Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,328)

Showing posts 166,541 - 166,560 of199,071
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Spot

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Freckle's are better for you.
charlie

Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

all i do is win
Howdy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans voted to maintain the definition of marriage as a union of one man and one woman. That's it.
Private American citizens do not vote on Federal Amendments to the Constitution.

That's it.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Californians did it twice in 2000 and 2008. It was in all the papers.
And they will vote on it again if the Supreme Court does not uphold the overturn of Prop 8, and all polls now show Prop 8 now being soundly defeated.

It is just a matter of time, justice will prevail.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Californians did it twice in 2000 and 2008. It was in all the papers.
Yeah, I know Californians did, but the rest of us haven't. You should try being more specific in the future.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Howdy wrote:
<quoted text>
Private American citizens do not vote on Federal Amendments to the Constitution.
That's it.
Howdy.........Doody

What about general Americans? Some where along the way Americans voted. At least at the state level.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know Californians did, but the rest of us haven't. You should try being more specific in the future.
Yes, my bad....citizens in 32 states maybe?
Howdy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Howdy.........Doody
What about general Americans? Some where along the way Americans voted. At least at the state level.
States can put into place any law they deem necessary. However, if that law (or state constitutional amendment) is found to be contrary to the U.S. Constitution, then those laws or state amendments are declared as "Unconstitutional". As in Prop 8 in California.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And they will vote on it again if the Supreme Court does not uphold the overturn of Prop 8, and all polls now show Prop 8 now being soundly defeated.
Will they? Opinion polls and voting polls don't always mesh.
It is just a matter of time, justice will prevail.
Don't forget truth and the American way Super D.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/federal-...

A federal trial court ruled that Nevada can limit marriage to opposite-sex couples in a ruling made public hours before the Supreme Court is due to consider whether it will hear any of several cases addressing same-sex couples' marriage rights.

Judge Robert C. Jones, a George W. Bush appointee, found that the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection of the laws does not "[prohibit] the People of the State of Nevada from maintaining statutes that reserve the institution of civil marriage to one-man–one-woman relationships."

Jones ruled that a prior Supreme Court precedent — a 1972 case, Baker v. Nelson, that denied a same-sex couple's marriage claim as lacking any "substantial federal question" — controlled his decision. Even if not, he ruled that the "exclusion of same-sex couples from the institution of civil marriage" was constitutional "[b]ecause the maintenance of the traditional institution of civil marriage as between one man and one woman is a legitimate state interest."

In reaching his decision, Jones found that a classification like Nevada's marriage law, which distinguishes between heterosexual and homosexual people (his analysis did not address bisexuality), should not be viewed with additional scrutiny, as are laws that distinguish based on sex or race. The analysis, made as part of challenges claiming a violation of the Constitution's equal protection guarantees, asks whether the group claiming discrimination under the law has experienced a history of discrimination and continues to face levels of political powerlessness

Howdy wrote:
<quoted text>
States can put into place any law they deem necessary. However, if that law (or state constitutional amendment) is found to be contrary to the U.S. Constitution, then those laws or state amendments are declared as "Unconstitutional". As in Prop 8 in California.
True, and different judges can interpret the Constitution differently, as we have seen with this issue.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not when the pollsters are biased, we saw that with Faux news in the last election.

However I am talking about a spread of polls different sources

You can hope... hope is about all you have left
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, my bad....citizens in 32 states maybe?
No it is the state legislatures that have to sign off on amendments and you are counting on California as one of your precious 32?

Think again

But it doesn’t matter anyway, republicans are switching sides on the issue now, in droves, if held today, a vote would kill Prop 8 in California, in Nevada as well
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>

I do take my patriotism like some folks take religion. It is ok to make fun, it makes me smile actually, I even agree that I am funny about that. I actually do believe in this nations values, not always its actions, but the values behind it all is what I am a patriot of.

Not a flag, or a set of borders, or a name, but the values. Freedom, justice, equality, a place where one is judged by their actions, not their beliefs, or their race or what have you. I know how I sound when I talk like that… it is funny to me too… but ( shrug ) it is what is important to me.

I don’t know if you ever saw the film "Gettysburg" but the conversations between Chamberlin and Kilrain were some of my favorite scenes. As I am sure you can imagine.

I agree with them both, even though they were as different as night and day
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's Super D!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
...I know how I sound when I talk like that… it is funny to me too…
It's funny to us too! So everybody is having fun! Whoopee!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I was stating a fact, hate does not sell like it used to.
You are free to verbally attack anyone you want to, but no one is not out to deny religious people marriage, the way you are wanting to deny marriage to same sex folks.
You are the one attacking... not me, and not them.
I have yet to see you post facts. Moreover, you take every opportunity to bash anyone who disagrees with equating duplicate sterile halves with marriage using a bigoted judgment of religion.

No one is denying anyone marriage or legitimate rights. We are simply saying get your own, you have never qualified for marriage in any culture at anytime anywhere. Why? Because it is clear they are distinct relationships.

You are attacking and demanding everyone accept your fallacy. Has never happened before, and won't happen this time.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Stocking wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't use the word Monster, why monster? are we living in an anime. Mutation?, may be, but really I think diversity, genetic rarity. Monster has obvious negative implications and mutation, well were you born with regular DNA then something happened to change it. You've said chimera, I'm thinking this is what I call mosaic: a variable mix of XX and XY in any given sample. If that's the case then why use the term monster mutation, other than for dramatic effect. Well, you have the right to call yourself what you like, I was questioning the mental health of it, but then if you're happy I suppose it doesn't matter. Personally I call myself Intersexed with a genetic mosaic.
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
All of this^^^ is exactly why I think KiMare is overladen with bovine excretia. He is either uninformed and a chimera or he's uninformed. My thoughts are that if he were actually a chimera he'd know enough about the term to not make such mistakes. Therefore, it appears to me that he's a bit of an ill informed liar.
The fact that you agree with this part of Stocking's post only affirms that you are as ignorant of a genetic chimera as he is.

There is no 'mosaic' of DNA. There are two complete sets of DNA in me. To top that off, I have a functioning penis and a non-functioning vagina. And don't forget the third nipple.

If anyone deserves the term 'monster mutation', it is me. However, like GLBT's, that is about our physical mistakes. It is not who we are, unless we deny it. Then that distortion becomes something personal, and affects our personal life and those around us.

My challenge to people is walk with fearless honesty as far as you can in every aspect of your life. It is only there you will make the best and healthiest choices in life.

I came on here to understand the issue. What I found was some of the deepest denial in existence. About something as clear and simple as relationship types and sex. I simply put my verbal finger on the denial with reality and watch the mercury squirm.

Smile.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to see you post facts. Moreover, you take every opportunity to bash anyone who disagrees with equating duplicate sterile halves with marriage using a bigoted judgment of religion.
No one is denying anyone marriage or legitimate rights. We are simply saying get your own, you have never qualified for marriage in any culture at anytime anywhere. Why? Because it is clear they are distinct relationships.
You are attacking and demanding everyone accept your fallacy. Has never happened before, and won't happen this time.
Smile.
Firstly, you bash people all the time.

Secondly, history is filled with examples of same-sex marriage; so you lied.

Finally, there are multiple, distinct relationships that result in marriage. Some are for love, some are for family, some are for money, some are prearranged, some are to improve status, etc... See, many reasons for marriage.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
Stocking wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't use the word Monster, why monster? are we living in an anime. Mutation?, may be, but really I think diversity, genetic rarity. Monster has obvious negative implications and mutation, well were you born with regular DNA then something happened to change it. You've said chimera, I'm thinking this is what I call mosaic: a variable mix of XX and XY in any given sample. If that's the case then why use the term monster mutation, other than for dramatic effect. Well, you have the right to call yourself what you like, I was questioning the mental health of it, but then if you're happy I suppose it doesn't matter. Personally I call myself Intersexed with a genetic mosaic.
<quoted text>
The fact that you agree with this part of Stocking's post only affirms that you are as ignorant of a genetic chimera as he is.
There is no 'mosaic' of DNA. There are two complete sets of DNA in me. To top that off, I have a functioning penis and a non-functioning vagina. And don't forget the third nipple.
If anyone deserves the term 'monster mutation', it is me. However, like GLBT's, that is about our physical mistakes. It is not who we are, unless we deny it. Then that distortion becomes something personal, and affects our personal life and those around us.
My challenge to people is walk with fearless honesty as far as you can in every aspect of your life. It is only there you will make the best and healthiest choices in life.
I came on here to understand the issue. What I found was some of the deepest denial in existence. About something as clear and simple as relationship types and sex. I simply put my verbal finger on the denial with reality and watch the mercury squirm.
Smile.
Unless your "mutation" interferes with yourself or society, then it is hardly "monstrous".

Cancer is a "monstrous mutation".

Alzheimer's Disease is a "monstrous mutation".

Being intersexed is not a "monstrous mutation". It may be atypical, but it's not a monstrosity.
WetReport

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Stormy and Calm all at the same time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 166,541 - 166,560 of199,071
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

South Pasadena News Video

•••
•••

South Pasadena Jobs

•••
•••
•••

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••