Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32097 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29589 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
What did you find 'very interesting'? I was let down that the researchers didn't state sources from the church for a better percentage of how many RM there are compared to how many ERM there are. Neither did they give percentages in categories for why they returned early which I wanted to know more about. And as a commenter noted, they didn't give stats for comparisons between RM's and ERM's who may have became inactive, stayed active, etc.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Doylestown, PA

#29590 Nov 21, 2013
For the best explanation of the mormon cult go to the South Park website and type in 'mormons' in the search bar! Anyone that believes that crap is not playing with a full deck!!

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29591 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand from people who live in Vegas they didn't even stop temple work for one day after this.
The papers stated they stopped the evening services. They state the church began normal operations the next day. You find that odd? People kill themselves in businesses and where people pay and work and eat all the time and those places are open for business the next day. So you hold Mormons to a higher standard than non-Mormons doing the same?
Let's go at it this way. If you arrived at work where you get paid to serve the homeless, if an hour into your work a homeless person offs himself in the building would the Salvation Army shut all operations down for a day or two days?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#29592 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
He went out of his way to kill himself at the temple. Clearly wanting to make a statement with his death about the Mormon church.
Trying to get nearer to God.

You can make it anything you want to make it. You have no idea why he went there except for your speculations.

Location hidden

#29593 Nov 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>Trying to get nearer to God.

You can make it anything you want to make it. You have no idea why he went there except for your speculations.
By shooting himself in front of his ward members??

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#29594 Nov 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Make it whatever you want to make it NoMo. You are a great performer with all the twisting you have going on.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29596 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
That he did what? That God changed a person's natural skin color to a different color? Because you said and that other poster stated God would never change a person's skin color through a curse. You two stated that over and over and over. I asked how you two knew that and you two had no answer. I said for the sake of the argument that God could do anything he wanted because he was God. I stated for the sake of the argument that God could curse someone with a different skin color if he wanted to. I had no evidence at that time for it. But you said God couldn't wouldn't do it and I said God could and would do anything he wanted.
That would be an ignorant argument. Just because he could, doesn't mean he did, and the burden of proof is on you if you are going to defend it. He could make cows fly,but there is no evidence of that ever happening either. God has never punished a whole race of people by changing their skin color.
Than I found the guy who had his skin color changed by a curse by God himself. And you and the other poster went nuts with denial in spite of the Bible fact it stated God did curse a man with a different skin color as a curse.
The different skin color wasn't a curse. The disease was the curse, the color change a result of the disease. Being black isn't a disease. In Mormonism the skin color is the curse. Big difference.
You two thought it proved in my mind Cain was cursed with black skin. I never said any such thing.
It was the implication by bringing this up in a discussion on this subject. Don't be a child.
The LDS church did and does teach the curse of Cain was a dark skin color. That's true. But I never said I believed it.
By defending the teaching, you show approval and agreement.
I did explain how they believed what was written. I described how some Jews and Christians had believed in that curse for well over a thousand years beginning with the Spanish. Both the other poster and my self found material dating back 1800 years of people thinking the mark was a dark skin.
Again, my argument with you wasn't of Cain's curse. My argument with you was to show you God could do anything he wanted to, including cursing someone with a different skin color and I proved it through the Bible.
You proved nothing but a desperate need to defend all things LDS. What the Spanish or Jews or early Christians believe has no bearing on the topic except they were wrong also. You have no examples of skin color being the curse from God in the Bible.

Marysville, CA

#29597 Nov 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to get nearer to God.
As suicide is a very major sin in Mormonism, doing it and getting closer to God would be a contradiction of major proportions. The actions speak for themselves. He didn't do it out of love for his faith.

Marysville, CA

#29598 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The papers stated they stopped the evening services. They state the church began normal operations the next day. You find that odd? People kill themselves in businesses and where people pay and work and eat all the time and those places are open for business the next day. So you hold Mormons to a higher standard than non-Mormons doing the same?
Let's go at it this way. If you arrived at work where you get paid to serve the homeless, if an hour into your work a homeless person offs himself in the building would the Salvation Army shut all operations down for a day or two days?
There is a good chance they would. They would hold services for the man.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29599 Nov 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't shoot himself in front of his ward members. Did you read the news accounts that gleaned info from police reports?
The boy suffered from depression for many years or from childhood as happens with people suffering from depression, you can identify correct ;P
The parents called the police and told them they thought he was on his way to a specific temple to shoot himself. So reading that you stop and consider that info. The parents knew he had left home to shoot himself at a specific temple. That means they knew he had a gun and something, a suicide letter from the boy or another source told the parents AFTER the boy had left home he was going to commit suicide. They called the police. The police headed for that temple and I'll guess the parents were headed there to. But to late as the boy got there and took his life.
Since he was a Mormon, this scenario would SUGGEST he choose the temple to kill himself because A. he wanted to make a protest against the church or B. he wanted to take his life on what he considered holy ground, a temple.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29600 Nov 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
NO I am not kidding. If you think about the timeline of slavery and the timeline of the Church beginning...
You figure it out.
For the life of me, I can't figure this out on my own. Would you explain it to me?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29601 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to ask? You have never noted that you, dana and nomo all demand answers to questions quite often but, when asked questions you three rarely if ever answer them? That par for the course of hypocrisy you three bleed in here that you'll turn about and whine that others do it and it's not right. Get it?
But notice I do ask questions. The only question you have ever asked me started with, "I will pretend to believe you..." and then go on to ask if I'm "Indian", which has already been covered. You ask me what I am, not what I think, as if you are looking for which column you can drop me in. Point being you don't ask questions you only defend Mormon doctrine. Apparently you seem to think you have everything figured out and have no need to hear anything new. Ask me a legitimate question, I'll tell you what I think.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29602 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be an ignorant argument. Just because he could, doesn't mean he did, and the burden of proof is on you if you are going to defend it.
That's your ignorant remark that God could do anything JUST BECAUSE HE COULD. I never said any such remark using the word "because". So here's proof fact of you twisting what I said. When will you stop?
I said that God could do anything he wanted to concerning curses FOR ANY REASON HE SAW FIT. I never said God would or could curse anyone just BECAUSE he could because he was bored, etc. That's your statement not mine. Comprehension problems again?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29603 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing me to him? Pleaseeee....lol. You're a match for his personality. He murdered people physically. You did/do it mentally. He was a racist. You were a racist. He gave up being a racist. You gave up being a racist. he became a Bible thumper. You became a Bible thumper. He had dad issues. You had dad issues. He had mom issues. You had mom issues. Need I keep going? Think before you speak is an actual good policy dude, just saying.
Now Surprise, pay attention, cuz I'm going to throw you a bone here...this is one of your best posts. Even though it is meant to insult and ridicule, and I don't even know if it's true, it does show some cleverness and it doesn't go on forever. Good job.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29604 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't shoot himself in front of his ward members. Did you read the news accounts that gleaned info from police reports?
The boy suffered from depression for many years or from childhood as happens with people suffering from depression, you can identify correct ;P
The parents called the police and told them they thought he was on his way to a specific temple to shoot himself. So reading that you stop and consider that info. The parents knew he had left home to shoot himself at a specific temple. That means they knew he had a gun and something, a suicide letter from the boy or another source told the parents AFTER the boy had left home he was going to commit suicide. They called the police. The police headed for that temple and I'll guess the parents were headed there to. But to late as the boy got there and took his life.
Since he was a Mormon, this scenario would SUGGEST he choose the temple to kill himself because A. he wanted to make a protest against the church or B. he wanted to take his life on what he considered holy ground, a temple.
That "holy ground" is in a really yucky part of town. Just a little local info.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29605 Nov 21, 2013
Aw come on Surprise, instead of judging my post as clueless, just explain it to me since Mouse isn't here.

Location hidden

#29606 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't shoot himself in front of his ward members. Did you read the news accounts that gleaned info from police reports?
Google it..search reddit..his ward was there. The answer is A.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29607 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
The different skin color wasn't a curse. The disease was the curse, the color change a result of the disease.
The above statement is proof why you suffer with reading comprehension.
2 Kings 5:27
Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever.” Then Gehazi went from Elisha’s presence and his skin was leprous—it had become as white as snow.
Leprosy in this verse is used as a SKIN DISEASE CURSE that changed Gehazi's skin color from dark or tan to being white as snow. That was the curse in two parts. Leprosy usually leaves a person with their normal skin color. If you have doubts, google/bing images of leprosy.
The Bible fact remains that for a curse, he used a disease that would change a man's skin color and the skin color of all his descendents. God changed a man's skin color with a disease. Read it and understand it.
If this verse just stated Gehazi was cursed with leprosy and all his descendents were cursed with leprosy your point would be valid. But that's not how the story goes is it.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29608 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
By defending the teaching, you show approval and agreement.
Are you fricking serious??? Twice on one page you purposefully twist what I said...lol...speaking of child intellects. I explained the Mormon doctrine to you and that other poster. I revealed information neither of you knew about Mormon doctrine and the curse of Cain. And never once did I ever defend it. I explained it over and over because you were too stupid to understand it from a point of intelligence. All you could do as you still do is scream racist this and racist that! You still haven't read the actual information on this topic. If you had, you would understand this doctrine is far beyond the word racist. It was a policy of discrimination, not racism. If it was about racism no black person would have even been admitted as a member ever. You were a racist so you know that's true. But discrimination is where one is accepting of another but to certain degrees. And you're such a retard you won't acknowledge that difference existed in that policy.
I know you're intelligent but it really stymies me why you write like such a retard in spite of obvious existing information you purposefully ignore.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29609 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you fricking serious??? Twice on one page you purposefully twist what I said...lol...speaking of child intellects. I explained the Mormon doctrine to you and that other poster. I revealed information neither of you knew about Mormon doctrine and the curse of Cain. And never once did I ever defend it. I explained it over and over because you were too stupid to understand it from a point of intelligence. All you could do as you still do is scream racist this and racist that! You still haven't read the actual information on this topic. If you had, you would understand this doctrine is far beyond the word racist. It was a policy of discrimination, not racism. If it was about racism no black person would have even been admitted as a member ever. You were a racist so you know that's true. But discrimination is where one is accepting of another but to certain degrees. And you're such a retard you won't acknowledge that difference existed in that policy.
I know you're intelligent but it really stymies me why you write like such a retard in spite of obvious existing information you purposefully ignore.
So it's discrimination based on racism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) 23 hr ladydtoosweet 114
I was a visitor Fri visitor 1
Prostitutes In Valley Fair Mall.. (Oct '08) Fri putz pence AWOL 56
Jason chaffetz leaving congress Fri LAVON AFFAIR 3
News These Are the Wealthiest Small Towns in America Fri srhino 2
The Many God's of Mormonism Apr 27 Christian 3
Apartments that forbid pitbulls in So SLC (May '16) Jun '16 ThomasA 4

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance