Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32093 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22410 Mar 19, 2013
8. Many Mormon historians inform us that Joseph Smith seems to have revealed Mormonism along the lines of occult practices found in Europe in the 1600's, spiced with Masonry and mainstream Protestantism. This includes a fascination by Smith with all things related to Jupiter (the birth-sign of Smith), astrology, and treasure-digging. Smith's reputation as a treasure-digger followed him everywhere, which he hotly denied. A court record discovered in 1971 from New York, proved that Smith had once been arrested and fined for "treasure-scrying" or soliciting to dig up buried Egyptian treasure.

9. The Utah Mormon movement has not been forthcoming about the facts of Smith's restoration, and has even altered the original Book of Mormon thousands of times to make it more consistent with itself. The main Church historical vaults are sealed to even devout members of the church. Mormon historians have been excommunicated for not presenting a politically viable picture of early Mormonism.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22411 Mar 19, 2013
And, last but not least...

10. The secrecy surrounding Mormon Church finances and funding is equally suspicious. It seems the Mormon Church holds such power and sway over its members that it demands absolute trust, and gets it, even though the church does not trust them back enough to let them know where donated tithing money is being spent. Mormons raise more money per-capita than any other church in the world. Some speculate that it is SO MUCH that to divulge the amount would dissuade most people from even donating. Mormon tithes are mandatory, or one is immediately eligible for damnation. Mormon tithes are not used for charity, but are used to build the kingdom. Mormons are promised that they will receive a "four-fold increase" in wealth from their tithes, yet Utah remains one of the poorest states in the US, ranking 45th in per-wage-earner income, despite being ranked the highest in "charitable contributions." The Mormon Church aggressively promotes large families, and just as aggressively promotes conservative political reforms that will strip those families of their meager government education and health-care assistance.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22412 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Now, getting back to you:
<quoted text>
So what?
<quoted text>
You still aren't making a point as far as I'm concern.
<quoted text>
No, teaching that black skin is a curse is discrimination. Teaching that Native Americans are the color they are because their ancestors were cursed is discrimination. Thinking Jesus is the same color as you are isn't, it is an example of their love of Christ, wanting him to be the same color as they are. I don't care what color he was, I love him. And I would be just as happy to have an image of Christ that was black, brown, yellow, red, or even Vulcan green. What he did for me is what matters.
<quoted text>
I don't know what you're talking about, Mormons aren't a race, it is a chosen belief system. And I don't even hate Mormons, I hate Mormonism, an evil teaching that leads others from the true gospel of Jesus Christ.
So what! That's what I was saying in response to your whining about what a bad Mormon family you had and how that shows Mormonism is all wrong to you.
Jesus was an Israelite. And Jesus would have been medium tan to brown or dark brown depending on the colour of Mary and her parents. So Jesus wasn't anything but an Israelite. So you're wrong that anybody can look like an Israelite looked like 2000 years ago.
Well people whine about what a bad Christian family they had, your Christian religion and that to them proves how Christianity is all wrong to them. Seems since your a Christian, you'd be attending problems in your own back Christian yard before you tried to clean some one else's Mormon back yard.
Why don't you go find some non-white Mormons and ask them why they accept what you think is a doctrine based on racism and discrimination? You're the one with the issue. You want to understand this better? Go search out and find non-white Mormon members and ask if they agree with your logic that they have been duped into a racist discriminating doctrine and ask why they accept it?
I'll tell you a humorous tale that is actually true. I asked the question to an active Native American Indian that was a best friend of mine. I asked how did he accept that it was taught his skin was a cursing from his ancestors. He looked at me as if that was a dumb question and said cause God told him he was a dirty little varmit to begin with in the pre-mortal life and deserved his cursing...lolol. After laughing he told me in a serious tone that he prayed about it and the Spirit said it was the truth. That the cursing on one individual, no matter what the cursing was, would and could fall upon the descendants of that initial person who was cursed. But he than added the curse is a piece of history and has no bearing on what is taking place now. And to know that difference comes from the Spirit, not man. He said man teaches racism and so did God through out the OT. But the Spirit teaches truth and sometimes the truth will offend even the very elect so that they will disbelieve the truth.
Do your own research, I guarantee you'll get some surprising answers.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22413 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
What does him being wrong about elephants have to do with him being right about horses?
Man can you be thick at times. Let me try this again.
Your source said the BOM was wrong/incorrect because elephants and horses hadn't been found in the Americas.
Your source made this claim without checking sources. Your source made a claim without proving no evidence as of yet had been found to show elephants had been to the Americas ever.
The fact is that Mayans 2000 years ago were carving the heads of modern elephants into there buildings. Now no bones have been found of modern elephants. Only stone carvings of elephant heads. You can't make an image of something that exists if you have never seen it. Not possible. No animal existed 2000 years ago in the Americas that a Mayan could have seen and thought, "Gee, I'll draw something a bit different than this animal so in 2000 years from now, people will see it looks exactly like an animal that actually exists on another continent!"
Your source, as you do it, are presupposed to the idiocy of thought that "If it doesn't exist, it never has existed." That's a stupid thinks, stupid will say phrase.
Just because stone carvings of a horse or the bones of a modern horse dated to 2000 years ago don't exist, that doesn't mean they never existed here. It means there is no present evidence for their existence.
Things that once existed can be lost to time. Need an example? Ever hear of the Nazca people of the south western US? They came into this country all the way from Peru. They made entire cities out of multi-story buildings with roads connecting these cities and thrived for a long while. It took less than 5 centuries for their descendants to lose all information about them. Lost the knowledge of building multi-story buildings, lost the knowledge of how to build roads, etc. They lost their language, lost the knowledge of where they came from and why they came to this part of the Americas and don't know why they all suddenly disappeared into time.
Just because something doesn't exist at present, that doesn't mean it never existed. Get it?

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22414 Mar 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lololol......fricking to much.....to much laughter....sore tummy....
Of course the church would deny marrying a couple a second time! That's illegal! But minus the marriage ceremony that takes place in public or in a temple, the couple can have all the other rites and sealings that a couple marrying in the temple receives. What was your point????? lolol........
Phony laughter and intentional ignorance isn't going to save Mormonism, but it does make you look the fool.
My point has been made and if you don't get it, you just don't want to.

Marysville, CA

#22415 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone's opinion has NOTHING to do with proving the CHURCH true or false. Heck as far as we know the person submitting a comment to the blog could be an anti-Mormon in disguise just making things up (LYING).
You are reaching, you are twisting and trying to manipulate the subject.
It's is proving that even some Mormons are in agreement that church policy on the matter is wrong.

Marysville, CA

#22416 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is not Carol, and I never said a word about anyone coming to beat you up. LIAR!
And, it's the risk you take when you subject yourself as a business man on the Internet soliciting Mormon's to send you cigarettes for laughs.
I have the right to look up anything I want to find if it is true or not... what hidden agenda's the person has.
and you are a LIAR if you say otherwise... otherwise I would have had the police knocking at my door and I haven't
I would have to care to have the police knocking at your door. I don't. But I would even bear my testimony that you are Carol. If it quacks like a duck....

Marysville, CA

#22417 Mar 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Making sure people are happy rather than being unhappy or unsatisfied was never a real care of God's any where in the Bible. Are you married? Do you have a family? Did some one just die? Tough fricking fruit cake. God doesn't care what you have or what's going on in your life if you love him and believe in him, share with the poor or else. Go preach his gospel and visit the widows and needy and impart of your substance to them. Leave your family and get on that mission! Go from town to town and city to city till he calls you home. Don't lust! Don't be angry! Love those that hate you and use you. If some one hits you, let them hit you again and you better be forgiving them! And if you offend a single innocent person, you better go find a body of water and commit suicide and drown yourself for your action has no forgiveness in this life.
lolol....and you think Mormon temple marriages promote so much sadness and unhappy family relationships? lol...fricking get a Net Testament reality check dude! lol...
So it's God's policy to have two different standards on this? Your panties are sure in a wad today.

Marysville, CA

#22418 Mar 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
So what! That's what I was saying in response to your whining about what a bad Mormon family you had and how that shows Mormonism is all wrong to you.
Jesus was an Israelite. And Jesus would have been medium tan to brown or dark brown depending on the colour of Mary and her parents. So Jesus wasn't anything but an Israelite. So you're wrong that anybody can look like an Israelite looked like 2000 years ago.
So what? I've already indicated I could care less what color he was. It isn't important.
Well people whine about what a bad Christian family they had, your Christian religion and that to them proves how Christianity is all wrong to them. Seems since your a Christian, you'd be attending problems in your own back Christian yard before you tried to clean some one else's Mormon back yard.
And Jesus said:
Matthew 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Why don't you go find some non-white Mormons and ask them why they accept what you think is a doctrine based on racism and discrimination? You're the one with the issue. You want to understand this better? Go search out and find non-white Mormon members and ask if they agree with your logic that they have been duped into a racist discriminating doctrine and ask why they accept it?
Been there, done that. When they saw what what said, they had left the church. Young sermons on the issue is hardly discussed in Sunday School anymore.
I'll tell you a humorous tale that is actually true. I asked the question to an active Native American Indian that was a best friend of mine. I asked how did he accept that it was taught his skin was a cursing from his ancestors. He looked at me as if that was a dumb question and said cause God told him he was a dirty little varmit to begin with in the pre-mortal life and deserved his cursing...lolol. After laughing he told me in a serious tone that he prayed about it and the Spirit said it was the truth. That the cursing on one individual, no matter what the cursing was, would and could fall upon the descendants of that initial person who was cursed. But he than added the curse is a piece of history and has no bearing on what is taking place now. And to know that difference comes from the Spirit, not man. He said man teaches racism and so did God through out the OT. But the Spirit teaches truth and sometimes the truth will offend even the very elect so that they will disbelieve the truth.
Do your own research, I guarantee you'll get some surprising answers.
That is sad that the LDS church has brainwashed him so badly his mind has been warped to that degree. He is wonderfully and perfectly made in the eyes of God. It was a perverted racist pervert who created the lie that dark skin is a curse from God. You one example from an deceived person isn't proof of anything. Yet I've shown the thoughts of more than one Mormon on the issue of temple marriage delays for no legit reason, and you just pretend "all is well in Zion."

By the way, it was the Spirit along with what the Bible actually taught, that lead me to leave the Mormon church.

John 4:23-24(NASB)

23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

Marysville, CA

#22419 Mar 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Man can you be thick at times. Let me try this again.
Your source said the BOM was wrong/incorrect because elephants and horses hadn't been found in the Americas.
Your source made this claim without checking sources. Your source made a claim without proving no evidence as of yet had been found to show elephants had been to the Americas ever.
The fact is that Mayans 2000 years ago were carving the heads of modern elephants into there buildings. Now no bones have been found of modern elephants. Only stone carvings of elephant heads. You can't make an image of something that exists if you have never seen it. Not possible. No animal existed 2000 years ago in the Americas that a Mayan could have seen and thought, "Gee, I'll draw something a bit different than this animal so in 2000 years from now, people will see it looks exactly like an animal that actually exists on another continent!"
Your source, as you do it, are presupposed to the idiocy of thought that "If it doesn't exist, it never has existed." That's a stupid thinks, stupid will say phrase.
Just because stone carvings of a horse or the bones of a modern horse dated to 2000 years ago don't exist, that doesn't mean they never existed here. It means there is no present evidence for their existence.
Things that once existed can be lost to time. Need an example? Ever hear of the Nazca people of the south western US? They came into this country all the way from Peru. They made entire cities out of multi-story buildings with roads connecting these cities and thrived for a long while. It took less than 5 centuries for their descendants to lose all information about them. Lost the knowledge of building multi-story buildings, lost the knowledge of how to build roads, etc. They lost their language, lost the knowledge of where they came from and why they came to this part of the Americas and don't know why they all suddenly disappeared into time.
Just because something doesn't exist at present, that doesn't mean it never existed. Get it?
And just because something doesn't exist at present, it means it always use to be present. The claim is yours, the burden of proof is yours. Get it?

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22420 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes in fact... nothing regarding me posting it yesterday had anything of importance to do with you. I posted it as a memorable moment... my first thread here.
It had nothing to you.
And I posted my opinion regarding your statement, you know cause it's a forum. A memorable moment ? Lol what was memorable about it ?

Marysville, CA

#22421 Mar 19, 2013
When the LDS church makes a policy change, it's because they are losing members. Here is a new policy change: http://www.chicoer.com/national/ci_22822699/a...

I bet old Packer pissed his pants over this outrage! LOL!!!!

Since: Sep 12

Ava, MO

#22422 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you condemned a guest for making money by recycling aluminum, plastic, and bottles (which included soda and beer bottles).
Wow! Good to see you all are still at it. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think you are referring to me. It wasn't Dana who "condemned me for recycling aluminum beer cans. It was a woman who goes by the name of "Pearl." :-)

“I will not keep calm”

#22423 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
If you claim to be a Christian, and you claim to be a Mormon...
what is your problem? The name of this thread is:
Do you, or do you not? If yes then act like it, if no then state so.
I don't need advice from the most unchrist like person on the forum. Thanks anyway.

“I will not keep calm”

#22424 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words Not Ashamed, shut up and do what you are told! LOL!!!!
Lmbo. Haha I love you. I think we both know shutting up abd doing what I'm told isn't my style.

“I will not keep calm”

#22425 Mar 19, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Good to see you all are still at it. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think you are referring to me. It wasn't Dana who "condemned me for recycling aluminum beer cans. It was a woman who goes by the name of "Pearl." :-)
Hey crazy!!!! Good to see you, I've missed you cause........you make me laugh :)

“I will not keep calm”

#22426 Mar 19, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
what is wrong with recycling beer cans ?
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22427 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's God's policy to have two different standards on this? Your panties are sure in a wad today.
Do you know gods policy? Do you know who really wrote the bible? You Rejected Peter as prophet. Did he write in the bible? You assume you know gods policy. But you really don't.

Ava, MO

#22428 Mar 19, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> what is wrong with recycling beer cans ?
In a nutshell,if memory serves me correctly, she was saying that by me collecting and recycling aluminum beer cans, the beer industry was paying me, making me a hypocrite.

Ava, MO

#22429 Mar 19, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> Hey crazy!!!! Good to see you, I've missed you cause........you make me laugh :)
Awww... thanks.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Sun John 34
Is everyone there Mormon (Apr '16) Mar 24 wormwood 23
Review: Parker Welding (May '14) Mar 23 sm layton 17
Review: IloveKickboxing West Valley City Mar 23 Sarah Rodriguez 26
last post wins! (Jul '11) Mar 21 Hatti_Hollerand 376
Colvard Learning offering free literacy program... Mar 17 MarlanWarren 1
Concealed Carry Classes at the International Sp... Mar 15 EQUIP2CONCEALCLASS 1

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance