Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora

Jan 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Recordpub.com

About 120 members of United Steelworkers Local 8565 employed at Rotek Inc. went on strike Friday, January 18, according to a company spokesperson.

Comments (Page 128)

Showing posts 2,541 - 2,560 of4,637
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
truth

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Why We Need Labor Unions After All

By Dave Johnson

ďAll of a sudden it seems like there is a movement afoot of people saying weíre going to push back.ĒďAnd you know what? There should be a pushback.Ē

Henry Blodgett, in Why We Need Labor Unions After All.

ď
Anyway, it would be great if companies would start sharing their wealth voluntarily. But, as yet, with a couple of notable exceptions (Apple recently gave its store employees a raise it didnít need to give them), theyíve shown no signs of doing that.

So if companies canít be persuaded to do this on their own, maybe itís time for executives to rethink their view of labor unions.

Even the business community (the ones who care about the country and its people anyway) recognize that things are waaaayyyyout of balance, and we need labor unions to push back against the greed. Working people canít take on the immense power of giant corporations alone, People banding together so they have collective power at least have a chance.
truth

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Why We Need Labor Unions

I Know, I Know....

Do any of you remember the promise of America? You know, the reason all of our relatives immigrated here in the first place? The promise of a good job for all, the opportunity to have a rewarding career, and the chance for a life that was more than just going to work and coming home? Yeah, that promise, now it's all coming back to you, isn't it? With the tax cuts and all the restrictions placed on corporate America today, corporations are looking to cut back everywhere they can; they want to save every dollar so those saved dollars can go into the pockets of the highest ranking employees and the shareholders of the companies. These companies first cut the number of jobs to the bare minimum. Then, they cut the pay for any new hires. Benefits?? Forgettaboutit!! Benefits can cost a non-union employee,$88.00 per week; if he or she wants to add their spouse, I've seen benefits as high as $178.00/week!! That way of life is unsustainable for a lower waged worker. Myself, for example could not afford to pay $680.00 a month for med/den/vis benefits for my wife and I, yet, if I was forced to take that employer's offer, we would have had to go without medical coverage.

So, what is my point to all the blather?? Well, the only way to get anywhere close to the promise of America in today's economy is to get our lower and middle class workers into a labor union!! We need to get back to the days when 1 out of 3 of this country's workers belonged to a labor union!! Then, and only then, will we return to the promise of America that the parents of the baby boomer generation enjoyed!!

The Sad State Of Affairs In Our Country

How have we turned so far away from Labor Unions in this great country of ours? Yeah, I realize that a lot of the reasoning behind the anti-union sentiment is from the bottom line watchers; but still - Labor Unions built this country and got it into the progressive future of industrialization. For this great nation to be force fed a diet of anti-union propaganda on a daily basis from the political leaders and the heads of big industry is a shame. Those same leaders have more than likely never held a really crappy minimum wage job - nor were they abused by harsh working conditions or verbally abused and threatened by their supervisors. When you get a chance, take a look at this story about our brothers and sisters that work at the Motts plant in New York state. This is a real eye opener if you have not been following it, pretty much the way big industry tries to bully the labor force it has working for them.
wow

Mentor, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

truth your lengthy posts are anoying and nobody reads them. we all skip over them not interesting at all. its too bad you don't post stuff relevant to the rotek lockout.
d pantz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

keep voting for these guys. You're right, its getting better. You're doing better! Not to mention all the new corporate tax loopholes in the fiscal cliff deal obama so eagerly signed. They stood to make more money with the loopholes in a slow year than if the corporate the rate were lowered.
I no u

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.

How's the hospital food you fcking loser
I wouldn't go into any dark alleys any time soon
outed

Independence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Guess we know the truth now. Lot of people you have pissed off, glad I'm not you!
Corporate Greed

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

1) Corporate profit margins just hit another all-time high. Companies are making more per dollar of sales than they ever have before.(And some people are still saying that companies are suffering from "too much regulation" and "too many taxes." Maybe little companies are, but big ones certainly aren't. What they're suffering from is a myopic obsession with short-term profits at the expense of long-term value creation)

2) Wages as a percent of the economy just hit another all-time low. Why are corporate profits so high? One reason is that companies are paying employees less than they ever have as a share of GDP. And that, in turn, is one reason the economy is so weak: Those "wages" are represent spending power for consumers. And consumer spending is "revenue" for other companies. So the profit obsession is actually starving the rest of the economy of revenue growth.

3) Fewer Americans are working than at any time in the past three decades. The other reason corporations are so profitable is that they don't employ as many Americans as they used to. As a result, the employment-to-population ratio has collapsed. We're back at 1980s levels now.

In short, our current obsessed-with-profits philosophy is creating a country of a few million overlords and 300+ million serfs.

That's not what has made America a great country. It's also not what most people think America is supposed to be about.

So we might want to rethink that.

Specifically, we might want to have the goal of our corporations be to create long-term value for all of their constituencies (customers, employees, and shareholders), not just short-term profit for their shareholders.
You suck

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

The truth Burlington is Garr Jordan
truth

Findlay, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

What happened to Garr? Glad his sh!tty posts have quit.
grant county mafia

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Sleeping on the toilet? I guess for a guy that hides behind his computer, that's the way to go
truth

Findlay, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Did he died?
grant county mafia

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

You can't be the truth any longer. The truth is out
real truth

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Hi heard that garr was jerking off and had a stroke on the toilet
Your a douchebag

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

You know your a hardcore douchebag when your laying in a hospital bed and guys are taking shots at you!

p.s. Garr we all know how you collect change but when someone says " a penny for your thoughts "
That doesnt really mean they will actually give you one OK

They always say its the quiet ones who are the craziest we should have known
real truth

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

He's not hardcore anything. He's a wimp who hides behind his computer.
MaryJane

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Hey Truth, Here is a thought! If you do not like your job at Rotek then why don't you go look for one else where??!! I am sure you can find one that will support your union! As for Rotek, it supports my family and puts food on my table!! Maybe you should take some pride in your job. From what I read, you get no work done because you are busy posting commments that know one wants to read! Truth of the matter is you are probably not even a Rotek Employee! You just like to get things going! Some people like their job and are happy to provide for their family and some people are never happy and complain about everything. Rotek needs to cut off the WiFi because if you really are an Employee you are wasting other tax payers money playing on the internet. I'm sure if you are not able to find another union Job elsewhere then you can always go down to the local welfare line and hold your hands out for Food stamps and don't forget your free cell phone!!
truth

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Cause I can get away with sleeping on the toilet at Rotek. No supervision
MaryJane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

That explains why your so full of shit!
outed

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Can't wait to see you again truth, Its gonna be a warm welcoming back. Got more than a few people wanting to "talk" to you, but dont worry I'm sure the wire boys will have your back. Get well soon and can't wait to see you again Gar!
Robtek

Southington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Why We Need Labor Unions After All

By Dave Johnson

ďAll of a sudden it seems like there is a movement afoot of people saying weíre going to push back.ĒďAnd you know what? There should be a pushback.Ē

Henry Blodgett, in Why We Need Labor Unions After All.

ď
Anyway, it would be great if companies would start sharing their wealth voluntarily. But, as yet, with a couple of notable exceptions (Apple recently gave its store employees a raise it didnít need to give them), theyíve shown no signs of doing that.

So if companies canít be persuaded to do this on their own, maybe itís time for executives to rethink their view of labor unions.

Even the business community (the ones who care about the country and its people anyway) recognize that things are waaaayyyyout of balance, and we need labor unions to push back against the greed. Working people canít take on the immense power of giant corporations alone, People banding together so they have collective power at least have a chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,541 - 2,560 of4,637
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent South Russell Discussions

Search the South Russell Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Old Guy 28,463
Lighthouse youth center 4 hr Truth Sayer 10
Donnie Davis Thu Yes sir 2
Bainbridge Manor Apartments problems Jul 6 Big Joe 29
casual encounter (Aug '12) Jul 6 married not dead 7
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 4 edfgyujm 226
wreck on 41 Jul 2 Curious 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

South Russell Jobs

•••