Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,103)

Showing posts 162,041 - 162,060 of200,235
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
And I post this will all the respect I can deliver. Damn, if I was going to change sides, that would have been the post that did it. But I believe that there must be some sort of middle ground to be reached that satisfies both your needs and my desire to reserve a title for a specific pairing. That is the best case I have heard presented for your side, in spite of all the kudos that your side has heaped upon Chongo/ross-no-hope, for its lunatic, non-stop hatefest insults that even Don Rickles would have cringed at, in embarrassment. To be honest, if Chongo wasn't the foremost champion of your side, I might have loosened up a long time ago. Salute, sir, and BTW, what is yer dogs name, if I may ask? I'm a bit of a softie for critters...
:D
His name is "Taz". It's the name he came with from the shelter.

I tried to change it to "Rusty" (he's kind of the color of dark rust), but he was too old when I got him--about 7 at the time.

He's the strangest dog I've ever had. He has no affection for anybody--not even me. He's always been a loner. I keep him fed and warm. I give him pain meds for the arthritis in his hind legs.

But he's got a good life. He has two beds to choose from. He doesn't want for anything. I'd probably donate a kidney to him if he needed one.

Recently, I thought he was dying. He was losing control of his bowels and seemed very listless. Of course it happened on a Friday evening after the vet had closed. I took him to the vet the next Monday and she listened to his heart and lungs and told me, "Hon, I don't think he's dying... His heart sounds good and is breathing is normal. I just think he's in pain."

That's when she gave me the pain meds. It made a WORLD of difference. He's back up and moving around.

Re: the marriage issue... If same-gender couples were give the same rights and protections as married couples, that would be a huge step.

The only problem would be what to call it. And then everybody would ask, "If same-sex couples are given a license to have all of the same rights and protections of opposite sex couples, then why does it have to be called something else?"

Is it really a matter of the word "marriage"?

If so, why is it so important for the word "marriage" to be associated only with opposite gender couples?

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just curious is all...

I realize that when a man and woman get married, and they live so many years together, it's a very important and deep relationship. Do you think if two guys get hitched it would make heterosexual couples feel that their relationship is less important?

I've got to tell you, I have GREAT respect for married couples. I was in a three year relationship once (I realize that a very short time to many) and after the honey-moon period was over, I recognized that it wasn't always easy to be with him. There were a few times when I said to myself, "The only reason I'm staying is because I made a promise to him that I would be with him for better or worse."

Unfortunately, he didn't take those vows quite as seriously as I did.

When he told me that it was over, I was devastated. I didn't date anyone for over a decade.

But I do know guys who have been together for 20 or 30 years. I'm sure they've had their moments--ups and downs. But for the most part, they're in a permanent relationship. They've made a commitment to one another and won't leave unless somebody dies.

I'll tell you something in my next post...
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not, it is the Federal Mandate that does you moron.
the only federal mandate regarding gay marraige, is the defense of marraige act......which is likely to be ruled unconstitutional soon.

you dont really think the court is going to mandate gay marrige on the federal level?? like with abortion??

just because they are considering the constitutionality of dOMA??

they are a conservative court by nature.....not reallly an activist court.....like in 1973

the least they can do is strike it down and send the issue back to the states to decide!!

which is what is likely to happen...wouldnt you agree??

“Dont hate cuz u aint me”

Lynwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Is it legal

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Randy...

I got my minor in Sociology when I was in college. I have a master's degree in Social Work.

I say that to let you know about my perspective and how I've come to look at the world.

I believe that there are a few things that makes many marriages work...

1.) A marriage in front of God, family, and friends... If I marry somebody in front of God, my family, and my friends, then I can almost guarantee that it's going to be VERY difficult to extricate myself from that marriage if the going gets tough.
If I start talking to a family member or a friend about divorce, they're going to (hopefully) try to talk me out of it. They're going to be a sounding board to help me vent my frustrations.
In short, they're going to keep me to my word.
And same-gender couples REALLY miss out on this. Many of us make a commitment to one another in front of a few friends or in front of no one at all.
The social structure of marriage--the vows, the ceremony, the witnesses--all of that HELPS to hold marriages together.
And I believe if more same-gender couples had the social constructs that would support our unions/marriages, then more of us would marry and stay married.

2.) Legal recognition... If a husband and wife get into a very difficult situation; they fall out of love, one is unfaithful, etc., the process of dissolving a marriage (i.e. divorce) is not only long and difficult, but it's VERY expensive.
Couples know that it's hard to get out of a marriage--even with no-fault divorce.
I read recently that the typical divorce costs about $50,000.
Then there are the problems of custody and dividing property.
I believe that the difficulty of getting out of a marriage actually helps to keep couples together when they're going through a rough patch.
I wish there were some kind of equal process that could hold same-sex couple's feet to the fire when they think about jumping ship.

3.) Children... I think that children are the glue that holds many couples together. The love of a child will keep a parent from ditching their spouse for no other reason than they do not want their child to grow up in a broken home.
This isn't the case today as much as it was in the past.
And while some gay couples have children, not all do. Some judges (who largely make decisions regarding adoptions) still refuse to grant gay couples children.
Though things are better than they were. In 2007, there were an estimated 207,000 children living with same-gender couples. And I'm willing to bet that these couples love their kids just as much as any other adoptive parent.
One of my good friends has been with his partner for over 20 years. They have 3 adopted children. One is special needs.
Their oldest son recently joined the Army. And they couldn't be more proud. They're always posting pictures of him on facebook and going on about him.
And their special needs child would have lingered in foster care for years had they not stepped in.
They are a good, Christian couple. They go to church in a small rural southern town. They have the respect of the community. One owns a studio and the other is in upper management for a local company.
They have the support of their family, their church, and a some of the community.
It's frustrating to them (and me) that they cannot be married.
They're not in a pretend relationship. They're not "playing house".
For goodness sake, they are doing every thing that just about every other married couple does. They just happen to be two men.

----------

I just wish our society would come together and support same-gender couples the way that opposite-gender couples are supported.

As you can tell by some of the comments about homosexuality, many simply DO NOT respect us. They either revile us or fear us. And it's unwarranted!

In my quarter of a century of helping people, I know that I have personally touched the lives of hundreds of people.

Why should they fear someone like me?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Same sex marriage means more wasteful government spending, more intrusive regulations and higher taxes to pay for the whole mess:

In shift, Medicare would pay for sex-change operations

March 29, 2013

For the first time since 1981, when it dubbed sex-change operations "experimental," Medicare has opened the door to covering transexual operations, adding to the growing list of operations that would be allowed under Obamacare.

Acting on a new request, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said it is starting a new analysis that could lift the spending ban for sex-change operations with a goal of making a decision two days after Christmas and on the eve of Obamacare kicking in Jan. 1.

A 30-day public comment period just opened on the proposed "National Coverage Determination."

"Surgical Treatment for Gender Identity Disorder, formerly referred to as transsexual surgery in 140.3, is currently noncovered under the Medicare Part A and Part B programs. The existing policy, which became effective in 1981, states that transsexual surgery is considered experimental," said the notice just posted on the CMS.gov site....
http://washingtonexaminer.com/in-shift-medica...

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did it take only two seconds for numerous people to ask about erasing the 'normally' erased epi-marker mark mistake?
KiMark
I not sure what you mean, but, if you’re inferring that a response to your unfounded post in some way signifies agreement you’re delusional. I responded because you flagrantly present scientific theory as fact and that is very dishonest and irresponsible, especially since you’re not qualified to so. You of all people (being a self-proclaimed genetic mutant) should be wary of anyone errantly proclaiming genetic superiority. And, you of all people (being a self-proclaimed christian) should realize that your god doesn’t make mistakes. So, what are you lying about? Being a mutant, being a christian or both. The entirety of your posts suggest both.
jose cruze III

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

the most advanced anti HIV drugs can easily cost over 1 million dollars a year ,...per patient
Nothing to Do With

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

jose cruze III wrote:
the most advanced anti HIV drugs can easily cost over 1 million dollars a year ,...per patient
You do realize that the vast majority of Aid's cases world wide are of a heterosexual nature,right? Contrary to what you believe Aid's is a disease that crosses all segments of society,gay or straight! Not only gay men but mothers and children also are afflicted with the dreaded disease! Are you also condemning all the unfortunate heteros who have this disease? At any this has nothing to do with the topic at hand! Please go to a thread where that is the subject,I'm sure there are plenty of them!

Lynwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage means more wasteful government spending, more intrusive regulations and higher taxes to pay for the whole mess:
March 29, 2013
For the first time since 1981, when it dubbed sex-change operations "experimental," Medicare has opened the door to covering transexual operations, adding to the growing list of operations that would be allowed under Obamacare.
Acting on a new request, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said it is starting a new analysis that could lift the spending ban for sex-change operations with a goal of making a decision two days after Christmas and on the eve of Obamacare kicking in Jan. 1.
A 30-day public comment period just opened on the proposed "National Coverage Determination."
"Surgical Treatment for Gender Identity Disorder, formerly referred to as transsexual surgery in 140.3, is currently noncovered under the Medicare Part A and Part B programs. The existing policy, which became effective in 1981, states that transsexual surgery is considered experimental," said the notice just posted on the CMS.gov site....
so you want to deny people freedom to be who and what they want?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gangstaprincess wrote:
so you want to deny people freedom to be who and what they want?
If you want a sex change, pay for it yourself. Don't force your neighbors to pay for it by calling it a medical treatment.

Lynwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Technically it is a medical treatment and what the difference tax people pay for abortions which is a negative thing at least a sex change is positive

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If you want a sex change, pay for it yourself. Don't force your neighbors to pay for it by calling it a medical treatment.
Some people are born transgendered. They can't choose how they were born or who they love.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gangstaprincess wrote:
Technically it is a medical treatment and what the difference tax people pay for abortions which is a negative thing at least a sex change is positive
No difference.

Having taxpayers pay for your abortion is just as wrong as having them pay for your sex change operation and medication.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
Some people are born transgendered. They can't choose how they were born or who they love.
Some people were born with big ears; that doesn't mean taxpayers have to pay for your elective cosmetic surgery.

Lynwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No difference.
Having taxpayers pay for your abortion is just as wrong as having them pay for your sex change operation and medication.
well it up to the tax payers let them vote for it

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

There's a thirty day comment period, make sure you tell your representatives how you feel.
Dorn

Ridgecrest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
March 29, 2013
----------
Sexual orientation is different from actually wanting to become the oposite sex.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If you want a sex change, pay for it yourself. Don't force your neighbors to pay for it by calling it a medical treatment.
Well, since it IS medical treatment, how do you get around that? Do you suggest that everyone, including yourself, receive reinsurance coverage only for the basics, and NEVER for reconstructive surgery of any kind?

Because THAT is what "sex change" surgery is.

You can't suggest such restrictions for others unless you accept it for yourself and your family.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Some people were born with big ears; that doesn't mean taxpayers have to pay for your elective cosmetic surgery.
And some people are born without a nose, or with twisted limbs, and you believe they should just be on their own.

I saw a story awhile back about a little boy with half of the top of his skull deformed, so it looked like his head had caved in. You believe that HE should pay for the surgery to correct it, not his insurance, or just live with it.

That's not how it works, and fortunately, YOU don't get to decide.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Dorn wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Sexual orientation is different from actually wanting to become the oposite sex.
If he tried to understand the simple truth that a transgendered person can be gay, straight, OR bi, and it was completely independent their gender, I think he might break out in hives.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 162,041 - 162,060 of200,235
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

South Pasadena News Video

•••
South Pasadena Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

South Pasadena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••