South Pasadena takes another step aga...

South Pasadena takes another step against public smoking

There are 38 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Sep 1, 2010, titled South Pasadena takes another step against public smoking. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Randy, who didn't wish to give his last name, talks to a friend as they smoke cigarettes at Kaldi coffee shop on El Centro Street in South Pasadena Wednesday September 1, 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 10

Pasadena, CA

#1 Sep 1, 2010
I condemn these attempts to take away our freedoms. Smoking is a freedom that Americans should have every right to indulge in.

News Flash: The anti smoking campaigns work!...more people quit every day. But do we really want to legislate smoking and risk abusing the U.S. Constitution?

Peer pressure on smoking? Fine...but irritating to smokers!

Laws? It reduces us to a totalitarian society.
LDT

Monrovia, CA

#2 Sep 1, 2010
What's scary about this is South Pas. will actually employ Gestapo tactics to enforce this law I can see some busy body with a stroller going after one of the old folks at the senior citizens home ... The old guy is 90, no one visits him and the one joy he has left is an occasional cigarette out front and watching the world go by .Can't you picture the screeching Harpy franticly dialing 911 and demanding a fine and possible jail time ... Classic South Pasadena .
Just Dave

Pasadena, CA

#3 Sep 2, 2010
What sort of a nanny world are we creating? Are we children, living under the ever-watchful eye and powerful hands of Daddy? Sure, smoking has a risk factor. So does drinking, eating, skiing, sex, driving, and just about everything else.(And now that I mention it, male homosexual sex is much more likely to do damage and spread disease than heterosexual unions or lesbianism.) I'm glad smoking is banned on airplanes, but beyond that, I'd be a whiny little b*tch if I complained that I walked down the street and got a whiff of smoke in my delicate nose. This is none of the government's damn business. It's time for free men (and women) to rise up and tar and feather the despots and micromanaging control freaks that think they run our lives and rob us of our liberty and our humanity "for our own good". These are the same louses that can't balance a budget and couldn't run a hotdog stand without going belly up. If we hang a few of them, maybe they'll learn that intrusive laws are also a health hazard.
LDT

Monrovia, CA

#4 Sep 2, 2010
Just Dave wrote:
What sort of a nanny world are we creating? Are we children, living under the ever-watchful eye and powerful hands of Daddy? Sure, smoking has a risk factor. So does drinking, eating, skiing, sex, driving, and just about everything else.(And now that I mention it, male homosexual sex is much more likely to do damage and spread disease than heterosexual unions or lesbianism.) I'm glad smoking is banned on airplanes, but beyond that, I'd be a whiny little **** if I complained that I walked down the street and got a whiff of smoke in my delicate nose. This is none of the government's damn business. It's time for free men (and women) to rise up and tar and feather the despots and micromanaging control freaks that think they run our lives and rob us of our liberty and our humanity "for our own good". These are the same louses that can't balance a budget and couldn't run a hotdog stand without going belly up. If we hang a few of them, maybe they'll learn that intrusive laws are also a health hazard.
You do know the screeching Harpy is down at the police department screeching out " That your attempting to insight riot and fear mongering... Mind you this is the same person that refuses to immunize there spawn because an ex Playboy centerfold makes statements on Oprah that immunizations cause Autism ,Will never give up the SUV... AKA Mini Van , Feels the world must share in her breast feeding experience and doesn't understand why eyebrows raise in regards to 5 year old still breast feeding and wants pot legalized because Xanax isn't natural and you can't buy pretty hand blown recycled glass smoking accessories ... You gotta love it.
tyb stuck in cali

Monrovia, CA

#5 Sep 2, 2010
So when is South Pas going to bsn drinking? Drinking kills-South Pas wants to control people,so why not ban drinkning? If your businesses suffer then they will be told it's for the good of the"children".

After they ban smoking,drinking, and swearing, they can then ban sex.....

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#6 Sep 2, 2010
Tha American Lung Associationas receives millions from J&J, makers of Chantix, to lobby for smoking bans. Now having Chantix SUBSIDIZED is absolute genius marketing strategy. I bet they get a huge raise if it goes through.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#7 Sep 2, 2010
LDT wrote:
What's scary about this is South Pas. will actually employ Gestapo tactics to enforce this law I can see some busy body with a stroller going after one of the old folks at the senior citizens home ... The old guy is 90, no one visits him and the one joy he has left is an occasional cigarette out front and watching the world go by .Can't you picture the screeching Harpy franticly dialing 911 and demanding a fine and possible jail time ... Classic South Pasadena .
We are building fences on the wrong border.
Andy K

AOL

#8 Sep 2, 2010
The Council has many areas in the City requiring management attention, such as road repair, water problems, improve the policing, huge traffic problems which they try to solve by slowing down traffic and pensions and benefits are out of control. Progress toward a nanny city needs to cease.
Mufon

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Sep 2, 2010
LDT wrote:
<quoted text>You do know the screeching Harpy is down at the police department screeching out " That your attempting to insight riot and fear mongering... Mind you this is the same person that refuses to immunize there spawn because an ex Playboy centerfold makes statements on Oprah that immunizations cause Autism ,Will never give up the SUV... AKA Mini Van , Feels the world must share in her breast feeding experience and doesn't understand why eyebrows raise in regards to 5 year old still breast feeding and wants pot legalized because Xanax isn't natural and you can't buy pretty hand blown recycled glass smoking accessories ... You gotta love it.
I have no idea what you just wrote, but so far, it's the funniest post of the day.
THESAULSTER

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Sep 2, 2010
Smoking eh? I'll need to see your passports please mein fuhrer has ordered it.
Say What

Mission Viejo, CA

#11 Sep 2, 2010
I can just see So Pas PD setting up Smokbriety Checkpoints on Fair Oaks and confiscating your matches and smokes for 30 days unless you can pay a fine and get them out of impound.

Lighten up, people (no pun intended)
THESAULSTER

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Sep 2, 2010
Say What wrote:
I can just see So Pas PD setting up Smokbriety Checkpoints on Fair Oaks and confiscating your matches and smokes for 30 days unless you can pay a fine and get them out of impound.
Ah veee have vayz of making you talk! Where is the tobacco resistance?

Since: Dec 09

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Sep 2, 2010
Say What wrote:
PMSL
----abc

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Sep 2, 2010
Don`t panic ! South Pasadena is actually "OLD PASADENA" . People showing their actual age by b i t c h i n g about a smoker/s. They are only hurting themselves internally.What is more annoying is these idiots that walk their dogs and don`t pick up their crap ! South Pasadena will be losing in the long run.
Disgusted

La Crescenta, CA

#15 Sep 2, 2010
I agree with all of above comments. If any of you live in So Pas, you need to unite. I am a non-smoker myself BUT I believe everyone has the choice and we don't need gov't intervention into peoples' personal lives.
Say What

Mission Viejo, CA

#16 Sep 2, 2010
RhythmMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
PMSL
????

Since: Dec 09

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Sep 2, 2010
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>
????
PMSL = PI55ING MYSELF LAUGHING
annonymus

Arlington, TX

#18 Sep 2, 2010
I can see several lawsuits already in the making, I am not a smoker but everyone has the right to smoke in the convience of there own place even if it is an apartment complex, the funny thing is that they aren't putting these rules in effect for legal pot smokers. What is next banning kids from buying ice cream because it can cause obesity and diabetes?
pancho

Pasadena, CA

#19 Sep 2, 2010
The assistant Manager Sergio Gonzales may not take in to account the the sales tax an Individual sale of a packs of cigarettes generates what they want to be able to do is sell them but take them out of town if you want to smoke.... heres a better idea out law smoking and the sales of all tobacco products in the city of south pasadena add up all the tax revenue it use to generate and tell all home owners to fork out the differance in there property taxes for the good of the children and in no time Sergio Gonzalez will be back to mowing those prestigious lawns and cutting hedges in that beautiful town of South Pasadena you go Serg!!!!
Sean

El Segundo, CA

#20 Sep 2, 2010
I've lived in So. Pas for almost 7 years now, in a 4-plex, and I'm a smoker. Some of my neighbors over the years have been smokers. Some of them not. We have this thing 'communication' and 'courtesy' for our neighborly lifestyles, and I've always been more than willing to smoke as far away from non-smokers as possible, just out of common respect and courtesy. Never has it been a problem.

Unfortunately, whoever is passing these laws, has no respect for individual freedom, or courtesy towards people who are unfortunate enough to be addicted to tobacco.

What about the equestrians who walk along the streets and plop horse dung? What about all these shady residential asian brothels running under your noses? Seriously... wake up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
demonstrators help me decide 1 hr lex 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr I m back 20,179
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 6 hr El Manda Mas 2,937
Don't vote for Hillary Clinton, she is satani... 7 hr Alison DC 3
Rev. Dr. Trevor Smith 7 hr Leza K 5
News Nearly 1,000 in L.A. join nationwide protests f... (Apr '15) 8 hr Ed Edn Eddy 2
News Palo Alto: Four arrested in theft of truck cont... 10 hr Mike Honka 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages