Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31997 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#29111 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you don't. How Mormon of you
So what? He's entitled to his opinion. See? That's the difference. I let people think and believe what they want. I don't force mine on others. And, that is Mormon of me. Glad to see that I finally got my point across to you. Took long enough.

Ozark, MO

#29112 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>And you think the rules are fair? A non Lds student can convert and remain a student and Lds students can't.
Yes, it is fair. IT'S A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY!!! They can do what they want. Geez, are you really that stupid???

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#29113 Nov 10, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it is fair. IT'S A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY!!! They can do what they want. Geez, are you really that stupid???
That what I thought.

Location hidden

#29114 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>So what? He's entitled to his opinion. See? That's the difference. I let people think and believe what they want. I don't force mine on others. And, that is Mormon of me. Glad to see that I finally got my point across to you. Took long enough.
Yes, you enjoy watching people trip over themselves, it's way more fun than warning them about the obstacle, right?
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

#29115 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked questions of your earlier post and you don't respond. Why is that? It's telling.
Also on a certain tarot site you've been a member of since 16 Nov 2009 you have over 600 posts. Your last post there was done in the same year you went on your mission.
And for this topic I'll address you for who ever you are as I'm still not convinced you are the real Penfold. How as a one time Mormon going to a strict Mormon education system did you rationalize that at that overly moral strict theistic school you felt they should be a-okay with you dabbling in the occult while claiming to be a true blue faithful Mormon? Hmmm? How in the *-e-l-l do you rationalize that twisted logic?
Before my mission, I was only interested in THE SYMBOLISM of Tarot. I liked the symbolism. I never participated in divining before my mission. I did not think I was dabbling in the Occult because at that time, I was simply studying the symbolism which I found to be interesting.

My TBM roommates knew that I liked Tarot's symbolism. My parents knew that. A lot of people knew that about me. I didn't keep it a secret. I didn't feel that it was wrong for me to study the symbolism of this ancient system that at the time I thought resembled the Gospel on some level.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29116 Nov 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, it no difference that they claim to being a Christian? I'm the only one who has set the standard? Again you confirm how much of a moron you are, thank you. You also justify my very low opinion of you, a man with no standards in honesty or anything else.
Speaking of pathetic morons. You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
Let me state that again so you can slowly digest the information you are stating I do.
You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
But you're incensed and pissed off that I hold you to the standards of being a Christian because you claim that is what you are that others here aren't? How much of a fricking moron can you be????????

Ozark, MO

#29118 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>That what I thought.
Yeah, that'd be pretty funny if they kicked out a non-LDS student who converted to Mormonism. "Well, they were expelled because they converted to the Mormon faith in direct violation of our honor code." Geez! Grow up.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29120 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of pathetic morons. You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
Let me state that again so you can slowly digest the information you are stating I do.
You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
But you're incensed and pissed off that I hold you to the standards of being a Christian because you claim that is what you are that others here aren't? How much of a fricking moron can you be????????
You're contradicting yourself.

Ozark, MO

#29121 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you enjoy watching people trip over themselves, it's way more fun than warning them about the obstacle, right?
Wow! I'm impressed. You actually do care about Surprise and how he appears here. Hahahahahahaha!!!! Yeah, right... Hahahahahaha!!!

Ozark, MO

#29122 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you enjoy watching people trip over themselves, it's way more fun than warning them about the obstacle, right?
Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29123 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think the rules are fair? A non Lds student can convert and remain a student and Lds students can't.
You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So get this. Understand this. If you enroll as a Muslim and switch to being a JW or Jewish Orthodox etc, you can do that. But if you enroll as a Mormon in good standing meaning you're active in the church and you attend church(to whatever degree of activity is acceptable by a bishop)you are expected to remain a Mormon while attending because as a Mormon you get different financial aid, etc. Those are the perks of being a Mormon at a BYU school. Break that rule that got you in and you get the boot. Simple concept.
If one is a Mormon on the fence, their are other colleges to go to like Utah state etc. It is not wise for a doubting Mormon to go to BYU. If they do it's on them. They were explained the rules well ahead of time.
See, BYU was instituted to attract Mormons to that school. They figured out a way to accept non-Mormons, but the school was set up purposefully by the church for active church members. Try to understand that.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29124 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Wow! I'm impressed. You actually do care about Surprise and how he appears here. Hahahahahahaha!!!! Yeah, right... Hahahahahaha!!!
Aren't we all a little worried about him?

Location hidden

#29125 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?
You aren't doing yourself any favors...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29126 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?
Don't fret Crazy your reputation is intact.

Ozark, MO

#29127 Nov 10, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Aren't we all a little worried about him?
Apparently it seems that way. How altruistic of you all.
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

#29128 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So get this. Understand this. If you enroll as a Muslim and switch to being a JW or Jewish Orthodox etc, you can do that. But if you enroll as a Mormon in good standing meaning you're active in the church and you attend church(to whatever degree of activity is acceptable by a bishop)you are expected to remain a Mormon while attending because as a Mormon you get different financial aid, etc. Those are the perks of being a Mormon at a BYU school. Break that rule that got you in and you get the boot. Simple concept.
If one is a Mormon on the fence, their are other colleges to go to like Utah state etc. It is not wise for a doubting Mormon to go to BYU. If they do it's on them. They were explained the rules well ahead of time.
See, BYU was instituted to attract Mormons to that school. They figured out a way to accept non-Mormons, but the school was set up purposefully by the church for active church members. Try to understand that.
That's not true. The president of SHARE, BYU's interfaith club, is an open atheist who came to BYU as a Greek Orthodox. BYU identifies him as a "secular humanist." He's not the only atheist who's on the record at BYU as an atheist. But since he was never Mormon, that's alright. He falls under the jurisdiction of the BYU chaplain.

I wanted to stay at BYU. Why is it that I can't just pay the non-Mormon tuition? Why is it a rule that if I leave the LDS Church, I'm booted from the University (and thus my work and my housing)?

I didn't know that I'd get kicked out if I left the LDS Church.(Most BYU students aren't aware of that policy anyway). But to be honest, when I joined, I was a firm member of the LDS Church. I would give out copies of the Book of Mormon in my high school. I didn't think I was going to be leaving the LDS Church when I first applied for BYU at the age of seventeen.

If BYU can accept non-Mormons, why can't it keep ex-Mormons?

Ozark, MO

#29129 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>You aren't doing yourself any favors...
You didn't answer my question, NoHo. Do you care about me too???

Ozark, MO

#29130 Nov 10, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Don't fret Crazy your reputation is intact.
Nice...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29131 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't doing yourself any favors...
I've been looking for an answer to your question, "would you want to know if the church is false." Guess that's not gonna happen. Bummer. Good question though.

Location hidden

#29132 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So, BYU can be bigoted, racist, homophobic, misogynistic..whatever else they decide to hate and it's ok because they are private..got it..and this is a perfect reflection of your religion?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Haaga Mattress (Nov '15) 12 hr cool dealzz 3
voting for trump 2016 thread 23 hr anonymous 1
Trump Wed Paris 20
ancestry findagrave MICHELLE 46983123 Aug 19 KATRINA SMITH 3
Review: Pinky's (Apr '13) Aug 18 Greg 7
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Aug 16 chance lo co 18
News Gary Johnson tries to qualify for Hofstra presi... Aug 14 OccupyThis 3

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance