Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments (Page 1,103)

Showing posts 22,041 - 22,060 of31,770
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Cfoote wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement isn't factually true.
that the six-
teenth-century Guatemalan Indian
who first recorded this "most distin-
guished example of native American
literature" is anonymous, for the
authors of "Popol Vuh" are more
properly the ancient Quiche people
themselves, passing on orally from
generation to generation, possibly with
hieroglyphic outlines, "the old stories,
the beginning and the origin of all
that was done ... by the tribes of the
Quiche nation."
The Quiche were the most powerful
of the highland Maya tribes at the
time of Alvarado's conquest of Guate-
mala. This is their Bible, their sacred
collection of folklore, mythology,..
Notice the words 'Their Bible" it contains stories similar but not like that of the first nine books of the Bible. The Book of Mormon also says Christ was revealed to North American Indians not South America.. Again you are factually incorrect.
and the hieroglyphics came from the Nephites in the Book of Mormon...

The Nephites escaped from Jerusalem before the Nebuchadnezzar took the Jews into Captivity. About 587 B.C.

Lehi was an educated man who wrote Hebrew language in Egyptian Hieroglyphs... The language became abbreviated and into a language of it's own to save space on the plates they had available to them for writing their history.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

The Popol Vuh was not the original writings of the Spaniards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_de_Alva ...

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Cfoote wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the words 'Their Bible" it contains stories similar but not like that of the first nine books of the Bible. The Book of Mormon also says Christ was revealed to North American Indians not South America.. Again you are factually incorrect.
I will refer you to further investing the historical facts... I think you have touched on the topic but it would help to get to the truths if you read more.

As far as you statement above... that is your opinion, and nothing more.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is being a liar of your own ignorance you pretend is truth.
Mormon fact, research it and use a wee bit of your intelligence that does exist in some part of that thing you hardly use called a brain. Not all Mormon elders were given the law of polygamy to obey. That's a Mormon fact.
And the fact that you have continued to claim that the law of polygamy was given to every Mormon elder to obey is a continued lie on your part. And you have proved again you don't care for what's true. What matters to you is to tell an outright lie even in the face of Mormon historical facts that the law of polygamy wasn't given to all Mormon elders to obey. And you're a liar to state otherwise and you'll remain a liar to state that and I'm going to call you a liar till you decide to go with actual history instead of your pathetic twisted lies.
The law of polygamy was given to select Mormon elders under Smith and Young to obey. Neither Smith nor Young made a claim or a statement that the law of polygamy was to be obeyed by every single Mormon elder.
Read the verse in context... "...for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same." It doesn't read "...for all elders in the church who will have this law revealed unto them must obey the same." It doesn't read "...all elders in my church will have this law to abide by and those must obey it." It doesn't read "...this law is for every elder to obey and abide by who must obey the same."
But it did state..."...for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same." The lie and confusion is your's. Deal with it or remain a liar. Which is it?
Everybody who has a D&C has been given it. It has been revealed to them. The stupidity and ignorance is yours.
There are days it amazes me you can tie your own shoes with what you write.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds quite similar to what Jesus said, do what you are told and shut up!
6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
I don't see a "do it and shut up" statement. I see more of "it's your choice" statement.
But you are famous for seeing things that are not even there, like teachings for eternal marriage. LOL!!!!

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
More diversion tactics and allegations.
Produce your evidence.
You are the evidence.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evidence the Spaniards testified of it when they found the first chapters word for word of Genesis in their possession.
The fact is you just don't want to accept it as proof.
The fact is all you have done is make a claim, I have yet to see any proof.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's another Jesus said to do as I say and shut up or go to hell...
21 “Not everyone who says to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father (BUT ONLY THE ONE WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER)who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day,‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly,‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice (WHO HEARS THESE WORDS OF MINE AND PUTS THEM INTO PRACTICE) is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
Seems Monson understands what Jesus said better than you have allow for self comprehension as of yet, just saying :)
More evidence of your lack of reading comprehension, nothing more.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
As a non-Mormon on the web phrased up nicely, matching what Monson stated...
"When a person claims that one must accept Jesus as Lord to be saved but does not have to obey Jesus to be saved, he contradicts himself and He contradicts Jesus. It is like claiming you are lying in bed and running an Olympic marathon at the same time. One cannot run a marathon lying in bed, and one cannot accept Jesus as Lord without obeying Him."
That's nice.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...I don't even find it really interesting. Amusing maybe. This Grant claims to have inside information that could really hurt the church if it's true and he's gonna sit on it? That I find amusing.
Now ask me if I care.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the beginning of his doubts... "During this time the infamous Salamander Letter surfaced, challenging the orthodox story of Mormon beginnings, though the letter was eventually found to be a forgery. As an ardent student of LDS history the letter caused Palmer to consider the influences of American folk magic on Joseph Smith's religious practices." ...he continued his doubts. He found his own reasons to maintain his doubts. Now he projects in his writings that most of the apostles that have existed and do exist along with seventies have his same doubts. But their all buddy buddy and for the good of the Mormon church, their all going to remain liars and hypocrites of how they really feel as Grant feels and pretend to be faithful God fearing Mormon leaders.
If something sounds to good to be true, it usually isn't true.
Well, I'll look into it anyway, if you don't mind.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...speaking of a mind like a brick, we weren't speaking of what Jesus believed you goof, we were speaking of what the Sadducees said of what they had no belief in. Get the conversation straight or leave it, give me a fricking break from your lack of memory please???
You claim the Old Testament was all there yet when he made his statement. I showing hit was by the fact he quoted from many of the books. You are thicker today than usual, pitiful.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...that was pathetically funny but I'm not surprised by such a response lol. Either you are really brain dead for comprehension or you responded ignorantly because you could, which is it?
I was posting like you do. How does your medicine taste?

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
and the hieroglyphics came from the Nephites in the Book of Mormon...
The Nephites escaped from Jerusalem before the Nebuchadnezzar took the Jews into Captivity. About 587 B.C.
Lehi was an educated man who wrote Hebrew language in Egyptian Hieroglyphs... The language became abbreviated and into a language of it's own to save space on the plates they had available to them for writing their history.
How does one write Hebrew in Egyptian "Hieroglyphs"? To write in Hebrew, you would need to use Hebrew characters.

Since: Jun 09

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>

As far as you statement above... that is your opinion, and nothing more.
Not my opinion,, check the Book of Mormon, and what BYU says:
Mormons grow up with the belief that Native Americans are somehow related to a lost tribe from Israel. That tribe, they are told, came across the ocean about 600 B.C. to America, led by an otherwise unknown Jewish prophet named "Lehi."

To a Mormon this story is history, but to historians it is simply a fiction, concocted by Joseph Smith within his "Book of Mormon." The complete lack of any objective archaeological or historical proof to support such a story is explained away by Mormon apologists to the faithful. Mormons appear to believe that faith, makes fiction fact. But archaeologists, linguists and genetic experts, outside the subculture of Mormonism, have known for some time that Native Americans actually originated from Asia and not Israel.

Science and faith have increasingly collided as the Mormon religion continues on from its early beginnings. Confronted by historical evidence that repeatedly disproves their holy book, Mormons have long hoped for some artifact or research that would support their faith. Some felt that day might have indeed come through research at The Mormon Church-owned Brigham Young University in Provo, where genetic tests were being done during 2000.

Mormon doctrine claims that Lehi's children eventually became two warring factions, which included the good, white Nephites and the bad, brown Lamanites. The Lamanites, eventually killed all the Nephites by 500 A.D. But the bad, brown Laminates continued to live on and are now called Native Americans.

The Book of Mormon originally stated that when Lamanites converted they would then become "white and delightsome." In 1981 the church decided to replace the word "white" with "pure." It has been said that such Mormon beliefs reflect racism. And though every faithful male Mormon may enter its priesthood, blacks were excluded until 1978. Based upon such stories about the Lamanites, modern Mormon missionaries today often feel called to proselytize amongst aboriginal cultures in South America and the Pacific Islands.

At a temple dedication in Ecuador during 1999 Mormon President Gordon B. Hickley said, "It has been a very interesting thing to see the descendants of Father Lehi in the congregations that have gathered in the temple. So very many of these people have the blood of Lehi in their veins, and it is just an intriguing thing to see their tremendous response and their tremendous interest."

At BYU they also appeared to be intrigued by the "blood of Lehi." Mormon researchers there gathered DNA samples from 100,000 volunteers around the world, which included South America and Israel. They hoped somehow to prove the claims made more than a century ago by Joseph Smith, that there is a connection between ancient Israel and modern Native Americans. Mormons often seem fixated upon genealogy as a religious preoccupation.

But credible scientists, outside of Mormon apologists, say no Israelites ever came to America 2,600 years ago. There is no linguistic or archaeological trace of such a culture. Michael Crawford, a University of Kansas professor of biological anthropology and author of Origins of Native Americans, Cambridge University Press stated emphatically, "I don't think there is one iota of evidence that suggests a lost tribe from Israel made it all the way to the New World. It is a great story, slain by ugly fact,"

Ironically, the database compiled by BYU can only conclude that there is no evidence of a Native American/Israel connection. In fact, no DNA study at any university has ever demonstrated otherwise. However, it is doubtful that BYU would ever release any research that could potentially prove embarrassing to the church

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Read a book...

above I gave you a list to start from.

I can't read it for you. I've been telling you to read books from that list for a year now. Yet, you have not opened a book to educate yourself.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Cfoote wrote:
<quoted text>
To a Mormon this story is history, but to historians it is simply a fiction, concocted by Joseph Smith within his "Book of Mormon."
If you know so much about what you are talking about... then you will realize there is no way for an uneducated man to set up the Church without help.

Do you think farm boy, with little education, can write the Book of Mormon (with no conflicting statements) and keep it all straight in a 3 month time frame?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one write Hebrew in Egyptian "Hieroglyphs"? To write in Hebrew, you would need to use Hebrew characters.
That is not what I said...

He wrote in Egyptian Hieroglyphs the spoken word of Hebrew... Few men were able to have this knowledge... He was among few that traveled to Egypt as part of their trade most likely because Lehi had a trading business in the area..

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You will not read a book... do you declare you can be shown without looking at the evidence for yourself?

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Read a book...
above I gave you a list to start from.
I can't read it for you. I've been telling you to read books from that list for a year now. Yet, you have not opened a book to educate yourself.
So, which one tells about the Native Americans have Genesis? Because you know what? I don't think you've read them either. I think you found a list on the web and just reposted it, Carol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,041 - 22,060 of31,770
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

South Salt Lake Jobs

•••
•••
•••

South Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance