Husband of Montebello mayor arrested on drug-related charges

Oct 17, 2013 Full story: Press-Telegram 346

MONTEBELLO >> Ruben Guerrero, the husband of Montebello Mayor Christina Cortez, was arrested Thursday morning at their home on two drug-related charges.

Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, said (Mayor Christina) Cortez wasn’t involved.

Read more
Somebody Has to Say It

Temple City, CA

#41 Oct 19, 2013
Wonder why wrote:
<quoted text>Since the alleged crime apparently took place outside the home my guess is that the Mayor wouldn't know whether he did that crime or not. The Sheriff's Deputies would have told her why they were at her home. Maybe she found them credible. Personally I'm tired of enabling, facilitating family members who defend culprits when there's strong indications that the culprits have messed up. Call it tough love or call it holding people responsible but I'm glad she didn't bad mouth the law enforcement officers or try to defend her husband. She seems to be trying to handle this sad situation with dignity.
Wow, Wonder Why. Cortez and Dignity in the same sentence. That is truly a first.
Somebody Has to Say It

Temple City, CA

#42 Oct 19, 2013
Christina Cortez is running 3 Candidates: Daniel Hernandez, Flavio Gallarzo and Emma Delgado.
If she can get any two of them onto the Council, She has her 3 vote majority and can do anything she pleases and no one can stop her.
A Brand New Gang of 3. Is that what any of us really wants? Especially when the new two have zero experience and vote exactly as Christina tells them to.
We went through that with the Rosie Vasquez, Robert Urteaga and Kathy Salazar GANG OF 3 and they almost destroyed the city with their spending an appointment of unqualified and shady people like Police Weast (with a GED degree) and crooked Attorney Nick Pacheco they tried to bring aboard. They also Approved the Athens exclusive contract, etc.
Before that we had the Gang of 3 with Lopez-Reid, Bagwell and Siccima. They want to sell our fire department to the County for $1.(yes, that's all you get.) Two-thirds of the residents said NO!, but it still took a referendum and a Recall election to finally kill their personal ambitions.
What has Christina Cortez actually done for Montebello? What do we have here that we wouldn't have without her? Seriously, WHAT?
All she did was scream and shout for three years about all the corruption and missing money she was imagining, so she could call herself a consumer crusader and have a good shot at getting re-elected. That worked.
Do you know of a single accusation by Ms. Cortez that proved out to be true?
Cortez "Demanded" that the D.A. investigate all of the "Illegal Activity she was WITNESSING" in Montebello. The District Attorney didn't file a case because he said, "No wrong doing was found by any city officials and no money was missing."
All Cortez did was bring bad press and publicity to Montebello which forced us to pay several hundred thousand dollars more than we would have for the annual "Bridge Loan" that most city's use to get them through the lean months until they get paid only twice a year by the county and state.
When Banks and Businesses Googled Montebello, just like anyone else might, all they saw were articles about Cortez's unfounded claims that Montebello was an evil corrupt place where you wouldn't want to do business.
She called for numerous City audits to try to find some money missing some where. None was ever found except for the $140,000 of city money she wasted paying for just one of her audits.
The only thing they ever found was an old account that Banco Popular started with a contribution after the 1987 earthquake to help earthquake victims. All the city officials from back then are gone now and no one remembered about it. The money is still there, untouched, and still belongs to the city.
The other thing they found, and Cortez tried to call a double payment to a developer, was a situation where a major New York Bank made a legitimate payment to a developer, but somehow they put a wrong Routing number on the check. The check was then returned to the issuing bank who simply put the correct routing number on the check and sent it again. One successful payment. Not two. Some big crime?, Huh?
Thanks, Christina. A $150,000 of our money well spent.
So, what do Gallarzo and Hernandez want to do? MORE COSTLY AUDITS THAT WILL FIND NOTHING. YEA!!!!!
Gee, I wonder where they got that idea. Oh wait, I know.
Somebody Has to Say It

Temple City, CA

#43 Oct 19, 2013
PLEASE REMEMBER -

The ELECTION OF GALLARZO - HERNANDEZ WILL GIVE CHRISTINA CORTEZ COMPLETE CONTROL OF MONTEBELLO. SHE COULD DO ANYTHING SHE WANTS AND NO ONE COULD STOP HER.

I apologize for the all caps, but it is extremely important that you hear that. It is NOT an exaggeration.

Does anyone really want Christina Cortez to CONTROL MONTEBELLO?
I didn't think so.
Compassion for the family

Reseda, CA

#44 Oct 19, 2013
Somebody Has to Say It wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a load of B.S.
She paid his bail to get him out of jail almost immediately.
That is a LIE! He was in jail for a day, and if you think that is almost immediately, you spend a day in a county jail and see how long it seems.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/18/husband-of-montebe...
World Traveller

Reseda, CA

#45 Oct 19, 2013
Somebody Has to Say It wrote:
PLEASE REMEMBER -
The ELECTION OF GALLARZO - HERNANDEZ WILL GIVE CHRISTINA CORTEZ COMPLETE CONTROL OF MONTEBELLO. SHE COULD DO ANYTHING SHE WANTS AND NO ONE COULD STOP HER.
I apologize for the all caps, but it is extremely important that you hear that. It is NOT an exaggeration.
Does anyone really want Christina Cortez to CONTROL MONTEBELLO?
I didn't think so.
There is also the question of the upcoming election on the proposed Montebello hills condo development.

Apparently, Only the 4 candidates from the ANC candidates' forum have made any public statements about the proposed condo project. Molinari, Barajas, Arriola and Romero answered questions about the proposal, generally saying at this forum that the safety of the location would have to be proven before it could be considered.

When the would-be proposed hill project developer and Athens services tried together to stop Bill Molinari from being elected in 2009, Bill questioned the lack of any independent information or financial analysis about the proposal. He also put out a recent revised analysis of the proposal that questions its underlying assumptions that the characterizes as 'exaggerated'.

Art Barajas ran his first campaign with the pledge of no development in the hills.

Romero has reportedly said at the January 9 city council meeting that she was FOR THE DEVELOPMENT before she became a councilmember candidate.

Gallarzo would almost certainly have to recuse himself on the question of the proposed condos as he lives adjacent to the project area.

THIS council that is elected in November will be the one that decides what happens to the major danger that faces this city: A city budget-draining, physically dangerous, property value depressing, traffic nightmare that the out-of-state owners want to build on the deadly ground of an OPERATING oil field with about 300 oil and natural gas wells.
LOL

Los Angeles, CA

#46 Oct 19, 2013
Montebello Food Eater wrote:
I voted for Christina Cortez and saddened by what has happened. I know she is innocent and I believe her husband should be judged innocent until proven guilty. It's so sad for this Montebello city to never progress because of the city councils old ways. Here comes Christina cleaning up our city and trying to make it better for all of us Montebello residents, but some council members can't get along and want to keep our city money and drown this city into ruins. I support Christina and feel that nobody should judge her and that all the council members that are writing in this blog are many trying too damage her and should stop damaging our city .
Cleaning up the city by piggy backing on the investigations that came out that proved no wrong doing , but merely bad accounting practices? Or by having her husband threaten (allegedly) other council members, or calling negative attention and publicity to the city and costing the city more money that it doesn't have to have forensic audits done that cost money and find nothing.

Good job Christina! Class act all the way
Somebody has to say it

Concord, CA

#47 Oct 19, 2013
At least two times, the sheriffs bought drugs from Ruben Guererro at his house. How much more proof do you need that he was selling drugs?
Get your head out of the sand already.
Sad too is that his own kids are about the same age. What a creep.
Innocent? Okay, presumed so until convicted.
MTB resident

Montebello, CA

#48 Oct 19, 2013
If she has any human decency , next meeting she will apologize to Montebello residents , pack her bags and her fellow council runner uppers and stay away from city politics. She can still do her charity events or walks.
Lots of things have changed in Montebello since 80s. Molinari still running for city council lol.Athens still picking up trash, Seaca still bleeding city funds to collect dead dogs (which they show up in 2 days to do so),Fast food is still the only preferred diet in the city, streets are crumbled ,sad looking palm trees are drying out,old rundown buildings are still inviting graffiti,school classrooms that look like big containers with an AC hooked up to them, like sardines children have to study in them, yes MR Molinari it is not doom and gloom, its the reality.
You drive 10 miles south or 20 miles north , its a different world and makes my doom and gloom feeling go away.

World Traveller

Reseda, CA

#49 Oct 19, 2013
Proud MTB Homeowner wrote:
Attention all Montebello voters and residents we need to form a strong coalition to not allow Cook properties to build 800 square foot attached homes up on our beautiful hill. The new homes should be the 2500 square feet plus for buyers that can afford to pay over $600K for a home... We need to bring wealth and educated people to our city. If we allow 800 square foot homes to be built we will attract ghetto chulos and chulas and gang bangers...the hill will turn into Maravilla Projects part 2 I urge everyone to support executive homes to be built on the hill... Thank you ! Now if anyone objects to this then let me tell you ! You are ignorant , uneducated with have no class and you will ruin Montebello and make it worse than it is . Also you are probably the people that leave baby's used diapers in the streets and allow lunch trucks to park on our neighborhood streets overnight ! I'm Not prejudice but yes I want to live in a clean city so don't ridicule me for wanting to live a clean lifestyle and not in a dirty roach infested home .... Stop inviting gang bangers to our city I'm tired of it
Please see post #45
Wonder why

Los Angeles, CA

#50 Oct 19, 2013
This thread is NOT about the political situation in Montebello or the upcoming election. It is about the arrest of a particular person. Comments about the political situation and election are entirely appropriate for other related threads. Certain comments that have been made on this thread raise even more questions about how this situation was and is being handled in terms of release of information by the authorities.
ALopez

Los Angeles, CA

#51 Oct 19, 2013
He went from cholo to drug declarer-LOL!
I love that pic of him and the mayor in Vegas. He is looks like a creep- low life with his cholo tatoo. Christina could do better- unless she is also into the meth thing.
Compassion for the family

La Puente, CA

#52 Oct 19, 2013
Our Father, Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Kingdom come, thy will be done
On Earth, as it is in Heaven.

Please Pray for Christina and her children

Pray for the city

Pray for all addicts, everywhere

Pray for Compassion to triumph over hatred
Montebello Food Eater

Monterey Park, CA

#53 Oct 19, 2013
I feel really bad about this unfortunate situation. Ruben Guerrero has always been serving the community teaching kids how to be better sport athletes. I will not judge him but allow the justice system to arrive and deliver the answers we all seek. Meanwhile may the citizens of montebello come together in one accord and try to be positive during these times of unfortunate mischiefs..
MTB resident

Montebello, CA

#54 Oct 19, 2013
Ok I understand we should not blame or come to premature conclusions, but what does the law say?"IF" the mayor's family involved in drug sales... what is the city protocol or code say?or is there one?City attorney?
Wonder why

Los Angeles, CA

#55 Oct 20, 2013
MTB resident wrote:
Ok I understand we should not blame or come to premature conclusions, but what does the law say?"IF" the mayor's family involved in drug sales... what is the city protocol or code say?or is there one?City attorney?
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for family members of elected and other officals to get into trouble (just like family members of numerous other families in a community). As long as the official isn't him or herself involved, laws, regulations, protocols etc. wouldn't apply. I've noticed that the legal difficulties such family members encounter are often related to drug and/or alcohol abuse.
Blinkie

Garden Grove, CA

#56 Oct 20, 2013
The culture of Montebello is RETALIATION. No matter what "side you are on" it is a fact of life in our town. During election season standard tools are a note pad in the car to write down license plates of cars that are following you and keeping blank restraining orders in your glove compartment, where you can just fill in the blanks when retaliation occurs. This has been going on for YEARS. By they way folks, the police's take on all of this is that if you participate, that any form or abuse you are subjected too, you bring on yourself by participating. Not disrespecting the police, it is a hard fact. Oh yeah you can now down load blank restraining orders from the internet, go to the court house in downtown LA and just go straight to room 245, avoiding extra lines and hassles.
La Merced area resident

Carson, CA

#57 Oct 20, 2013
Whoever is elected Into council I really hope they do something about all the Armenians driving over 60 mph in their European cars up and down La Merced. Putting a couple of extra stop signs and having a MTB police there to give speeding tickets would solve the problem. Also speed bumps would help and please do not come out saying speed bumps lower our home values because they don't . Go to San Marino and Whittiers Friendly Hills and the speed bumps there have made the home values rise. Also on the corner of Montebello Blvd and 715 La Merced they always park cars for sale there ,this needs to stop I wasn't aware MTB streets were meant for selling used cars and when I turn onto the street those cars for sales are smack in front of you that can cause an accident . Every week there is a new car for sale at 715 Avenida de La Merced. 1-no more cars for sale on our streets 2-add stop signs or speed bumps on La Merced to STOP the highway speeding .... Thank you
La Merced area resident

Carson, CA

#58 Oct 20, 2013
The retaliation should be used to get all the hooligans that come to our city to commit crimes like breaking into our houses and cars. Also we should be more united and create a neighborhood watch program. Also some our streets need to be repaired all the steers on Los Amigos and Avenida La Merced are in poor condition , we need to focus on positive factors for our city !
Blinkie wrote:
The culture of Montebello is RETALIATION. No matter what "side you are on" it is a fact of life in our town. During election season standard tools are a note pad in the car to write down license plates of cars that are following you and keeping blank restraining orders in your glove compartment, where you can just fill in the blanks when retaliation occurs. This has been going on for YEARS. By they way folks, the police's take on all of this is that if you participate, that any form or abuse you are subjected too, you bring on yourself by participating. Not disrespecting the police, it is a hard fact. Oh yeah you can now down load blank restraining orders from the internet, go to the court house in downtown LA and just go straight to room 245, avoiding extra lines and hassles.
World Traveller

Reseda, CA

#59 Oct 20, 2013
La Merced area resident wrote:
The retaliation should be used to get all the hooligans that come to our city to commit crimes like breaking into our houses and cars. Also we should be more united and create a neighborhood watch program. Also some our streets need to be repaired all the steers on Los Amigos and Avenida La Merced are in poor condition , we need to focus on positive factors for our city ! <quoted text>
Is this thread now to become Spam Central? There are several Montebello political election threads that are apparently being neglected because of all the ruckus the arrest has caused.

The people are already united and willing to participate in Neighborhood watch programs. The Police Department has reportedly made a budgeting decision to not run any official neighborhood watch programs.

This issue was already addressed in other threads concerning Vivian Romero's apparently unauthorized use of the Boris the Burglar logo in her campaign literature concerning Neighborhood Watches.

Local neighborhoods are free to organize unofficial Neighborhood Watch groups at this time, as already reported.
Theolona Ranger

Littleton, CO

#60 Oct 20, 2013
Somebody has to say it get's it right
Sad Day in Montebello, What's going on and New Montebello Resident state a common misconception
"He is innocent until proven guilty"
Not exactly
There is a PRESUMPTION of innocence
He is "Presumed innocent" until proven guilty.
He may or may not actually be guilty.
Any PRESUMPTION is rebutable and is a suitable subject for inquiry and debate
Carry on
Not much chance the Sheriff was involved in a "set up", no one in Montebello except maybe the Calderon's and Vasquezs have that kind of pull.
Jack and his connections?
Certainly not Frank, Art or Larry
Not Kathy Salazar (who might have info from within MPD)
DA has changed and so have people in the Public Integrety Division but evidently nothing found.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
End Run Around Montebello Voters by Legislature 5 min Concerned Bystander 13
Maclaren Hall childrens center or juvinile center (Dec '10) 37 min tellinitlikeitis 139
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 58 min TOASTER 19,736
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr mike tirico 29,304
COYOTES IN North MONTEBELLO (Aug '08) 5 hr La Merced Dude 16
News 1963 Pontiac Tempest LeMans - "Oh, This Old Thi... (Apr '08) 8 hr duststorm 41
News Montebello City Council votes 3-2 to give city ... 9 hr funny 28

High Wind Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at March 31 at 8:56PM PDT

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]