1963 Pontiac Tempest LeMans - "Oh, Th...

1963 Pontiac Tempest LeMans - "Oh, This Old Thing?"

There are 40 comments on the Hot Rod Magazine story from Jan 25, 2008, titled 1963 Pontiac Tempest LeMans - "Oh, This Old Thing?". In it, Hot Rod Magazine reports that:

“We really were going to paint the car, but then we thought, No, this is good the way it is. This way we don't have to worry about scratching it every time we lean over a fender.”

More than just about anyone, we have a special appreciation for the car that looks like junk but goes like stink. via Hot Rod Magazine

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hot Rod Magazine.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bro Bru Bru

North Fort Myers, FL

#24 Apr 10, 2011
I had one ,326,4brl,one day went to rebuild engine,
it was .62 over bore from factory! The only thing
I didn't dig ,was why a 2 speed auto? Put Cragers on it ,new paint ,down the road in a Hurry!
I miss her!
Harry Goodberry

Timmins, Canada

#25 May 12, 2011
Connecticut123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Been looking for one for my dad for a while now, it was his first new car. I would love to get one for his retirement and golden years.-Rob
There is a 63 pont. lemans convt. slant 4yl., rde w/red and white int., on a site in canada called myzer.com asking $5500.00 apparently is in good shape.
kay tee

AOL

#26 May 30, 2011
hi, i have a 63 tempest lemans HO, it has a 326 4 barrel with 3 speed manual transmission, it has factory tach, and the engine is black in color with 326 lemans on the valve cover in red and it is painted on. i have had the car about three year's maybe one day me or someone can restore it. thank's k.t email me at [ [email protected] ]
ken

AOL

#27 May 30, 2011
hi, i have 63 tempest lemans 326 ho with 3 speed manual trans, factory tach, 4 barrel duel exhuast. the engine is like it came here and the color of the engine is black and has 326 lemans with about 2 inch letters on the valve covers in red. anyone got anything like this.k.t. email me at [ [email protected] ]
Topliss

Edmonton, Canada

#28 Jul 21, 2011
Pete wrote:
The 1963 Pontiac Lemans is a truly unique automobile and for the longest period of time has been overlooked by collectors and overshadowed by the 1964 GT0. A true automotive buff ,knows that the 1963 Pontiac Lemans was the precursor to the musclecar.In mid 1963, Pontiac offered heavy duty suspension (springs, shocks,carbon metallic brake pads, oversize tires) 4 barrel carburetor , dual exhaust and 20:1 steering ratio coupled to a three tiger V-8 -326 HO cast iron block. All this was available in a very attractive lightweight compact body that featured a unique torque tube drivetrain with an independent rear transaxle suspension. In my travels, I have never seen one these models but I guess a few still exist and probably command a high price can you say "Son of Bobcat".
I've got a beautifully restored convertible 63 lemans you must see!
KAYTEE

United States

#29 Jan 7, 2012
I HAVE A 1963 LEMANS HO THAT NEEDS RESTORED, IT HAS A FACTORY 326 4 BARREL CARBURATION WITH ENGINE CODE 70X, IN DASH TACH, 3 SPEED STANDARD TRANS, IT ALSO HAS TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION. THE ENGINE COLOR IS BLACK WITH BLACK VALVE COVERS WITH 326 LEMANS IN RED LETTERS ON THEM, THE ENGINE HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF THE CAR, THIS THE WAY IT CAME HERE THE FRIST OWNER TOLD ME. I NEVER SEEN ANOTHER ONE LIKE IT PERIOD. THE 63 LEMANS HO THAT IS BEING SHOWED HERE ON THE NET DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THIS EXCEPT 3 SPEED TRANS BUT ALOT OF THEM CAME WITH THAT. THANK'S K.T. EMAIL [ [email protected] '
Don Reinking

Citrus Heights, CA

#30 Feb 1, 2012
I just happen to have a '63' LeMans Conv. with the HO 326 3 sp.One of the very rare beauty's the interior is shot, but complete. 90,00 orig. miles w/ 1 clutch change. It has been sitting for 10 yrs. and would sell it for the right price. Also have the Build Sheet for the car. If any serious buyers are interested, my email is, [email protected]
Ed Anderson

Delafield, WI

#31 May 24, 2012
Bob Morse wrote:
When I returned from Viet Nam in 1972 I bought a '63 Le Mans 326 w/ hurst 3 speed on the floor. I didn't know what I had. I paid $350 for it and drove it for 2 years. I wish I had it today. Malibu's backed down from this beast. I sure would like another one in my declining years. Please respond if you have ideas.
If you are still wanting one e-mail me at [email protected] Ihave one
Ed Anderson

Delafield, WI

#32 May 24, 2012
If yill looking for one, e-mail me at [email protected]
joe

United States

#33 Sep 7, 2012
my dad had a 1962 pontiac lemans... 4 cylinder.... 4 barrel.... 4 speed...silver convertible. it had black bucket seats and it would fly! this was back in the day when my dad would let me drive it when i was 15 years old.... 1971. yes... i wrecked it... totaled it. i finally got my license when i was 17.i moved back to florida in 1974. i bought a 1963 tempest convertible with absolutely no rust... blue metallic.... bench seat... 4 cylinder,4 barrel... and FACTORY AIR CONDITIONING!I DROVE ACROSS THE STATE AT 115 MPH WITH THE GAS PEDAL HALFWAY DOWN. STUPID I KNOW,BUT I WAS YOUNG. i bought it for $350.00.... sold it for $250.00 2 years later... you could not find this car now if you had too.... oh to be young and dumb.... joe
joe

United States

#34 Sep 7, 2012
ooops....i forgot to say my 63 tempest convertible was a 3 speed.when i moved from largo florida to ft. pierceflorida... following my buddies in a u-haul at a slow speed... i went 175 miles on a quarter tank of gas... amazing
Jim

Beverly, MA

#35 Mar 8, 2013
This post is good news, bad news, good news. Good news: The only car I filled out the build sheet on was a '63 Lemans 326 HO coupe, midnight blue in and out. Leather buckets, duals, etc. Bad news: One year later my cousin borrowed it and the next day arrives to advise he totaled it. Good news: Replaced it with a 1964 GTO convertible. White, black top, red leather interior. A 389 single 4 barrel carb and automatic. Don't know how I lived throught that wonderful car. My foot was continually stuck on the floor with the gas pedal under it. Foot note: When the '63 went in for it's first oil change, the mechanic at the Pontiac agency, told me I had to take the car back to whoever installed the duals and have them replace the oil filter, since he couldn't get the filter out. I replied "you mean I have to drive it back out to Detroit to the factory for them to replace it"? OOPS.. He eventually figured it out. Raise on lift, unscrew the filter, drop the lift and remove the filter through the top. Then drop the new filter down, raise lift and from underneath replace the filter. I'm 75 now driving my Porsche everyday, and remember every car I've owned in the past 58 years, with great pleasure. I guess I qualify as a gearhead...
Courtney

Camden, ME

#38 May 7, 2013
Pete wrote:
The 1963 Pontiac Lemans is a truly unique automobile and for the longest period of time has been overlooked by collectors and overshadowed by the 1964 GT0. A true automotive buff ,knows that the 1963 Pontiac Lemans was the precursor to the musclecar.In mid 1963, Pontiac offered heavy duty suspension (springs, shocks,carbon metallic brake pads, oversize tires) 4 barrel carburetor , dual exhaust and 20:1 steering ratio coupled to a three tiger V-8 -326 HO cast iron block. All this was available in a very attractive lightweight compact body that featured a unique torque tube drivetrain with an independent rear transaxle suspension. In my travels, I have never seen one these models but I guess a few still exist and probably command a high price can you say "Son of Bobcat".
I live in Maine as well and I own a 63 LeMans. I am having an awful time trying to find wheel cylinders. Do you have any idea where I could possibly find them for this car? Or does anybody?
Jim

Beverly, MA

#39 Dec 24, 2013
The only car I ever sat with the dealer and filled out the build sheet for was for a '63 Lemans 326 HO. Triple blue with buckets, console, duals etc. The first time I took it to the dealer for an oil change, etc., the mechanic told me to take the car to whoever installed the duals and have him change the oil filter. I asked if I had to take it all the way to Detroit since it was factory installed. He had to put car on a lift, reach up from under and unscrew the filter, drop the lift, open the hood, reach down get the filter, then repeat the operation in reverse. LOL. I loved that car. However my cousin totaled it at one year old. No injuries, thank God. Now this turned out be a good thing for me since I needed a car right away and the new car warranty manager, a friend, had taken delivery on a GTO. First one delivered in the state of NJ. I talked him out of it and drove out in a 1964 White, red interior, black top convertible. 389 , 4 barrel, automatic. Don't to this day, some 50 years later know how I survived that car. It was wonderful...
Jim

Beverly, MA

#40 Dec 24, 2013
Sorry for the repeat. Didn't note the earlier post. Old guys do things like that. lol...jim..
baldguy50

Manteca, CA

#41 Jul 19, 2014
Bro Bru Bru wrote:
I had one ,326,4brl,one day went to rebuild engine,
it was .62 over bore from factory! The only thing
I didn't dig ,was why a 2 speed auto? Put Cragers on it ,new paint ,down the road in a Hurry!
I miss her!
In 1963, Pontiac called the engine a 326 but it was actually a 336. The only year they did that and it did indeed have a larger bore than a 326 from the years after.
hyper diaper

Los Angeles, CA

#42 Jul 19, 2014
They don't call them lemons for nothing.
DUAL QUADS

Sacramento, CA

#43 Dec 28, 2014
Pete wrote:
I have a 63 Lemans 326 Pontiac with an Aluminum P 22 dual Quad intake, full gage dash with tech and a 3 speed transaxle that is getting restored now. By the code: Cameno White, Gold interior and a Canvas Tan power top. No power steering or brakes.. Zero miles on a standard bore 326 V8, Looks like a 421 Pontiac V8 with quads, 2.5" mandrel bend exhaust with a Walker Quiet Flow 3 system. Had Vintage Wheels make a set of Chrome wheels for me, 15X6" for the front and15X7" at the rear, they look correct. the 15X7" at the rear are one inch deeper, back space.

This is a Ca. car no rust, we strip all the paint off and the car is in epoxy now.

FOR SALE?
DUAL QUADS

Sacramento, CA

#44 Dec 28, 2014
hyper diaper wrote:
Hi. After a drive in a 63 Lemans years ago, your are right. So I installed a complete C6 Corvette running gear under my car.

LS2 Corvette engine with Dirty Ding Aluminum side mounts, torque tube and the 6 speed rear transaxle, 13" disc all around and some 2006 GTO or G8 18X8" factory wheels. Black 2006 GTO interior fit's like a glove.

After Two years it is almost ready to drive so I cab tell you if it is a Lemons.

3035 LB's stock running gear Heavy and now 2800 LB's because of all the Aluminum. 400HP
duststorm

League City, TX

#45 Mar 31, 2015
hyper diaper wrote:
You know nothing. This was the precursor to the GTO. It was featured in My Cousin Vinny. Ours was an automatic, with the gear shift in the dashboard. You didn't need a gearshift to beat anybody off the line. It was a factory Holly 2 barrel carb., factory V-8. It didn't fishtail like the Mustangs. It didn't need to be souped up or bored out. It was a very safe General Motors car. There is no muscle car that can beat it for gas mileage, pickup. All other muscle cars used too much gas, were too big and boxy. You're just jealous because you never lived it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hippy Crack is a Teen's Popular Getting High Me... 13 hr Newsroom_LA 1
News El Monte considers outlawing overnight parking (Feb '09) 13 hr liop 35
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr The phartss 33,088
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon bayonne nj 21,037
City Council Says They Get It THEY DONT Mon lighterthanyou 34
News Code enforcement using new citation and collect... (Feb '10) Mon Jeri perdue 21
News These nails are bedazzled in all kinds of metal... Mon Spotted Girl 7

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages