Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
152,581 - 152,600 of 200,588 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174869 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
By not claiming what is in the books that shows homosexuality proves Hudson is not even trying to properly trying to defend pure marriage either, and isn't really interested in supporting God and fighting homosexuality!
Have some more:
Daddy’s Roommate
By Michael Willhoite (Alyson Publications)
Daddy’s Roommate was on of several books that was challenged during the period of Sarah Palin’s inquiries into school libraries in the Wasilla region of Alaska. Palin complained that Daddy’s Roommate-- a book that helps children understand homosexuality--did not belong in the Wasilla Public Library. When Laura Chase, Palin's first mayoral campaign manager, asked if she had read the book, the mayor responded, "she didn't need to read that stuff." Chase told the New York Times that she found it ‘disturbing that someone would be willing to remove a book from the library and she didn't even read it.’ The book has been banned in other circumstances for being age inappropriate and ‘promoting homosexuality.’

Dance on My Grave
By Alan Chambers (Doubleday)
Library Patrons of Texas, a conservative community group, attacked Dance on My Grave and 15 other LGBTQ or sex-themed books in the Montgomery, Texas library. Ultimately, none of the books were removed or restricted. The book tells the story of a 14 year old gay boy and his first gay relationships.

Doing It
By Melvin Burgess (Holt Henry & Co.)
Doing It was one of 55 books that parents in Fayetteville, Arkansas petitioned to have removed from school libraries. The parents formed Parents Protecting the Minds of Children and objected to the profane language and depictions of sexuality in the book. They also accused librarians and other opponents of their efforts of promoting a homosexual agenda. PPMC specifically objected to the novel because of its depictions of casual sex.

The Drowning of Stephan Jones
By Bette Greene (Laurel Leaf)
The Drowning of Stephan Jones was one of 4 books that drew complaints from a parent based on their LGBTQ content. The parent formally complained to Barron High School and despite recommendations from a specially convened committee, the District Administrator decided to ban two of the books immediately. At its September 21, 1998 meeting the Board banned The Drowning of Stephan Jones indefinitely.

The Education of Harriet Hatfield
By May Sarton (WW Norton & Co)
The Education of Harriet Hatfield was removed from Mascenic Regional High School classrooms in New Ipswich, New Hampshire because of its lesbian protagonist. An English teacher was subsequently fired for refusing to remove the book. The book tells the story of a woman who opens a bookstore for women in a blue-collar neighborhood in Boston where she is viciously attacked for being a lesbian.

Eight Seconds
By Jean Ferris (Harcourt)
Eight Seconds is a story about how two high school friends realize that they are gay after a summer rodeo school. The characters are totally aware of the social challenges that they face but are determined to live with tolerance and compassion. Library Patrons of Texas was critical of the book’s depiction of homosexuality, objecting to passages like ‘Poor little yellow-assed cowbaby, can’t even fight your own battles. Need a pretty boyfriend to watch out for you.’ The group tried to have the book removed from Montgomery libraries.

Family Values
By Phyllis Burke (Vintage)
Family Values was one of 55 books that parents in Fayetteville, Arkansas petitioned to have removed from school libraries. The parents formed Parents Protecting the Minds of Children and objected to the profane language and depictions of sexuality in the book. They also accused librarians and other opponents of their efforts of promoting a homosexual agenda. PPMC specifically objected to the book’s discussion of gay parents.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174871 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
By not claiming what is in the books that shows homosexuality proves Hudson is not even trying to properly trying to defend pure marriage either, and isn't really interested in supporting God and fighting homosexuality!
Done yet ?:
Gays/Justice: A Study of Ethics, Society and Law
By Richard D. Mohr (Colombia University Press)
Gays/Justice was one of 55 books that parents in Fayetteville, Arkansas petitioned to have removed from school libraries. The parents formed Parents Protecting the Minds of Children and objected to the profane language and depictions of sexuality in the book. They also accused librarians and other opponents of their efforts of promoting a homosexual agenda. PPMC objects to this book because it endorses stronger civil rights for gay people and opposes organized religion.

Geography Club
By Brent Hartinger (HarperCollins)
Geography Club has recently become one of the most banned and challenged books in the United States. It was banned in the author’s hometown of Tacoma, Washington. More recently, the book has come under fire in West Bend, Wisconsin, where community members object to its presence in the local library because of its ‘immoral’ gay content. Click here for the Kids' Right to Read Project interview with Brent Hartinger.

GLBTQ: The Survival Guide for Queer and Questioning Teens
By Kelly Huegel (Free Spirit)
GLBTQ: The Survival Guide for Queer and Questioning Teens was one of 55 books that parents in Fayetteville, Arkansas petitioned to have removed from school libraries. The parents formed Parents Protecting the Minds of Children and objected to the profane language and depictions of sexuality in the book. They also accused librarians and other opponents of their efforts of promoting a homosexual agenda. PPMC specifically objected to this book because it discusses transgender teens and provides online resources about being gay.

Good Moon Rising
By Nancy Garden (Farrar Straus & Giroux)
Library Patrons of Texas targeted author Nancy Garden’s books, including Good Moon Rising. The book is considered objectionable by the group because it presents homosexuality in a non-judgmental context.

Growing Up Gay in America
By Jason R. Rich (Franklin Street Books)
Local residents reported that there had been several challenges to books in the St. Louis Public library, including Growing Up Gay in America, by a community member who deemed the book and others to be ‘obscene’ and spoke against the books at a city council meeting.

Hey Dollface
By Deborah Hautzig (Bantam)
Library Patrons of Texas attempted to remove this book from Montgomery libraries because it tells the story of two girls’ friendship and blossoming sexuality. The book was reviewed along with several other titles, none of which were ultimately removed.

Holly’s Secret
By Nancy Garden (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
Holly’s Secret was one of a few of Nancy Garden’s books to be challenged by the Library Patrons of Texas after the author became a target for the group. The book was considered objectionable because it presented homosexuality in a non-judgmental context and included phrases like ‘so what’s the big deal…who cares if your parents are both women’ and ‘I don’t care about your moms. At least you’ve got two parents. I wish I did.’

The Homo Handbook: Getting in Touch with Your Inner Homo
By Judy Carter (Simon & Schuster)
The Homo Handbook was one of 55 books that parents in Fayetteville, Arkansas petitioned to have removed from school libraries. The parents formed Parents Protecting the Minds of Children and objected to the profane language and depictions of sexuality in the book. They also accused librarians and other opponents of their efforts of promoting a homosexual agenda. PPMC specifically objected to the book because of its exploration of being gay and coming out of the closet.
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174872 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Its so ridiculous! I do hope Jane DoDo is embarrassed about holding onto his little crush Rose! He ought to be ashamed of himself!
Sorry, loser. I don't respond to shaming.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174873 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean can keep pulling those titles out and throwing them up, complete with pertinent synopsis, but need I ?
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174875 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you are the idiot saying a friendship makes duplicate genders married.
Where did I say that?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174876 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose is a female! How can she be a man? Looks like someone has developed typos, disobeying the voices in your head that you think was of God?
ROFLMAO@you...OMG. It matters not, whether or not Chongo is a man or a woman.
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174877 Jan 13, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
If the topic is Prop 8, then why are you getting busy with name calling ?
Is that a special pleading fallacy? Why yes, it is.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174878 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many smarts! I know what a pic is! I was asking whether you put a pic up of yourself! Why not post a pic of your face? We don't identify people by their legs! Stupid! Why does being a virgin matter so much? Is having sex the only way you feel loved? In fact case you probably aren't even loved in the first place!
OMG, chase your own tail much, do ya ?
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174879 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Go and smoke some more crack. I've dissected Chongo many times, and you make many lies, like now. You're a joke. You may now explain how those evasions of his serve as him putting me in my place. I ask questions that he cannot answer, and you claim that as victory. You are about as irrational as he is, to claim that.
Rose is female, oh great and wonderous dipshit.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174880 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
The first of the seven churches was Ephesus, look, a biblical illiterate, being biblically illiterate and not caring is what really matters hudson, which is like you, instead of being illiterate with spelling.
Let me clue you in, idiot boi, Chongo is a "buy-bull" denier, not biblically illiterate. Stay focused.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174881 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Taking it all on Chongo? I thought you don't reject people!
No. it's you and Chongo, against the world, remember ? Try asking Chongo aka rose-no-no, really nicely, to put up a picture of his/her face....
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174882 Jan 13, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Liza Lott often tosses around fancy legal terms in an attempt to imply he is a lawyer.
He doesn't believe in equal rights for people he doesn't like so he brings up obscure court cases and Latin mumbo jumbo in an attempt to conceal his hypocrisy.
Like I ask him why he is against equal rights for poly and he says "ex parti domino nexus" or some such nonsense.
I never implied I was a lawyer.
When did I use Latin mumbo jumbo? The only Latin I know is: Futue te ipsum!
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174884 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Making stuff up? Some blacks are evil, we don't generalize of course, but many blakcs have proven themselves to be! And who said Jesus didn't die for them?
No, of course we don't, even though you just did. You didn't say "all people have their evil types".... Just like that old racist never includes "Asians" in her racist remarks about who Jesus died for...
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174883 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO@you...OMG. It matters not, whether or not Chongo is a man or a woman.
It doesn't? Then why are you so opposed to same sex marriage?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174885 Jan 13, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't try and suck up to Rose_NoHo she'll rip you a new fundie icehole!
She hates fundies more than she hates Mr. Hudson and I!
And Chongles hates THE HELL out of you and I, doesn't he/she ?
Frankies Pudenda

Hoboken, NJ

#174887 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>
No. it's you and Chongo, against the world, remember ? Try asking Chongo aka rose-no-no, really nicely, to put up a picture of his/her face....
Like that matters....
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174889 Jan 13, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Making stuff up? Some blacks are evil, we don't generalize of course, but many blakcs have proven themselves to be! And who said Jesus didn't die for them?
Excuse me ??!!?? Who just got done posting this: "Look, a black! She can't even spell! Blacks are blue collar works often because they really don't care about the high life!"
ROFLMAO again...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#174890 Jan 13, 2013
Frankies Pudenda wrote:
<quoted text>
I never implied I was a lawyer.
Darn, Liza, you must have had us fooled....I must have mistaken your presence in here as practice for litigational skill-honing....
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#174891 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>
If the topic is Prop 8, then why are you getting busy with name calling ?
Your use of Pacman as a choice of options shows you are no more than an isolated working class hillbilly who relies on the internet and uses it to replace his life, since he really hasn't got one, and if he has, can't live for one day and accept it for what it is. The fact that he didn't use Xbox, or call of duty, or whatever games the kids play these days, shows he is so ignorant, and isolated. He doesn't have a TV, so no commercials to pick it up from, hasn't been to many peoples houses who have kids and saw call of duty on the kids shelves or an Xbox in their rooms, never seen an Xbox in stores, never passed by game stores, and probably lives in an isolated little suburban town!
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#174893 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>
And the monkey screeches and throws feces. If you have gotten angry, then I have laughed at you for it. Foolish of you to try to sound educated and knowledgeable. You have exposed yourself, and you have done this long ago, with your first post..
I meant to say have you gotten angry, when denied you have. A typo of mine lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suspected gang member stands trial in East Vali... (Sep '10) 1 hr karma 32
Los Angeles Marble Cleaning Home Services (Jun '08) 1 hr Cory Trevor 3
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr lazy posts 15,963
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin Nation 27,086
Producers needed A.S.A.P. 4 hr opinion 2
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Fri Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
•••

South Pasadena News Video

•••
•••

South Pasadena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE