Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,005

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

Since: Sep 12

Norwood, MO

#28676 Oct 31, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>When he declared he was the father of Jesus Christ, that made him God the Father, without doubt. The members of that time certainly knew what their Prophet was teaching.
If you believe as a Christian that Adam is the father of the human race, it only stands to reason that would include Jesus Christ as well. That doesn't mean that Adam is God the Father (Heavenly Father). He was/is not both Michael the Archangel and God the Father (Elohim). In the pre-existence, Adam was Michael the Archangel. On this earth, he was Adam, Ancient of Days and father of the human race.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#28677 Oct 31, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Ouch...jeez do you always wake up so grouchy? I may have asked question in a sarcastic manner, but I thought they were legitimate questions. Besides sarcasm as been the tone of this thread since before I ever posted. So, you know, when in Rome. But you're probably right, I should have asked a Mormon. I would think,{of course I could be wrong} as a sealed Mormon, I would wonder what an eternity with the same spouse would be like, especially if twenty years is hard to take. Btw, if you find me offensive, perhaps you'd be better off to ignore me. Just here to help.
lol...no 'may have' to it. You made sarcastic statements and put a question mark after them. You wanted stupid answers to stupid statements, not tough to figure out.
Now this was an actual questionable statement... "I would think,{of course I could be wrong} as a sealed Mormon, I would wonder what an eternity with the same spouse would be like, especially if twenty years is hard to take." I still have no idea to an answer. I would think life in a marriage of a few decades or more would be the same as a marriage for eternity. It all depends on what you do with your time in that marriage that makes it worthwhile or regrettable. Personally, I think being involved in the creation of a new world would pass the time significantly :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28678 Oct 31, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha have you subscribed to her channel yet?
You really live in the dark ages don't you, getting news that's months to years old? She has no channel. But I'm sure I can find some links of her so you can see why you're so like her :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28679 Oct 31, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. And Surprise is here now, so it's bound to get ugly.
lol...I use your wit, your sarcasm and rhetoric to reply back and that makes it ugly? lol...right back at you I suppose you don't know? lol...quite funny! ;)P

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28680 Oct 31, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you are. The cult is a hate group.
A hater hating a hate group? You have your wires crossed somewhere.

Norwood, MO

#28681 Oct 31, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>A hater hating a hate group? You have your wires crossed somewhere.
Liberals ARE the worst hate group in America.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28682 Oct 31, 2013
NoMo wrote:
But, more than anything, if you could describe, in detail, with references:).. Why your church/ religion( CULT ) refuses to let go of gay marriage? I want to hear an explanation that doesn't sound like a crazy person..just once.
You have to play role reversal of what is happening, no adaptations to consider an answer.
Pretend you created a universe etc. On a planet you created two men and two women as pairs for each other. You tell them it's a commandment they are to be same sex couples and nothing more. That they are to be the only two couples on that planet. So you go about the cosmos doing your thing and a spirit you have left to keep you informed of what's happening tells you to come quickly.
You come back and find your same sex pairs have paired off in opposite sex couples and now have kids. You're angry, pissed and than some because the couples you set together as same sex couples disobeyed you and are now something other than what you commanded. you didn't want children. You wanted two same sex couples, not two opposite sex couples with kids. Get an understanding yet?
It wasn't an option from you to the same sex couples to do as you didn't command them. You gave a command for your purposes you didn't need to explain to them and they chose not to obey you.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28683 Oct 31, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>The whole religion comes across like a sketch from Saturday Night Live.
Really? You should try the on going sketch played live 24/7 that nothing created itself into something and called itself God and appointed itself three personalities because one personality wasn't enough to handle it all...lol.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28684 Oct 31, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
When he declared he was the father of Jesus Christ, that made him God the Father, without doubt. The members of that time certainly knew what their Prophet was teaching.
Now this is an intelligent thought out discussion as we use to have, just saying :)

To have a good measured understanding of the Adam God doctrine, you always have to remember the LDS have taught the difference between the spiritual creation and the physical creation if you want to understand the doctrine. you cannot approach this doctrine from the traditional Christian perspective that nothingness made a God of itself. You have to forget those teachings for the moment.
According to the Bible each prophet will be the judge of those generations for the word of God given to those generations. What Adam taught was different than what Moses taught. What Moses taught is different than what Peter and the apostles taught. And Adam, Moses and Peter and the apostles all received the same words (with variations) from the same God.
According to LDS teachings, Adam, Moses and Peter and the apostles will all be judges of those that received the word of God as God gave his words to them in their own time. But God will be the final judge as to where each of us are bound on the judgement day.
The above is a setting to understand the order of the hierarchy of God the Father, Jesus Christ and Adam.
To further understand this order, you have to remember the LDS teach God the Father created all things spiritual for this time period. Jesus Christ created all things physical in this time period. But Adam was found worthy to be the physical Father of all sons and daughters born to God in the flesh. He was responsible for giving the word of God to all succeeding generations. That made him our Father and our God in that sense of the word 'god'. But that position of Adam doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus Christ is the only God with whom we have to do with concerning our salvation. Jesus as a God gave us salvation to accept or not accept. If we accepted it we would live with God the Father again so LDS teach.
And God the Father is just that, he is the supreme being and architect of all that is. But our salvation comes from and through Jesus and our temporal judgements come through Adam who gave us our bodies and the word of God.
If I have said anything incorrect it is of me. And a parting word of wisdom from the author..." Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference,.."

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28685 Oct 31, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Nomo verifies this :)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#28686 Oct 31, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>It seems as though you think I've contradicted myself somewhere? Is that the point to all this?
Point made.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#28687 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
If you believe as a Christian that Adam is the father of the human race, it only stands to reason that would include Jesus Christ as well. That doesn't mean that Adam is God the Father (Heavenly Father). He was/is not both Michael the Archangel and God the Father (Elohim). In the pre-existence, Adam was Michael the Archangel. On this earth, he was Adam, Ancient of Days and father of the human race.
The intent was clearly more than what you are claiming as verified by this statement by Grant:

"Heber C. Kimball, first counselor to Brigham Young, claimed that "there is but one God that pertains to this people, and he is the God that pertains to this earth—the first man. THAT FIRST MAN SENT HIS OWN SON TO REDEEM THE WORLD ..." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 1).

Marysville, CA

#28688 Nov 1, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this is an intelligent thought out discussion as we use to have, just saying :)
To have a good measured understanding of the Adam God doctrine, you always have to remember the LDS have taught the difference between the spiritual creation and the physical creation if you want to understand the doctrine. you cannot approach this doctrine from the traditional Christian perspective that nothingness made a God of itself. You have to forget those teachings for the moment.
According to the Bible each prophet will be the judge of those generations for the word of God given to those generations. What Adam taught was different than what Moses taught. What Moses taught is different than what Peter and the apostles taught. And Adam, Moses and Peter and the apostles all received the same words (with variations) from the same God.
According to LDS teachings, Adam, Moses and Peter and the apostles will all be judges of those that received the word of God as God gave his words to them in their own time. But God will be the final judge as to where each of us are bound on the judgement day.
The above is a setting to understand the order of the hierarchy of God the Father, Jesus Christ and Adam.
To further understand this order, you have to remember the LDS teach God the Father created all things spiritual for this time period. Jesus Christ created all things physical in this time period. But Adam was found worthy to be the physical Father of all sons and daughters born to God in the flesh. He was responsible for giving the word of God to all succeeding generations. That made him our Father and our God in that sense of the word 'god'. But that position of Adam doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus Christ is the only God with whom we have to do with concerning our salvation. Jesus as a God gave us salvation to accept or not accept. If we accepted it we would live with God the Father again so LDS teach.
And God the Father is just that, he is the supreme being and architect of all that is. But our salvation comes from and through Jesus and our temporal judgements come through Adam who gave us our bodies and the word of God.
If I have said anything incorrect it is of me. And a parting word of wisdom from the author..." Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference,.."
Not talking about what the LDS church accepts, but what Brigham Young taught on the subject. And he claimed it was by revelation from God.

Marysville, CA

#28690 Nov 1, 2013
http://www.ksl.com/...

OREM — A new study by researchers at Utah Valley University says that an early return for missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is often accompanied by feelings of failure.

Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because the members make them feel that way?
pearl

Park City, UT

#28691 Nov 1, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Point made.
Well, okay then.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28692 Nov 1, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
This was actually painful to read, by now I should have known better. Most likely an omen, I better stay inside today.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28693 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Wow, that was a pretty broad stroke. Or are you just looking for an argument, cuz I'm thinking West-Boro Baptist or the KKK are kinda conservative, And God fearing too. I don't know, maybe they are not really hate groups, Just a couple of religious organizations?
pearl

Park City, UT

#28694 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Topix has private mailboxes to send messages to other topix members. And, it's only naughty if you make it that way.
If discretion is what you desire, okay.

Marysville, CA

#28695 Nov 1, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>This was actually painful to read, by now I should have known better. Most likely an omen, I better stay inside today.
And it had nothing to do with what I was saying.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28696 Nov 1, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...I use your wit, your sarcasm and rhetoric to reply back and that makes it ugly? lol...right back at you I suppose you don't know? lol...quite funny! ;)P
Of course we can all see you assume your conduct on this thread is beyond reproach. But surely your aware-
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby becomes a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Nietzsche {if I remember correctly} Anywho, just look at Yourahick/jerrysandusky he was probably a descent person, once, long, long ago. I'm sure all here would hate to see that happen to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 2 hr Toko2014 14,014
Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax' r... 2 hr Sneaky Pete 13
Gay marriage cases await early Supreme Court de... 3 hr KiMare 473
last post wins! (Jul '11) Fri Maverick 808 329
BLM weighs rope ban at Corona Arch, Gemini Bridges Fri shedreams2 1
Review: Anna Trupp Lcsw Fri Badcustodyevaluation 3
Ebay: Item Visibility of Small Sellers' Items o... Fri OnlineConsumer 1
•••
•••

South Salt Lake Jobs