Council approves ordinance to ban smoking in public places

Jun 20, 2011 Full story: WCSH-TV Portland

The South Portland City Council gave initial approval to an ordinance which would ban smoking within 25 feet of any municipal beach, park, playground, recreational field and walking trail.

Full Story
nelsontia64

Camano Island, WA

#1 Jun 21, 2011
If they want to tell people where and where not to smoke maybe they should started reducing the taxes on a pack of cigarettes then. you have to pay alot to smoke so we should have more rights. Since we pay so much on taxes the state should pay to have smoking areas in public places where the big big tax payers can have a area. The goverment profits off the cigarett taxes and they count on that money in their bugets. yet when a smoker wants to get meds to quit smoking, their insurance won't cover it, nor will the state. 50-70 dollars for patches? 150 dollars for a one month supply of stop smoking meds? come on, they don't want us to quit smoking because they would not have enough taxes to pay for all the goverment programs. They do not own the air outside. I see a big lawsuit coming soon.
hugh jass

Nashville, TN

#2 Jun 21, 2011
nelsontia64 wrote:
If they want to tell people where and where not to smoke maybe they should started reducing the taxes on a pack of cigarettes then. you have to pay alot to smoke so we should have more rights.
One more bright child who thinks nonsmokers are submissive SM prostitutes being pimped to smokers by the tax collectors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ME Who do you support for Governor in Maine in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 12 Half a Bubble Off 121
Scarborough Downs Fund Raiser For Child Abuse Sep 9 Sharon Terry 3
The Truth About Scarborough Downs,, Sep 9 Sharon Terry 4
New England's tallest lighthouse sells for $78,000 Sep 3 Ted Haggard s Mas... 4
Former President Clinton to campaign for Michau... Sep 3 Tuco Blondie 1
Vacationing 1st time in 3 yrs sons bike gets st... Aug 27 lnxnut 1
Volunteers asked to join search for missing woman Jul '14 John Smith 1
•••
•••
•••

South Portland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000