Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31992 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23308 Apr 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
No, ministers do not have sit down meetings with individual members, to make sure they are paying the full 10%. You are FOS, as usual.
You're a liar. You've been a liar. You have proven to so many in these threads you'd rather be a liar than to state what's true. You're a liberal far left extremist and if (as in this post proves you just made about the post office guy) it happens to one than to you, it has to be happening to everyone. And that's your far left liberal extremism at work.
I know people who sit with their ministers and they let them know what their making and how much they'll be giving in tithing which is dependent on things going on in their life. These meetings usually happen in January. We have a huge Baptist church up here. The minister has 'tithing meetings' with his members so he gets an idea of what his church will receive for the year from his 'regular dependable' tithers.
If you know a single solitary so called Christian church whose minister doesn't care about tithing or receiving tithing, than you know a minister who is somehow financially self sufficient and doesn't need tithes for building upkeep, community events, food for the members that fall on tough times or $ for members falling on tough financial times.
You're a liar. You'll remain a liar because that's what you're best at, lying when you can't prove what you state is true. I made a challenge and you won't accept it because you don't want to admit what is true, that all ministers that aren't financially self sufficient, for the regular members, they have sit down meetings to see how much they'll pledge in tithing to that church to help it function. Fricking liar.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23309 Apr 11, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, maybe it is just because you haven't seen what he is talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_pyramid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_pyramid#Mes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toltec
Here is a step pyramid... in MEXICO & MESOAMERICA.
I am not really sure if that is the architect of today. You can see some of the hieroglyphs on the buildings, on the steps.
If you read some of the books... I can give you other authors, but you haven't read that one yet.
And how does this validate the BoM in any way, shape or form? Nowhere does it talk about the Nephites or the Laminites building them. There is zero similarities between Egyptian and South American heiroglyphics.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23310 Apr 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot, Ive worked in churches for a couple of decades. You obviously haven't been to any other churches, or paid any attention when once a year, they publish their budget, financials and have pledge drives.
You're a liar. I look forward to the day you stop being a liar though, that would be nice. People that pledge a certain yearly amount to their minister, if they stop paying their monthly tithe, the minister speaks to them privately to see what's up. All non-pledge tithers do as they do in that church, they come and put a few $ in the basket and that's it and the minister accepts it. Those aren't the people the minister depends on for the financial needs of his church.
What fricking churches have you attended where the minister has no expectations of his members for being regular dependable tithers? Hmm? Please give me the name of the church and the minister's name. I'll have no qualms calling and asking how he manages paying electric, sewage, water, gas, operating costs, building maintenance and all that jazz 12 months a year if your opinion is true tithing isn't necessary to him or her.
Put up or shut up and be the liar you usually prove you are..waiting...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23311 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. You've been a liar. You have proven to so many in these threads you'd rather be a liar than to state what's true. You're a liberal far left extremist and if (as in this post proves you just made about the post office guy) it happens to one than to you, it has to be happening to everyone. And that's your far left liberal extremism at work.
I know people who sit with their ministers and they let them know what their making and how much they'll be giving in tithing which is dependent on things going on in their life. These meetings usually happen in January. We have a huge Baptist church up here. The minister has 'tithing meetings' with his members so he gets an idea of what his church will receive for the year from his 'regular dependable' tithers.
If you know a single solitary so called Christian church whose minister doesn't care about tithing or receiving tithing, than you know a minister who is somehow financially self sufficient and doesn't need tithes for building upkeep, community events, food for the members that fall on tough times or $ for members falling on tough financial times.
You're a liar. You'll remain a liar because that's what you're best at, lying when you can't prove what you state is true. I made a challenge and you won't accept it because you don't want to admit what is true, that all ministers that aren't financially self sufficient, for the regular members, they have sit down meetings to see how much they'll pledge in tithing to that church to help it function. Fricking liar.
I not only know of one, but four, that I have faithfully attended over the years, and have never had such a meeting with the minister. Never, ever. Had over 20 as a member of the LDS church. And I have known Bishops that have wanted to see my 1040 tax returns.

Can't speak about the baptists church you are talking about because I can't validate it, but my history with you tells me give it serious doubts about the truth of it. Even if truth, it isn't a standard practice, that I do know.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23312 Apr 11, 2013
Give us the name and city of that church so I can call them.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23313 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Crack logic at it's best.
You really have a mental thing going when your reasoning is tossed back at you. You revert to this childish little boy instead of maintaining the appearance of an adult. Why do you do that? Do you even know? Is it some mental protection thing you feel a need to toss out there, to speak like a little pissed off boy in a reply? Just wondering.
You berated a guy's intelligence because he believes in UFOs. But you won't berate Ezekiel in the same way and he wrote about a UFO in the sky. Why such hypocrisy? Why such childish replies? What does a childish reply do for your mentality? Does it stroke your immature ego?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23314 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dam right they don't. I've attend many churches since I've left Mormonism, and have never once had a meeting with a minister was asking me if I've been paying a full tithe. Not once.
Day by day it is very apparent No surprise will say anything to try to save the mormon church. He pulls truth from his butt.
Thank you for proving my earlier point. Non-permanent members of a church aren't a logical source for regular tithes. You stated you have fluttered about to many MANY churches which means no minister would ever seek you out as a dependable tithe payer to help pay the church's bills.
Next, you have stated you have been with the Salvation Army church for A LONG TIME in past posts. The salvation army takes donations in their baskets but they are self sufficiently run financially and don't depend on tithes to keep afloat.
And I wasn't speaking about what the LDS do concerning tithes. Get the conversation straight oh dishonest one.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23315 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. You've been a liar. You have proven to so many in these threads you'd rather be a liar than to state what's true. You're a liberal far left extremist and if (as in this post proves you just made about the post office guy) it happens to one than to you, it has to be happening to everyone. And that's your far left liberal extremism at work.
I know people who sit with their ministers and they let them know what their making and how much they'll be giving in tithing which is dependent on things going on in their life. These meetings usually happen in January. We have a huge Baptist church up here. The minister has 'tithing meetings' with his members so he gets an idea of what his church will receive for the year from his 'regular dependable' tithers.
If you know a single solitary so called Christian church whose minister doesn't care about tithing or receiving tithing, than you know a minister who is somehow financially self sufficient and doesn't need tithes for building upkeep, community events, food for the members that fall on tough times or $ for members falling on tough financial times.
You're a liar. You'll remain a liar because that's what you're best at, lying when you can't prove what you state is true. I made a challenge and you won't accept it because you don't want to admit what is true, that all ministers that aren't financially self sufficient, for the regular members, they have sit down meetings to see how much they'll pledge in tithing to that church to help it function. Fricking liar.
Freaking out after getting called on your BS again? Ive worked for Episcopal, Methodist and Lutheran churches...none of them do it. Many of my relatives are Baptist and Catholic and have NEVER heard this from any of them. Even Pentecostals...l As a matter of fact, every family or friend who lives out of state, when told of your tithing "practices", is shocked. Using bishops to collect debt is disgusting. Like the mob.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23316 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. I look forward to the day you stop being a liar though, that would be nice. People that pledge a certain yearly amount to their minister, if they stop paying their monthly tithe, the minister speaks to them privately to see what's up. All non-pledge tithers do as they do in that church, they come and put a few $ in the basket and that's it and the minister accepts it. Those aren't the people the minister depends on for the financial needs of his church.
What fricking churches have you attended where the minister has no expectations of his members for being regular dependable tithers? Hmm? Please give me the name of the church and the minister's name. I'll have no qualms calling and asking how he manages paying electric, sewage, water, gas, operating costs, building maintenance and all that jazz 12 months a year if your opinion is true tithing isn't necessary to him or her.
Put up or shut up and be the liar you usually prove you are..waiting...
Try as hard as you want but you can't twist collecting a debt into a donation. Your cult is the oddball, once again.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23317 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And what does this have to do with Smith, polygamy, and D&C 132? Do you know how to follow a topic?
Everything.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23318 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that is the beauty of Mormonism, depending on what year it is, you can prove any dam thing you want, yet they would have us believe these contradictions in teachings, contradiction in leaders are all getting their messages from God. Mormon God seems to be a very confused little god if he can't get what he wants straight. A great demonstration on why the LDS church is total BS.
The Bible was and is full of contradictions before the BOM existed and you hug it to yourself inspite of all the contradictions it holds. Seems the BS you frown at you slurp away on a daily basis from that black book. Jesus appointed would be liars, murderers, doubters etc and you have no problem with it. Seems you swim crown deep in BS while exclaiming others doing the same as you are wrong but your stink is better smelling? Why am I not surprised at your hypocrisy.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23319 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful doubletalk, but that is all. It is also an admission that Mormon leaders can and are two faced. They will say when thing to the faithful and change their story to the unbelievers. That is called deceiving. Another type of "lying for the lord."
By the way, when you post something, please give the source. Crazy and I, like to see the source.
There is no double talk. If it exists, it's because you wish to see it as such. LDS theologists have went out in articles trying to show eternal marriages in temples happened in ancient times between a man and a woman who would become a god and goddess.
Now to the intelligent person that would mean that even though polygamous marriages were a way to attain god and goddess status, monogamous marriages were also a way to attain god and goddess status.
Unfortunately unintelligent people as your self wish not to understand that fact of Mormon history. So you are your own problem for not understanding the obvious. But that's how you fly, by lies and self deception. God help us all if you were ever to actually to consider things in a light of honesty as things are actually written...we might all faint :)

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23320 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Christian I very know the concept of tithing, what i don't do is say it done because my friends do it. When I talk about Mormonism, I don't justify my statement by saying "some Mormons told me that."
I'll share this with you, not sure why, like feeding good food to dogs that just ate...
most of my family/extended family aren't Mormons. They live in MT, ID, UT and other states. They are (unlike you) good honest Christians that don't speak foul ugly remarks about other people or other religions. If they don't have anything good to say about someone, they say nothing. It's a wise principle to live by. It reflects your character.
They all tithe. They all belong to different Christian churches. Most have been attending the same church for over a decade. They all have sit down talks with their ministers about tithing and what they can afford. They have said at times when they can't pay that expected tithing, their minister counsels them to see what's up and if he can be of help.
None of them attend a 'financially self-sufficient' church that doesn't need tithe payers. The tithes my cousin and her husband pay, they help to send them to the Caribbean's to help build schools and churches and wells etc. Their church is in a little small no name town in MT. The church exists because of the regular tithe payers.
Mormonism taught me nothing about tithes. The several different Christian churches I was raised in from a child to a teen is where I learned of tithes. One church we attended shut it's doors because the people attending it didn't tithe enough to pay the yearly bills and the corporate headquarter church in Billings couldn't afford to pay all the bills. My sister attended a few churches that shut down for the same reason. No regular tithe payers and bills go un-paid.
You and nomo can stroke yourselves all you want that Christian ministers don't have sit downs with regular members for 12 month pledges but you're living in a make believe liars world.
Want to prove me wrong? Do it.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23321 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no double talk. If it exists, it's because you wish to see it as such. LDS theologists have went out in articles trying to show eternal marriages in temples happened in ancient times between a man and a woman who would become a god and goddess.
Now to the intelligent person that would mean that even though polygamous marriages were a way to attain god and goddess status, monogamous marriages were also a way to attain god and goddess status.
Unfortunately unintelligent people as your self wish not to understand that fact of Mormon history. So you are your own problem for not understanding the obvious. But that's how you fly, by lies and self deception. God help us all if you were ever to actually to consider things in a light of honesty as things are actually written...we might all faint :)
OR....JS and BY and all the rest of those creeps really enjoyed not being monogamous..how you sheep swallow such blatant garbage is beyond me. Ive heard for years Orin Hatch is a polygamist..women in your cult are still looked upon as chattel and to you, that's a good thing, isn't it?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23322 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll share this with you, not sure why, like feeding good food to dogs that just ate...
most of my family/extended family aren't Mormons. They live in MT, ID, UT and other states. They are (unlike you) good honest Christians that don't speak foul ugly remarks about other people or other religions. If they don't have anything good to say about someone, they say nothing. It's a wise principle to live by. It reflects your character.
They all tithe. They all belong to different Christian churches. Most have been attending the same church for over a decade. They all have sit down talks with their ministers about tithing and what they can afford. They have said at times when they can't pay that expected tithing, their minister counsels them to see what's up and if he can be of help.
None of them attend a 'financially self-sufficient' church that doesn't need tithe payers. The tithes my cousin and her husband pay, they help to send them to the Caribbean's to help build schools and churches and wells etc. Their church is in a little small no name town in MT. The church exists because of the regular tithe payers.
Mormonism taught me nothing about tithes. The several different Christian churches I was raised in from a child to a teen is where I learned of tithes. One church we attended shut it's doors because the people attending it didn't tithe enough to pay the yearly bills and the corporate headquarter church in Billings couldn't afford to pay all the bills. My sister attended a few churches that shut down for the same reason. No regular tithe payers and bills go un-paid.
You and nomo can stroke yourselves all you want that Christian ministers don't have sit downs with regular members for 12 month pledges but you're living in a make believe liars world.
Want to prove me wrong? Do it.
what's the name of that baptist church you were lying about again?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23323 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I not only know of one, but four, that I have faithfully attended over the years, and have never had such a meeting with the minister. Never, ever.
Than this will be simple and easy for you to answer. If these five ministers never sought you out for a one on one tithe meeting, that indirectly reflects they didn't do the same with anyone else that was a regular member as you claim you were.
So tell me, how did the bills get paid? Every month all five ministers received bills for gas, electric, water, sewage/garbage disposal, building up keep, some paid ministry, a church van or two that required monthly $ for gas and washing and maintenance,$ to give to regular members that can't pay rent or some bill that month,$ for food for members not doing well,$ for church functions, if you weren't giving a specific amount and no one else was giving a specific amount these five ministers needed for bills, please explain to me who was paying for all these monthly expenditures if it wasn't tithe payers?
And your answer can't pertain to financially self sufficient ministers that don't need tithes. Your answer has to reflect these ministers that exist because of tithe payers.
Do you understand?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23324 Apr 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Than this will be simple and easy for you to answer. If these five ministers never sought you out for a one on one tithe meeting, that indirectly reflects they didn't do the same with anyone else that was a regular member as you claim you were.
So tell me, how did the bills get paid? Every month all five ministers received bills for gas, electric, water, sewage/garbage disposal, building up keep, some paid ministry, a church van or two that required monthly $ for gas and washing and maintenance,$ to give to regular members that can't pay rent or some bill that month,$ for food for members not doing well,$ for church functions, if you weren't giving a specific amount and no one else was giving a specific amount these five ministers needed for bills, please explain to me who was paying for all these monthly expenditures if it wasn't tithe payers?
And your answer can't pertain to financially self sufficient ministers that don't need tithes. Your answer has to reflect these ministers that exist because of tithe payers.
Do you understand?
Through pledges and faith moron, not holding worthiness hostage. No one does that but Mormons.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23325 Apr 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Give us the name and city of that church so I can call them.
Call if you like. I doubt you'll get a lot of information as your hostility won't get much of a reply. But here is their web site and a paste about one of the things expected from you as a 'reborn Christian'.

http://www.ancbt.org/Beliefs/Beliefs_Now.php

Now That You're Saved ... What's Next?

In order to grow to maturity as a Christian, you must be loyal and obedient to the commands of Christ. He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15). Some of these requirements are listed here in order that you may know what our Lord expects of His disciples.

5. Tithe Your Income
Tithing (giving one-tenth) of your income is the Biblical method of supporting God's work. The Bible tells us, "Upon the first day of the week (Sunday) let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." (I Corinthians 16:2). God says to bring the tithe into the "storehouse," meaning the local church. Your church is your storehouse of spiritual food, blessing and service, so this is the proper place to give your tithe. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of Heaven and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10). The right use of money is a test of character. If you are dishonest to God in money matters, you cannot grow spiritually.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23326 Apr 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Freaking out after getting called on your BS again? Ive worked for Episcopal, Methodist and Lutheran churches...none of them do it. Many of my relatives are Baptist and Catholic and have NEVER heard this from any of them. Even Pentecostals...l As a matter of fact, every family or friend who lives out of state, when told of your tithing "practices", is shocked. Using bishops to collect debt is disgusting. Like the mob.
Than this will be easy for you to explain as I asked it of Dana. Who pays the bills since you claim tithe payers don't pay the bills. Waiting....
You did say you were on church boards. Are you a liar? Let's find out. Give me a ballpark figure of how much it costs to run a small church with a regular attendance of say fifty people. You said you were on church financial boards. Prove you're not a liar.
Give the total monthly cost to run a church that you claim you attended that you claim you were a board member of. Than state where the money came from to pay those bills since tithe payers don't pay the bills according to you...waiting...

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23327 Apr 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Try as hard as you want but you can't twist collecting a debt into a donation. Your cult is the oddball, once again.
lol....according to your reasoning, Christianity has been the odd ball because it's many various religions have been demanding tithes of some sort from it's members for way past a thousand years and counting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apartments that forbid pitbulls in So SLC 10 hr bridge47 3
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) 18 hr 10uhsee 66
West Valley Gang Bangers.. (Nov '08) 20 hr j locs 72
Aparments in Salt Lake City Sun Mac 1
News 19 Utah schools receive official state STEM des... May 19 Joann 1
News BYU launches sexual assault policy feedback web... May 19 Jane 1
News Polynesians refused service at Utah bar settle ... May 19 Cheri 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Salt Lake Mortgages