Festival celebrates Peruvian Independence

One-hundred-eighty-eight years ago today, Peru declared its independence from Spain. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr Estradas Mom

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2009
What a crock. Montebello cancelled their July 4th celebration, foregoing the fireworks because of money concerns. I wonder just how much this un-American festival cost? " ... it unites the Peruvian community". How about uniting with the AMERICAN community instead? Otherwise, you will continue to make OUR country into the same third world pig sty that Peru is. Thank you for that.
Soldier622

Norwalk, CA

#2 Jul 28, 2009
I completely agree. THIS IS AMERICA!!!!
Cultural Diversity

Monrovia, CA

#3 Jul 28, 2009
First of all, this isn't a city-sponsored event, so just because the crooks in Montebello can't finance their budget properly to offer its residents a July 4 celebration, isn't the Peruvian community's fault.
Second of all, ever heard of a little cultural diversity? Considering that America was built by immigrants, I don't see anything wrong with celebrating the heritages that help make up this salad bowl of a country.
And lastly, you talk about this being America and uniting the American community. Why don't we have a Native American festival, considering we basically raped their people and their land. Oh wait, they must not count right?
Quit being haters and get a life
Not Again

Monterey Park, CA

#4 Jul 28, 2009
I disagree with you Cultural Diversity... Mr Estradas Mom and soldier622 are right and you're wrong. You don't see us going into Peru or any other County and celebrating the 4th of July.

We must keep our County strong. Everyone wants to come to the US and then when they get here they want to change us. My goodness, some areas of Los Angeles and surrounding cities you can't even read what type of business it is... it's all in their language. We are speaking our minds and no one said anything about hate, so chill...
tony

Aurora, CO

#5 Jul 28, 2009
Not Again wrote:
I disagree with you Cultural Diversity... Mr Estradas Mom and soldier622 are right and you're wrong. You don't see us going into Peru or any other County and celebrating the 4th of July.
We must keep our County strong. Everyone wants to come to the US and then when they get here they want to change us. My goodness, some areas of Los Angeles and surrounding cities you can't even read what type of business it is... it's all in their language. We are speaking our minds and no one said anything about hate, so chill...
wrong again, cultural diversity is what keeps our great country going and fun for all , peruvian food is great, just like mexican, italian, chinese, thai, so any ex-patriots who want to celebrate there independence here your more than welcome, come one come all and there's nothing you can say or do about it. so quit hating and come out and enjoy some ethnic food. you might like it. ha ha ha !!!
Taggart

United States

#6 Jul 28, 2009
LOL at the guy who thinks Peru is millions of miles away from southern California. How the hell did we let someone with that little brains in?
Mariah Megan Barnes

Chelsea, MA

#7 Apr 27, 2010
Me importa un carajo.
dbunker

Anaheim, CA

#8 Apr 28, 2010
no fourth,no christmas,lol peruvian,cinco de mayo,dia de le muerta,gay pride etc etc 6% of the citizens making rule for the other 94% but you cant be bothered your busy,while your country loses its pride and honor kind of like the men in your homes,you know the forty year old dressing and acting like he is still 17? pretty good ladies you raised these idiots and gave birth to children of these 1/4 males, pretty cool. keep breaking this wonderful country down just like youve done to your life,culture and men.think about it
Huachafo

Canton, MA

#9 Apr 28, 2010
A mi me importa otro carajo!
gambon

Wappingers Falls, NY

#10 May 11, 2010
To Soldier 622 : This, is not America !!!!!!!!!!

This is the UNITED STATES !!!!!!!!!!

AMERICA is the continent!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BUM!!!!!!!!!!
gambon

Wappingers Falls, NY

#11 May 11, 2010
Hear ye , hear ye , and good!

We don't need cultural diversity ! that crap is bringing this great country down .
WE don't need junk from China , food and furniture from India , we don't need their culture and their presence .WE don't need to hear their idioms . English , is the one WE want to hear and speak, WE
the people of this country have the best culture ever. And WE don't want TACOS neither!
Mariah Megan Barnes

Shrewsbury, MA

#12 May 13, 2010
Me importa trres carajos!
Mariah Mergan Barnes

Shrewsbury, MA

#13 May 13, 2010
gambon wrote:
Hear ye , hear ye , and good!
We don't need cultural diversity ! that crap is bringing this great country down .
WE don't need junk from China , food and furniture from India , we don't need their culture and their presence .WE don't need to hear their idioms . English , is the one WE want to hear and speak, WE
the people of this country have the best culture ever. And WE don't want TACOS neither!
Te deberian colgar de las pelotas y ya que de nada te sirven porque no donas tus hediondas pelotas a los pit bulls . The pitbulls eat anything. Piensalo bien cojudo!
Alexis Kaiser

Orange, CA

#14 Jun 4, 2010
The country is made up of so many people and no one gets along. So...united we would stand and divided we are falling. If this country doesn't stand for something (and it doesn't) we will fall for anything (political correctness)
What is traditional Americana? A dream that has fallen by the wayside.
It is a shame that people that immigrate to to this country dont really embrace all that is America,including the language, our history and all that once made America great.
Those looking to change our culture into their own..should just go back to where they came from. Happiness is in your backyard...not ours.
whatyousay

Winter Springs, FL

#16 Jun 24, 2010
people who saying america is breaking down cuz of immigrants can jus suck it.you jus ignorant people who dont think on wat u sayin.im peruvian but born here and i like to live my family heritage but i also love the united states and there culture.and first of all dis land belonged to the natives and we dont celebrate there culture like we should.so stop talkin shit and first think of what u sayin.
Johanna Botta

Shrewsbury, MA

#17 Jun 29, 2010
A mi me importan cuatro carajos!
MIchelle Urday

San Dimas, CA

#18 Jul 19, 2010
Mr Estradas Mom wrote:
What a crock. Montebello cancelled their July 4th celebration, foregoing the fireworks because of money concerns. I wonder just how much this un-American festival cost? " ... it unites the Peruvian community". How about uniting with the AMERICAN community instead? Otherwise, you will continue to make OUR country into the same third world pig sty that Peru is. Thank you for that.
Dear intolerant person,
I am 17 and have recently graduated high school at a California distinguished school in which i took a rigorous course load filled with advanced placement classes. Two of those classes were U.S History and U.S Government and Politics, and from them i learned a lot about America's mistakes and accomplishments. Most of the mistakes were caused by intolerance, ignorance, and pure racist bigotry. On the other hand the accomplishments were due to the perseverance of liberty, freedom, and justice FOR ALL. And you are right we do have to celebrate what makes America great but not just for one day, not with just fireworks and hot dogs, but with our actions and words every day of our lives. We should uphold America above all but not just because everyone else sucks but because we know the difference between everyone else and ourselves, We do not discriminate, limit, nor judge others by race sex or color, I hope you understand I wrote this not to offend you but to remind you of the America you speak of... being of Peruvian descent of course motivated me a great deal
sincerely,
tolerant person
jentovar

Pomona, CA

#21 Jul 24, 2010
I am proud to be peruvian, I am proud to have married a brasilian, i am proud of my two little american girls. and I love this country.. why can't we all get along and just be happy!.
as long as we dont hurt anyone, steal, disrespect or emotional distube people, we all have wonderful cultures and languages. I had travel a lot and had open my mind and eyes of how every country, culture and people can be wonderful in their own way..and we can learn from each other, we just need to be open minded to everything that is around us.
let's make love not war....:)
Phlip

San Marcos, CA

#22 Jul 25, 2010
I googled in here because my peruvian wife asked me to look up where the cited festival is.

Instead, I get all the racism that certain TV channels have been stirring up for the past 2 years.

Sigh...
Peruvian

Charlotte, NC

#23 Jul 25, 2010
It is unbeliable how you people talk and express yourself, trying to "the americans" to celebrate 4th of July and nothing else. I agree that everybody should speak english but it does not mean that people should not celebrate their culture as long as they don't disrespect others. This country has people from all over the world all immigrants, and is disguisting that some of them don't want to recognize where they come from even if they were born here, their mother or father came from. And for that "person" that talk about peruvian brains and pig sty, I am proud to be a peruvian that married a guy that was born here from an italian mother and a veteran father. It's been 8 years that I came from my country with a degree and speaking 3 languages and made a career here. And to end with my comments this has nothing to do with the peruvians only or you guys never heard of the 5 de Mayo, October Fest, Colombian Fest and so on and so forth. So before you ignorants want to make a comment prepare yourselves better and don't talk shit and insult people that this is why this country is like it is now. FUCKED UP!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 56 min Me O My O 7,969
RB Man Arrested in Fake ID Scheme (Nov '11) 1 hr Manama 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr King Kong 19,289
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 27,607
Voto Latino: African Americans and Latinos Unit... (Mar '12) 8 hr gulf 897
SF gay pride event celebrates 40th anniversary (Jun '10) 10 hr OK Mr macho 100
L.A., Glendale seek injunction against Toonervi... (Nov '08) 10 hr oso 119

Fire Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at October 01 at 8:19PM PDT

South Pasadena News Video

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match

South Pasadena Jobs

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Pasadena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Pasadena