Council rejects Kare offer

Council rejects Kare offer

There are 298 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Sep 4, 2008, titled Council rejects Kare offer. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Despite a City Council chamber overflowing with supporters young and old, officials rejected a local youth sports league's offer to purchase a piece of land from the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

Amber H

United States

#21 May 28, 2012
I definitely agree that KYL is different than Rio Hondo Prep. I started at KYL and loved the experience; this led me to go to Rio Hondo Prep. However, my 3 years at RHP was the worst. Although the organization says that they prevent bullying, the subject was never discussed in the three years that I attended. In fact, my parents had to get invloved in a case where my 6th grade teacher kept on bullying me about my height (I am on the short side). I was also heavily bullied by my classmates for again, being short and "flat" as they would say (my body didn't develop untill a later age). On many occasions I would be teased in front of teachers and leaders but they would turn a blind eye to it. Again, my parents got invloved and they leaders they spoke with said that they couldn't do anything about it because they haven't witnessed it personally and I could be making it up. Yes, because the times I would go home crying was all an act. Other than that, it was very obvious that the children with parents affiliated with the school were given preferential treatment.
Again, KYL is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Rio Hondo Prep. KYL is a fun family oriented program where as RHP tries to make you "turn against" (for lack of better words) your parents. For example, every year the girls class would go up to Mt. Kare (a camp ground the organization owns) to hold winter camp. During the many church services Ms. Wickstrom (I believe is her name) would constantly tell us that unless our parents wern't trained and followed the Lord through their RHLA program, they are leading us in the wrong direction and just because our parents say we can do something, we sould go and ask our RHP leader if we can indeed to it and if it is "pure". Now, I can understand if our parents were irrisponsible, then this advice may be good. However, when our parents are spending thousands of dollars a year to send us to a school, I doubt they are irresponsible. It was little instances like this and many others that made my parents and myself feel like it was a bit "cult-ish".
Thankfully I after middle school, I began High School at a public school and loved it. I was lucky to attend a high school that gave me the freedom, academics, and caring staff that Rio Hondo Prep did not provide.
Bibi

Encino, CA

#22 Aug 22, 2012
I currently attend Rio Hondo Prep and yes, im an "outsider". Im not "trapped" or in need of any sort of "blessing" because i go here. i can say the same thing about your school if i wanted to. and NO ITS NOT A CULT!!! some of the qualities are of a cult but seriously, its not a cult.Im not related to anyone here except for my younger sister. Yes there are several families there who are related to one another who's adults are leaders at the school but i don't see the big deal in that. they're just my leaders. In all honesty there is definitely an "inside" group consisting of the families who only know KYL. but i guess there really is only "favoritism" with those kids because the families prepare there kids for the sports and events and teach there kids the methods from day one, so the leaders mostly pick them in being the example in their teachings, or giving them the position at the top of the pyramid. but those kids are also some of my best friends. you just have to put some effort into being their friend. But you have to do that everywhere if you want to make a friend.
The High school is based off a "pin system" in which if you go to church, you do what your leaders say and if you attend the required events you will receive a pin with the school symbol on it. What they teach us in every one of the meetings is that we are to love God, be good examples to the kids we coach, be of good character and to mainly listen show respect for others and obey. but they don't "Brainwash" us they just strongly advise their way of living. you don't have to choose it. They may try to convince you to choose it in threatening you in not starting on the volleyball team. scary right? but its still overall your choice. They kick kids out because either they have had years of chances and they still are way out of line or because they're grades didn't quite cut it. as far as my personal relationship with my leaders Ive had many times where they have hurt me emotionally but not seriously. i have had more leaders whom Ive loved than disliked. and like any other school its not perfect. i have had times where i hate it and times where i love it. but i wouldn't say its awful and i wouldn't say everyone should go here. i think its a better option than any public school because you are not around the drugs and drinking and foul language and harassment what so ever. and while this school is very strict they give us so many opportunities to just go out and have fun with our classmates.. if you don't like it, that's fine, God has a different plan for you, but don't obsess over your hatred for this place. that's just weird.
M Corrigan

Williston, ND

#23 Sep 13, 2012
Had an association with Kare Youth League 20 years ago. BAD group, stay away. Run by a very SICK family. Watched them breakup families in the name of their god. They claim its Christ. They suck kids in through their Kare Youth League, then pressure kids to join their church and school, Rio Hondo. They don't tell parents that the school is not accredited and their children will not be able to go to a university when they graduate. Once you associate with them they pressure you to stay. If you try to leave they inundate your child with phone calls, pressure them to return. I knew families that that had to change their phone numbers and one had to move. They would bring the little whores they created to your home to pressure your child to stay in the group. The family members have arranged marriages from within their church and the men usually have a spouse selected by their leader in her teens and 20-30 younger. SICK SICK group. Run like hell!
Truthseeker

Pasadena, CA

#24 Oct 2, 2012
Where Bibi states;

"They may try to convince you to choose it in threatening you in not starting on the volleyball team. scary right? but its still overall your choice.",

Bibi doesn't even recognize that this is mind control, and she, herself, is probably being controlled by the group, already.
Audrey

United States

#25 Jan 21, 2013
I have been following this thread for a few years now just reading what people had to say and digesting it. I think one of the problems is the use of the word cult. When people think of cults, they think of Jonestown and Kool-Aid. Kare Youth League does not reach that level of fanaticism. We can argue until infinity in an effort to determine if Kare Youth League can be defined as a cult. But I wonder if it really matters. It's not a definition of who they are that is disturbing but hearing the stories of those who have left.

I was in Kare Youth League and RHP. When I left, I came out damaged and traumatized. This is one of the few organizations where someone can come forward and say that they have been emotionally or physically abused and find that others vehemently deny their experience. t is not just one or two people that have had the courage to come forward and let people know what happened to them. I think the problem is that most of us were not physically abused but emotionally abused. We cannot show you the scars they have left on us because they are invisible. Maybe if we had bruises on our bodies people would begin to believe us. But, really, we have no way of proving what happened to us.

Defining Kare Youth League is complex and defining someone's experience seems even more complex. It might feel like you hear dozens of different versions of what occurred there. It is equally difficult to explain when, those of us who have left, describe the experience so differently. Some of us come out devastated, others come out disappointed, and some look back at it as a positive experience.

Even though we might define what they are doing as wrong. Most of us won't speak at them with condemnation. I think this is difficult because of the devotion they gave us. When you are a member, people will make great sacrifices for you. Sacrifices that you might always appreciate even if you condemn what they are doing. It is difficult to demonize something that you both love and hate at the same time. Also, many of us have an attachment to those that are still involved and wish them no ill.

I have tried to analyze why our stories can sometimes be so different and I can only offer a possible explanation. They teach their members through fear. Fear of hell. Fear of the world. Fear of disappointing. The older you are while at Kare Youth League or Rio Hondo Prep the more they expect from you. So someone who left in middle school might have a completely different experience from those that left in high school or college. Also, there is a level of devotion. Some of us followed with abject faith while others were able to question what was being taught to us. Those of us who lived with abject faith seemed to be more hurt than those us who were able to question their beliefs while we were involved there.

People have commented on the anger of those that have left the organization. I really don't believe that it is anger. It's really an expression of pain. Imagine having had five, ten, twenty of years of your life stolen from you. You've been denied friendships, love, and something as simple as time to do what you want. I think your anger is the greatest when you first leave. You have nowhere to put the anger. But the outrage does fade. We are not bitter or out to get someone. I think we just want people to listen.

I think what is most important is our stories. Having the ability to share what happened to us. I am curious about what it was like for you when you left. Kare Youth League is shrouded in secrecy and by hearing other people's stories, I am surprised by both the commonalities and the differences. Good memories. Bad memories. It doesn't matter. Even if others deny your experience, there will always be those of us who know and are willing to listen.

Judged:

23

17

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tomar

Corona, CA

#26 Mar 27, 2013
patience is key.
tomar

Corona, CA

#27 Mar 27, 2013
U sound crazy! it was a good thing u left rhp but still u sound crazy.......bla bla condemnation, bla bla . The words u used in the coments r so cultish and scary. Rhp cult u in ways u will never escape them.
joe

Corona, CA

#28 Mar 27, 2013
You are one of them cults, arent ya? I can always smell yall cult stinkers. Yall sound alike and yall married your own siblings. Sick, real sick! Cult families heaton, johnsons, young, hampton, carsons, many more. Look em up. They sick cults! Rhp is a curse! Any Christi ans follow jehova witness are cults, fact! they will cult your kids brains, soon yall kids br spendin all his or her time at school or out with those rhp cult kids. Next thing yall know, hey where my boy, he aint home no more! Then yall get in the truck and yall go find him only to see black and darkness in his face towards yall..the parent, no linger the parent. He or she will see yall as enemies not family that god is his or her family. Always out with them rhp kids, turned against theeir own parents. And that yall heard it here from a father who lost his only son to the rhp cult. I regret with heartache i lost my only once innocent loving son now a controlled cult by rhp! I lost my son to th devils who call themselves rhp christians..pure, not so, brave, not so. Devils in disguise!!! Most them trys to purchase homes around rhp and them succeeded by using them donated money parents suckered into give them. These devils are expanding. Beware! They dont socialize with outside parents.
Joe

Corona, CA

#29 Mar 27, 2013
Well, hey joe! Now i know this big man. Wait a minute! I dont know him at all, the devil has taken over his brain. You my not so dear one, are the creepy devil in disguise and a fat one! Lol!
Joe

Perris, CA

#30 Apr 20, 2013
Would you care to name the teachers you mentioned from pearl?
Sullivan

Perris, CA

#31 Apr 20, 2013
Cults! The teachers and coaches at rio hondo prep/pearl are all related. Yes, it is precisely true. They started allowing outsiders who aren't christians into their schools due to extremely low enrollment of their own christian cult. Then they brainwashed the children into the cult world. How i know is by observation of teachers behaviors and our children behaviors. They entise them with sweets weekly and monthly field trips as i am told.
John Valdez

Diamond Bar, CA

#33 May 28, 2013
Audrey,

Your writing resonates strongly with me. I feel like I know you…

I was 14 years old when I embarked with a group of all boys across the nation on a Kare Youth League/Rio Hondo Prep summer trip. One would think that a 14 year old about to spend the summer sightseeing with his peers would be filled with joy and excitement. But my goal was to be born-again on this trip. This was my last chance. If I couldn't truly have Christ in my heart, how could I be authentic with myself as I took the huge step of beginning high school at Rio Hondo Prep? How could I attend this school without truly being a Kare?

I was miserable the entirety of this trip because this magical thing of Christ living in my heart was just not happening despite my sincerest prayers.
I had been part of Kare Youth League for over seven years. As I grew, Kare Youth League/Rio Hondo Prep had become my life. Nothing outside of Kare mattered, for I spent all of my waking hours there and these folk spoke the word of god. I learned through fear, shame, guilt, self-loathing, that if I could not follow their rules, then I was surely doomed to hell. I do remember them saying that Kare was not for everyone and that not everyone belonged there. But there were strings attached to that message. The strings, for me, were basically that if I could not be a Kare, then I was a failure and doomed to eternal suffering.

So, like you, when I left Kare I was devastated. A failure. Kare’s teachings ingrained in me a form of self-hate that has proven deeply painful. It has taken decades for me to accept the effect that this place had on me and to try and cope with life in a way that is not rooted in fear, guilt and shame. As I enter middle age, I’m still working on dealing with the fall-out of my Kare Youth League experience. The indoctrination of the organization was firmly and deeply implanted within my being.

I have spoken with other former members of this place. People’s experiences, as shared with me, are varied. Some did not feel so traumatized. Others were even more so than I. Far too many have been deeply wounded. When an organization thrives on insularity and fear and guilt, the likelihood of damaging the vulnerable is high. These are children we’re talking about.

It still angers me. A great deal. The anger comes and goes. I think the anger is about the fact that Kare Youth League still exists, thrives even. Rio Hondo Prep still exists. And perhaps not enough people know the stories of those who have suffered abuse as a result of being a Kare.

But yes, I think you’re right when you say that stories like ours are, in large part, an expression of pain.

Thank you for sharing yours.

Judged:

27

23

23

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 13

Pasadena, CA

#34 May 28, 2013
Amber H wrote:
RHP tries to make you "turn against" (for lack of better words) your parents. For example, every year the girls class would go up to Mt. Kare (a camp ground the organization owns) to hold winter camp. During the many church services Ms. Wickstrom (I believe is her name) would constantly tell us that unless our parents wern't trained and followed the Lord through their RHLA program, they are leading us in the wrong direction and just because our parents say we can do something, we sould go and ask our RHP leader if we can indeed to it and if it is "pure".
I internalized similar indoctrination from RHP/KYL. I have been told by fellow former members that they had almost the same exact message preached to them as you describe.

Since: May 13

Pasadena, CA

#35 May 28, 2013
M Corrigan wrote:
Had an association with Kare Youth League 20 years ago. BAD group, stay away. They suck kids in through their Kare Youth League, then pressure kids to join their church and school, Rio Hondo.
They run an excellent year-round sports program which is the main recruiting tool for their organization. The high school football stars have been idolized since RHP's origins. Children's indoctrination begins as young as 5 years of age.

I was a kid in 2nd grade who wanted to play baseball... I became quite good in sports. Unfortunately, I paid for it dearly as I succumbed to their ultra-conservative, fear based, religious indoctrination.

There are other good organizations where children can learn teamwork and form safe relationships with adult role models. I adamantly recommend anyone with children to steer clear of Kare Youth League.

Judged:

28

16

3

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Proud Student

Waianae, HI

#36 Jul 10, 2013
What horror stories? tell me one if you except me to believe that my school the one that helped me learn about God the one that teaches me teamwork helps me be closer to God everyday is a cult it teaches me skills I could actually use and you people are just picking my school apart have you attended Rio ..... if not then don't say "its a cult oh don't send your kids there" You have no idea would you rather send your kids to a public school is that it where there is no exposure to God or the truth at all? and yes I admit that Rio is not for everyone but its only not for the people that don't want to believe in God with all their heart and don't want to follow God.
John Valdez

Diamond Bar, CA

#37 Jul 11, 2013
Proud Student wrote:
What horror stories?
You have a couple of stories just above your comment. I attended Rio Hondo Prep. I was part of the organization for over seven years. I know what it's like.

I also know for a fact that I am not the only one who regrets ever having been a part of Kare.

Guilt, shame, and fear are powerful tools when used to get children to follow preposterous rules for living.

Kare is an insulated little society. They instilled in me an extraordinary skill to hate myself and a torturous fear of eternal damnation.

Can it possibly be a good thing to torture children with the fear of hell?

I think not.

Again, I urge those with children to steer clear of Kare Youth League/Rio Hondo Prep/Pearl Prep. There are many other places where children can learn teamwork, build healthy relationships with adult role models, and get a good education.

I am not anonymous.

Judged:

23

14

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Valdez

Diamond Bar, CA

#38 Jul 11, 2013
I am not from Corona.
I am in the Pasadena area.
Proud Student

United States

#39 Jul 18, 2013
John Valdez wrote:
<quoted text>

Can it possibly be a good thing to torture children with the fear of hell?
I think not.
Again, I urge those with children to steer clear of Kare Youth League/Rio Hondo Prep/Pearl Prep. There are many other places where children can learn teamwork, build healthy relationships with adult role models, and get a good education.
I am not anonymous.


Once again the reason you do not like Rio is because it is christian. You keep saying they scare you by telling you about hell well you should be scared if you not christian because that is where you are going if you don't believe like I said before rio is not for you. And above is not a horror story its just an opinion a horror story is like the refused to let me play sports because i would not accept their religion or junk like that so don't try and sell me that stupidness like that.
Ex Kare

Diamond Bar, CA

#40 Jul 19, 2013
Proud Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again the reason you do not like Rio is because it is christian.
There are Christians who preach love, peace, and who are open and affirming.

I went to Kare too. I am a Christian. As an adult, I found that I could still call myself Christian without having to ostracize those who don't fit the fundamentalist mold and mentality that was preached at Kare.

Kare Church teaches legalistic nonsense. Yes, I agree with Valdez & Audrey above - Kare used guilt big time, fear, and got its members to snitch on each other. Punishment was not being allowed to participate in the all-important athletic events.

Kare idolized athletes.

It is an absurd place, and in my experience does not teach Christ's message of love. They like guilt. They encouraged me to feel guilty for being human.

Judged:

26

12

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
audrey

United States

#41 Jul 19, 2013
tomar wrote:
U sound crazy! it was a good thing u left rhp but still u sound crazy.......bla bla condemnation, bla bla . The words u used in the coments r so cultish and scary. Rhp cult u in ways u will never escape them.
. Shhhhh....just listen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LA City Hall panel backs fining companies for a... 3 hr Robert 2
Poll Did God Intend For The Races To Be Separate? (Sep '12) 3 hr Robert 10
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Chosen Traveler 32,291
Councilwoman Vanessa Delgado Attempted to Extor... 6 hr bottle racket 10
Smugglers use Uber-registered drivers to move m... 6 hr Harry 1
in N out 7 hr master cylinder 7
Marijuana is not a Good Mind Food for Recreation. 11 hr Culture Auditor 1

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages