spcitizen

Jasper, TN

#1 Dec 19, 2012
I love you Mayor Dawkins but that thing does not need to be used for house fires. Tornados, floods and other natural disasters should be all it's used for. How will we know to take shelter if that thing is crying wolf 2 nights per week? There is no point in making everyone in town shit their pants over a house fire. Whether we like it or not, tornados are a part of our lives, every spring, from now on. That siren should be used to tell town residents to seek immediate shelter, not that there is a house fire on Laurel Ave. Change it, now.
Voter Too

Jasper, TN

#2 Dec 19, 2012
spcitizen wrote:
I love you Mayor Dawkins but that thing does not need to be used for house fires. Tornados, floods and other natural disasters should be all it's used for. How will we know to take shelter if that thing is crying wolf 2 nights per week? There is no point in making everyone in town shit their pants over a house fire. Whether we like it or not, tornados are a part of our lives, every spring, from now on. That siren should be used to tell town residents to seek immediate shelter, not that there is a house fire on Laurel Ave. Change it, now.
Well Said & I agree that siren should be only for Tornados...if used for house fires an other...when we do have a tornado no one will pay any attention to it thinking its just another house fire
Tactool

Wellington, New Zealand

#3 Dec 20, 2012
The most efficient use of sirens is to educate the community to regard them as simply being an alert to listen to your local radio station.
For example, Here in Wellington new Zealand, we have a traffic tunnel sprinkler deluge system that when triggered by fire, automatically over-rides all local radio broadcast programmes with a pre-recorded message to warn traffic away from the tunnel. We have not yet attached a siren to that system, but we have similar sirens elsewhere for tsunami warning and other emergencies.
Our shock wave sirens can be heard up to 30km away in still air, so a few can cover a huge area. You can see them and play them on our website at www.tacticaltooling.com
Merry Xmas to the people of Pittsburg, from the south Pacific.
Gary Lewis, design engineer, Tactical Tooling Ltd, new Zealand.
Voter Too

Jasper, TN

#4 Dec 20, 2012
Tactool wrote:
The most efficient use of sirens is to educate the community to regard them as simply being an alert to listen to your local radio station.
For example, Here in Wellington new Zealand, we have a traffic tunnel sprinkler deluge system that when triggered by fire, automatically over-rides all local radio broadcast programmes with a pre-recorded message to warn traffic away from the tunnel. We have not yet attached a siren to that system, but we have similar sirens elsewhere for tsunami warning and other emergencies.
Our shock wave sirens can be heard up to 30km away in still air, so a few can cover a huge area. You can see them and play them on our website at www.tacticaltooling.com
Merry Xmas to the people of Pittsburg, from the south Pacific.
Gary Lewis, design engineer, Tactical Tooling Ltd, new Zealand.
In all due respect..this is not New Zealand...an we dont have our sirens hooked up to radio...These sirens are KNOWN for tornado warning...using for other warning...when there is a tornado folks will assume its just another fire or car weck or what ever an not bother.....When a tornado hits the area you dont always have time to go listen to your radio.
Tactool

Wellington, New Zealand

#5 Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure what you meant by "this is not New Zealand" The argument is surely generic, so applies regardless of geographic location, but I take your point that for some tornados time will be of the essence. That's also true for local source tsunami. Tsunami are divided into three categories. Local, regional, and distant. Little can save us from some local tsunami, but sirens with automatic radio broadcast will certainly save us from most regional tsunami (typically a 1 hour warning). Likewise perhaps slowly advancing tornados? Distant tsunami are typically 10 hour warning, so whilst sirens are not the only tool, they certainly contribute. We are phasing out fire station sirens here because SMS works well for that, but SMS is a liability for public disaster warning due to the fact that as soon as the community get any inkling of impending danger, the texting networks can be quickly overwhelmed. It's interesting to note that lives are being saved in Israel by sirens where the warning of an incoming missile can be as little as 30 seconds. It would make no sense to argue for a radio broadcast element in that situation, and I would concede that you might have imminent tornado threat in your area that is comparable. Perhaps that's what you meant by your geographic reference.
We have little tornado experience here due to the mountainous terrain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pittsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teacher bashes student in Facebook 6 hr Dezznuts 4
KELLY "4realgonnatell" RHEAL 17 hr ya know who it is 1
Amanda Frame Fri Greg 4
Hot chic at Dairy Queen Fri Looking4Hottoe 9
Roger Tant Missing in MC (Jul '12) Thu Family member 691
MCHS principal Thu same old 93
Looking for the handsome man Apr 21 Barney Fyffe 3
More from around the web

South Pittsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE