Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32093 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22039 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Not. If the new covenant actually replaced the old covenant that the temple symbolically represented, Jesus logically would never have went to the temple because his existence would have invalidated it's meaning from his birth. He would never have defended it. He would have allowed to temple to be used as it was and would have never of defended it's unholy usage because his birth would have rendered the temple un-holy in purpose. It would have held no more specialness than a common synagogue.
But hone of that happened nor was any of that said.
Jesus defended the temple and it's purpose and it's usage and never declared it's ending or non-usage.
12And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.13And He said to them,“It is written,‘MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER’; but you are making it a ROBBERS’ DEN.”
How would going into a build invalidated it? The new covenant didn't begin until his resurrection.

"God does not dwell in temples made with human hands"

The early church never built one, or commanded it's need.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22040 Mar 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what Jesus said, but you aren't paying attention. You can lead a horse to water....
Yes, I know what he said and I know what he didn't say.

12And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.13And He said to them,“It is written,‘MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER’; but you are making it a ROBBERS’ DEN.”

Jesus defended the correct usage of the temple. He defended it's usage as a place for sacrifice, prayer, rituals and miracles.
I know that Jesus never said the usage of the temple would become obsolete.
And I know you call Jesus a liar. You call him a liar because you claim Paul taught after the death of Jesus that all that Jesus taught concerning the temple was incorrect and wrong and had no usage as Jesus declared it had.
I know you teach temples aren't needed.
I know you believe God will never have his people build another temple.
I know what you believe and I know what Jesus taught. I'll staick with what Jesus taught, not what you call him a liar of being.

Marysville, CA

#22041 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You stand fast as your own pathetic liar. You didn't have to resort to being a liar. But you chose to be a liar than to make a statement against what I actually said. So you decided to make an out right pathetic lie and for what purpose? What purpose is your lying serving you? It only proves how far from being a Christian you are. An actual Christian avoids lying. You go out of your way to lie.
My original statement was...
"I'll use your reasoning here...lol. Mormons (according to you) aren't Christians so (according to your logic that they aren't Christians)I don't have to hold them to being what they claim you say they aren't."
...now no where in that statement did I say it was my opinion that Mormon's weren't Christians. I said no such thing. You made yourself a liar saying I did say that. You said that because you like to lie and you see nothing wrong with lying as you accuse others of doing.
You said in a most pathetic twisted out right ungodly lying response...
"Well, thank you for admitting that Mormons aren't Christian and therefore they don't have to act as such."
...I admitted no such thing. I stated what you believe. And you took what I said, twisted it purposefully into an ungodly pathetic out right lie and lied to say I said what I didn't say was my opinion.
And why? Why the lie from your un-Christian lips? Because as you so accuse Mormons of not being Christians, so with your lies and filthy speech are you proving neither are you a Christian.
If you don't hold Mormons to the same standards you are trying to apply to me, you are admitting that Mormons aren't Christian.
That's the fact, Jack. Even other Mormons are ashamed of Carols actions and wish she wouldn't represent their church.
If you were so sensitive to my language, you would as offended by hers. The fact you are OK with what she is posting just shows you don't really care what is being said. You have no interest in the truth, asnd just want to make a cheap shot. You are a hypocrite.
Justification isn't going to save Mormonism.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22042 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians KNOW what Jesus did in the Temple, but we (those who accept salvation) are now the temple. Now, church? That's a different thing, and you can have church in a barn. Mormon temples are idolatry and NOT where God dwells.
Christians don't have the foggiest notion of what went on in a temple. Christians don't believe in them or their existence except that the Bible states they did exist once. Christians think the temple was for Jews of the old covenant only.
Unfortunately modern Christians don't understand Jesus represented the new covenant and he still attended the temple and viewed it as a house of worship as he did with synagogues.
So Christians in their quest to deny the value of temples, they don't understand Jesus said nothing of their ultimate destruction and never to be used again.
It's a traditional teaching of Christians that temples aren't needed any more. That's not a teaching from the lips of Jesus.

Marysville, CA

#22043 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate is truth for those that hate the truth :)
Yes, that is Carol. Thank you.:^)

Marysville, CA

#22044 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no. That isn't all you said. You said a few times that temples weren't needed any more. You stated that. You misconstrued what Paul said to show your opinion that temples are no longer needed for any purpose because our bodies our the temple of God.
Want me to go back and paste your statements?
I wasn't debating that there wasn't anything that stated we still needed temples. I wasn't debating about endowments.
You said/insinuated the temples God had made men build, we no longer needed. You said that after the ascension the temples God had his people build we no longer needed.
I said God said no such thing.
I said Jesus said no such thing.
I said Paul said no such thing.
I said it was your opinion that temples aren't needed, not Jesus's opinion and not Paul's opinion.
If temples weren't needed as God had used them for who knows how long, Jesus would have said something or and Paul would have said something to the effect that the temples God had his people build, they would never be built again.
But neither said any such thing. Jesus preached it's importance and called it "..his house of worship."
"God does not dwell in temples made with human hands."
"Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.”
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22045 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
argue with Jesus, not me :)
I'm not arguing with anyone, including you. I (like you) am making a simple statement. Mormons are NOT Christians, and the temple is NOTHING more than a building. "Houses of Prayer" can be anywhere. God does not live in your temples - in secret and reveal Himself to only YOU. He lives in our (believers) hearts and is everywhere. Because of Joseph Smith's background in the occult, he made a new religion which synthesized the marriage of the occult with elements of Christianity. What is taught today is heresy and Mormonism is a cult - nothing more and nothing less.

Marysville, CA

#22046 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians don't have the foggiest notion of what went on in a temple. Christians don't believe in them or their existence except that the Bible states they did exist once. Christians think the temple was for Jews of the old covenant only.
Unfortunately modern Christians don't understand Jesus represented the new covenant and he still attended the temple and viewed it as a house of worship as he did with synagogues.
So Christians in their quest to deny the value of temples, they don't understand Jesus said nothing of their ultimate destruction and never to be used again.
It's a traditional teaching of Christians that temples aren't needed any more. That's not a teaching from the lips of Jesus.
Of course Christian know what happened in the temple, it has been spelled out in the Old Testament and in Hebrews in the New Testament.

It's ashamed you don't know, or you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

The church(the body of believers, not a building) is the new temple:
"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to BECOME A HOLY TEMPLE in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit." (Ephesians 2: 19-22)
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22047 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who has read the Bible knows what went on in the temples. It isn't a secret that only you understand. Sacrifice - the Holy of Holy's - Priests, etc.- NOT NECESSARY anymore! Jesus did it ONCE FOR ALL. We no longer need to cut the throats of sheep or goats on an alter for remission of sins. Our sins are covered today by the Blood of Christ. Sheep and goat sacrifices were the "old covenant" and Jesus' sacrifice ushered in the "new covenant" you speak of. Temples were JEWISH (not Mormon) as THEY were and still are God's chosen people. However, you and I can be "adopted" into His family by accepting His atonement. All the rituals you perform today in the temple are nothing more than idolatry.
Sockiepuppet

Lufkin, TX

#22048 Mar 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is Carol. Thank you.:^)
How many carols are on here?
You've called at least 3 ppl carol.
?????

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22050 Mar 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
How would going into a build invalidated it? The new covenant didn't begin until his resurrection.
"God does not dwell in temples made with human hands"
The early church never built one, or commanded it's need.
The new covenant began when Jesus began to preach his gospel when just a boy. People that listened to his gospel and converted to his reasoning were accepting his new covenant. Jesus continued to established his new covenant through his disciples when he was alive, not after he died. His disciples continued to preach his new covenant after his death.
It is an irrational Christian traditional belief to place an explicit time period to when the new covenant began when it actually began the first time he began to preach it as a child.

And you can make Paul's claim of the body being the temple all day long and you'll be correct. The human body has been a temple of God since he created Adam and Eve if you want to get specific.
But you're failing to understand what Paul said. People were worshipping in temples and to statues that God didn't build. That is why Paul was telling those idolatrous people that his God didn't dwell in the temples or statues that they had made. Paul wasn't speaking about the temple existing that God had authorized to be built by the hands of his people.
Why you want to confuse those two separate things to make them one and the same is beyond my understanding.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22051 Mar 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't hold Mormons to the same standards you are trying to apply to me, you are admitting that Mormons aren't Christian.
That's the fact, Jack.
lol...absolutely not! You're twisting what I said to make another lie! Why don't you quit?
You stated dozens of times in this thread alone... "MORMONS AREN'T CHRISTIANS." You have said that so many times it's not even funny.
So according to your reasoning which you claim is true and factual, since you claim Mormons aren't Christians by YOUR REASONING THAT MORMON'S AREN'T CHRISTIANS I can't judge them by Christian standards.
THAT'S YOUR FRICKING REASONING, NOT MINE.
Are you getting it yet? According to your reasoning that Mormons aren't Christians, using your reasoning(not mine)I can't judge a person by Christian standards when you have stated and claimed their not Christians!
But I can judge you by Christian standards because you have claimed you are a Christian. THAT'S YOUR FACTUAL REASONING JACK, NOT MINE :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22052 Mar 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
"God does not dwell in temples made with human hands."
"Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.”
You read a sentence and take it as you want it to mean and you'll be forever wrong to do that.
The temple in Jerusalem was in operation till 70ad when it was destroyed by non-believers like yourself that desecrated what Jesus proclaimed was HIS HOUSE OF WORSHIP.
That temple didn't come apart at Jesus's death. And the fact that an outer wall of the temple still factually exists proves Jesus wasn't speaking of the temple he was defending.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22053 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>The new covenant began when Jesus began to preach his gospel when just a boy. People that listened to his gospel and converted to his reasoning were accepting his new covenant. Jesus continued to established his new covenant through his disciples when he was alive, not after he died. His disciples continued to preach his new covenant after his death. It is an irrational Christian traditional belief to place an explicit time period to when the new covenant began when it actually began the first time he began to preach it as a child.
What scriptures support THIS ^^^ idea? I don't know of one. The new covenant was the new way sins were covered - the only way we can even experience "covenant relationship" with God.
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>And you can make Paul's claim of the body being the temple all day long and you'll be correct. The human body has been a temple of God since he created Adam and Eve if you want to get specific. But you're failing to understand what Paul said. People were worshipping in temples and to statues that God didn't build. That is why Paul was telling those idolatrous people that his God didn't dwell in the temples or statues that they had made. Paul wasn't speaking about the temple existing that God had authorized to be built by the hands of his people.
Why you want to confuse those two separate things to make them one and the same is beyond my understanding.
You keep using ^ THIS TEXT ^ over and over and over again and it proves exactly nothing, except that it is a "house of prayer" and that is NOT what Mormons consider their temples today at all. THAT is where true idolatry takes place. Tell us "lowlifes" what goes on in there! No, it's a big secret. Well, God is NO RESPECTOR OF PERSONS! You don't have the inside track, Buddy, and neither do your cronies there in the Mormon Church. In fact, you are deveived.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22054 Mar 15, 2013
deceived
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22055 Mar 15, 2013
Mormons aren't Christians because NO TRUE CHRISTIAN believes that they will one day be equal to God - or even close. We will bow down and worship the One True God. You think you'll be one! Puh-lease!

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22056 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not arguing with anyone, including you. I (like you) am making a simple statement. Mormons are NOT Christians, and the temple is NOTHING more than a building. "Houses of Prayer" can be anywhere. God does not live in your temples - in secret and reveal Himself to only YOU. He lives in our (believers) hearts and is everywhere. Because of Joseph Smith's background in the occult, he made a new religion which synthesized the marriage of the occult with elements of Christianity. What is taught today is heresy and Mormonism is a cult - nothing more and nothing less.
I've made a simple statement. Christians aren't Christians. Christians deny more teachings of Jesus and the apostles then they actually believe. They deny the church Jesus built. They deny God might speak to us through a prophet. They claim all that's needed of God is in a book with a beginning and an ending. They claim God has nothing new to tell those of us living 2000 years later. Many deny his baptism. Many teach a specific thing and reject the rest.
If any one has proved their not a Christian, it's Christians.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22057 Mar 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I've made a simple statement. Christians aren't Christians. Christians deny more teachings of Jesus and the apostles then they actually believe. They deny the church Jesus built. They deny God might speak to us through a prophet. They claim all that's needed of God is in a book with a beginning and an ending. They claim God has nothing new to tell those of us living 2000 years later. Many deny his baptism. Many teach a specific thing and reject the rest.
If any one has proved their not a Christian, it's Christians.
We believe Christ's teachings - ALL OF THEM - and we don't twist and turn His words to suit our own agendas. We don't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet because he wasn't. He was a former cult member who made up his own religion to support his own lusts. He wanted more than one woman and created a religion to justify it. I can't help it that there were people stupid enough to go along with it. Anyway, God created Adam and Eve - THAT was His original plan. One man + One woman = Marriage. Period. Also, why has Smith's "enlightenment" changed over the years? God doesn't change, but you folks change according to what you want to embrace at the time. That is not the God I know or even want to serve. You keep right on serving that wishy-washy one all you'd like. It'll get you nowhere and especially not to Heaven!

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22058 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously wrote:
A Mormon is not a Christian. He/she is a deceived person - believing things the Bible NEVER taught. How about explaining the God and Mary "copulating" to conceive Jesus thing? What heresy! They don't teach you THAT little tidbit until you are so deeply indoctrinated (brainwashed) in the religion that you almost can't get out. That is a LIE from the very pit of Hell, but it is what they teach. No, Mormons are NOT Christians.
It's okay if you consider me not a Christian because I'm Mormon. I know that Jesus died for me and everyone. I know that is why I can again enter into the presence of my heavenly father.
Not to mention the fact that no religion makes any individual a Christian. The way we treat others follow his example and the love and tolerance we show to one another is how we show our christianity.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22059 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
What scriptures support THIS ^^^ idea? I don't know of one. The new covenant was the new way sins were covered - the only way we can even experience "covenant relationship" with God.
<quoted text>
You keep using ^ THIS TEXT ^ over and over and over again and it proves exactly nothing, except that it is a "house of prayer" and that is NOT what Mormons consider their temples today at all. THAT is where true idolatry takes place. Tell us "lowlifes" what goes on in there! No, it's a big secret. Well, God is NO RESPECTOR OF PERSONS! You don't have the inside track, Buddy, and neither do your cronies there in the Mormon Church. In fact, you are deveived.
Jesus's death was a symbolic point or beginning of the new covenant. What you aren't remembering is Jesus was teaching the doctrine of the new covenant before he ever died. Jesus was teaching people to let go of the old covenant of an eye for and eye etc and instead to forgive until it hurt, seventy times seventy.
Jesus taught the parable of the rich man and Lazarus to show his covenant was in effect because he was teaching it. He was using the new covenant before his death to forgive people their sins all the time.
You keep making a relationship of the temple 2000 years ago to Mormon temples. I haven't done that. I told you you were arguing with your self not me and you didn't understand.
Jesus's feelings about the temple which he called HIS HOUSE OF PRAYER doesn't prove anything about the existence of Mormon temples.
You said temples aren't needed. I argued you had no proof and you don't. I didn't argue to prove Mormon temples were right or wrong.
Understand? You said temples weren't needed and I said you had no proof and you don't to state that.
And God is a discriminator of persons when he wants to be. He favoured the Israelites for thousands of years and waged war against all others that opposed his people. God is a discriminator of people because when he came as Jesus, he came only to the Jews and not the dogs as he called them. You really need to read what the Bible states.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) 2 hr John 34
Is everyone there Mormon (Apr '16) Fri wormwood 23
Review: Parker Welding (May '14) Mar 23 sm layton 17
Review: IloveKickboxing West Valley City Mar 23 Sarah Rodriguez 26
last post wins! (Jul '11) Mar 21 Hatti_Hollerand 376
Colvard Learning offering free literacy program... Mar 17 MarlanWarren 1
Concealed Carry Classes at the International Sp... Mar 15 EQUIP2CONCEALCLASS 1

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance