Apostles of Christ taught, is not part of the Gospel.

When the false angel appeared to Joseph Smith, Smith(had he known the scriptures) should have turned away in the same manner Jesus turned away from Satan. That false, accursed angel which appeared to Smith led Smith, and everyone who listened to him, into false teachings!!
Historian

Franklin, NC

#20536 Feb 21, 2013
As much as one could debate the the many points of view contained in the scriptures,the fact is,these early Christians lived a simple life.
Each morning awake then fall to your knees and ask for guidence. When the day is over remember to say THANK YOU.

Historian
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20537 Feb 21, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Undoubtedly we are saved because of Christ and not because we are married. The point is that husband and wife can be partakers of salvation TOGETHER.
You don't even now what the Bible declares regarding being saved or you could not post the above.

You are saved because you believe and have faith in Jesus Christ.
Meaning you believe what he taught.

He taught that OT is scripture, He taught that he would send the Holy Ghost spirit to remind the Apostles of what he taught and they wrote it done as scripture the NT.

If you believe in Christ Jesus you will follow him do as he did and believe as he did and then you will be called a Christian(follower of Chris)

LDS are not Christians they do not follow the Teachings of Jesus the Christ as revealed in the HOLY Scriptures.

LDS follow J.S.'s made up fictitious Jesus.

What is even odder about LDS is that they come some 1800 years after the fact and claim God was unable to maintain his word since the death of disciples Apostles. That they have a restored Christianity that does not in the slightest resemble 33 AD Christianity let alone 500 AD let alone 2000 AD.

The HISTORICAL evidence is overwhelming that Christianity has a continuous unbroken history never once with any scriptures that are today being compromised or lost.

Not one Historical institution validates the BOM as historical
Not One Christian denomination form RCC to Lutheran to Baptist to SDA recognize LDS as Christian.

Yet LDS claim that all of modern day Christianity is apostate and of the Devil.

Then when when Chirsitdom says to JOHN on the spot LDS you are not Christian they say prove it.

LOL ROFL it is the LDS who claim they are Christian yet don't belieive as Christians have for 2000 Years.

NO the obligation is on the LDS to prove they are Christians.
NO the obligation is on the LDS to prove that God was unable to preserve his word the past 2000 Years.
NO the obligation is on the LDS to prove that temple marriages like they have now are the same as in 50AD in Jereualem.
NO the obligation is on the LDS to prove Jesus believed Father God was once a man like we are now.
NO the obligation is on the LDS to prove the BOM is scripture tha J.S. was a prophet as was B.Y.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#20538 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...there was agreement. You agreed with yourself not to answer the question and I agreed you agreed not to answer the question...debate coward, how you you be anything less?
No Surprise, you are proof that ignorance is bliss.
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20539 Feb 21, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so who IS Christian?
Alright. I guess you got us. You have convinced me. We are not Christians because our view of the Godhead breaks with post-New Testament Christian history and returns to the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself.
Harper's Bible dictionary, written by 180 members of the Society of Biblical Literature, reports that "the formal doctrine of the Trinity as it was defined by the great church councils

...cut for space

?
Yes you are here to demean the Christian belief in the Godhead that is what your founding Prophet declared that we are apostate and of the devil. For you to write otherwise is you being decietful.
YOU if you are LDS believe that the Godhead is Three distinct Gods
because that is what J.S. declared.
Jesus of the 1st century confirmed the OT as scripture Truth and it declares there is only ONE GOD no one God head made up of three God's
You play a shell game you clearly are a politician not a seeker of truth as you post half statements hoping your audience is uneducated to point them out.
Yes the Trinity is not found in the OT or NT THE WORD.
It was coined in the 3rd and 4th centuries as a tool.
I.E. If I asked you do you believe in the Trinity as biblical it meant
I believe in ONE GOD no others anywhere now past or future.
That the personage not person of Father God Son of God Holy Spirit of God are the ONE GOD.
That is to say the ONE God has revealed himself as FATHER SON and HOlY SPIRIT.
So to sum up if a Christian as in the 4th century or a Christian today says they believe in the Trinity of God it was a tool that conveved meaning to the recipete that they believe the above which is all biblical with having to say and use all those words.
It is a summation of belief codified in one word to save time.
NO Trinity is not in the Bible but what it represents clearly is.
For you to quote your bible ditionary is one of two things on your part.
Completely dishonest and decitful or you showing you are completely uneducated on Christianity and its history.
Either way one should use extreme caution with you in matters of faith.
Instead of regurgitation of LDS propaganda take the time a couple of years at least as I have and independently study Church history outside any one organization and see where it leads. I did and the process has given me A FAITH built on a rock of Ages.

Marysville, CA

#20540 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You were a Mormon for 30 years and all you can do is lie about the doctrines you claim are lies? You can't get any lower in lying than that can you? Maybe you can.
First, as a Mormon you should know God was God before he became a man, that is Mormon 101.
Second, God has always been the same yesterday, today and forever because how he thought and spoke never had deviations from always being truth. That's Mormon 101.
Third, attaining a physical body was part of the process we all have went through that he also went through in attaining divine perfection to be as his Father was. That is Mormon 101.
Fourth, God never ever started out as a man. Mormon 1901 has never ever taught any such thing. And for you to claim it does is an out right lie. God had his existence as the rest of us as an intelligence. That intelligence has no beginning and has no ending. At one point that intelligence was blessed for what it was and stood among the great and noble intelligences that have always been. But it was more pure in itself than all others and always had been. That's Mormon 101 taught in the priesthood meetings you claim you attended and listened to.
Yet you know nothing of those teachings that exist that you claim don't exist. That means you are your own liar.
Apparently, simple plain English is beyond your comprehension. I don't know what Mormon church you attended, but the one based in Salt Lake City believes and teaches that God was once, just a man. One of the most famous sayings in Mormonism is: "As man is, God once was. As God is, Man may become." The meaning couldn't be more clearing, except to you. That is Mormonism 101. But, I'll be glad to back it up with more LDS leaders quotes. Lds leaders who have the power and authority to speak for Mormonism teaches, unlike you who will lie and twist anything to try to save your perverted church:

God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man... I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea... He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth.
Joseph Smith - Mormonism founder
Ensign, April 1971, p.13-14

Remember that God, our heavenly Father, was perhaps once a child, and mortal like we ourselves, and rose step by step in the scale of progress, in the school of advancement; has moved forward and overcome, until He has arrived at the point where He now is.
Orson Hyde - Mormon apostle
Journal of Discourses 1:123

He is our Father-the Father of our spirits, and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are,
Brigham Young - Mormon prophet
Journal of Discourses 7:333

God is a natural man... Where did he get his knowledge from? From his Father, just as we get knowledge from our earthly parents.
Heber C. Kimball - First Presidency Counselor
Journal of Discourses 8:211

Mormon prophets have continuously taught the sublime truth that God the Eternal Father was once a mortal man who passed through a school of earth life similar to that through which we are now passing. He became God-an exalted being.(p.104)

Yet, if we accept the great law of eternal progression, we must accept the fact that there was a time when Deity was much less powerful than He is today.(p.114)
Milton R. Hunter - Mormon Seventy
The Gospel Throughout The Ages, p.104,114-15

Show me Mormon leaders teaching anything different. I'll wait.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#20541 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
... blah, blah, blah...
You are free to believe as you choose... but... so are we.

We are entitled to believe just as you. We do not have to justify to you or any other that the Book of Mormon is a Historical document (which is evidence)...

It does not contradict the Bible.

We believe in the Bible.

We believe in Jesus Christ.

... many LDS have testified this to you...
yet, for some reason you say we believe things that we don't
and that we don't believe things that we do...

You have not read the Book of Mormon,
You do not get your "ninja anti-key copy paste" evidence from authorized sources, you make things up or go to anti-Mormon sights and copy paste.

-> that right there is why you have no credibility.

The fact is Egypt just because you say something doesn't make it true...

If you wanted to get back your credibility you really should research the TRUTH about the Church and what WE believe, not what you THINK we believe... or, what you have been told we believe.

Then come back and tell us what we believe.

Like you say TRUTH MATTERS.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20542 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No Surprise, you are proof that ignorance is bliss.
...debate coward...
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20543 Feb 21, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
You can not discredit the idea of a God with a body with out discrediting and dismissing both the mortal and resurrect Christ. If you are claiming to be a Christian, surely you wouldn't want to do that.
I AM Christian you are not if you are LDS meaning you believe LDS theology.

I do not discredit anything, that is you being dishonest and deceitful by trying to put words in my mouth.
Stick to what I post you won't look so foolish.

I only repeat that which God declares in his word as Christians have believed for 2000 Years.

GOD is all powerful he is Spirit and should he choose to have a personage Jesus the Son who is God dwell in fullness in flesh called the incarnation that is his choice I don't argue with God. He says it I believe it.

I apprehend God when he tells me how his being exists I do not comprehend it. To comprehend it I too would be GOD of God would have to give me a revelation that he has not done yet.

Marysville, CA

#20544 Feb 21, 2013
Some more:

"God himself was once as we are now,... We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

"It is a 'Mormon' truism that is current among us and we all accept it, that as man is God once was and as God is man may become."
— Elder Melvin J. Ballard
General Conference, April 1921

"What, is it possible that the Father of Heights, the Father of our spirits, could reduce himself and come forth like a man? Yes, he was once a man like you and I are and was once on an earth like this," -Prophet Brigham Young, 14 July 1861, Recorded in "The Essential Brigham Young", p.138

Gospel Fundamentals, 2002.

It will help us to remember that our Father in Heaven was once a man who lived on an earth, the same as we do. He became our Father in Heaven by overcoming problems, just as we have to do on this earth.(p. 204)

Doctrines of the Gospel: Teachers Manual, Religion 430 & 432, 2000.

The Prophet Joseph Smith's first vision in 1820 (see Joseph Smith—History 1:11–20) and the famous King Follett discourse given shortly before Joseph's martyrdom in 1844 (see Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 343–62) are significant doctrinal teachings on the nature of God.... In the King Follett discourse, Joseph Smith declared that the first principle of the gospel consists of knowing the character of God. Joseph taught that God "was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself" (Teachings, p. 346; or Supporting Statements B on pp. 7–8 of the student manual).(p. 7)

concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20545 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...self proclaimed liar...lol.
You just posted historical information along with an opinion that contradicted itself as an out right lie. You agreed that the MMM was done from the blood atonement doctrine that requires the throat to be slit by a (usually)willing victim.
The settlers were shot and stabbed at two main points. They were shot at while encircled and died. Than thinking they were under truce, they were ambushed while walking and were shot and stabbed to death very quickly.
No blood atonement method was used (slicing the throat by a knife) during that massacre that is known of.
Since you claimed the blood atonement doctrine/method was used for that massacre, you lied. Kind of simple understand?
I will refrain from posting to you.

Why your posts show how utterly stupid you are.

The line that you take issue with is in quotations with the footnote at the end of it.
It was B.Y.'s quote and then you get all in huff because it contradicts B.Y. in another location where it says throat must be slit.

SO I say who cares because they are both B.Y.s quotes and either way both are not Christian.

Then you go off like a firecracker claiming I made a contradiction whey you apparently are too stupid to realize its your OWN prophet B.Y. who is in contradiction.

Bye bye dumb dumb.

Marysville, CA

#20546 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
...debate coward...
Oh, now that hurt. LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Thu James Dorsey 68
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Wed Tony 50
News Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Feb 2 Honey 227
Disappearing Attorney Jan 31 well heck 2
News Man arrested, charged with kidnapping woman for... Oct '15 Tiffany Watson 1
Warren Jeffs is an abuser of the beautiful girls. (Aug '15) Aug '15 Mary Jesus 1
Get out of the order!!!! (Aug '15) Aug '15 PA legal guy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Salt Lake Mortgages