Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,004

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#19269 Dec 8, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that you claim to support gay rights, while the leaders of your church send out their official spokesmen to condemn gays to death:
http://www.change.org/petitions/salvation-arm...
Nope. No conflict there.
Major Craibe sounds like a lot of Islamic Clerics:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11635...
Nope, no conflict, because I'm not here saying the Army isn't homophobic. I'm not claiming it's "the only true church." I'm not blind to it's problems, like you are to Mormonism.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#19270 Dec 8, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
This one....u know, the one with a profit and his quorum of lizards.
http://www.mormonsandgays.org/
Nah. Never heard of it.

Location hidden

#19271 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, no conflict, because I'm not here saying the Army isn't homophobic. I'm not claiming it's "the only true church." I'm not blind to it's problems, like you are to Mormonism.
You are the one who works for the Salvation Army. You know, the church where they say gays deserve death?

What rank do you hold?

As for the LDS Church, I don't "claim" it to be the "only true church"...I know it for fact.

www.lds.org

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#19272 Dec 8, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who works for the Salvation Army. You know, the church where they say gays deserve death?
What rank do you hold?
As for the LDS Church, I don't "claim" it to be the "only true church"...I know it for fact.
www.lds.org
So, u now agree with your lizard leaders that being gay isn't a choice? I bet BKP has his depends in a twist over this!

Location hidden

#19273 Dec 8, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, u now agree with your lizard leaders that being gay isn't a choice? I bet BKP has his depends in a twist over this!
Don't know 'em. Friends of yours?

Location hidden

#19274 Dec 8, 2012
Wisdom wrote:
<quoted text>All any of you Mormons need to do is name ONE false prophet of any cult at any time in history that did NOT have these four things in common.
1. Man said he is God or has a new message from God.
2. Same man always makes himself the leader.
3. The leader always isolates his followers from the outside world.
4. There is always some type of sexual perversion.
Say what?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19275 Dec 8, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>..so when it's legal for to be gay, are u going to hug the closet and refer to evergreen?? Clinging to that hate makes u sooo bitter. Be happy, u can be free soon !
You're fuelled by so much hate and animosity that I find it incredible those traits haven't caused you to break the law or commit suicide.
By the way, at present for the past several years I have been enjoying celibacy. Quite nice actually. So I have my happiness established already thank you :)

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19276 Dec 8, 2012
Wisdom wrote:
<quoted text>All any of you Mormons need to do is name ONE false prophet of any cult at any time in history that did NOT have these four things in common.
1. Man said he is God or has a new message from God.
2. Same man always makes himself the leader.
3. The leader always isolates his followers from the outside world.
4. There is always some type of sexual perversion.
My only question to you is this. I worship.my heavenly father. I was given salvation through Jesus Christ. Just as we all have. I teach my children to worship the same as me. Teach them right from wrong. No matter how I accomplish this or how I choose to live my life that doesn't change. So how exactly does me being Mormon change that???
No.matter my religion, blood was shed on the cross for me just as it was for you.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19277 Dec 8, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute.. The hate u spew in the name of exgayness makes me feel sorry for u.
Are you high? Drunk? On medication? It would explain you thinking I spew the hate and rage and vile speech that are a daily common part of your own being, especially in these threads where you wear that hate and rage like a badge of honour or what ever.
Turn your sorrow for yourself, you need it worse then I'll ever need it.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19278 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you need to learn how to read. I fight Mormonism, not Mormons. It['s funny that the best representatives of the Mormon church that can be found here are both jack Mormons who are the bottom of the barrel in the eyes of the church.
Pathetic.
Liar...lol. You better go back and read what you say to people claiming to be Mormons in this thread. You fight with them and against them concerning their beliefs. You still use vile and derogatory remarks as part of your "missionary" language to prove you're fighting against them, not explaining anything ton them. There is a difference you know :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19279 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a drama queen, aren't you? I'm the same as the Jews going after Jesus? Do you see me calling for the death of Mormons here? I don't advocate violence, I don't even want to pass laws to outlaw Mormonism, but I'm on the same level as those in the past who have killed, murdered, and raped. You'll get over it baby. You are total wussies. LOL!
You know that post only made sense to you correct? And apparently you have forgotten the malevolent remarks you made of Smith and other Mormons in dozens of pages past? The remarks of how much you hated and detested him, that he should have been strung up etc? And you don't advocate violence?
Let's go over this simple fact for you. Hate speech is a form of violence, mental violence in this case. And all the hate speech you typed out for Smith and other leaders for pages past advocated violence from yourself for them of who you spoke of.
And if a law were being put to the public vote to outlaw Mormonism, you'd be the first in line to make a vote liar, so don't say you wouldn't want laws to be passed to outlaw Mormonism. You have a malevolent hated that runs deep and black in your soul for all things Mormon. At least be truthful as you have wrote it.
What didn't you understand of what I said? Your a mirror image of the Jews that wanted Jesus imprisoned and or dead. If you had been one of the adult males alive in June of 1844 with your present mental violent hatred for Smith, crazy with mob mentality on June 27th, you would have been at the front of that pack in that jail with a pistol to kill Smith. And you would have felt justified to have shot anyone in that jail cell because of the hate and rage you carry for Smith.
You have not a clue of the filthy disgusting vile violence you have spewed for a guy you never knew and have judged as if you knew him intimately from personal experiences.
Justify your hate and rage for all things Mormon as you do but one day you'll have to justify those thoughts and feelings to your maker.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19280 Dec 8, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
They have said being gay is a choice. You reversed what they said, not them.
By the way, having an attraction to one or both sexes isn't a choice. But acting on that attraction as one matures, that's a choice no matter what your sexual orientation is. Get it yet?

Location hidden

#19281 Dec 8, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>They have said being gay is a choice. You reversed what they said, not them.
By the way, having an attraction to one or both sexes isn't a choice. But acting on that attraction as one matures, that's a choice no matter what your sexual orientation is. Get it yet?
Re-read their statement...u wasted all that effort, all those long years.. for nothing. After being kicked out, u still cling to the shame..it's really sad. They really brainwashed u into hating yourself right into the closet. A therapist would be very beneficial.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19282 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not hardly. Perhaps one of the most damaging evidences that Joseph Smith did not see the Father and the Son in 1820, to those who believe in the restoration of the Priesthood, is the fact that in the year 1832 Joseph Smith claimed to have a revelation which stated that a man could not see God without the Priesthood. This revelation is published as Section 84 of the Doctrine and Covenants. In verses 21-22 we read:
"And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
"For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live."
You are misinterpreting the verse. The word "this" in verse 22 refers to "the power of godliness", not the Melchizedek Priesthood. The Lord explains in Doctrine and Covenants 67:11 that "no man has seen God at any time in the flesh, except quickened by the Spirit of God." Spirit of God being the power of godliness manifest.

The power of God was manifest when Joseph Smith was transfigured during the First Vision. Orson Pratt's 1840 account states that the pillar of fire or light "continued descending slowly, until it rested upon the earth, and [Joseph Smith]was enveloped in the midst of it."

Location hidden

#19283 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Bible say? The required baptism for salvation is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is never said to be required for your salvation.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.(John 3:3-5)

Note: WATER and of the Spirit

We follow what the ancient Christians taught and believed. Justin Martyr (100-165 A.D) said:
For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, "Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."
( Irenaeus, Ante-Nicene Fathers, edited by Philip Schaff (Christian Literature Publishing Co., 1886)1:574

Irenaeus wrote:
‘And dipped himself,’ says [the Scripture], "seven times in Jordan." It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [it served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared:‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."
(Clementine Homilies, 11:25–26. In Ante-Nicean Fathers 8:223–347)

The Apostolic Constitutions says
Nay, he that, out of contempt, will not be baptized, shall be condemned as an unbeliever, and shall be reproached as ungrateful and foolish. For the Lord says: "Except a man be baptized of water and of the Spirit, he shall by no means enter into the kingdom of heaven." And again: "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
(Apostolic Constitutions, 6:15 Ante-Nicene Fathers, edited by Philip Schaff (Christian Literature Publishing Co., 1886)7:456–457)

Location hidden

#19284 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
James B. Allen, who now serves as assistant church historian, frankly admitted that the story of the first vision "was not given general circulation in the 1830's." (Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Autumn 1966, p. 33). Dr. Allen makes some startling concessions in this article. He admits, for instance, that "none of the available contemporary writings about Joseph Smith in the 1830's, none of the publications of the Church in that decade, and no contemporary journal or correspondence yet discovered mentions the story of the first vision...." Dr. Allen goes on to state that in the 1830's "the general membership of the Church knew little, if anything, about it."
My reference reads more like this:
"The fact that none of the available contemporary writings about Joseph Smith in the 1830s, none of the publications of the Church in that decade, and no contemporary journal or correspondence yet discovered mentions the story of the first vision is convincing evidence that at best it received only limited circulation in those early days."

Eye witnesses to LDS missionaries in a 14 Feb 1831 newspaper would tell you that the missionaries made no secret that Joseph Smith shared the first vision.

See:“Book of Mormon,” The Reflector (Palmyra, New York) 2, no. 13 (14 February 1831): 102

Location hidden

#19285 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Bible say? The required baptism for salvation is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is never said to be required for your salvation. And we have proof of someone who was saved without water baptism in the Bible. It was the thief on the cross. Because he believed in Jesus Christ, Christ told him that he would be with him in Paradise that day. No stipulations were put on it. He didn't tell him that if he could get off the cross and go get baptist, he would be with him in Paradise that day. And he didn't tell him that after someone did his work for the dead, he would be in Paradise with him. He said he was going to be with him THAT day. Paradise is the place where the righteous dead wait for the resurrection. They are the saved.
<quoted text>
According to the Bible, yes. Paul taught:“ The laborer is worthy of his wages.” Jesus got paid for delivering his messages. Where do you think he got the money to survive and eat? Donations from the people he was preaching too. And if getting money is a sin for teaching God's word, why are the Apostles and Prophet of the LDS church receiving money for being such?
<quoted text>
Every church that teaches salvation through the grace of Jesus Christ is 100% correct. They differ on matters that have nothing to do with salvation. Your putting your eyes on man made organizations, not Jesus Christ. Churches don't save, only Christ does.
What about churches that say certain sacraments or rights are required for salvation as well? What about other churches that give a list of requirements to be saved or specify a specific process required for salvation? Are they correct?

Location hidden

#19286 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 3 personages, one being. Stephen saw Jesus standing to the right of the Father's glory. He doesn't say that glory was man shaped.
If God made man in His image, then I think we can assume that God is man shaped. Jesus had to be standing to the right of something. That God was seen as standing separate from Jesus in the vision should be convincing enough, no matter what shape he took.

If Stephen saw them distinctly, then I think its safe to assume that they are distinct or separate beings.

Location hidden

#19287 Dec 8, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't believe in temple work for the dead? Because that is what you are doing when you do that. You are trying to do something to earn another persons salvation. You are denying the grace of Jesus Christ.
God is gracious. He has provided a way for ALL to be saved. I didn't provide that way, neither did any of us. It is by God's grace that he created a perfect plan that encompasses all of us.

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19289 Dec 9, 2012
Their 'god' also changed his mind about polygamy when threatened by the government too.
Their 'god' seems to be a coward, subservient to our government.
Mormons are morons, without a bit of common sense.
It couldn't be more obvious that their 'god' is a MAN-MADE GOD, one that CHANGES HIS MIND, that CONTRADICTS HIMSELF, that has to have THINGS HIDDEN because evidence proves he DOESN'T EXIST.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 25 min piratefighting 27,049
(Mrs.) Marie Osmond 22 hr Call me JC - really 2
female snapchst users. Sat xragnerosx 1
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude Fri Sneaky Pete 9
last post wins! (Jul '11) Dec 18 Concerned_American 351
Utah Ophthalmologists Improve Vision During Cat... (Nov '13) Dec 16 Pavlos Lombardi 3
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Dec 12 Tagumpay 217

Avalanche Warning for Salt Lake County was issued at December 21 at 5:17AM MST

South Salt Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

South Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Salt Lake News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Salt Lake

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News