Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments
27,661 - 27,680 of 32,001 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 25

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>Again... He is doing nothing different than "you," or others have done/do here. You create diversions, avoid questions, ridicule, mock, etc., etc., etc... All to avoid having a discussion about anything other than what you think is right and pushing your beliefs on others. So quit acting as if you're so innocent and desiring open discussion. You're NOT fooling anyone.
If the church wasn't true, would you want to know?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop, you are so wrong and so pathetic about ever admitting it..
I saw what you were saying about Curtis and sent him the link. You need to get a life. The one you are currently living is making you crazy.
lol....you're a fricking mental case!!! If the real Penfold comes to this thread he would address certain things the impostor won't address. Like this lie the imposter wrote... "Curtis Penfold wrote:
I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer."
Penfold was never a full faith true blue Mormon at BYU. In his freshmen year at BYU he was into the occult and practicing certain things of the occult that a bishop would have warned him to stop. If he didn't stop by admittance, he would have been disfellowshipped till he decided to worship Christ only and not other deities.
I know your lack of understanding certain things of Mormonism leaves you lacking understanding. But go ask a bishop or elder you know. Go ask an active Mormon woman if playing around with the occult while being an active Mormon is an acceptable thing to be doing. Ask what a bishop would do if a person tells a bishop that they won't stop playing with the occult while being an active member.
Penfold was an occultist before his mission, during his mission I would bet he'd admit and an occultist after release of his mission because he saw nothing wrong with mixing Mormonism and occult practices. He called himself a Mormon Universalist.
Read and get educated. Please?

Since: Sep 12

Reeds Spring, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>If the church wasn't true, would you want to know?
Why? Because YOU say it isn't??? Truthfully, you really don't care if it is, or isn't. Bottom line, you hate the Church because it's against the things you stand for as a Liberal. And you'll do whatever you can to try and destroy it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>lol....you're a fricking mental case!!! If the real Penfold comes to this thread he would address certain things the impostor won't address. Like this lie the imposter wrote... "Curtis Penfold wrote:
I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer."
Penfold was never a full faith true blue Mormon at BYU. In his freshmen year at BYU he was into the occult and practicing certain things of the occult that a bishop would have warned him to stop. If he didn't stop by admittance, he would have been disfellowshipped till he decided to worship Christ only and not other deities.
I know your lack of understanding certain things of Mormonism leaves you lacking understanding. But go ask a bishop or elder you know. Go ask an active Mormon woman if playing around with the occult while being an active Mormon is an acceptable thing to be doing. Ask what a bishop would do if a person tells a bishop that they won't stop playing with the occult while being an active member.
Penfold was an occultist before his mission, during his mission I would bet he'd admit and an occultist after release of his mission because he saw nothing wrong with mixing Mormonism and occult practices. He called himself a Mormon Universalist.
Psycho.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
If the church wasn't true, would you want to know?
Man....this is where your ignorance is so based on assumptions it stinks through the screen. Penfold NEVER said the Mormon church wasn't true. You assume that and as usual have made an ass of yourself. Penfold quit the church because he had differences with it's practices and rules and traditions. He's a strong feminist believer.

Below was a declaration Penfold made on his FB profile on Nov 5th 2013.
"Curtis Penfold
November 5 near Provo, UT
A VARIETY OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED WHAT I BELIEVE AND I THOUGHT I'D SHARE FOR THOSE WHO WERE INTERESTED.(FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T, FORGIVE ME FOR MY NARCISSISTIC RAMBLINGS APPEARING ON YOUR WALL).

No, I don't believe there's a God. I don't believe in supernatural entities, in ghosts, in spirits, in energy. I try to remain open that these, like faeries, unicorns and aliens, may exist, but in the mean time, I will doubt their existence until given enough evidence to convince me otherwise.

Now observe the change of what he believes just two months later.

Please absorb the below. It was written on Jan 14th 2013 this year. TBM do not, true blue Mormons do not look for the truth in every path of spiritualism as Penfold admits to doing. And a TBM doesn't play in the occult. That would be akin to a true blue Jew playing in Christianity for more truths than the Torah gives. Simply not done.

"Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic."

Curtis Penfold
Citizen

Talking I'm back

So, I'm not new, but I haven't really hung out here for almost three years, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

My name's Curtis. I'm trying to study journalism at BYU in Utah. I joined this site a few years ago because I loved the symbolism of Tarot. I'm now just entering Tarot as an actual method for divining, and I've been enjoying the experience.

Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic. Some days, I believe in some kind of supernatural force, and other days I think it's all just in my head.

Regardless, I love anything spiritual.(Whether I think it exists outside of me or just inside of me, I love spirituality for the experience). I'm loving Tarot since it's helping me look at my life from a whole new perspective, and reading for my friends is just a fun experience for me.
Old 14-01-2013
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The real Penfold doesn't use "oh shucks" or "oh shoot" in his writings. I read dozens of his posts from 4 different sites. I read his FB comments. Never once in any post that I read from 2009 to 2013 did he use those phrases. You're an impostor and a liar.
And to be noted, there is no parallel between theatre and the occult. One involves actors pretending to be who they aren't. The other involves being who they are and worshipping one or more deities. And the real Penfold worships specific deity(s) without acting.
I'm flattered that your such a fan of my writings. But if you check some of my most recent facebook statuses, you'll find me discussing my relationship with the Occult as being similar to my relationship with art, poetry, and theatre.

Think about this for a second. I identify as atheist. And yet, I enjoy pagan and occult rituals and concepts. Why is that? I'm trying to explain it to you. But you keep accusing me of not being me, which is making things difficult. I suggest you read more of my writings so you can better understand how I use a psychological paradigm where all things "religious" or "spiritual" are simply methods to understand my own psyche better, and not to understand external, supernatural entities.

If you think I believe Santa Muerte or Kali are real beings that exist outside of myself, you are mistaken.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go... Christians believe God created the earth in 7 days.
The intelligent ones don't. God gave us a brain to use. Try it sometime.
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....you're a fricking mental case!!! If the real Penfold comes to this thread he would address certain things the impostor won't address. Like this lie the imposter wrote... "Curtis Penfold wrote:
Before my mission, the only spiritual experience I had outside of traditional Mormonism was going to a Hare Krishna temple and chanting the Hare Krishna chant at the Festival of Colors.

That was the first time I put into practice this concept I was playing with that all these different gods were manifestations of the One True God (which is what I believed at the time). I felt so good chanting the Hare Krishna, that I believed that Krishna was an aspect of God Himself. It was a very powerful moment for me.

But I repeat that I DID NOT PLAY WITH THE OCCULT BEFORE MY MISSION. I was interested in Tarot. I studied the symbolism of Tarot. But I did not READ Tarot, because I thought that me as a Mormon wasn't supposed to. You can ask my mom if you don't believe me. She was there when I ordered my first Tarot deck after the mission. Before then, I was just studying the symbolism of the Tarot through books and online. Also, there is a thread on that Tarot website that you've quoted me from where people get mad at me because I refused to read the Tarot, just to read about it.

I never lied to my bishop nor my stake president to go on a mission. Please stop accusing me of this. I was very open about my beliefs, my actions, and my distaste for our policy on homosexuality to my bishop and stake president. And they still let me go.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

<quoted text>Why? Because YOU say it isn't??? Truthfully, you really don't care if it is, or isn't. Bottom line, you hate the Church because it's against the things you stand for as a Liberal. And you'll do whatever you can to try and destroy it.
Yeah, I'm probably not the right person to help you with that..I was just curious
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Man....this is where your ignorance is so based on assumptions it stinks through the screen. Penfold NEVER said the Mormon church wasn't true. You assume that and as usual have made an ass of yourself. Penfold quit the church because he had differences with it's practices and rules and traditions. He's a strong feminist believer.
Below was a declaration Penfold made on his FB profile on Nov 5th 2013.
"Curtis Penfold
November 5 near Provo, UT
A VARIETY OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED WHAT I BELIEVE AND I THOUGHT I'D SHARE FOR THOSE WHO WERE INTERESTED.(FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T, FORGIVE ME FOR MY NARCISSISTIC RAMBLINGS APPEARING ON YOUR WALL).
No, I don't believe there's a God. I don't believe in supernatural entities, in ghosts, in spirits, in energy. I try to remain open that these, like faeries, unicorns and aliens, may exist, but in the mean time, I will doubt their existence until given enough evidence to convince me otherwise.
Now observe the change of what he believes just two months later.
Please absorb the below. It was written on Jan 14th 2013 this year. TBM do not, true blue Mormons do not look for the truth in every path of spiritualism as Penfold admits to doing. And a TBM doesn't play in the occult. That would be akin to a true blue Jew playing in Christianity for more truths than the Torah gives. Simply not done.
"Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic."
Curtis Penfold
Citizen
Talking I'm back
So, I'm not new, but I haven't really hung out here for almost three years, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.
My name's Curtis. I'm trying to study journalism at BYU in Utah. I joined this site a few years ago because I loved the symbolism of Tarot. I'm now just entering Tarot as an actual method for divining, and I've been enjoying the experience.
Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic. Some days, I believe in some kind of supernatural force, and other days I think it's all just in my head.
Regardless, I love anything spiritual.(Whether I think it exists outside of me or just inside of me, I love spirituality for the experience). I'm loving Tarot since it's helping me look at my life from a whole new perspective, and reading for my friends is just a fun experience for me.
Old 14-01-2013
Well as an atheist, I obviously don't believe the claims of the LDS Church are true.

You keep getting dates wrong. I wrote that facebook status November of THIS YEAR.

I wrote that status on that Tarot website January of this year. I identified as agnostic by that point. I was no longer a true blue Mormon. Not at all. I was much more open to experimenting with lots of things. You can see my doubts really settling in there right before I became full-out atheist. I'm already identifying as a skeptic, questioning the existence of a supernatural force. Within just a month, I would decide that I really didn't believe there was anything supernatural going on anywhere.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It's not always how I post. You don't like my posts when I'm reminding you that you're not posting as an adult or intelligently or as the Christian you claim to be, sometimes with sarcasm.
Most everyone addressed the imposter posing as Penfold as the real penfold. He's very interesting actually. The imposter screwed up in the first couple posts revealing to me they were an imposter. The real Penfold had been dabbling in the occult since high school in Illinois as far back as 2009, maybe earlier. His obsession with the occult continued almost up to the very month he went on a mission. His obsession with the occult began within the month after being returned from his mission.
Also, the only perversion happening here is when a self proclaimed Christian as yourself says some of the perverted things you think of to say.
Dana Robertson wrote:
Did you molest your sons this morning Carol?
Dana Robertson wrote:
She is 65 yr old trailer park trash from Colton Ca
Dana Robertson wrote:
Did you blow your sons today, trailer park trash?
Dana Robertson wrote:
What's wrong, Carol? Sons wouldn't give you any today? Time to go visit Mexico! LOL!!!
Dana Robertson wrote:
YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE TO YOU NEXT SHOW, ho!
Dana Robertson wrote:
When did your husband leave your fat ass?
Those are statements of a sorely perverted mentality of your so called Christian side. Any questions?
I said during the time your girlfriend was talking about how I like to lick shit on little boys dicks. Yet as usual, when it comes to Mormon perverts, you never get around to questioning their Christianity, from J Smith on. But you always like being the ass, so, be the ass. I don't care. You are so sick and demented there is little hope for you. I would love to know what is so screwed up about you that the LDS church won't even take you today, so that tells volumes about how "Christian" you are. You're just a waste of human flesh. Sick in the mind, sick in the soul, if you have one.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The real Penfold doesn't use "oh shucks" or "oh shoot" in his writings. I read dozens of his posts from 4 different sites. I read his FB comments. Never once in any post that I read from 2009 to 2013 did he use those phrases. You're an impostor and a liar.
And to be noted, there is no parallel between theatre and the occult. One involves actors pretending to be who they aren't. The other involves being who they are and worshipping one or more deities. And the real Penfold worships specific deity(s) without acting.
My, you are such an expert on someone you've never met before. Amazing! What color is his underwear? You are truly a freak. Becoming more and more like your perverted girlfriend Carol, here. You two should get a room.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

<quoted text>
So? Why do you even care what he looks like???
I don't. I enjoy him looking like a horses ass telling a man he knows more about him than he does. It's entertaining.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm flattered that your such a fan of my writings. But if you check some of my most recent facebook statuses, you'll find me discussing my relationship with the Occult as being similar to my relationship with art, poetry, and theatre.
Think about this for a second. I identify as atheist. And yet, I enjoy pagan and occult rituals and concepts. Why is that? I'm trying to explain it to you. But you keep accusing me of not being me, which is making things difficult. I suggest you read more of my writings so you can better understand how I use a psychological paradigm where all things "religious" or "spiritual" are simply methods to understand my own psyche better, and not to understand external, supernatural entities.
If you think I believe Santa Muerte or Kali are real beings that exist outside of myself, you are mistaken.
I'll give this a go. Let's see how you respond.
You stated the following earlier..." I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer." Can you explain an error in that statement? Also you did lie in that quote. What was the lie by your own admission you stated a year ago? Logically you can't be a true faithful member of the LDS faith and be active in the occult. You would be disfellowshipped if you didn't repent and quit your interest in it. Any bishop will back that up. How do you justify your claim of being a true blue Mormon while being involved in occult practices while on a mission and while going to BYU? I didn't read that BYU allowed occult as a religious belief to be practiced at their schools. Is that one of your rules as a student at BYU? to be a Mormon that practices the occult and BYU should let you?

Reeds Spring, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I'm probably not the right person to help you with that..I was just curious
See how you divert??? I didn't ask for your help. Nor would I. Ever. But thanks for helping to prove my point.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
Before my mission, the only spiritual experience I had outside of traditional Mormonism was going to a Hare Krishna temple and chanting the Hare Krishna chant at the Festival of Colors.
That was the first time I put into practice this concept I was playing with that all these different gods were manifestations of the One True God (which is what I believed at the time). I felt so good chanting the Hare Krishna, that I believed that Krishna was an aspect of God Himself. It was a very powerful moment for me.
But I repeat that I DID NOT PLAY WITH THE OCCULT BEFORE MY MISSION. I was interested in Tarot. I studied the symbolism of Tarot. But I did not READ Tarot, because I thought that me as a Mormon wasn't supposed to. You can ask my mom if you don't believe me. She was there when I ordered my first Tarot deck after the mission. Before then, I was just studying the symbolism of the Tarot through books and online. Also, there is a thread on that Tarot website that you've quoted me from where people get mad at me because I refused to read the Tarot, just to read about it.
I never lied to my bishop nor my stake president to go on a mission. Please stop accusing me of this. I was very open about my beliefs, my actions, and my distaste for our policy on homosexuality to my bishop and stake president. And they still let me go.
Curtis, the mistake you keep making is that you think you're replying to someone who is intelligent and really cares about the truth. No Surprise does not when it comes to the topic of Mormonism at all. His brain is so pickled by the LDS church he'll rationalize my sickness or perversion it preaches. Any and all morality goes out the door, along with any honesty.
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give this a go. Let's see how you respond.
You stated the following earlier..." I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer." Can you explain an error in that statement? Also you did lie in that quote. What was the lie by your own admission you stated a year ago? Logically you can't be a true faithful member of the LDS faith and be active in the occult. You would be disfellowshipped if you didn't repent and quit your interest in it. Any bishop will back that up. How do you justify your claim of being a true blue Mormon while being involved in occult practices while on a mission and while going to BYU? I didn't read that BYU allowed occult as a religious belief to be practiced at their schools. Is that one of your rules as a student at BYU? to be a Mormon that practices the occult and BYU should let you?
That's easy. I wasn't active in the occult before my mission.

And you know what? Being into the occult is not a good reason to throw somebody out of their school, their work, and their housing. It just isn't. It's so dehumanizing for such a silly thing.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I said during the time your girlfriend was talking about how I like to lick shit on little boys dicks. Yet as usual, when it comes to Mormon perverts, you never get around to questioning their Christianity, from J Smith on. But you always like being the ass, so, be the ass. I don't care. You are so sick and demented there is little hope for you. I would love to know what is so screwed up about you that the LDS church won't even take you today, so that tells volumes about how "Christian" you are. You're just a waste of human flesh. Sick in the mind, sick in the soul, if you have one.
I don't question them and their Christianity because in our conversations, your's and mine, to you they're not Christians. So to judge them by Christian standards as I do with you when you state and claim they aren't Christians would be hypocritical to the argument. So they can say whatever and not be held to Christian standards because you claim they aren't Christians.
But you claim and state you're the Christian here. You have stated you're the caring, loving, giving Christian here. So you set yourself up to be judged by Christian standards. When you purposefully fail those standards to say the filthy perverted things you have said you prove you aren't the Christian you claim to be. You don't wear the mantle of Christ when it suits you. Or you shame Christ. And you have shamed Christ often with your filthy perverted speech. When people say filthy vile things to you, don't say them back, that's what a Christian would do. You seem to struggle with that concept.
Now if you really believed mouse was a Christian, I could hold her to Christian standards and Mormons in here. But it makes no sense to hold someone to standards you claim they don't have. But you claim to have them. Understand?

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't question them and their Christianity because in our conversations, your's and mine, to you they're not Christians. So to judge them by Christian standards as I do with you when you state and claim they aren't Christians would be hypocritical to the argument. So they can say whatever and not be held to Christian standards because you claim they aren't Christians.
But you claim and state you're the Christian here. You have stated you're the caring, loving, giving Christian here. So you set yourself up to be judged by Christian standards. When you purposefully fail those standards to say the filthy perverted things you have said you prove you aren't the Christian you claim to be. You don't wear the mantle of Christ when it suits you. Or you shame Christ. And you have shamed Christ often with your filthy perverted speech. When people say filthy vile things to you, don't say them back, that's what a Christian would do. You seem to struggle with that concept.
Now if you really believed mouse was a Christian, I could hold her to Christian standards and Mormons in here. But it makes no sense to hold someone to standards you claim they don't have. But you claim to have them. Understand?
So, it no difference that they claim to being a Christian? I'm the only one who has set the standard? Again you confirm how much of a moron you are, thank you. You also justify my very low opinion of you, a man with no standards in honesty or anything else.

Reeds Spring, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>I don't. I enjoy him looking like a horses ass telling a man he knows more about him than he does. It's entertaining.
Exactly my point. If he doesn't think it's him, so what. Who cares?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

South Salt Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••