San Pedro man convicted in murder case

Full story: Daily Breeze 80
Rufus Lee Atchley, 49, of San Pedro faces 50 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Nov. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Monroe

Westminster, CA

#67 Sep 26, 2010
joey wrote:
ill tell ya this much allll the longshoremen i met are drunks and drug addicts....only in america!
Then you need to stay out of places they hang out STUPID and stop using yourself.
Lucky

Westminster, CA

#68 Sep 26, 2010
about time wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're an ILWU and you're acknowledging there is a drug and alcohol problem within the ILWU and the docks?
Don't play stupid, these condition are in most all work places today. You are just a hater and want to embellish the fact that this occurs on the "DOCKS"
Wow

United States

#69 Sep 26, 2010
Rufus always was crazy, known him since Dana Jr. High!
Realtorgal

Riverside, CA

#70 Sep 26, 2010
Ah, the finest people are always union! What is it that they say, "Live better work union", no thanks! He killed someone because they blew a kiss and disrespected them? really, that is all ti takes? I say let's get that death penalty thing up and running in the state of california again, I don't want to have to pay for this idiot to live on my dime for the next 50 years. I need a better job, I am willing to be the one to pull the lever for these scumbags, heck I will even do it for minimum wage, not longshoreman wages!
Luis From Wilmington

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#71 Sep 26, 2010
Did you know that President Lincoln wanted to repatriate all Blacks back to Africa? It sure would have been nice to pick and choose which ones got to immigrate to the U.S. Now look where we are.
Jones

Westminster, CA

#72 Sep 26, 2010
Hiro wrote:
Utter white trash which is most of what's left in affordable parts of LA area.
Why are white people so stupid?
Hiro you are just a dumb jap, what do you know
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

#73 Sep 26, 2010
Steve Rogers wrote:
Wow, I never realized so many people didn't like longies. Sure there are some people down on the docks that drink or use drugs but most are good upstanding people. When you have thousands upon thousands of people working at the same place you are going to end up with a certain percentage of low-lifes.
That has nothing to do with the work or with the union. It has to do with American culture at large. There are people at every work place that have problems but most places don't have such a wide contingency.
I mean it's just a simple mathematical fact.
You are missing the point.

Yes, the Longies that are addicts are a monority. The problem is that your union doesn't take responsibility for policing its own ranks. ILWU guys have carte blanche- the union will protect them, even if they are selling drugs at work and we ALL know this. If your union even attempted to weed out the bad apples, you wouldn't all be tainted by their behavior. As it is ILWU condones that bad behavior- so it refelects poorly on all of you. If you want that to change then your union needs to get serious about the problem instead of covering it up and enabling. Until then, expect no one in town to trust the ILWU.
Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's just reality. You are judged by the actions of your worst members because your union chooses to do nothing about them.
Ken

West Covina, CA

#74 Sep 26, 2010
Longie Loses it!
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

#75 Sep 26, 2010
Lucky wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't play stupid, these condition are in most all work places today. You are just a hater and want to embellish the fact that this occurs on the "DOCKS"
No, they aren't the conditions in most workplaces.

The rest of us cannot sell drugs openly at work. We can't show up drunk. In the real, non-ILWU world, that gets you fired. Hell, the rest of us have to be careful about having someone take a picture of us at a party with a glass of wine in our hand, in case it ends up on Facebook where an interviewer or a boss can see it.

As slug pointed out- they mentioned the employer of the victim too. That's SOP in any news article. They always say where someone works, docks or not.
Jonesy

Westminster, CA

#76 Sep 27, 2010
Hummer wrote:
Well now Atchley can be the one blowing something else while he rots in jail.
Do people like this really deserve to live? A life of petty crime and he ends it committing a murder. What a POS.
Execute him now and harvest his organs for more deserving people.
His organs are probably not harvest-able. Besides, no one who want them - terminal or not. Can you imagine part of that in your body?! Contaminated before they even leave his God-forsaken body. His liver and kidneys are undoubtedly disintegrating as I type speak. Doesn't have a heart. Or brain cells left for that matter. His lungs must look like two sacks of tar by now. Nose has collapsed. Let him live out what time he has left as somebody's beeyatch. Shouldn't last too long. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Entire family should join him. Worthless beyond repair. End that murky gene pool now. Do society and Pedro an honorable service.
ALJ

Torrance, CA

#77 Sep 27, 2010
I almost made it on that jury, but I was excused by the defense. I really wanted to see that trial.
Glad the jury was able to come to a decision.
D B Cooper

Torrance, CA

#78 Sep 27, 2010
wow, only took the jurors 30 minutes to convict. wonder if he was offerred any plea deals.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#79 Sep 27, 2010
ALJ wrote:
I almost made it on that jury, but I was excused by the defense. I really wanted to see that trial.
Glad the jury was able to come to a decision.
I hope your intended to write, "Glad the jury was able to come to THE RIGHT decision."
LOL

Los Angeles, CA

#80 Sep 27, 2010
Lucky wrote:
<quoted text>
No, "these conditions" are not in "most all work places today."

Most work places that involve dangerous work require that their employees be drug tested on a regular basis, as they should be.

There are many good people working the docks, but a disproportionate amount are not good. Drug users, alcoholics, criminals, etc. Too many, way too many. Particularly when you consider the nature of the work and the potential for accidents and crime.
Denise Johnson

United States

#82 Sep 27, 2010
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Hm... Slug' huh? Good name for you. Come up with that all by yourself? Sit on the sidewalk all day and then have your woman collect welfare, food stamps and cheese because you can't work?
Judging by your comment SLUG, you must be one of the mindless ILWU haters...
Don, get over yourself! San Pedro is comprised of all types of different races and most are white and mexican! Most of the crime there is committed by white or mexican!
To bad the union is getting a bad rep for this but it is what it is! Oh by the way you must be "white trash" or you would not be so insulted! Get a life already dude!
Don

Westminster, CA

#83 Sep 27, 2010
Denise Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don, get over yourself! San Pedro is comprised of all types of different races and most are white and mexican! Most of the crime there is committed by white or mexican!
To bad the union is getting a bad rep for this but it is what it is! Oh by the way you must be "white trash" or you would not be so insulted! Get a life already dude!
And you would know about what 'types' Pedro all the way from the murder capitol of the country, MOTOWN?! Lived here all my life. You must be one of 'them'- that being a ni... oops... Black beytach. Yes, I'm WHITE. EXTREMELY PROUD of it. Not trash. Lily-freakin-white and I LOVE it!!!
Morris the Cat

Long Beach, CA

#84 Sep 30, 2010
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
And you would know about what 'types' Pedro all the way from the murder capitol of the country, MOTOWN?! Lived here all my life. You must be one of 'them'- that being a ni... oops... Black beytach. Yes, I'm WHITE. EXTREMELY PROUD of it. Not trash. Lily-freakin-white and I LOVE it!!!
Rufus is still going down and only hundreds more to go!
Spud Boy

Los Angeles, CA

#85 Sep 1, 2011
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Don... I too grew up in San Pedro and have lived here all my life.
Don't give the rest of us "lily freaking whitey's" a bad name and / or attempt to speak for us. I didn't even once begin to think "ms. johnson" was black until you made your ignoramus comment... And another thing... Get your facts straight. The "convicted's" mother was not an old Chola or a Filipina, she was Japanese (or do all asians look the same to you?) and actually, a very, very nice lady.

To all the longie "defenders", while it is true that there are many, many "clean" longies, having grown up in the harbor area all my life, it's impossible not to notice that there is a disarmingly large amount of druggies and drunks working the docks. You just don't grow up in 'Pedro or Wilmington without knowing them, like it or not. What needs to happen is they should all be subjected to pre-employment drug testing (hair sampling), post-employment "random drug / alcohol testing" (again, including hair sampling), as well as "post accident" drug / alcohol testing, like most industries do. That way, all the "riff raff" could eventually be (pardon the pun) weeded out and longies could become "respectable" once again. Ultimately, we as individuals must be held accountable for our own actions. Not our employer, not our union, not our town and not our family members.
Pedro Boy

Los Angeles, CA

#87 Mar 29, 2013
I've known his brother Lee Atchley for a few years.. Cool dude..our kids play Softball together
Long Beach Yacht Club

Los Angeles, CA

#88 Apr 21, 2013
Clean up the ILWU...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 24 min Fight On 27,930
What is the Worst Feature of the Proposed Monte... (Jan '14) 45 min Theolona Ranger 90
Review: Crystal Pacific Window and Door System (Aug '10) 1 hr Paul 17
Council rejects Kare offer (Sep '08) 1 hr Lena 253
Montebello dependent on imported Water Supply (Aug '13) 2 hr Theolona Ranger 239
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr True blue 19,387
WARNING ALERT!: Ebola hits NYC: CrossFit Solace... 6 hr ALERT 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 24 at 8:52PM PDT

South Pasadena News Video

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match

South Pasadena Jobs

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Pasadena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Pasadena

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]