New Resident

San Leandro, CA

#1 Apr 11, 2013
What does the city of MONTEBELLO have to offer in its park system?

What programs is the city offering that are worth while?

I just came from city of Lakewood and it seems like that city is major
About kids and programs. I'm hoping Montebello can offer some good family friendly activities.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
New Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#2 May 8, 2013
Any feedback?

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#3 May 23, 2013
Check out the cvityy's website. Here is the Parks & Rec listings. The events can be found on the left side.

http://www.cityofmontebello.com/depts/parks/d...
New Resident

United States

#4 May 25, 2013
42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
Check out the cvityy's website. Here is the Parks & Rec listings. The events can be found on the left side.

http://www.cityofmontebello.com/depts/parks/d...
Thank you! I called parks and rec. a lot of good services and programs . I'm surprised that not all the parks are staffed. It looks like only city park is. Why is that? A part timer told me they run most of everything out of city park offices.

Anyway, thanks for the info .
If anyone knows of any community events or programs the city has ill gladly check them out

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#5 May 25, 2013
New Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! I called parks and rec. a lot of good services and programs . I'm surprised that not all the parks are staffed. It looks like only city park is. Why is that? A part timer told me they run most of everything out of city park offices.
Anyway, thanks for the info .
If anyone knows of any community events or programs the city has ill gladly check them out
Grant Rea park has some staff there on weekends. There is also a small waterpark there.

The city is in bad financial straits, but it was worse. The current and immediate past councils have been working to try to fix the terrible financial wreckage left by the Vasquez council majority that came close to forcing the city into receivership, according to many independent audits.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#6 May 25, 2013
Montebello should, by Federal recommendation standards, have about 10 acres of parkland per thousand residents. It has only about 1.6.

The last remaining open space in Montebello is that Montebello Hills. Because of 100 or so years of oil production and pollution, 300 or so oil wells on the site, and the continued oil production on the land, that is the only reasonable use for that land is open space parkland.

The current owner wants to build 1200 condos there instead. Thankfully, there is a threatened bird that has made the Montebello Hills the most important nesting ground in the area, and the Environmental Impact Report was sloppy and innacurate, so the condos are now on hold.

You should come to any city council meeting and voice your desire to have more parkland than condos. Go to Grant Rea and see how the cars park for blocks around, even though Grant Rea Park has about 400 parking spaces.

Also, you can go to saveourmontebellohills.com to see more detailed information provided by the developers of the proposed project that they tried to hide in 5000+ pages of their proposal, but Montebello residents were able to find and expose.
montebello hometown

United States

#7 May 26, 2013
Grant rea actually is not staffed by city employees. All of the groups there are alleged "non profit" organizations. They run sports for local youth. The city actually runs programs at city park. Classes, youth and adult sports, after school program, concerts.

However, I will say grant rea appears to be much more maintained. So I would say the staff you mentioned are full time maintenance staff where as city park has full time programming staff.

Most cities have both.

Call parks and rec and see what type of programs they can offer you.

Keep it local...
Off they go again

Montebello, CA

#8 Jun 2, 2013
Parks and recreation is run by a group of average employees with the brains of Art Barajas that would not be hired in better (most) cities. The past director is still around getting paid for doing almost nothing as she is Christina Cortez' friend and go-to girl inside city hall. The department needs a shakedown as you got to know somebody to get in and be promoted
montebello hometown

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jun 2, 2013
Off they go again wrote:
Parks and recreation is run by a group of average employees with the brains of Art Barajas that would not be hired in better (most) cities. The past director is still around getting paid for doing almost nothing as she is Christina Cortez' friend and go-to girl inside city hall. The department needs a shakedown as you got to know somebody to get in and be promoted
I see good things at city park. You seem to have inside scoop. Past director still getting paid?? What the heck?

Got to know somebody to get in and get promoted? Who is making those calls?

I came from a city that had good park programs (buena park) and Montebello city park has some good programs. Some classes, sr activities, adult leagues, kids leagues, skate park.

What kind of shakedown? Who deserves a promotion that is getting passed on for not knowing someone?

This is kinda big to me. I make sure to get to know my local parks as these are the lifeblood of our communities. Police are very important, but the safety starts in the park. Seems like we have some good workers here that know what it's all about.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#10 Jun 2, 2013
montebello hometown wrote:
<quoted text>
I see good things at city park. You seem to have inside scoop. Past director still getting paid?? What the heck?
Got to know somebody to get in and get promoted? Who is making those calls?
I came from a city that had good park programs (buena park) and Montebello city park has some good programs. Some classes, sr activities, adult leagues, kids leagues, skate park.
What kind of shakedown? Who deserves a promotion that is getting passed on for not knowing someone?
This is kinda big to me. I make sure to get to know my local parks as these are the lifeblood of our communities. Police are very important, but the safety starts in the park. Seems like we have some good workers here that know what it's all about.
Please check out the city's Parks & Rec website shown above.

There are a bunch of good programs and I would recommend you check them out for yourself rather than paying attention to anonymous and unsubstantiated criticism.

Later in the summer, there may be the Concerts in the Park series. It is not very well publicized, and you have to keep your eyes open to the city's website to find out about it, probably at the end of July to August, but they may happen at other times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are People Leaving Your State? 4 min Why 2
Local Politics Do you approve of Art Barajas as ? 56 min Eyes wide open 4
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 58 min Chosen Traveler 35,356
Montebello CC Meeting On Livestream 1 hr Took Back Our City 44
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr cinc tcher 21,379
People in Los Angeles should learn English. 5 hr ThomasA 2
Montebello mega-housing developer 6 hr Wonder Why 4

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages