Battle looms over tunnel to finish 71...

Battle looms over tunnel to finish 710 Freeway

There are 46 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Apr 22, 2010, titled Battle looms over tunnel to finish 710 Freeway. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Advocates and opponents are gearing up for battle over a plan to dig a tunnel to complete a Southern California freeway - the latest idea for finishing the route to have brought resistance from nearby residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WOW

United States

#1 Apr 22, 2010
Joanne Nuchols is so wrong and she knows it, and is now resorting to fearmongering sound bites. This small No 710 faction has become so fixated on their opposition . even to the 710 Tunnel alternative. They have become irrational paranoids, even now that South Pasadena has been "saved" by this alternative.The last paranoid fantasy was that the Tunnel would be used for "bait and switch" to really build the surface route, maybe secretly while they weren't watching?

The majority in South Pasadena are now in favor of the Tunnel as it will not destroy South Pasadena. So this increasingly desparate little group now resorts to sound bits like this?

710 Tunnel opponents like Bill Bogaard who uses his position as Mayor to apparently undermine Pasadena's voter approved support position on the 710 Gap, He and job killer Anthony Portantino apparently oppose even an Environmenal Impact Study. What are these job killers afraind of?

Are they just pandering to this increasingly irrational fringe, or the elitists in Pasadena Heritage, or they just like local congestion and air pollution from stop and go traffic in our neighborhoods? Do they really claim to represent the City of Pasadena and the voters of the 44th District, who polling shows overwhelmingly support this project?

Is this why Bill Bogaard supported the recent purge of South Pasadena Mike Ten from the SCAG Board, because Mike was open to the EIS to answer the questions that need to be answered? Do these job killers support more local traffic and pollution? Is South Pasadena now the "enemy" because they are no longer politically correct for the fringe on this issue?

Najarian and other Glendale Councilmembers have been spooked by the lies being told by opponents in La Canada and North Glendale about impacts of the 710 connection is right in calling for further study. But the laws we have call for that study to be an EIS which will answer these questions. Not wasting more money on planning!

Do the 710 Tunnel EIS, and answer the questions, don't be scared....... and don't buy into paranoid conspiracy theories.....

“All the print thats news 2 fit”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 Apr 22, 2010
It's never gonna happen.
WOW

United States

#3 Apr 22, 2010
Why Peter? Because we listen to frightened luddites and their bizarre conspiracy theories?

Or do you think Americans are too backward to do these types of projects, like the Spanish, French, or even the Russians? They have financed these projects, often with private investment, using tolls, and successfully built these kinds of projects with no significant impacts to very historic locations?

Luddite nonsense!
queenbe123

Glendale, CA

#4 Apr 22, 2010
i agree wholeheartedly with wow's comment about luddite thinking on this subject.

“Fly low and avoid the penguins”

Since: Dec 09

Pasadena

#5 Apr 22, 2010
Two questions:

1. Can we get the Europeans to build it?
2. Where will it surface?
mee

Ventura, CA

#6 Apr 22, 2010
Just build the tunnel already.
The streets around Alhambra where the 710 are a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE and extremely dangerous at high traffic hours. The tunnel is the one soultion where it wont affect lovely South Pasadena.
Grand Park

Newport Beach, CA

#7 Apr 22, 2010
I think the very best idea would be to dig the tunnel and move all south pasadena residents into it. Then remove all of the ground level buildngs and creat a grand central park with the 710 freeway running off to one side.
David

Pasadena, CA

#8 Apr 22, 2010
Lets just cover over South Pasadena and pretend like it was never there in the first place!
Local

Burbank, CA

#9 Apr 22, 2010
I support the 710 idea, but can somebody here help me out? WOW? Anyone? Please?

How will the 710 tunnel help the 134 and 210 freeways in Pasadena? I keep hearing that the 710 is going to help traffic. How will it help traffic in the Pasadena area? Isn't the 710 going to make traffic worse in the Pasadena area?

Otherwise, I support the 710 project.
kvl

Duarte, CA

#10 Apr 22, 2010
"It'll encourage people to get into their single-occupant vehicle and drive around L.A. when what we need are smart solutions and sustainable modes of transit."

This is the same city that has forced the Gold Line trains to slow down to a crawl, which makes that much slower and inefficient. No, this is just a bunch of hogwash. The 710 opponents don't care about sustainable transit. They need to be honest: they are NIMBYs.
Lon

United States

#11 Apr 22, 2010
I supported South Pas' opposition to a surface route, but the few diehards who are opposing the tunnel have little credibility. I wish Joanne Nuckols would crawl back under her rock.

Pasadena

#12 Apr 22, 2010
Local wrote:
I support the 710 idea, but can somebody here help me out? WOW? Anyone? Please?
How will the 710 tunnel help the 134 and 210 freeways in Pasadena? I keep hearing that the 710 is going to help traffic. How will it help traffic in the Pasadena area? Isn't the 710 going to make traffic worse in the Pasadena area?
Otherwise, I support the 710 project.
The primary purpose of the 710 extension is to move truck traffic from the ports up to the 210 where it can meet the 5 north into the central valley while bypassing downtown. It will benefit the surface traffic on Fremont (somewhat), and will probably make the 210 around La Canada a nightmare with the added truck traffic. Commuter traffic is a secondary concern, and with the bulk of that around the rush hours, a limited impact unless the Santa Clarita residents start using it to get to O.C.
Warren

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Ground level right down the middle of South Pas gets my vote. We have a city with a population of 26k holding up progress for over 10 million people and millions of consumers around the world.
Local

Burbank, CA

#14 Apr 22, 2010
WPArtist wrote:
<quoted text>
The primary purpose of the 710 extension is to move truck traffic from the ports up to the 210 where it can meet the 5 north into the central valley while bypassing downtown. It will benefit the surface traffic on Fremont (somewhat), and will probably make the 210 around La Canada a nightmare with the added truck traffic. Commuter traffic is a secondary concern, and with the bulk of that around the rush hours, a limited impact unless the Santa Clarita residents start using it to get to O.C.
Thank you for your response. I still support the 710 extension, but WOW and others, why should we want more trucks in our area? The 210 is already filled with trucks. Also, the 210 east traffic extends from La Crescenta to Tujunga on weekday mornings.
Warren

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Apr 22, 2010
WPArtist wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt the trucks will cause a problem in La Canada. Most likely it would cause additional back up where the 710 meets the 210 in Pasadena. After a mile or so traffic flows into La Canada. There is a little slowing where the 2 and the 210 meets but, not many trucks use the 2 Fwy to get to the 210 Fwy.
DarwinAwardWinne rs

La Quinta, CA

#16 Apr 22, 2010
Real easy for you "backseat bloggers" to comment.

If the state was trying to send a freeway through your front yard you would fight it,...unless of course you didn't have the guts to fight.

Pasadena

#17 Apr 22, 2010
Warren wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt the trucks will cause a problem in La Canada. Most likely it would cause additional back up where the 710 meets the 210 in Pasadena. After a mile or so traffic flows into La Canada. There is a little slowing where the 2 and the 210 meets but, not many trucks use the 2 Fwy to get to the 210 Fwy.
Because once a truck is on the 5 running through downtown, it'll just stay on the 5, as there is no incentive to take the trip up the 2. The goal is to avoid downtown. I don't mean this condescendingly, but grab a map, and plan your route with the 710 extension as an option. And keep in mind the broad openness of the 210 compared to any stretch of LA County 5 freeway.
710 now

San Bernardino, CA

#18 Apr 22, 2010
Forget the tunnel pave over the South Pasadena Nimbys
710 now

San Bernardino, CA

#19 Apr 22, 2010
DarwinAwardWinners wrote:
Real easy for you "backseat bloggers" to comment.
If the state was trying to send a freeway through your front yard you would fight it,...unless of course you didn't have the guts to fight.
No, we wouldn't move into the neighborhood in the first place. The 710 plan was there before you. NIMBY LOSER.

Pave over south pas.
710 now

San Bernardino, CA

#20 Apr 22, 2010
Local wrote:
<quoted text>.... why should we want more trucks in our area?....
Nobody wants it, it is NECESSARY for national security. Why does South Pasadena HATE AMERICA?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton campaign hits Trump for seeing Brexit a... 23 min tomin cali 23
Triple the Fund 3 hr Back there 1
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 16 hr Serpico 2,985
Lomas x3 (Jan '08) 22 hr rukus 405
News Water Replenishment District inks $110 million ... Sat Sopr 7
Possible coyote in South Pasadena (Jun '08) May '16 ggg 32
News Auditors question South El Montea s relationshi... (Sep '15) Sep '15 concern citizen 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages