Battle looms over tunnel to finish 710 Freeway

Full story: Pasadena Star-News

Advocates and opponents are gearing up for battle over a plan to dig a tunnel to complete a Southern California freeway - the latest idea for finishing the route to have brought resistance from nearby residents.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 46 of46
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
YankeeFlasher

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2010

[QUOTE who="WOW"...Another outright lie, that the 710 Tunnel would be "secretly" exempted from an EIS, was apparently told to one Pasadena Councilmember on this issue, to try to influence the recent SCAG representation vote.

YkFr It wasn't secretly but it was little known done-deal that the FED-DOT gave authoirty for federal compliance with NEPA over to Caltrans. However, the assignment does remove some oversight that use to be there- at least until the next court case for the assignment, such as with the 6th Street or North Spring Street Viaducts rehabilitation EIR/EA are entered 2010 late.

Federal oversight has been removed but most likely may be back in place mid 2011.

[QUOTE who="WOW"...The ultimate and legally definitive study is the required EIS, which should be done, and a decision made. What are these NO 710 diehards afraid of that they need to stop the EIS????[/QUOTE]

YkFr As indicated above, before we waste more time and money on the EIR/EA, MTA needs a good Project Description to define what we need to do, requirements that need to be met...Pre-Scoping Project Descriptions are common and are needed to provide basis for bidding the consultancies and to start the Scoping process.

Need clear and transparent project scope before alternatives can be defined and the enviornmental consequences can be developed
Todd

Beverly Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Maybe we all move over to Santa Ana with you, Warren?

Since: Apr 07

Lancaster, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

South Pasadena is a special small town in the northern part of L.A. that will lose much of its charm if a freeway passes through it, under or above ground. That said, though, Fremont and Fair Oaks are mini-freeways in and of themselves. They ought to close Fremont at the High School, dead end it and make a park across the street, and reduce Fair Oaks to two lanes instead of 4 or 6 (as it is in some parts). This would make South Pasadena even more special and justify the overpriced real estate that exists here.
WOW

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

An interview with all of the whackiest people, who don't seem to say very much? The boogie man is going to do something bad if we build the 710 Tunnel? A project that brings private infrastructure investment, is paid for by users, leaves historic South Pasadena unharmed, takes cut through traffic off of our local streets, creates more jobs, uses less fuel, results in less pollution from stop and go traffic on our local streets......so what the hell do these NO 710 extremist diehards really want?

“Fly low and avoid the penguins”

Since: Dec 09

Pasadena

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

WOW wrote:
An interview with all of the whackiest people, who don't seem to say very much? The boogie man is going to do something bad if we build the 710 Tunnel? A project that brings private infrastructure investment, is paid for by users, leaves historic South Pasadena unharmed, takes cut through traffic off of our local streets, creates more jobs, uses less fuel, results in less pollution from stop and go traffic on our local streets......so what the hell do these NO 710 extremist diehards really want?
Couldn't we accomplish all that by investing in light rail systems for the commuters and heavy rail for the shipping? What's the big advantage of 10 lanes stacked traffic over two rails through S.Pas for the commuters and also providing rail routes that will get the containers from Long Beach/San Pedro up to Bakersfield for redistribution? And, while we're at it, let's get that high speed train to Vegas, but have it originate this side of the mountains to eliminate the need to drive up the Cajon, because once you've driven that far, you may as well just keep on driving.
YankeeFlasher

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

From YF "WOW" I miss your submittal on the 15 June but caught up after going to mTA Committee Meetings this last week....Didn't see/hear you but others were there and for next week.

"WOW" An interview with all of the whackiest people, who don't seem to say very much?
YF - I have offer numerous times if you want an interview with a Whacky from ElSereno I will buy the coffee at any NELA Star...ks

"WOW" The boogie man is going to do something bad if we build the 710 Tunnel?
YF - The real boogle/buggie man in this 710 fiasco is NR, BM, and the subserviant staffs of MTa and Caltrans - as defined now the portal/approach for 150ft deep tunnel would require clearing 3-4 rows of houses from Alhambra Ave to Huntington Drive in Alhambra and ElSereno (=400+ houses) plus total disruption of the area for 5 years...Tunnels aren't bad it is just the getting down and coming up, its not the fall that kill ou it is the sudden stop at the bottom...

"WOW" A project that brings private infrastructure investment, is paid for by users,
YF There is no free lunch as the Orange County Toll Road demonstrated...Contractors and WallStreet Bankers don't give anything free =$11B bond issue will have a total cost of $22B with investors and WallStrBankers getting a lot of it.

YF Paid by users...No company will take that risk as shown in OrangeCounty Toll Road --- companies get paid, if thing go bad they will declar bankruptcy and leave the bills for the MTA/LACo to pick up
YF Users-who will they be - at >$6B tolls will be $12-15 each way for 4-5miles unless they are subsidized by the ALCo/MTA/Cities gaining benefits (beneficiaries)= You and Me

"WOW" leaves historic South Pasadena unharmed,
YF doubtful - as SoPasadena may get one of the ventilation shafts near the HighSchool AND
The North Portal requires a portal beginning from the north edge of the Pasadena/ArroyoSeco SR110 freeway - as a cut-N-Cover box north thru the Pasadena Corridor to north of the I210...So northern SoPas will feel the hammers/augers setting 150+ft soldier Piles from the Freeway to Columbia...

"WOW" takes cut through traffic off of our local streets,
YF Given the probable high tolls most traffic will not go byway of the tunnel and if they did who wants to go east bound on the I210...so forget the commuters going on the Valley/Mission/Main-Tunas/Hunt ington corridors = NO HELP AT ALL...this is not for the commuters but is for the CentralValley truckers and Caltrans Toll Road network they are making NOW = HOV/HOT lanes.
"WOW" creates more jobs,

"WOW" uses less fuel,
YF Not for the truckers who will have to climb 400ft to get to the I210 and then over the LaCresenta Grade rather than going the slower but leveler grade of the I-5, as soon as the tunnel is done Caltrans will ban all trucks on the I-5

"WOW" results in less pollution from stop and go traffic on our local streets......
YF Not so as the local traffic will remains as is and SCAG's study shows that even the tunnel would be at LOS-F at the time of opening...

"WOW" so what the hell do these NO 710 extremist diehards really want?
YF What we want - is a good clearly defined program which helps NELA and West.SanGabrielValley which is 400 projects of $2-3M each
Yeh, also the Alameda Corridor North - rail to SanLuisObispo.

TOM

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 46 of46
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at July 11 at 9:55AM PDT

•••
•••

South Pasadena News Video

•••
South Pasadena Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

South Pasadena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••