Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32007 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23423 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/ 414
Interesting factual hitorical find... teotihuacan
The Nephites, Jeridites, and Mulekites landed in Meso America.
There are many guesses from many people... but the truth is revealed his archeologic facts.
Good Luck to you in your search.
You're right, they show that there were never any people called "Nephites" in America.

Marysville, CA

#23424 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
Luke 8:17
For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light.
True, and Joseph Smith has been expose as the fraud he is.

Marysville, CA

#23425 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't speaking about what Mormons call it. You were.
You and nomo spoke offensively of the tithing Mormons make. I didn't.
I made a comparison the Christian ministers expected tithes from their members as the Mormon leaders expect from their members. You two didn't like that comparison and denied it took place.
I was speaking about terminology ministers used for their members when discussing tithing pledges. You continued to reference Mormons.
I was speaking about the value tithing holds for most Christian churches that aren't financially self sufficient. You didn't. You denied there was any such importance.
You and nomo declared churches you two attended didn't ask for tithes, insinuating the churches you two attended were so financially set that they didn't need tithes to help pay monthly costs.
Get it yet?
And I just see you as trying to be slick, as usual. I was talking about tithing settlements, and that you don't see them in any other church. You, lying as usual to try to make Mormonism Christian, said they do.
Just more of your BS.
Chuck

Springtown, TX

#23426 Apr 12, 2013
TGIF!

Marysville, CA

#23427 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
City of Nephi (Guatamal/Kaminaljuju)
10 days = 80 miles
*to
Water of Mormon (Lake of Atitlan)
8 days = 65 miles
*to
Land of Helam (Almolonga)
1 day = 8 miles
*to
Valley of Alma (Quetzaltenango)
12 days = 96 miles
*to
City/Land of Zarahemla (Chiapas Depression)
So, where can I find a BoM map published by the LDS church?

Marysville, CA

#23428 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
It figures that's Tanner's logic makes sense to you. Especially since she's what you're not, a civil polite intelligent anti-Mormon that doesn't usually lie to make a point.
Next, she does a bit of a twist in her statement. Smith couldn't imitate the existence of a specific type of writing in all the right places if he knew nothing about it. Tanner doesn't mention that fact. That's called deception by purpose.
What Tanner doesn't tell you is someone that doesn't know what their copying, they'll reword it in all the wrong places and maybe a few right places because they don't know what their re-writing as Smith is accused of doing.
Therefore it's a fact that Smith in rewriting a specific undiscovered type of writing, he would have massacred it over and over. Those later recognizing Chiasmus, they would have been able to read Smith's book and could point to where he destroyed what should have been Chiasmus and where he unknowingly wrote out chiasmus correctly.
But it's been noted that Smith rewrote Chiasmus as correctly as it was written into the OT without knowing it. Tanner doesn't go over that fact because she can't explain it herself. So it's easier for Tanner to just excuse it away with Smith got lucky in that he didn't slaughter any Chiasmus in rewriting it in the BOM.
You go with that. LOL!!!

Marysville, CA

#23429 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
http://www.ancientamerica.org/ library/media/HTML/vd6l8c4c/7. %20STELA%205.htm?n=0
This is a link about "The Tree of Life Stone"
It was left in by the Nephites 200 BC
http://www.moroni10.com/lehi_stone.html
"Izapa Stela 5: The Lehi Stone
This stone, currently possessed by The Smithsonian, was discovered in the ancient Mesoamerican city of Izapa, in 1941, by archaeologist Matthew W. Stirling. The stone carving has been dated to the Preclassic Guillen Phase between 300 BC and 50 AD. While both LDS and Non-LDS scholars debate the interpretation of the carving, it's hard to ignore the striking similarity it has to Lehi's dream of the "Tree of Life" found in 1 Nephi chapter 8. The tree of life, the people eating fruit, and other resemblances to the account of Lehi's dream, coupled with the location it was found, and it being dated dead on to the Book of Mormon timetable, makes this an intriguing evidence of Book of Mormon authenticity. But like all faith evidences, this won't make people believe who don't already."
Even many Mormon apologists call that bunk:
The elements highlighted above should be kept in mind. It is these points which popular apologists compare to IS5: the Tree of Life is identified with Lehi's tree, the figures in the IS5 with Lehi and his family; the writing figure with Nephi recording the vision; the river with the river; the hooded figure with a blind person who has lost his way (contrary to Jakeman!), and the rod of iron with a heavy line along the bottom of IS5.

So is there any substance to this analysis, or is it, after the manner of The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark, merely a stretch of imagination? On this account, the leading Mormon apologists are not agreeing with Jakeman. Two items in the first 1999 edition of the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies ("The History of an Idea" by Stewart Brewer; "A New Artistic Rendering of Izapa Stela 5" by John Clark) make these points, first from Brewer:

Even at the earliest, Jakeman relied on a little creativity to fit IS5 with the vision. "For example, the large field he believed was represented by a small uncarned segment of the background. He argued that it stood conceptually for a large field but could not be shown larger because the scene was so crowded."
Norman's later work, which involved extensive photography and examination of IS5, referred to "errors in detecting details" which "plagued" Jakeman's interpretation, and decided that much of his work was thereby "rendered invalid." However, he went on to suggest a "road of life" theme for the IS5 that he felt did not invalidate Jakeman's hypothesis, but rather "deepened its meaning."
A non-Mormon researcher, Suzanne Miles, provided the first significant non-Mormon look at IS5 and described it as a "fantastic visual myth." Her interpretation did not in any way lend support to Jakeman's. Somewhat before Miles another researcher, Clyde Keeler, offered an interpretation which also disagreed wirth Jakeman's. In 1982, a BYU graduate, Gareth Lowe, interpreted IS5 as a creation myth.
Hugh Nibley, the premier LDS apologist, dismissed Jakeman's interpretation as wishful thinking, offering criticism for his failure to check for parallels in Far Eastern art and in other Mesoamerican art; ignoring or explaining away contrary evidence; "gross errors in elementary matters of linguistic and iconographic evidence", and offering unlikely interpretations over simple ones.
More recently, however, popular Mormon apologist Michael Griffith and BYU professor of ancient scripture Alan Parrish have come out in support of Jakeman's interpretation.

http://www.tektonics.org/qt/stela5.html

Marysville, CA

#23430 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The only idiocy here is those that think a religion that is based on God setting up for a purpose a man and a woman for a marriage and family, that this is the core reason for mankind's existence in this religion, the only idiocy belongs to those that think this religion will just roll over and destroy itself because of popular opinion.
You stick with that. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Marysville, CA

#23431 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you're so very correct! I am debating a huge amount of your BS, that's a fact Jack!
You're debating that Christian church ministers don't sit down with individual members of any church and discuss what their monthly pledge will be according to their income. You're debating they do no such thing. You said Christian ministers "DON'T HAVE TITHING MEETINGS/SETTLEMENTS/SESSIONS/ DISCUSSIONS/PLEDGES" with their members. That is what you just stated again.
That means according to your BS thinking, Christian ministers know how much it costs to run their church each month but they have not a clue if that'll be done because they don't talk about tithes to individual members. The minister to your BS thinking passes out a basket each sunday and by the last Sunday of the month he just hopes and prays that there's enough to pay the bills with.
See, you and nomo are missing a bit of real time information. Of you I expect this idiocy. But of nomo, she claims to have been on the financial boards of churches so she knows for a fact steady regular tithe payers PAY THE FRICKING BILLS. You can't pay those bills unless YOU KNOW IN ADVANCE THAT THE MONEY WILL BE THERE TO PAY THOSE BILLS.
Therefore ministers DO HAVE ONE ON ONE TITHE SESSIONS with regular tithe paying members to see what they will pay monthly into the church kitty. Than the minister will know if he'll have enough to pay the monthly bills with. And if he comes up short, it's bake time and donation time and fast.
But according to you and nomo, the Christian ministers you two know don't worry about monthly bills because their so well off they don't need tithes to pay bills. And that thinking proves how far off in la-la land you two live. Get it?
Maybe because our real life experience in this out weigh your mythical claims. It doesn't happen.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#23432 Apr 12, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Tolerance is a TRAP! Ask Boyd K PaKKKer.
So is Ignorance.

Marysville, CA

#23433 Apr 12, 2013
The fight continues for equal rights in the LDS church...

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/opinion/utah-...

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23434 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You go with that. LOL!!!
Dana,

I can't imagine anyone believing the crap that comes out of your mouth to be true.

You are truly a sad person, and I feel sorry for you.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23435 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
You twist everything. I never said they were.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to build an Ark that may have resembled Noah's Ark. I said can you build it with out divine intervention from God.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23436 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, where can I find a BoM map published by the LDS church?
I told you... we are discussing landmarks. I gave them to you. Of course you will dismiss them. You will dismiss anything.

Question? Are you an atheist? Do you believe in the Bible?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23437 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
True, and Joseph Smith has been expose as the fraud he is.
Joseph Smith has been persecuted the same as the first 12 Disciples, the same as many Christians in the Dark Ages, the same as Jesus Christ himself.

Jesus Christ was accused of being a fraud and killed by unbelievers.

Question: Do you believe in the Bible?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23438 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Having a Carol moment?
What did I step on your toes... so you have to start using your diversion tactics and name calling?

Marysville, CA

#23439 Apr 13, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Dana,
I can't imagine anyone believing the crap that comes out of your mouth to be true.
You are truly a sad person, and I feel sorry for you.
Save your pity for yourself. Unlike you, I'm free of the cult.

Marysville, CA

#23440 Apr 13, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You twist everything. I never said they were.
I didn't say it wasn't possible to build an Ark that may have resembled Noah's Ark. I said can you build it with out divine intervention from God.
Why bring up pyramids if it has no relation to the BoM then?

Marysville, CA

#23441 Apr 13, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you... we are discussing landmarks. I gave them to you. Of course you will dismiss them. You will dismiss anything.
Question? Are you an atheist? Do you believe in the Bible?
And if they were real landmarks , as you are claiming, the LDS church would be backing it up, correct? Because they would love to have actual proof supporting it's scripture. They want actual proof. Yet they won't accept them as landmarks, and if they don't accept them, why should anyone else?

Marysville, CA

#23442 Apr 13, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I step on your toes... so you have to start using your diversion tactics and name calling?
Only when you get stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frank Jackson To Duke 17 min Hilarious 25
News Episcopalians vote to allow gay marriage in chu... 11 hr Mikey 29
NO ILLEGALS DRUGS in U.S. Tue NO DRUGS ILLEGALS... 1
last post wins! (Jul '11) Tue Hatti_Hollerand 363
DONALD TRUMP is NIGERIAN PRINCE ! .. Birth Cert... Aug 31 The Donald 2
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Aug 26 ajohnson 67
News LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) Aug 23 Zorri 30,209
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Salt Lake Mortgages