Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 31,993

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Read more
MUSA

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#19771 Jan 19, 2013

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#19772 Jan 19, 2013
jjepsen wrote...
Correct! To be a Christian one must follow the doctines of Christianity. Christianity follows the doctrine that 1. Jesus Christ IS God (see John 1:1 & 1:14) he was not created by God.
Question: If God is Jesus and Jesus is God how is it Jesus calls himself God the Father? How is it God calls himself his own son? In the garden prior to his death, why did Jesus pray to himself and ask himself to let this cup pass before himself? Why did God feel the need to give himself three personalities? What was the purpose of doing that? Why didn't God just be God? He has the power to be a single being. Why not be just a single being called God? He could have did everything as a single being then manifesting himself as three personalities.
2. God always existed, he was not a imperfect man exhalted to perfection.
Question: You do know that the LDS don't teach God the Father was an imperfect man? That is your incorrect interpretation of what they teach. Jesus has never been an imperfect spirit/man. Neither has God the Father been an imperfect spirit/man. You should read that doctrine a bit better. LDS doctrine/teachings claim Jesus and God the Father experienced life as we have, but they did it with perfection, not imperfection.
3.There is only 1 God, there never was a God before nor will there be one after (see Isaiah & Revelations)
Question: You know that's a matter of opinion/interpretation? You realize before the word "Christian" came along, the Israelites believed in a single God that didn't have two extra personalities? You realize that the God that gave the Israelites their information concerning himself, a single God without three personalities, Christians claim the Israelites were wrong. Christians claim God had two extra personalities. The Israelites/Jews support no such belief.
These and many other Christian doctrines are in direct conflict with Mormon doctine and teachings, therefore, Mormons cannot say they are "Christians"when they clearly do not follow doctrine of Christianity. This is not a anit-mormon statement but a statement of fact.
Question: You realize that modern Christian interpretation of God is in total contradiction to the Israelite interpretation of God? You realize that the Israelites knew God and received the word of God for about 4000 Bible years and, Jews converted to the gospel of Jesus taking the name Christians, they got to know him for less then an average life time? So who's information of what God is would be more reliable? 4000 years worth of information or less then 40 years worth of information?

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19779 Jan 22, 2013
LDS Mormon cult part 1
This is a good explanation.
(next post)

Location hidden

#19780 Jan 22, 2013

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19782 Jan 22, 2013
jjepsen wrote:
<quoted text> Correct! To be a Christian one must follow the doctines of Christianity. Christianity follows the doctrine that 1. Jesus Christ IS God (see John 1:1 & 1:14) he was not created by God. 2. God always existed, he was not a imperfect man exhalted to perfection. 3.There is only 1 God, there never was a God before nor will there be one after (see Isaiah & Revelations) These and many other Christian doctrines are in direct conflict with Mormon doctine and teachings, therefore, Mormons cannot say they are "Christians"when they clearly do not follow doctrine of Christianity. This is not a anit-mormon statement but a statement of fact.
If God and Jesus are the same then why are there so many instances in the bible of Jesus the son, talking with God his father. They are 2 seperate beings of the same Godhead. Jesus cried to his father to remove this cup if it were his will. God sacrificed his only begotten (Jesus) for mine and your sins. Which is consistent with christianity.My father passed away 2 weeks ago, and he was not a fan of organized religion.He considered his relationship with Christ private. He loved others, was charitable, kind. He never sought recognition for his good deeds. He did out of love. Mormon or not, he is now in heaven. Tell me again how just because I'm Mormon im not christian. I believe in Christ, repentance, forgiveness and doing good by my fellow man.

Location hidden

#19783 Jan 22, 2013
That last link I posted exposes some of the Bible verses changed by Joseph Smith and proves he didnít know the Bible very well. Itís just 10 mins. long.

Location hidden

#19784 Jan 22, 2013
The Lost Book of Abraham
@ 6 mins - instead of being inspired by God, like the books of the Bible were, Joseph Smith got the lost scrolls from a traveling thief and con man. They were very expensive, instead of being given freely to the world, as the books of the Bible were.

@ 24-30, 35-39, 43-44 mins.- itís pointed out that people are supposed to believe that a book written by Abraham was entirely lost by the Israelites and preserved by unbelieving Egyptians, embalmed in a priestís catacomb (a Godless man).

Also, proof that 3 illustrations copied by Joseph Smith were copied from the ĎBook of the Deadí and were copied from illustrations of an Egyptian god, a god of the underworld, and one that Smith claimed was Abraham lecturing on astronomy(?) Really?

@45-55 - different conclusions from Mormons.
(next post)

Location hidden

#19789 Jan 24, 2013
From the beginning, we see that Mormon leaders are actively involved in creating more fraudulent documents to cover up the lies told by Joseph Smith and others. ThatĎs the problem with religions ĎinspiredĎ by men
That means that those leaders KNOW THAT MORMONISM IS A FAKE and are deliberately scamming millions of people -- for money.

Also, when you compare the kind of person Joseph Smith was, compared to the Apostles, you have to ask why God would use an unrepentant criminal who never changed his ways, and was continuing to lie to the very end.
They say the plates were returned to the angel Moroni, but we still have the Dead Sea Scrolls because true Christianity is not a false religion built on lies, that canít stand up to examination.
If itís not from God, it can only be inspired by Satan.
(next post)

Location hidden

#19790 Jan 24, 2013

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19794 Jan 24, 2013
Protester wrote:
Also, proof that 3 illustrations copied by Joseph Smith were copied from the ĎBook of the Deadí and were copied from illustrations of an Egyptian god, a god of the underworld, and one that Smith claimed was Abraham lecturing on astronomy(?) Really?
@45-55 - different conclusions from Mormons.
(next post)
I have a question. Which copy of the "Book of the Dead" are you claiming Smith had access to in 1835 in which he looked through and copied these three illustrations that he claimed came from scrolls he bought from a guy selling mummies?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19795 Jan 24, 2013
Protester wrote:
They say the plates were returned to the angel Moroni, but we still have the Dead Sea Scrolls because true Christianity is not a false religion built on lies, that canít stand up to examination.
If itís not from God, it can only be inspired by Satan.
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)

Location hidden

#19796 Jan 25, 2013
I'm an Ex-Mormon
(next post)

Location hidden

#19797 Jan 25, 2013

Location hidden

#19798 Jan 25, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a question. Which copy of the "Book of the Dead" are you claiming Smith had access to in 1835 in which he looked through and copied these three illustrations that he claimed came from scrolls he bought from a guy selling mummies?
Why didn't you check out the link?

Location hidden

#19799 Jan 25, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)
Your statement that religions, Jesus as God, etc. ALL being a matter of opinion is ridiculous. It also means that no religion is legitimate.
The reality is that only the one true faith can be proven right, and all others can be proven to be frauds.
The fact is that Mormonism is such an outrageous fraud that those who follow it WANT TO BE DECEIVED, either by accepting the lies and making stuff up or by being too gutless to check out the links and face reality.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19804 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement that religions, Jesus as God, etc. ALL being a matter of opinion is ridiculous. It also means that no religion is legitimate.
The reality is that only the one true faith can be proven right, and all others can be proven to be frauds.
The fact is that Mormonism is such an outrageous fraud that those who follow it WANT TO BE DECEIVED, either by accepting the lies and making stuff up or by being too gutless to check out the links and face reality.
So what do you believe?
The Watcher

Clearlake, CA

#19805 Jan 26, 2013
Since Joseph Smith set himself above Jesus and the prophets, doesn't this mean the Later Day Saints are Smithists, not Christians?

" Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam.

A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet."

from History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409

I would think that a man who boasts that he is greater than all those who have came before him should have his cult named after himself, not someone for whom he has nothing but contempt!

To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19807 Jan 26, 2013
The Watcher wrote:
Since Joseph Smith set himself above Jesus and the prophets, doesn't this mean the Later Day Saints are Smithists, not Christians?
I would think that a man who boasts that he is greater than all those who have came before him should have his cult named after himself, not someone for whom he has nothing but contempt!
To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy!
Your logic doesn't even make sense. You justify your logic with ramblings not even reading what his words meant. You obviously do not know the teachings of the Church. If your going to quote something and make such ramblings.... you should study and research what your talking about.

The name of the Church it's self is... "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

It is not Joseph Smith's Church... It is the Lords Church... how you try to mince and chop words into pieces to serve your cause is a waste.

Joseph Smith indeed did not do what Jesus Christ did... and Jesus Christ did not do what Joseph Smith did. That's what was said if you put any thought into it at all. The 2 had 2 different purposes. Just like you and I have 2 different purposes.

There are many in this world that set out to do nothing more than establish doubt and they only seek to set fires and doubts and causing drama.

Food for thought: What is YOUR purpose?

How does your quote imply establishment of a cult or your over the top attempt at trying to be clever by your quote "To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy" make sense?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19808 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C riticism_of_The_Church_of_Jesu s_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
Wikipedia is not a valid source. Anyone can edit the context of the pages on Wikipedia therefore it may not establish anything other than opinions.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19809 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RU721E0IJRIXX&feature=rel ated
You turn to YOUTUBE for valid answers... to sway others about what a cult is... lol. WOW!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Google Fiber to reach Salt Lake City 23 hr Robert Christopulos 1
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Mar 22 Waymogv001010 12
stupid utah drivers (Feb '08) Mar 18 Bullrider Class O... 115
News Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker to oversee na... Nov '14 Ace McMillan 2
News Fake Cops Execute a Very Illegal Search and Sei... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Judy 1
News Police Arrest Prime Suspect in 3 Armed West Jor... (Sep '09) Jan '14 terrill 11
nudism and in salt lake city, UT (Oct '13) Oct '13 freecowboy87 1
South Salt Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

South Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]