Mike Card to return to Capitola Police Department as chief

The city's next police chief will be a familiar face. William "Mike" Card, who left the department in 2005 to take a police chief position in Sheridan, Wyo., will come back to lead the Capitola Police Department early next year, city officials announced Friday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Capitola

Tarzana, CA

#1 Sep 5, 2009
"Card was the only applicant for the job, City Manager Rich Hill said. The city conducted a "sole recruitment process" and offered Card a one-time, three-year contract with an annual salary of $140,000, Hill said."

Only one applicant - amazing.

I have one thing to say: Craigslist.
Planner

San Francisco, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2009
Sounds like a disappointment for the folks in Sheridan. Winter in Wyoming is a little tougher than Capitola though. I wonder if this was just a career move for Mr. Card or he decided he didn't like it in Wyoming? Hope it works out for everyone.
Dave

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Sep 5, 2009
so how many pensions will tax payers be forking out for this guy? It's the classic scam, retire and move, retire and move ... tax payers get screwed... he becomes a millionare over the next 10 yrs
Local worker

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2009
Maybe the first thing the new chief should do is teach his officers in Capitola not to drive eratic and slow down before some citizen gets killed.
Westside

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Sep 5, 2009
Welcome back, Mike! This is very good for our entire County...
Cardsuckadick

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Sep 5, 2009
Local worker wrote:
Maybe the first thing the new chief should do is teach his officers in Capitola not to drive eratic and slow down before some citizen gets killed.
Exactly. These guys race through town all the time. I especially like the running of red lights for no reason and the illegal U turns. Capitola PD is unprofessional and lacking training.
Exactly

Watsonville, CA

#9 Sep 5, 2009
Local worker wrote:
I have complained to Cap PD about this and their response was basically an arrest has priority over the safety of the public.
Capitola HR

Saint Helena, CA

#10 Sep 5, 2009
Let's look at the calls for service his currrent department handles:
09P008099 Cat Violation N MAIN ST Officer: S Justice Dispo: INA
Time Arrived : 09:27 Time Completed : 09:28 Clearance Code: H71
Comments: RP reports a cat is in a trap at this location.
GREAT!
www.city-sheridan-wy.com/newsDetail.php ...
Capitola HR

Saint Helena, CA

#11 Sep 5, 2009
Let examine this innovative leader:
"Informing the public with daily reports of police activity posted online" = TWITTER
"creating an outreach program for the dispatching center" = email
"becoming active in community events, such as the holiday food drives" = collecting canned food in uniform.
"monthly street festivals and Rodeo Week"= walking around in uniform and approving Police overtime to work the festivals.
OUTSTANDING!!
Cutting edge. Thank god there are no gangs or criminals in Capitola.
Capitola

Tarzana, CA

#12 Sep 5, 2009
Dave wrote:
so how many pensions will tax payers be forking out for this guy? It's the classic scam, retire and move, retire and move ... tax payers get screwed... he becomes a millionare over the next 10 yrs
It should be illegal!
JFS

Pahoa, HI

#13 Sep 5, 2009
What a bunch of winers on this blog...cry babies.

Why not something positive once in a while?
longtimelocal

United States

#14 Sep 5, 2009
I'd bet there isn't one of the idiots posting here that knows Mike Card. I do and I'm glad he's coming back. He's well educated (masters and law degree) and professional plus he knows Capitola. If stupidity were an arrestable offense, all the bitcher posters on here would be in jail.

Welcome back Mike!
Pompous

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Sep 5, 2009
longtimelocal wrote:
I'd bet there isn't one of the idiots posting here that knows Mike Card. I do and I'm glad he's coming back. He's well educated (masters and law degree) and professional plus he knows Capitola. If stupidity were an arrestable offense, all the bitcher posters on here would be in jail.
Welcome back Mike!
How many times did he try to pass the bar exam without success?
Top gun

Los Gatos, CA

#16 Sep 5, 2009
Pompous wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times did he try to pass the bar exam without success?
Pompous, where did you get your information? Are you one of those former CPD underachievers, complainers, and snivelers who never completed your formal education and never made a significant contribution to the police department?
Santa Cruz Local

San Jose, CA

#17 Sep 5, 2009
Who gives a crap? Why is this news? Tops news at that?
stop complaining

Pacific Grove, CA

#18 Sep 5, 2009
you cry babies
Nick

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Sep 5, 2009
stop complaining wrote:
you cry babies
wake from your slumber you dummy ! the US is broke, we've been printing & borrowing trillions of dollars! posts here about gov pensions are valid comment.
pun dit

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Sep 5, 2009
perhaps the outgoing chief got in trouble when he wouldn't hide the fact that they gave kirby nicol a ride home when he so stupidly called 911. perhaps there was pressure on him to retire so that card could come back & bend over for the city council. why else would he leave a plush job in beautiful downtown wyoming when he really didn't want to? the only applicant?

makes for a good dime novel....or would that be a nicol novel?
Tia

Fremont, CA

#21 Sep 5, 2009
longtimelocal wrote:
Welcome back Mike!
You say he has a law degree, which generally means someone has successfully completed law school - is that the case, or do you mean he has a degree in criminal justice?
longtimelocal

United States

#22 Sep 5, 2009
Tia wrote:
<quoted text>
You say he has a law degree, which generally means someone has successfully completed law school - is that the case, or do you mean he has a degree in criminal justice?
He has a law degree from an accredited law school in addition to his masters degree. I believe his masters degree is in criminal justice but I'm not 100% sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garvey closed from walnut to Rosemead blvd... 16 min Streye 1
Licon and Montebello Blvd incident today ??? 49 min Wonder Why 4
Hollywood is Mutilating Women in the War on Women 1 hr Culture Auditor 3
Van Nuys man expected to be charged with attemp... (Oct '09) 1 hr Arlofkshtup 54
It is customary for the men to pay 3 hr Rich 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr UnderstandPeople 19,376
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr R TRUTH 27,913

South Pasadena News Video

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match

South Pasadena Jobs

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Pasadena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Pasadena

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]