Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#21560 Mar 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how do you separate the divine from the mistakes?
The Holy Ghost. We need the guidance of the Holy Ghost and modern prophets.

Location hidden

#21562 Mar 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see that Sam answered this question of your's yet so I'll try for you.
Sorry, I've been busy.

Location hidden

#21563 Mar 10, 2013
I DONT FEAR THE MAILTRUCK wrote:
What a bunch of
pure-evil,
DYED-in-the-WOOL,
P.S.Y.C.H.L.P.A.T.H.S you people are.
Who is this? Lets all just simmer down a bit and get back to the doctrine of Christ and move away from the name calling.

Location hidden

#21564 Mar 10, 2013
NOT ASHAMED SHOULD BE wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
<quoted text>
=========
"
Now, let me tell you something else.
Let me tell you what I won't do.
I WILL NOT teach my son that masturbation is wrong and if you show me one man( or woman for that matter) who has never done it I will gladly kiss your rear end...
I WILL NOT teach my kids that if they fall in love with someone of the same gender that they are bad people.
I WILL NOT be a cookie cutter Mormon."
-----
You're drunk on Mississippi gender bender extra-syllable wine & fried wild animal grease.
Why don't you stop lying while you're behind?
Good job. Run along and check out the Wal Mart Halloween ads for what to send the kids to church in fag-hag.
Whats up with the mixed aliases?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#21566 Mar 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel 37:22 says your wrong:
22 and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king will be king for all of them; and they will no longer be two nations and no longer be divided into two kingdoms.
It's not talking about a "Stick of Mormon." LOL!!!
The King of both will be the Lord. You can deny it all you want, but you won't win.

The Stick as in a Scroll/Plates (whatever to write upon)!!!!!!!!!

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#21567 Mar 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I never stated works bring salvation.
Let me say that again. I never stated works bring salvation.
So you're a liar to state and infer that is what I said. You're a liar by your own words.
Now grow up, stop resorting to your pathetic, childish lying and respond to what I actually said.
I said Jesus and James taught faith, works and grace brought salvation to the believer. Neither Jesus or James taught grace only brought salvation. Neither Jesus or James taught only faith brought salvation. Neither Jesus or James taught only works brought salvation. Jesus and James through out all of their words taught grace, faith and works brought salvation and nothing less.
If you wish to state other wise you will call Jesus and James liars which would not surprise me.
This is a fact... People can have faith on the Lord, but be evil, and do bad things. You must have faith and works... and do their DUTY... do right and act appropriate.

Location hidden

#21568 Mar 10, 2013
Oh gosh wrote:
Hey mormons, tell us about your god who was a man, where in the bible does it say that god was a man?
Isn't god eternal (uncreated)?
Read:
Rev 1:6 "And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father..." (whose father? God's Father. God has a Father)

John 5:19 Christ said that he has done nothing except he has seen the Father do it. This has many implications. One implication is that since Jesus Christ was born and was a man, so was the Father.

Here are a few Bible references about exaltation:

Phil 2:5-6 Jesus Christ didn't think it detracts from God to be equal with him.

Matt 5:48 Christ tells us to become like our Heavenly Father

1 John 3:2-3 When God appears we will see him as He is and if we have purified ourselves we will see that we are like Him.

Romans 8:16-17 We are the children of God, and if his children, then we can inherit what Christ inherited and be glorified with him.

Revelation 3:20-21 "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my thrown..."

Location hidden

#21569 Mar 10, 2013
Oh gosh wrote:
<quoted text>
Not literally like how u think! It's heresy!!!!
What is heresy?
Oh gosh

Salt Lake City, UT

#21570 Mar 10, 2013
Lol...u mormons are nut....so who is god's father and mother, who is his grandmother and grandfather...and great grandfather and great great grandfather?? Hahaha

Location hidden

#21571 Mar 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, Jesus nor James never taught that works brings salvation. You will not find a verse that says so. Salvation is ONLY through the grace of Jesus Christ, period. Faith will bring the good works, but the works do not save you. The fact you don't want to except that is your problem.
Romans 3:20

Romans 3:27

Romans 3:28

Galatians 2:16

Galatians 3:1-3 (NASB)
I know this is a long post, but please hear me out.

We are saved by grace, undoubtedly. I've established that before. But there are also things that Jesus asks us to do. If we truly accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we should be doers of the word and not hearers only.

You posted a lot of the words of Paul who at no time walked and talked with the mortal Messiah that we know of. Lets take a look at the words of Christ from just one of the gospels:

Matt 16:27 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
(Note: according to his works)

Matt 7:21 "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
(Note: we need to do the will of the Father in heaven to enter the kingdom of heaven)

Matt 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
(How we act and the person we become are important to God)

Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
(Its important to do good works and be an example to others)

Matt 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."
(We need to participate in the spreading of the Gospel and baptize)

Matt 3:15 Christ was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. If Christ had to be baptized to fulfill all righteousness how much more do we need to be baptized?

Works important? Yes

Are we saved by works? No

Do we need to DO something to be accepted into the Kingdom of God?
Yes, but that doesn't mean we are saved by anything we did.

Being saved by the grace of God is like driving to the food bank to get food to eat. You aren't filled with food by the act of driving there, but you can't be filled without driving there. You didn't feed yourself, you just put yourself in a position to be fed. Its still by the grace of those who provided the food that you were fed. It is by the grace of God we are saved, but we have to put ourselves in a position to be saved.

Location hidden

#21572 Mar 10, 2013
Oh gosh wrote:
Lol...u mormons are nut....so who is god's father and mother, who is his grandmother and grandfather...and great grandfather and great great grandfather?? Hahaha
That doesn't matter, because to us there is one God.

1 Cor 8:5-6 "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth,(as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#21573 Mar 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't even finish reading the rest of your post. Why? Because you began it on a lie.
Yes, you have shown many times that scripture is a lie to you. I've returned the favor and didn't even bother anything beyond that point because I know from your history it is just ignorance, denial, and BS.

The scriptures say your wrong. Therefore I will go with the scriptures. You can't even give one verse that says your works will save you. Not one.

Marysville, CA

#21574 Mar 10, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't matter, because to us there is one God.
1 Cor 8:5-6 "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth,(as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."
That verse is a declaration that there is only one true God. All the others are false, not that there are more real ones.

Marysville, CA

#21575 Mar 10, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this is a long post, but please hear me out.
We are saved by grace, undoubtedly. I've established that before. But there are also things that Jesus asks us to do. If we truly accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we should be doers of the word and not hearers only.
You posted a lot of the words of Paul who at no time walked and talked with the mortal Messiah that we know of. Lets take a look at the words of Christ from just one of the gospels:
Matt 16:27 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
(Note: according to his works)
Matt 7:21 "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
(Note: we need to do the will of the Father in heaven to enter the kingdom of heaven)
Matt 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
(How we act and the person we become are important to God)
Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
(Its important to do good works and be an example to others)
Matt 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."
(We need to participate in the spreading of the Gospel and baptize)
Matt 3:15 Christ was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. If Christ had to be baptized to fulfill all righteousness how much more do we need to be baptized?
Works important? Yes
Are we saved by works? No
Do we need to DO something to be accepted into the Kingdom of God?
Yes, but that doesn't mean we are saved by anything we did.
Being saved by the grace of God is like driving to the food bank to get food to eat. You aren't filled with food by the act of driving there, but you can't be filled without driving there. You didn't feed yourself, you just put yourself in a position to be fed. Its still by the grace of those who provided the food that you were fed. It is by the grace of God we are saved, but we have to put ourselves in a position to be saved.
You are in denial of your own churches teachings. According to Mormonism, you HAVE to be baptized by both water and the Holy Ghost(Spirit), by one who is ordained to do so. You HAVE to get MARRIED in the temple(I'm talking about getting God's best reward, because that is what I get by his grace) You HAVE to get temple endowment, and you HAVE to keep all the commandments and endure to the end.
That is the minimum. That is salvation by works, not by the grace of Jesus Christ.

Marysville, CA

#21576 Mar 10, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
What is heresy?
He is talking about the LDS teaching that God had sex with Mary to create Jesus Christ.

Location hidden

#21577 Mar 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
That verse is a declaration that there is only one true God. All the others are false, not that there are more real ones.
Did you get a chance to read my post above on grace and works?

Marysville, CA

#21578 Mar 10, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats up with the mixed aliases?
She is a lunatic. A nutjob, and a relative of Joseph Smith(According to her)

Location hidden

#21579 Mar 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are in denial of your own churches teachings. According to Mormonism, you HAVE to be baptized by both water and the Holy Ghost(Spirit), by one who is ordained to do so. You HAVE to get MARRIED in the temple(I'm talking about getting God's best reward, because that is what I get by his grace) You HAVE to get temple endowment, and you HAVE to keep all the commandments and endure to the end.
That is the minimum. That is salvation by works, not by the grace of Jesus Christ.
Sorry about the post above. When I looked at the forum your reply wasn't posted yet.

We don't HAVE to do anything. If we want to be saved, then we must put ourselves in a position to accept his saving grace.

Marysville, CA

#21580 Mar 10, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
The King of both will be the Lord. You can deny it all you want, but you won't win.
The Stick as in a Scroll/Plates (whatever to write upon)!!!!!!!!!
There has never been a book written on a "stick". If they had meant "scrolls" they would have said "scrolls". They are two completely different Hebrew words.

Marysville, CA

#21581 Mar 10, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you get a chance to read my post above on grace and works?
Yes, and have responded. just go up a few post and you'll see it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nurse Arrested For Refusing To Take Blood From ... 6 hr SARAHP 45
trump erodes protected monuments to corporations Dec 7 Wild Bill 4
stupid utah drivers (Feb '08) Dec 7 Ma Kettle 124
Is everyone there Mormon (Apr '16) Dec 7 Ma Kettle 29
News In slap at Romney, Trump says he wants Orrin Ha... Dec 6 Ecken 2
Justice for Kailey !! Dec 4 skynard 77 1
Apartments that forbid pitbulls in So SLC (May '16) Jun '16 ThomasA 4

South Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance